00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How do I build up a fanbase online for my own animated cartoons?

2,626 Views | 91 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hi. I want to produce my own animated cartoons and showcase and monetize them online on video-sharing sites and on social media and as many online platforms as I can.

How do I build up a fanbase and attract people to my works? I was told having a strong social media presence helps.

What else do I need to do?

I tried Google how to build up a fanbase for your own animated cartoons and I couldn't really find anything.

Please help. Thank you.

At 7/6/21 07:00 PM, MoritzJunker wrote: I would say just make cartoons and have fun with it. Then once you've made some stuff start telling people about it, message people bigger than you, join collabs, make friends online etc

I would like to go on YouTube, Dailymotion and Metacafe and other video-sharing sites and talk about my works in videos. What can I do to attract people to these videos?

At 7/6/21 10:36 PM, MoritzJunker wrote:
I would like to go on YouTube, Dailymotion and Metacafe and other video-sharing sites and talk about my works in videos. What can I do to attract people to these videos?
I would probably first link all these accounts together either by linking them on your newgrounds account or by creating a linktree.

Then I would probably join online groups of people who are interested in the same things as you. Maybe find some kind of Discord server with other people from Newgrounds. You can share your videos with those people. They will probably be more likely to watch your videos because they are also interested in cartoons or what ever you are making.

If you have friends who also create stuff ask them to promote your videos to their audience.

Other than that I don't know if there is much I can say.

What is a linktree?

I have an account on Newgrounds, on DeviantArt, on YouTube, Metacafe, Dailymotion and on Facebook, Myspace and Twitter.

At 7/6/21 10:52 PM, MoritzJunker wrote:
What is a linktree?

I have an account on Newgrounds, on DeviantArt, on YouTube, Metacafe, Dailymotion and on Facebook, Myspace and Twitter.
Linktree is a service that allows you to make a simple webpage that links to all the accounts you have. @wobwobrob has a linktree that is a good example.

wobwobrob's linktree

I have never used linktree before but I am pretty sure it is free and I see a lot of creatives here on Newgrounds use it.

However you don't even have to do that. You can also link your accounts to your Newgrounds page like I did.

Here you see that I linked my website and my twitter right by my account details.

I think linktree would be a better option if you want to make a base for all of your accounts for a long term career. If you are more interested in just making sure people can see your videos and then maybe expanding in the future I think that linking your stuff to your newgrounds account would be a better idea.

If you want help linking to your newgrounds account I can help you.

Here you can also sign up for linktree if you think that's what you would like: https://linktr.ee/?utm_source=linktree&utm_medium=profile&utm_content=wobwobrob

Yeah I love linktree. It's free for the basic (what I have) but if you want to make look better you can pay.

I like linktree because you can put whatever you're pushing at the top. For me it's my recently updated demo reel.

Linktree is perfect for Instagram where you can only include one link in your bio.

https://linktr.ee/wobwobrob

Game Audio Designer based in UK

BBS Signature

At 7/7/21 07:43 AM, wobwobrob wrote:
What is a linktree?

Linktree is a service that allows you to make a simple webpage that links to all the accounts you have. @wobwobrob has a linktree that is a good example.

wobwobrob's linktree

I have never used linktree before but I am pretty sure it is free and I see a lot of creatives here on Newgrounds use it.

However you don't even have to do that. You can also link your accounts to your Newgrounds page like I did.

Here you see that I linked my website and my twitter right by my account details.

I think linktree would be a better option if you want to make a base for all of your accounts for a long term career. If you are more interested in just making sure people can see your videos and then maybe expanding in the future I think that linking your stuff to your newgrounds account would be a better idea.

Here you can also sign up for linktree if you think that's what you would like: https://linktr.ee/?utm_source=linktree&utm_medium=profile&utm_content=wobwobrob
Yeah I love linktree. It's free for the basic (what I have) but if you want to make look better you can pay.

I like linktree because you can put whatever you're pushing at the top. For me it's my recently updated demo reel.

Linktree is perfect for Instagram where you can only include one link in your bio.

Hello. Do you have any advice about what I can do to build up a fanbase for my own animated cartoons?

I am wondering why other people aren't responding to this thread.

At 7/7/21 12:53 PM, ngman7 wrote:
At 7/7/21 07:43 AM, wobwobrob wrote:
What is a linktree?

wobwobrob's linktree

Hello. Do you have any advice about what I can do to build up a fanbase for my own animated cartoons?

I am wondering why other people aren't responding to this thread.

