00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme
Upgrade Your Account!

Attention! We're rallying new Supporters to help us keep ads off Newgrounds!

Please consider becoming a Supporter today!

Shout out to @travsaus for megaphone tankman!

Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates!

9,720 Views | 52 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-20 19:35:27

At 7/20/21 07:33 PM, CuckyDev wrote: thank you tom fulp now I can create video games on newgrounds that use threading as I refuse to learn any language that isn't C or C++

For what reason? And which one do you like more, C or C++?

"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that won't work"

~Thomas Edison.

Embrace failure, embrace mistakes, each one is another step to success.

At 7/20/21 07:35 PM, tehdroopy wrote:
At 7/20/21 07:33 PM, CuckyDev wrote: thank you tom fulp now I can create video games on newgrounds that use threading as I refuse to learn any language that isn't C or C++
For what reason? And which one do you like more, C or C++?

I prefer C over C++, but I use both. the main reason that I use them is that I prefer to be in control of my program's execution, performance, memory usage, all that crap. most languages and game engines abstract that stuff and can make it pretty difficult to figure out where something's going wrong, so I'd rather just cut out the middleman.

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-20 22:13:22

Thank goodness! I've been wanting to do more C projects on the web(and Newgrounds), specifically with threading, so this is going to help a lot.

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-20 23:36:35

Oh hey, I asked you about this yesterday! Awesome!

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-20 23:58:39

At 7/19/21 05:27 PM, TomFulp wrote: Expect bumps in the road because of how new this stuff is. Let us know if anything is broken!

When you're on a game's page, and you click on one of the medals, and then you click "Back" it just scrolls up the page, rather than taking you back to where you can see all the medals on the game's page.

Also, the very last medal is not displayed on most games on the game's page. Medal still exists and is earnable but is invisible on the page. You can hover over it, but no image is displayed for it, so it looks exactly the same as if nothing was there, especially if earned. Before the medal is earned, the lock icon still exists over it, but no medal image.

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-21 07:29:46

At 7/20/21 11:58 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Also, the very last medal is not displayed on most games on the game's page. Medal still exists and is earnable but is invisible on the page. You can hover over it, but no image is displayed for it, so it looks exactly the same as if nothing was there, especially if earned. Before the medal is earned, the lock icon still exists over it, but no medal image.

Can you link me to a game where you're seeing the missing final medal? Also what browser are you using, in case that might be relevant?

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-21 09:18:54

I can't see the reviews of my blammed submission, everything else the eulogy shows perfectly fine, but there are no reviews, doesnt seem to work on other eulogys either

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-21 09:44:26

At 7/21/21 07:29 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 7/20/21 11:58 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Also, the very last medal is not displayed on most games on the game's page. Medal still exists and is earnable but is invisible on the page. You can hover over it, but no image is displayed for it, so it looks exactly the same as if nothing was there, especially if earned. Before the medal is earned, the lock icon still exists over it, but no medal image.
Can you link me to a game where you're seeing the missing final medal? Also what browser are you using, in case that might be relevant?

That game for example. But it's a lot of games.

The 6th and final medal of that game "24 Levels" is invisible, but you can hover over it to see a description.

Note the medal works just fine, is earnable, displays on your profile fine and all of that, just not on the game's own page.

Google Chrome is the browser I'm testing in right now.

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-21 10:52:14

Love it!

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-21 13:54:26

So I'm not sure if this is related to the new update but I'm pretty sure it is... My game's medal icons appear normally in the game page, but on my profile they are cut-off and only show the upper left corner.

This is how they correctly look in the game page:

iu_363670_2611927.png

This is how they're appearing in my profile:

iu_363671_2611927.png

I uploaded them as .png files, 512x512 pixels.

Yay! I'm part of those who have been trying to port some desktop classics to the web, and this is a huge step towards bringing those games to Newgrounds! Thank you so much!

I have this nagging feeling that like with all changes, it will be for the worse. But at least I understand what the hell is going on

and it seems like every new update favors chrome over firefox. most of the new features kinda don't work on firefox

At 7/20/21 07:52 AM, tehdroopy wrote:
Thank you so much tom for finally making more advanced games on newgrounds possible. I can't wait to see what people make in godot, unity, or whatever else framework that requires SharedArrayBuffer.

