00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

novaruah just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music

2,736 Views | 40 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello everyone. I currently run a small "Promotion Channel" on YouTube/Twitter called "Okapi Music"; part of EOM (Electronic Okapi Music).

I'm currently looking for underrated & undiscovered artists all around the world & have them promote their music onto my channel. It won't make much of a difference within the first two years or so, but after the channel grows a little, it'll hopefully pay off, & the artists will get the credit they absolutely deserve. This is my plan for EOM & really soon, it'll become a reality!

I also fall under underrated/undiscovered since I post my own songs to the channel as well.

I also plan on turning the channel into a label in the near future; for now, it'll be for promoting. At the moment, the channel post every Monday & Thursday; sometimes, I post on the weekends in case of certain holidays.

If you want to get your music onto my brand new label, NV&N, plz send me an .mp3 demo, via my PM's or my email at okapimusicinc@gmail.com. I accept almost ALL electronic music - House, Dance, Techno, Trance, Hardstyle, Dubstep, Drum N' Bass, Drumstep, Glitch Hop, Chipstep, Cinematic, & other subgenres!

Your music has to be "100% copyright-free"; I really don't want claims/strikes on YouTube.

Audio Guidelines:

• No less than 2 minutes
  • No more than 9 minutes
  • 320kbps .mp3

Thanx!!

EOM

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2021-11-18 19:11:01

At 11/18/21 06:28 PM, EOM-Promotion wrote: Hello everyone. I currently run a small "Promotion Channel" on YouTube/Twitter called "Okapi Music"; part of EOM (Electronic Okapi Music).
I'm currently looking for underrated & undiscovered artists all around the world & have them promote their music onto my channel. It won't make much of a difference within the first two years or so, but after the channel grows a little, it'll hopefully pay off, & the artists will get the credit they absolutely deserve. This is my plan for EOM & really soon, it'll become a reality!
I also fall under underrated/undiscovered since I post my own songs to the channel as well.

I also plan on turning the channel into a label in the near future; for now, it'll be for promoting. At the moment, the channel post every Monday & Thursday; sometimes, I post on the weekends in case of certain holidays.

If you want to get your music onto my brand new label, NV&N, plz send me an .mp3 demo, via my PM's or my email at okapimusicinc@gmail.com. I accept almost ALL electronic music - House, Dance, Techno, Trance, Hardstyle, Dubstep, Drum N' Bass, Drumstep, Glitch Hop, Chipstep, Cinematic, & other subgenres!
Your music has to be "100% copyright-free"; I really don't want claims/strikes on YouTube.

Audio Guidelines:

Thanx!!
EOM

Hey check some stuff I have loaded up id appreciate the feedback

untitled #1756408 (newgrounds.com)

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2021-11-19 10:02:56

What's the actual benefit of anyone doing this? I feel like this kind of this is parasitic if I'm honest. You're setting up a business where your asking other people to produce content for your platform for free, with little to no reward for the creator.

What's your background in the industry? What's your educational background? Do you have an affiliation with a publishing house and distribution? How old are you?

Not meaning to attack you as an individual but musicians don't want, or need, anymore "record labels" that are just teenagers in there bedroom reposting other people's work on a YouTube page, artists are better off doing that for themselves.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2021-11-19 13:58:19

At 11/19/21 10:02 AM, AkioDaku wrote: What's the actual benefit of anyone doing this? I feel like this kind of this is parasitic if I'm honest. You're setting up a business where your asking other people to produce content for your platform for free, with little to no reward for the creator.
What's your background in the industry? What's your educational background? Do you have an affiliation with a publishing house and distribution? How old are you?
Not meaning to attack you as an individual but musicians don't want, or need, anymore "record labels" that are just teenagers in there bedroom reposting other people's work on a YouTube page, artists are better off doing that for themselves.

I only did this because I have a friend on here who does the same thing (NV&N). Because it's a new project of mine, there's no affiliation. I'm 24 years old (9/25/1997). And no, I'm not a teen.

At 11/19/21 01:58 PM, EOM-Promotion wrote:
At 11/19/21 10:02 AM, AkioDaku wrote: What's the actual benefit of anyone doing this? I feel like this kind of this is parasitic if I'm honest. You're setting up a business where your asking other people to produce content for your platform for free, with little to no reward for the creator.
I only did this because I have a friend on here who does the same thing (NV&N). Because it's a new project of mine, there's no affiliation. I'm 24 years old (9/25/1997). And no, I'm not a teen.

