00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TreeSap2001 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates!

14,331 Views | 48 Replies
Respond to this Topic

API Tools Update


@PsychoGoldfish launched a big update to the API Tools in our project system!


This update applies to game developers who want to integrate our Newgrounds.io API for high scores, medals and other assorted features like stats and event tracking.


Previously, if you clicked “API Tools” on your project page, it took you to our old layout and defaulted to our Flash API, with the Javascript API (Newgrounds.io) as the alternate option. Now, our Javascript API is presented as the default. Existing Flash games will see the old layout for now.


This new layout includes a number of quality-of-life improvements. For example, you can now drag multiple medal icons into the upload box and it will let you set them up sequentially from there. You can also manually arrange the order of your medals, so you no longer need to add medals in the exact order you want them to appear. The suggested medal size is now 100x100. Our system now packs your medals into a spritesheet, so the game view page only needs to load a single image regardless of how many medals you have. This makes a huge difference on games like Achievement Unlocked 2.


If you access your stats page, the old Flash-based graph has been replaced with a non-Flash graph you can actually see.


Everything throughout the process has been streamlined for better ease of use and less confusion. Take some time poking around and let us know what you think!


The next update is in progress and will address both project owner mod tools and site moderator tools. We decided to push part of this live ahead of time so people can use it in our July Jam.


SharedArrayBuffer


Under your Project Details form, when you upload a game file we offer file-specific options, such as touch screen friendly and gamepad support. 


We’ve added a new option, “Uses SharedArrayBuffer.” Enable this option if your game requires SharedArrayBuffer, something some game engines like Unity and Godot use for enhanced performance. For security reasons, browsers have locked down on how SharedArrayBuffer works, meaning pages that use it can’t load third party content without that content having the appropriate settings. For example, at the moment if SharedArrayBuffer is enabled on a page, embedded YouTube videos won’t work on that page.


This is a confusing and evolving area. If you upload a game to NG and it doesn’t work, check your browser console and if it says your game requires SharedArrayBuffer, enable it under your project settings and that should solve it.


Expect bumps in the road because of how new this stuff is. Let us know if anything is broken!


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-19 17:50:30


At 7/19/21 05:27 PM, TomFulp wrote: API Tools Update

@PsychoGoldfish launched a big update to the API Tools in our project system!

This update applies to game developers who want to integrate our Newgrounds.io API for high scores, medals and other assorted features like stats and event tracking.

Previously, if you clicked “API Tools” on your project page, it took you to our old layout and defaulted to our Flash API, with the Javascript API (Newgrounds.io) as the alternate option. Now, our Javascript API is presented as the default. Existing Flash games will see the old layout for now.

This new layout includes a number of quality-of-life improvements. For example, you can now drag multiple medal icons into the upload box and it will let you set them up sequentially from there. You can also manually arrange the order of your medals, so you no longer need to add medals in the exact order you want them to appear. The suggested medal size is now 100x100. Our system now packs your medals into a spritesheet, so the game view page only needs to load a single image regardless of how many medals you have. This makes a huge difference on games like Achievement Unlocked 2.

If you access your stats page, the old Flash-based graph has been replaced with a non-Flash graph you can actually see.

Everything throughout the process has been streamlined for better ease of use and less confusion. Take some time poking around and let us know what you think!

The next update is in progress and will address both project owner mod tools and site moderator tools. We decided to push part of this live ahead of time so people can use it in our July Jam.

SharedArrayBuffer

Under your Project Details form, when you upload a game file we offer file-specific options, such as touch screen friendly and gamepad support. 

We’ve added a new option, “Uses SharedArrayBuffer.” Enable this option if your game requires SharedArrayBuffer, something some game engines like Unity and Godot use for enhanced performance. For security reasons, browsers have locked down on how SharedArrayBuffer works, meaning pages that use it can’t load third party content without that content having the appropriate settings. For example, at the moment if SharedArrayBuffer is enabled on a page, embedded YouTube videos won’t work on that page.

This is a confusing and evolving area. If you upload a game to NG and it doesn’t work, check your browser console and if it says your game requires SharedArrayBuffer, enable it under your project settings and that should solve it.

Expect bumps in the road because of how new this stuff is. Let us know if anything is broken!

first comment


azerka man

BBS Signature

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-19 18:12:26


At 7/19/21 05:27 PM, TomFulp wrote: API Tools Update


Expect bumps in the road because of how new this stuff is. Let us know if anything is broken!


After clicking on a medal clicking on "back" does not work as it should, it only moves you to the top of the screen.


Русский военный корабль, иди нахуй!

And release [the Leopards-done] ATACMS & F-16s!

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-19 18:19:05


These sorta under the hood changes are the kinds of things people don't think too much about but make a world of difference. Just the small easy of use aspects of the medals were really stuck in 2010 and it's great to see them be updated to modern standards, and the load as sprite should do wonders for page load times.


Incredible work, Josh!


Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-19 18:19:41


At 7/19/21 05:27 PM, TomFulp wrote: API Tools Update

@PsychoGoldfish launched a big update to the API Tools in our project system!

This update applies to game developers who want to integrate our Newgrounds.io API for high scores, medals and other assorted features like stats and event tracking.

Previously, if you clicked “API Tools” on your project page, it took you to our old layout and defaulted to our Flash API, with the Javascript API (Newgrounds.io) as the alternate option. Now, our Javascript API is presented as the default. Existing Flash games will see the old layout for now.

This new layout includes a number of quality-of-life improvements. For example, you can now drag multiple medal icons into the upload box and it will let you set them up sequentially from there. You can also manually arrange the order of your medals, so you no longer need to add medals in the exact order you want them to appear. The suggested medal size is now 100x100. Our system now packs your medals into a spritesheet, so the game view page only needs to load a single image regardless of how many medals you have. This makes a huge difference on games like Achievement Unlocked 2.

If you access your stats page, the old Flash-based graph has been replaced with a non-Flash graph you can actually see.

Everything throughout the process has been streamlined for better ease of use and less confusion. Take some time poking around and let us know what you think!

The next update is in progress and will address both project owner mod tools and site moderator tools. We decided to push part of this live ahead of time so people can use it in our July Jam.

SharedArrayBuffer

Under your Project Details form, when you upload a game file we offer file-specific options, such as touch screen friendly and gamepad support. 

We’ve added a new option, “Uses SharedArrayBuffer.” Enable this option if your game requires SharedArrayBuffer, something some game engines like Unity and Godot use for enhanced performance. For security reasons, browsers have locked down on how SharedArrayBuffer works, meaning pages that use it can’t load third party content without that content having the appropriate settings. For example, at the moment if SharedArrayBuffer is enabled on a page, embedded YouTube videos won’t work on that page.

This is a confusing and evolving area. If you upload a game to NG and it doesn’t work, check your browser console and if it says your game requires SharedArrayBuffer, enable it under your project settings and that should solve it.

Expect bumps in the road because of how new this stuff is. Let us know if anything is broken!


Cool, thet will be pretty useful when i release my game


Man old emojis were much better

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-19 18:30:57


Will the Construct 2 NewGrounds API plug-in still work with this update, be very sad if it doesn’t :(



bubba gump

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-19 18:55:54


Looks like game changing features started being added, that's awesome!


Fools need tools -._-. and also please clean your room...

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-19 19:01:15


At 7/19/21 06:30 PM, LeviRamirez wrote: Will the Construct 2 NewGrounds API plug-in still work with this update, be very sad if it doesn’t :(


If it is using the older encryption from the Flash API, you can access that via the Advanced link in the top right corner of the settings page.


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-19 19:15:29


Yo this is really exciting - I love seeing these features getting the love they deserve. Awesome work PG!


These powerful and easy game tools are what excited me about the Flash era, and I really hope bringing it along into the future ecosystem is going to inspire many new talented devs, and lead to more fun and dynamic games on NG.


Would love to see how the API evolves and expands further.


Hi, you! You're awesome, probably! <3 Have a great day!

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-19 19:31:41


I'm tempted to update my medal icons to 100x100, since I already have those for many of my games on Steam...

And for the rest I could be lazy and use Waifu2x to upscale.


BBS Signature

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-19 19:33:08


Oh interesting


I am the guy who asked, Alloy fan or something,

BBS Signature

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-19 20:25:57


Been anticipating the API update for awhile


Banner by @MigMoog

BBS Signature

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-19 20:29:52


This is amazing!


At 7/19/21 05:27 PM, TomFulp wrote: The suggested medal size is now 100x100.


Minimum or Maximum?


OviVixen Master Demo (18+)

BBS Signature

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-19 20:36:57


App stats page is empty, even after adding an event


Banner by @MigMoog

BBS Signature

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-19 20:43:52


I don’t believe it uses the old one, I always had to use the .io link to get achievements and shit to work. Hopefully it’s fine! I’ll test it out with my game jam ig lol



bubba gump

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-19 21:10:39


At 7/19/21 08:43 PM, LeviRamirez wrote: I don’t believe it uses the old one, I always had to use the .io link to get achievements and shit to work. Hopefully it’s fine! I’ll test it out with my game jam ig lol


If you are using anything from newgrounds.io, you are good to use the current default settings.

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-19 21:29:51


Thanks man, luv ya babe



bubba gump

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-20 07:37:29


At 7/19/21 08:31 PM, OviManic wrote:
At 7/19/21 05:27 PM, TomFulp wrote: The suggested medal size is now 100x100.
Minimum or Maximum?


Recommended minimum of 100x100 to be more future-proof.


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-20 09:06:03


This is exciting news for WebAssembly stuff, been meaning to get started on some.


BBS Signature

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-20 10:15:48


Nice! I’ll have to check this out more fully when I get back from vacation. The medals were a sore spot in the past, so looking forward for sure.

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-20 11:00:57


can you make artist upgrades, i will never use these features!


first post feature


None

BBS Signature

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-20 13:16:12


still no easyrpg support

sad


Octillery Social Credit Test DX | Octillery VS Collection

You ever take a rat...cut it open, stick your pee pee in, let it live? You remind me of that rat.

BBS Signature

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-20 14:35:43


At 7/20/21 01:16 PM, JOEYTHEMARILLFAN wrote: still no easyrpg support
sad


If EasyRPG exports to HTML5, we should be able to support it. What specifically isn't working with EasyRPG games on NG?


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-20 14:46:34


At 7/20/21 02:35 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 7/20/21 01:16 PM, JOEYTHEMARILLFAN wrote: still no easyrpg support
sad
If EasyRPG exports to HTML5, we should be able to support it. What specifically isn't working with EasyRPG games on NG?

RPG Maker 2003/EasyRPG doesn't have scripts.

Pretty sure it would be really difficult if not impossible to add stuff like medals to EasyRPG/RPG Maker 2003 games.



Octillery Social Credit Test DX | Octillery VS Collection

You ever take a rat...cut it open, stick your pee pee in, let it live? You remind me of that rat.

BBS Signature

Backing out of the medal view when playing a game just scrolls the window to the top, and doesn't actually back the medal box to the medal list


Clicking on the id and security key doesn't actually copy to my clipboard, and I can't highlight the key because it automatically un-highlights it.


Also, trying to highlight the medal IDs makes the medal box pop up, preventing me from copying and pasting them as well


Love that I can order my medals now! Great work!


BBS Signature

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-20 19:33:00


thank you tom fulp now I can create video games on newgrounds that use threading as I refuse to learn any language that isn't C or C++


At 7/20/21 07:35 PM, tehdroopy wrote:
At 7/20/21 07:33 PM, CuckyDev wrote: thank you tom fulp now I can create video games on newgrounds that use threading as I refuse to learn any language that isn't C or C++
For what reason? And which one do you like more, C or C++?


I prefer C over C++, but I use both. the main reason that I use them is that I prefer to be in control of my program's execution, performance, memory usage, all that crap. most languages and game engines abstract that stuff and can make it pretty difficult to figure out where something's going wrong, so I'd rather just cut out the middleman.

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-20 22:13:22


Thank goodness! I've been wanting to do more C projects on the web(and Newgrounds), specifically with threading, so this is going to help a lot.

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-20 23:36:35


Oh hey, I asked you about this yesterday! Awesome!