00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Johndewey just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What inspired you to do animation?

7,318 Views | 81 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Really interested to know what drove you to do animation?

What inspired me to do animation was all the cartoons (mainly shows like The Powerpuff Girls, Courage and Ed, Edd n Eddy) I watched as a kid. I would watch the credits to see the names of all the people who worked on those great shows, I'd draw the characters and make up stories for them.

Later on in my teens, I finally decided I wanted to work on animation.

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-10-18 01:46:48

Uhh Newgrounds Sprite cartoons. I thought people made them in the game but it turned out to be flash instead. Learned that I could just download flash myself.

"In matters of taste there can be no disputes."

BBS Signature

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-10-18 20:52:26

I was six and watched the special features on the monsters inc DVD. Everyone at pixar was on segways and playing pool.

I wanted to have a segway! Working at Pixar looked so cool. So then I started animation.

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-10-21 18:32:56

I was inspired by a YouTube animator who primary used Microsoft Paint (it was 2006).

But it was Zeurel's 2009 EFN 2: Brother that knocked me fully into animation.

BBS Signature

I like drawing. I'm creative. I like to invent things. I have dozens of OC's. I am good at telling stories and I'd like to bring my characters to life. I have the potential to be a good voice actor.

I guess I expressed an interest in doing animatibecause cartoons were an escape mechanism.

Films like Who Framed Roger Rabbit inspired me to want to go into animation in art school.

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-10-21 19:25:30

At 10/21/21 07:09 PM, yoyonachos wrote: I really enjoyed cartoons and comics growing up and I started drawing comics when I was 12 that's what inspired me

I remember drawing a lot of comics when I was 10-11 as well. Always went to my room after school and would draw various characters in some cool situations. Sadly, I threw them all away when I was 15 out of sheer embarrassment and kinda regret it now. Would've been cool to see how far I came since I was 10.

At 10/21/21 07:25 PM, AfroEuropean wrote: Sadly, I threw them all away when I was 15 out of sheer embarrassment and kinda regret it now. Would've been cool to see how far I came since I was 10.

That is very sad, mate!

I've kept all my drawings since the time I was 6-7. I'm 50 now and have been a pro animator for 25+ years.

I've scanned hundreds of my childhood drawings and every now and then I look at them. Reconnecting with one's younger self can bring purity and help deal with the cynicism that accumulates with age and disappointments.

There is a quote from Shamus Culhane which I loved very much: "The wastepaper basket is your best friend. To do something over, because you're not satisfied with it is not a defeat but a victory." I agree with it, and have always reminded of it during my traditional animation days in the 1990s.

But I also made an amendment: "You are free to discard drawings within 7 days of creation. After that you can only look at them."

It's a rule that helps you filter out bad drawings, but also ensures you have context and your own personal history - with all the ups and downs.

Please, keep your drawings from now on!

Member of Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for Flash character animation

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-10-21 22:16:23

At 10/21/21 06:45 PM, ngman7 wrote: I like drawing. I'm creative. I like to invent things. I have dozens of OC's. I am good at telling stories and I'd like to bring my characters to life. I have the potential to be a good voice actor.

I guess I expressed an interest in doing animation because cartoons were an escape mechanism.

Films like Who Framed Roger Rabbit inspired me to want to go into animation in art school.

- FIXED.

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-10-22 08:24:36

At 10/21/21 08:44 PM, ntilcheff wrote:
At 10/21/21 07:25 PM, AfroEuropean wrote: Sadly, I threw them all away when I was 15 out of sheer embarrassment and kinda regret it now. Would've been cool to see how far I came since I was 10.
That is very sad, mate!
I've kept all my drawings since the time I was 6-7. I'm 50 now and have been a pro animator for 25+ years.
I've scanned hundreds of my childhood drawings and every now and then I look at them. Reconnecting with one's younger self can bring purity and help deal with the cynicism that accumulates with age and disappointments.

There is a quote from Shamus Culhane which I loved very much: "The wastepaper basket is your best friend. To do something over, because you're not satisfied with it is not a defeat but a victory." I agree with it, and have always reminded of it during my traditional animation days in the 1990s.
But I also made an amendment: "You are free to discard drawings within 7 days of creation. After that you can only look at them."
It's a rule that helps you filter out bad drawings, but also ensures you have context and your own personal history - with all the ups and downs.

Please, keep your drawings from now on!

I've learned from it and still have drawings I made from when I was 14-15, so around 6 to 7 years ago. I have them all collected in maps so that I can always can go back and think "what was I thinking", "what inspired me to make this" and "kinda grew much more, huh".

Probably gonna never throw them away.

It would probably have to be animation memes that were the main driving force for me animating. (I know it's cringe lol)

💖🌈A Quirky Artist & Creator with a Rainbow of Interests!🌈💖

BBS Signature

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-10-22 13:52:50

At 10/22/21 11:25 AM, ChromaCee wrote: It would probably have to be animation memes that were the main driving force for me animating. (I know it's cringe lol)

That's okay. Everyone has his own way into wanting to be an animator. Remember: all roads lead to Rome.