Sorry, it's just a bizarre practice to me. I feel like everyone these days starts accounts called X-Promotions with no audience, no foundation or real idea of what they're doing and ultimately it devalues creatives work. It's something I'm generally very critical of.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2021-11-20 03:57:53

At 11/19/21 03:20 PM, AkioDaku wrote:
Sorry, it's just a bizarre practice to me. I feel like everyone these days starts accounts called X-Promotions with no audience, no foundation or real idea of what they're doing and ultimately it devalues creatives work. It's something I'm generally very critical of.

You might be right about the approach but ultimately things like this have to be tried over and over for people to learn what works. You wouldn’t encourage someone to quit or to not learn about the standards you listed

hell, if I had electronic music that would fit and the time to convert the files to send in I would send something in, any place that might create decent organic grassroot traffic in some way would only be beneficial to be reposted by

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2021-11-20 09:23:33

At 11/20/21 03:57 AM, Boss wrote:
You might be right about the approach but ultimately things like this have to be tried over and over for people to learn what works. You wouldn’t encourage someone to quit or to not learn about the standards you listed

hell, if I had electronic music that would fit and the time to convert the files to send in I would send something in, any place that might create decent organic grassroot traffic in some way would only be beneficial to be reposted by

Yeah I see what you're saying and I'm not meaning to be discouraging. I just feel like if your calling yourself a promoter then you should at least be putting on regular real world events before you start touting yourself as such online. I just take issue with people conflating being a promoter or record label with simply curating other people's material online. Apologies though if I'm being overly critical.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2021-11-20 14:00:56

At 11/20/21 09:23 AM, AkioDaku wrote:

Yeah I see what you're saying and I'm not meaning to be discouraging. I just feel like if your calling yourself a promoter then you should at least be putting on regular real world events before you start touting yourself as such online. I just take issue with people conflating being a promoter or record label with simply curating other people's material online. Apologies though if I'm being overly critical.

I think that’s a smart distinction, that a lot of people are actually curating material and probably shouldn’t call themselves a label anytime too soon, but I do think the people that try that long enough learn lessons about what it takes to be a more legitimate small label rather than solely a content curator

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2021-11-21 04:06:08

At 11/20/21 02:00 PM, Boss wrote:
At 11/20/21 09:23 AM, AkioDaku wrote:

I think that’s a smart distinction, that a lot of people are actually curating material and probably shouldn’t call themselves a label anytime too soon, but I do think the people that try that long enough learn lessons about what it takes to be a more legitimate small label rather than solely a content curator

Beautifully put, I fully agree. 👏

BBS Signature

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2021-11-21 04:13:55

iu_477536_51279.gif

BBS Signature

At 11/18/21 06:28 PM, EOM-Promotion wrote: Hello everyone. I currently run a small "Promotion Channel" on YouTube/Twitter called "Okapi Music"; part of EOM (Electronic Okapi Music).

Audio Guidelines:

Thanx!!
EOM

This sounds interesting. I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2021-12-02 03:22:23

Audio Guidelines:

Thanx!!
EOM

I don't mind if you want to repost some of my stuff, just make sure to link them to me and credit me.

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2021-12-02 16:07:36

TL;DR OP wants y'all to work for free.

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2021-12-03 02:04:37

Yeh I agree with you. But I would surely join if the Record Label is large enough to make me known.

Artist please check out my art, and musician please check out my music.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2021-12-03 12:44:33

lol, go make your own content for your shitty youtube channel.

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2021-12-03 12:56:27

Listen to this ripe tune

https://youtu.be/m9kv3hCKR_I

BBS Signature

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2021-12-03 15:27:00

At 12/3/21 12:56 PM, Dangerous-D wrote: Listen to this ripe tune

dubstep really sounds like shit. can't believe I used to listen to it when I was in highschool.

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2021-12-03 21:42:15

At 12/3/21 03:27 PM, Xorberax wrote:
At 12/3/21 12:56 PM, Dangerous-D wrote: Listen to this ripe tune

dubstep really sounds like shit. can't believe I used to listen to it when I was in highschool.

I've been making fun of it since 2011

BBS Signature

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2021-12-05 13:35:01

At 12/2/21 03:22 AM, CorruptModule wrote:

Audio Guidelines:

Thanx!!
EOM
I don't mind if you want to repost some of my stuff, just make sure to link them to me and credit me.