At 7/20/21 12:35 AM, kruno5gaming wrote: What is SharedArrayBuffer, sir?
It's pretty complex and hard for me to explain, but it's essential if you want shared memory with webgl or multithreading with web programs.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/SharedArrayBuffer
might explain it better than I can.

The point of online / browser game is simplicity. If you want complex games, buy some on steam. I'm not interested in seeing what kind of shit people will upload, because most times it's crap, especially games that have medals in them.

Hey quick question, can an incremental scoreboard be subtracted from by sending a negative value? It'd be neat to be able to post scores like how much currency someone has, or how many of a sellable collectable they have

BBS Signature

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-24 02:46:42

Okay, so while you can still get new medals and they show as unlocked on the game page, they don't count to your stats, and they don't show when you browse all the medals that you got. I assume that this is intentional?

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-24 14:42:55

At 7/21/21 01:54 PM, BryceSummer wrote: So I'm not sure if this is related to the new update but I'm pretty sure it is... My game's medal icons appear normally in the game page, but on my profile they are cut-off and only show the upper left corner.

Due to the current update the medals in your game don't work normally, what's worse, your game has selective graphics moment - depending on the hour, your game either shows all of the graphics or only half of it. At first, I thought that it was your fault, until I've learned about this thread

At 7/24/21 02:42 PM, fuckoffasshole wrote:
At 7/21/21 01:54 PM, BryceSummer wrote: So I'm not sure if this is related to the new update but I'm pretty sure it is... My game's medal icons appear normally in the game page, but on my profile they are cut-off and only show the upper left corner.

Due to the current update the medals in your game don't work normally, what's worse, your game has selective graphics moment - depending on the hour, your game either shows all of the graphics or only half of it. At first, I thought that it was your fault, until I've learned about this thread

The "showing all graphics or only half of it" part is odd -- but I think I've worked out what could be causing it.

In the days prior to me releasing the build of the game that's live now I had a preview build up while I was working on things... I suspect that there was a bug that caused the preview build to be displayed incorrectly at times when the build that is live now was published (due to caching or something perhaps?).

At least that's the only way I can make sense of certain parts of the game disappearing (like the pyramid on level one for example) in the way you described to me via PM.

@TomFulp -- tagging you so you see this.

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-24 15:45:58

At 7/24/21 02:46 AM, fuckoffasshole wrote: Okay, so while you can still get new medals and they show as unlocked on the game page, they don't count to your stats, and they don't show when you browse all the medals that you got. I assume that this is intentional?

yeah, also they don't count to your Medal Points!

"don't talk to me i'm crazy" - CS 1.6 Barney, MapMaker

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-25 16:01:33

Well this is a bumpy road ahead, I didn't think that this will happen. But thanks for posting about this and please fix this asap, so I can earn more medals again.. On my end, I'm able to earn a medal, but it wouldn't give me points yet. Also thanks to you and PsychoGoldFish for removing the 0 point/unobtainable medals, I don't want to have to look and remember them again.

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

To add insult to injury, in the last 2 days there are like 20+ new games with medals. The problem persists, and what's worse, I have a feeling that you're not only not going to fix it, but will probably make it worse, and that the medals that I've earned recently, I'll have to earn again, just because. I wish there were some standards about who can add medals to the games, some kind of quality control. Because good games don't have medals, instead mostly amateur games have medals.

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-26 11:23:30

H..

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-29 00:08:46

At 7/19/21 06:19 PM, squidly wrote: These sorta under the hood changes are the kinds of things people don't think too much about but make a world of difference. Just the small easy of use aspects of the medals were really stuck in 2010 and it's great to see them be updated to modern standards, and the load as sprite should do wonders for page load times.

Incredible work, Josh!

I'm not even a game dev, but hard agree. Especially on Load As Sprite

Knowing how much tilesets reduce system load as a whole, this is a massive win

-Alex

BBS Signature

Response to Game API and SharedArrayBuffer updates! 2021-07-29 06:15:28

At 7/26/21 11:23 AM, Worthill wrote: H..

What were you going to say?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature