00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

sabukai just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Looking For XLR Microphone Recommendations

619 Views | 11 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I'm setting up a home studio to start up a career in voiceover. Already got an interface picked out, but I'm looking for some affordable XLR recommendations that won't compromise on quality.

Response to Looking For XLR Microphone Recommendations 2022-02-17 12:18:43

At 2/17/22 11:04 AM, EvictedOne wrote: I'm setting up a home studio to start up a career in voiceover. Already got an interface picked out, but I'm looking for some affordable XLR recommendations that won't compromise on quality.

So I brought a at2020 condenser mic. Metal build and it sounds sexy. I have xlr wire connected to a duel pre-app connected to my pc. It’s a great mic. I used it for all of my

audio ive done on newgrounds. Check it out

The British voice actor of justice!

BBS Signature

Response to Looking For XLR Microphone Recommendations 2022-02-17 13:10:55

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Looking For XLR Microphone Recommendations 2022-02-17 17:47:24

At 2/17/22 11:04 AM, EvictedOne wrote: I'm setting up a home studio to start up a career in voiceover. Already got an interface picked out, but I'm looking for some affordable XLR recommendations that won't compromise on quality.

What's your budget brother

Response to Looking For XLR Microphone Recommendations 2022-02-18 07:38:42

At 2/17/22 05:47 PM, Sardinky wrote:

Aiming to keep the microphone below the $200 mark, if possible.

Response to Looking For XLR Microphone Recommendations 2022-02-18 07:39:52

At 2/17/22 12:18 PM, Ollytobblez wrote:
So I brought a at2020 condenser mic. Metal build and it sounds sexy. I have xlr wire connected to a duel pre-app connected to my pc. It’s a great mic. I used it for all of my

After reviewing your content, I've settled on your suggestion. Thanks, Olly!

Response to Looking For XLR Microphone Recommendations 2022-02-18 14:25:17

At 2/18/22 07:38 AM, EvictedOne wrote:

LCT 240 Pro is always a good option, or if you can scrounge the money for an LCT 440 pure that thing can almost match $1k microphones. The AT2035 is a common reccomendation. Pretty flat, with a little bit of brightness.

My personal favorite which I can highly reccomend, is the Aston Origin. It's right at the top of your budget, but man is it good. That's what I used for my 2021 Character reel. Probably the only mic you'd need for a while.

For lower registers though - as in your voice may be deeper - I'd say anything from AKG tbh. Their capsule builds are much better for that.

Hope this helped ♥️

Response to Looking For XLR Microphone Recommendations 2022-02-18 14:57:42

At 2/18/22 02:25 PM, Sardinky wrote:
LCT 240 Pro is always a good option, or if you can scrounge the money for an LCT 440 pure that thing can almost match $1k microphones. The AT2035 is a common reccomendation. Pretty flat, with a little bit of brightness.

My personal favorite which I can highly reccomend, is the Aston Origin. It's right at the top of your budget, but man is it good. That's what I used for my 2021 Character reel. Probably the only mic you'd need for a while.

For lower registers though - as in your voice may be deeper - I'd say anything from AKG tbh. Their capsule builds are much better for that.

Hope this helped ♥️

Unfortunately I've already made the order for an AT2020, but thank you very much for your consideration and recommendations! If this works out, I can justify an upgrade down the line and try one of them out.

But thank you again. That's the kind of advice I wish I'd held out for. ❤

Response to Looking For XLR Microphone Recommendations 2022-02-18 17:06:37

At 2/18/22 02:57 PM, EvictedOne wrote:
At 2/18/22 02:25 PM, Sardinky wrote:

Hope this helped ♥️
Unfortunately I've already made the order for an AT2020, but thank you very much for your consideration and recommendations! If this works out, I can justify an upgrade down the line and try one of them out.

But thank you again. That's the kind of advice I wish I'd held out for. ❤

Ahhh all good. Hope you like your choice then!

I do have a hardware assistance thread somewhere down the line as well if you need any help with other recommendations, or setting up a recording chain. Be sure to check it out or ask any questions if needed.

Cheers!

I believe the AT2020 is an excellent choice, a lot of the people in the VA Collab use it and the results are great.

I use a Røde NT1-A myself, but I'm kinda late to the party it seems D:

In other news:

At 2/17/22 01:10 PM, Sequenced wrote: sm58

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Nonononononononono!

I have an SM58 myself, which is a brilliant mic for singing, but for voice acting it is the absolute worst fucking mic imaginable.

The 58 is a dynamic mic, meaning the mechanism that translates vibrations to an electrical signal hinges on the strength of those vibrations. If you're belting your lungs out, not much of an issue. If you're looking to record yourself whispering, you're better off using the mic of a 1st gen smartphone: the combination of the lack of energy in high frequencies with the low volume of a whisper means you'll hardly record anything through a 58. And even when you're belting, there's a significant high frequency drop-off which you don't want for voice acting.

Instead, for VA you'll want a condenser mic like the AT2020 or the NT1-A, which is fed 48V to power the mechanism instead of relying on the incoming signal only. This gives the frequency response you need to produce usable results.

(@Sequenced thanks for triggering me :D )

Response to Looking For XLR Microphone Recommendations 2022-02-19 11:43:25

At 2/19/22 01:33 AM, LuckyDee wrote: I believe the AT2020 is an excellent choice, a lot of the people in the VA Collab use it and the results are great.
I use a Røde NT1-A myself, but I'm kinda late to the party it seems D:

In other news:

At 2/17/22 01:10 PM, Sequenced wrote: sm58
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Nonononononononono!

I have an SM58 myself, which is a brilliant mic for singing, but for voice acting it is the absolute worst fucking mic imaginable.

The 58 is a dynamic mic, meaning the mechanism that translates vibrations to an electrical signal hinges on the strength of those vibrations. If you're belting your lungs out, not much of an issue. If you're looking to record yourself whispering, you're better off using the mic of a 1st gen smartphone: the combination of the lack of energy in high frequencies with the low volume of a whisper means you'll hardly record anything through a 58. And even when you're belting, there's a significant high frequency drop-off which you don't want for voice acting.

Instead, for VA you'll want a condenser mic like the AT2020 or the NT1-A, which is fed 48V to power the mechanism instead of relying on the incoming signal only. This gives the frequency response you need to produce usable results.

(@Sequenced thanks for triggering me :D )

i mean, he did say he wanted cheap

LMAO

i use a rode NT1 mic too. its fantastic.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Looking For XLR Microphone Recommendations 2022-02-19 14:48:14

At 2/18/22 07:39 AM, EvictedOne wrote:
At 2/17/22 12:18 PM, Ollytobblez wrote:
After reviewing your content, I've settled on your suggestion. Thanks, Olly!

No

problem brother happy to help

The British voice actor of justice!

BBS Signature