I always link vids in the End Screen :)

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2021-12-05 13:37:01

At 12/3/21 12:44 PM, Xorberax wrote: lol, go make your own content for your sh!#ty youtube channel.

This is actually my 3rd channel & my own music is on there. If you see another artist with "Okapi" in its name on the channel, that's me.

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2021-12-10 21:42:25

At 11/19/21 03:20 PM, AkioDaku wrote: Sorry, it's just a bizarre practice to me. I feel like everyone these days starts accounts called X-Promotions with no audience, no foundation or real idea of what they're doing and ultimately it devalues creative work. It's something I'm generally very critical of.

I totally feel that, man. Whenever I try to get someone or something discovered, I find it on my own, and show it to everyone I know and make public posts about it if I really feel it's that necessary. But I will never be advertising myself as a promoter, because I don't like the idea of someone asking me to push their shit if I didn't hear it before they asked. One thing is for sure, when someone who is just an average joe comes out and says "hey, check out this new band I heard!!", I'm probably gonna check it out. When it's some social media account dedicated to just reposting people's shit, I'm not gonna even listen to a note of what they recommend, because I know there's a much higher chance that they are only pushing it because they were either paid to, or because they want views on their shit which isn't even theirs to begin with. They want attention and followers but they don't want to make the shit themselves, so they prey on those who do make it themselves and haven't gotten anywhere, just for some views. I understand that this person claims they put their own music on, and they make their own music, but the fact that they call their own music "underrated" just goes to show how unreliable this shit is. You can't even promote your own shit properly enough for you to be happy with what little attention it gets, so how can I trust that it's gonna do me any good whatsoever to hand my shit over to you? How do you expect to help anyone out at all by promoting them when you clearly can't promote shit very well?

If you want me to check someone else's stuff out, don't send me a link to it on your profile. Send me that artist's link. Just because you tell people to check someone's song out, doesn't mean you deserve all the views for it. The artist does. The artist actually MADE it. You didn't! You just reposted it. And if you want me to check someone else's stuff out, it better be because you actually think I should hear it, because you think it's that good. Not because you were paid to tell me that, or because you get views if I actually do get curious enough to check it.

This post will actually appear at the bottom of this page.

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2021-12-30 19:46:17

At 12/2/21 02:42 AM, SomeGuyMusic wrote:

Audio Guidelines:

Thanx!!
EOM

Thanx :) BTW, I saw your message on Gmail a month ago; the EOM version of "Home" is now up on YouTube.

SomeGuy - Home | EOM Fanmade

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2021-12-30 21:02:15

At 12/30/21 07:46 PM, EOM-Promotion wrote:
At 12/2/21 02:42 AM, SomeGuyMusic wrote:

Audio Guidelines:

Thanx!!
EOM
Thanx :) BTW, I saw your message on Gmail a month ago; the EOM version of "Home" is now up on YouTube.
SomeGuy - Home | EOM Fanmade

Sounds awesome!

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2022-01-04 19:39:01

At 12/3/21 12:44 PM, Xorberax wrote: lol, go make your own content for your shitty youtube channel.

I do make my own content; it's on my main channel. I have some of my songs on this channel.

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2022-01-05 02:21:33

At 12/10/21 09:42 PM, KillerRATband wrote:
At 11/19/21 03:20 PM, AkioDaku wrote: Sorry, it's just a bizarre practice to me. I feel like everyone these days starts accounts called X-Promotions with no audience, no foundation or real idea of what they're doing and ultimately it devalues creative work. It's something I'm generally very critical of.
I totally feel that, man. Whenever I try to get someone or something discovered, I find it on my own, and show it to everyone I know and make public posts about it if I really feel it's that necessary. But I will never be advertising myself as a promoter, because I don't like the idea of someone asking me to push their shit if I didn't hear it before they asked. One thing is for sure, when someone who is just an average joe comes out and says "hey, check out this new band I heard!!", I'm probably gonna check it out. When it's some social media account dedicated to just reposting people's shit, I'm not gonna even listen to a note of what they recommend, because I know there's a much higher chance that they are only pushing it because they were either paid to, or because they want views on their shit which isn't even theirs to begin with. They want attention and followers but they don't want to make the shit themselves, so they prey on those who do make it themselves and haven't gotten anywhere, just for some views. I understand that this person claims they put their own music on, and they make their own music, but the fact that they call their own music "underrated" just goes to show how unreliable this shit is. You can't even promote your own shit properly enough for you to be happy with what little attention it gets, so how can I trust that it's gonna do me any good whatsoever to hand my shit over to you? How do you expect to help anyone out at all by promoting them when you clearly can't promote shit very well?