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-10-22 21:31:59

Oh Edd Gould :(

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-10-22 21:33:48

What drove me to do animation were , Fairly Odd Parents, Sonic X and Avatar the legend of Aang.

started of drawing comics when i was 11 or so and then got my hands on Adobe Flash CS3 and the rest is history

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-10-23 05:51:58

My initial inspiration was weird as fuck. I remember seeing some really shitty simpsons ms paint cartoon in spanish on youtube back in the day and wanting to make something like that on my own. Of course over the years I watched a lot of old newgrounds animators (Eddsworld, Oney, etc.), as well as being around other people like me who were putting out their own shit. I actually wanted to go to school for it and enter the industry for years but now it’s more of a hobby. I’m mostly into the art, writing, and music side of the production than actually making something move onscreen.

goose pepper? she gonn make it

while watching cartoons as a kid, I quite clearly remember favoring the ones where the animation looked more complex and less simplistic, yet just imperfect enough... where characters were seen from tons of angles and moved around so much, with variety and ambition, exaggerated and fantastic!

for example, I was obsessed with anything to do with Avatar: The Last Airbender despite having barely caught it on TV, I fell in love with Sonic X and binged it online, and I happily caught the occasional episode of Sailor Moon and Futari wa Pretty Cure -- while I always sat through, say, The Fairly Oddparents a bit annoyed. Disney movies didn't really do it for me either?

when I started making OCs and realized I too wanted to make my stuff look cool that way, that was it lmao.

I settled into that mindset very slowly throughout teenagehood and my mental state at the time made it hard to be remotely consistent, but when I managed to finish some things I just felt so much satisfaction from it and always wanted to make more :D

of course, improving my technique, being in a better place than I used to be and having access to more content from the internet to be motivated by (more anime to watch, finding amazing indie animators online, following anisong/vocaloid-adjacent projects, all sorts) did wonders.

I've also improved my sense of storytelling and expanded my cultural baggage/sources of knwoledge/ways of thinking in a way that made me want to tell more interesting nuanced stories... I guess all of that grew at the same time. now I also have the aspiration of wanting to deliver the worlds and ideas in my head aesthetically, with intent and nuance, with the right mediums.

the process can be so tiring (esp the refining process. I'm at that stage for a project atm and I wanna unalive lmaoo), but the result just makes it all so worth it. :,)

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-10-23 07:26:07

At 10/21/21 06:45 PM, ngman7 wrote: I like drawing. I'm creative. I like to invent things. I have dozens of OC's. I am good at telling stories and I'd like to bring my characters to life. I have the potential to be a good voice actor.

I guess I expressed an interest in doing animation because cartoons were an escape mechanism.

- FIXED.

Cartoons were very escapist for me when I was coming up. I didn't have too many friends. Comics and video games were very escapist too but not as much.

I was a casual gamer and I didn't really read too many comic books.

Comic strips, yes, but not comic books.

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-10-23 08:17:41

At 10/22/21 09:33 PM, Reaxx wrote: What drove me to do animation were , Fairly Odd Parents, Sonic X and Avatar the legend of Aang.
started of drawing comics when i was 11 or so and then got my hands on Adobe Flash CS3 and the rest is history

Avatar and FOP are great shows (or at least the first 5 seasons of FOP were great). Always enjoyed watching both shows.

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-10-23 10:14:29

At 10/23/21 07:26 AM, ngman7 wrote:

- FIXED.

Cartoons were very escapist for me when I was coming up. I didn't have too many friends. Comics and video games were very escapist too but not as much.

I was a casual gamer and I didn't really read too many comic books.

Comic strips, yes, but not comic books.

I have a bunch of ideas for toons and comics I want to produce and some of them have been looming around since childhood.

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-10-23 11:49:09

Primarily just my love for art and telling stories. As stereotypical as it sounds my Anime phase from the early 2010s played a big part in it. But I'd say it really started in NewGrounds in 2018. Right before the Tumblr nonsense I joined hearing the stories from OneyPlays and SleepyCabin and loved the idea of a creative centric community. After that I did more with animation, art, comics, audio dramas and have even started to learn code to make edgy games.

So while Anime peaked my interest, NewGrounds is what really did it for me.

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-10-23 12:51:04

yea they were good, i stopped watch FOP after they introduced chloe

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-10-23 13:28:14

At 10/17/21 03:50 PM, AfroEuropean wrote: Really interested to know what drove you to do animation?

What inspired me to do animation was all the cartoons (mainly shows like The Powerpuff Girls, Courage and Ed, Edd n Eddy) I watched as a kid. I would watch the credits to see the names of all the people who worked on those great shows, I'd draw the characters and make up stories for them.

Cartoon Network. Enough said.

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-11-03 11:41:31

When I watched series on TV, I liked series such as the Fairly oddparents, Courage, Fosters home for imaginary friends , the Powerpuff girls, in my adolescence MLP and Galaxia Wander, that time Craig MC Cracken became the first reason to start to animate

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-11-03 18:27:18

At 10/17/21 03:50 PM, AfroEuropean wrote: Really interested to know what drove you to do animation?

Newgrounds animators. It didn't really occur to me till recently, but all my favorite animators all originate from this website. I don't even really watch TV animation.

What got me off my ass in the first place though was the FNF animation jam.

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-11-04 16:52:55

Beavis and Butthead and Koko the Clown/Betty Boop and Pop Eye and Felix the Cat.

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-11-04 20:37:21

I was inspired by a YouTube animator who mainly uses Microsoft Paint (2006).

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-11-07 00:34:58

Primary, Eddsworld as well as the classic NG flash cartoons. Brackenridge, and the Larry series made me strive to make my work better.

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-11-09 10:04:12

uhhhhhh, nothing

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-11-09 15:09:52

Funny that a friend asked me this not long ago. To answer this question, I will say that some animations has inspired me to do animations. Sprite animations such as SMBZ, Power Star (Mario), Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom to name a few and also some good story-based video games inspired me to go animating stuff on my own. :D

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-11-12 09:32:47

I always liked to draw, but the concept of a alit of drawings making movement + Pivot animations + Sakuga scenes

We're what made me choose my path in life

Response to What inspired you to do animation? 2021-11-12 14:04:33

For what I've done, animation vs animator was super cool to watch back in the day, and I really liked stickmen beating the shit out of each other

D

BBS Signature