If you want me to check someone else's stuff out, don't send me a link to it on your profile. Send me that artist's link. Just because you tell people to check someone's song out, doesn't mean you deserve all the views for it. The artist does. The artist actually MADE it. You didn't! You just reposted it. And if you want me to check someone else's stuff out, it better be because you actually think I should hear it, because you think it's that good. Not because you were paid to tell me that, or because you get views if I actually do get curious enough to check it.

This. This x1000.

I understand that these desires to make promotional channels may come from a good place but here's the thing: you're probably counting on something going viral so that the whole channel can benefit. It... doesn't necessarily work like that.

Also, ever heard about oversaturation? There's loads of promotional channels now and I have supported a few, but why, specifically, should I support OP's?

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2022-01-05 18:23:19

At 1/5/22 02:21 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 12/10/21 09:42 PM, KillerRATband wrote:

This. This x1000.

I understand that these desires to make promotional channels may come from a good place but here's the thing: you're probably counting on something going viral so that the whole channel can benefit. It... doesn't necessarily work like that.

Also, ever heard about oversaturation? There's loads of promotional channels now and I have supported a few, but why, specifically, should I support OP's?

That reminds me.

I've got acquaintances who see being under a label/promotional brand as an absolute must, but they don't realize that there's only a few labels that really get big, the rest might as well be unknown.

The entire point of a label is to leech off of what somebody else is doing in exchange for exposure.

Except most things labelled as labels these days don't even fulfill that criteria.

I've seen a few that are literally just a Youtube channel with 5 views per video.

Labels in that sense mean basically nothing, and the bigger ones are a copyright mess that often ends up leaving their artists with no rights to their own creations. While I realize this isn't strictly music, it's still a label;

Look at Machinima.

That's as good an example as any. Most people ended up leaving Machinima, doing shit for themselves, and being way better off for it.

Anyways, tangent over, I completely agree.

I thought for sure this thread was still alive because it was successful for one reason or another.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2022-01-05 18:50:51

At 1/5/22 06:23 PM, Geekygami wrote: I've got acquaintances who see being under a label/promotional brand as an absolute must, but they don't realize that there's only a few labels that really get big, the rest might as well be unknown.

The entire point of a label is to leech off of what somebody else is doing in exchange for exposure.
Except most things labelled as labels these days don't even fulfill that criteria.
I've seen a few that are literally just a Youtube channel with 5 views per video.

Labels in that sense mean basically nothing, and the bigger ones are a copyright mess that often ends up leaving their artists with no rights to their own creations. While I realize this isn't strictly music, it's still a label;
Look at Machinima.

That's as good an example as any. Most people ended up leaving Machinima, doing shit for themselves, and being way better off for it.

To address your tangent—

As someone with some industry knowledge, being completely indie does not necessarily translate to being better off / being able to license one's music.

I know this from the experiences, and receipts, of freelancers who have needed to trade away the rights to their music to the indie game dev in question, in order to live, because the gig was fairly lucrative but it was the only one they were going to be able to access for a long time.

All of this boils down to a combination of luck, understanding of contract and copyright law, the jurisdiction that your agreement falls under, and whether or not you can afford to not take the gig at any given time. That's all there is to it. Labels may be egregious in failing musicians, but so can indie creatives — so there need to be these systems in place.

And, ideally, if possible, membership of a Musicians' Union, because they can provide legal representation where an individual can't on their own due to cost and lack of bargaining power.

To briefly return to the subject of the thread however, I still feel that these are considerations that OP likely hasn't considered. The legal ramifications of something like this, to begin with. What they are and aren't allowed to do with a track they promote, and what happens if that agreement is breached. Where they're gonna get their audience from.

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2022-01-27 16:31:31

Cool! I've sent over an email!

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2022-02-21 11:44:04

At 1/27/22 04:31 PM, PaperSkies wrote: Cool! I've sent over an email!

Let me guess: a remix of a song from TheFatRat? "We'll Meet Again"?

Response to I'm a Promoter/Label looking for NewGrounds Music 2022-02-26 16:38:20

i have a lot future proyect like this, im so versatile in music genders i make dubstep house futurebass etc...

here is my most recent song