You can only be a fan of something if there is something for the fan to enjoy.

So post up some animations.

https://linktr.ee/wobwobrob

Game Audio Designer based in UK

BBS Signature

make. content.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

At 7/8/21 07:43 AM, Template88 wrote: make. content.

A lot of people use crowdfunding campaigns to raise money for projects. Should I post something first then start campaigns or can that wait till after I start campaigns?

I am working on getting some content developed and produced.

At 7/9/21 01:33 AM, ngman7 wrote:
A lot of people use crowdfunding campaigns to raise money for projects. Should I post something first then start campaigns or can that wait till after I start campaigns?

Heres what you have:

zero online presence

Heres the reason why:

you have no content

You're bending over backwards to plan for things that rely on a foundation you show no evidence of having or even frankly being aware of. Can you even draw?

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

At 7/9/21 02:00 AM, Template88 wrote:

Heres what you have:

zero online presence

Heres the reason why:

you have no content

You're bending over backwards to plan for things that rely on a foundation you show no evidence of having or even frankly being aware of. Can you even draw?

I have some art pieces posted on this site and on Deviantart. My account here and my account on Deviantart are over a decade old. I should have had MORE work published on these sites but didn't. I have art I created saved to online photo albums but not anything really worth anything sharing on DA or on here or an other artist/writer community sites or on social media.

I have accounts on YouTube, Dailymotion, Metacafe but no videos on them. I have Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter accounts but I rarely used them to interact with others.

Seriously.

Given my personal situation prior to November 2019 I couldn't really focus on having a lot of works published, or on focusing on getting any cartoons and comics developed and produced.

The least I could have done was had more art up.

At 7/9/21 02:04 AM, ngman7 wrote:

Heres what you have:

zero online presence

Heres the reason why:

you have no content

I have some art pieces posted on this site and on Deviantart. My account here and my account on Deviantart are over a decade old. I should have had MORE work published on these sites but didn't. I have art I created saved to online photo albums but not anything really worth anything sharing on DA or on here or an other artist/writer community sites or on social media.

I have accounts on YouTube, Dailymotion, Metacafe but no videos on them. I have Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter accounts but I rarely used them to interact with others.

Seriously.

Given my personal situation prior to November 2019 I couldn't really focus on having a lot of works published, or on focusing on getting any cartoons and comics developed and produced.

So assuming you can draw which seems to be something you struggle to accomplish already, animation is casually making thousands of drawings in the timeframe of weeks. Do you know animation fundamentals or anything about animation? I'm going to assume no. Takes years to learn baseline competency. Do you know how to write? Takes years to learn baseline competency. You're worrying about things like funding when you lack the foundation to make anything to begin with. Cart before the horse.

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

At 7/9/21 02:14 AM, Template88 wrote:

Heres what you have:

zero online presence

Heres the reason why:

you have no content

Seriously.

So assuming you can draw which seems to be something you struggle to accomplish already, animation is casually making thousands of drawings in the timeframe of weeks. Do you know animation fundamentals or anything about animation? I'm going to assume no. Takes years to learn baseline competency. Do you know how to write? Takes years to learn baseline competency. You're worrying about thinks like funding when you lack the foundation to make anything to begin with. Cart before the horse.

I have an animation degree. I know how to write and draw.

At 7/9/21 02:15 AM, ngman7 wrote:

Heres what you have:

zero online presence

Heres the reason why:

you have no content

Seriously.

So assuming you can draw which seems to be something you struggle to accomplish already, animation is casually making thousands of drawings in the timeframe of weeks. Do you know animation fundamentals or anything about animation? I'm going to assume no. Takes years to learn baseline competency. Do you know how to write? Takes years to learn baseline competency. You're worrying about thinks like funding when you lack the foundation to make anything to begin with. Cart before the horse.

A degree is a piece of paper. Where is the content. Show me you can animate. Show me you can draw. Show me you can write. Show me anything. Show _us_ competency in anything.

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

At 7/9/21 02:16 AM, Template88 wrote:

Heres what you have:

zero online presence

Heres the reason why:

you have no content

Seriously.

A degree is a piece of paper. Where is the content. Show me you can animate. Show me you can draw. Show me you can write. Show me anything. Show _us_ competency in anything.

I didn't get to finish my post.

I want to produce my own animation and comics. I want to voice act professionally for my own comics. I would like to learn how to produce my own comics professionally.

Right now I am supposed to be learning how to use Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator and QuarkExpress through a free online learning system and learning how to voice act professionally through an online voice acting program I signed up for.

I had been forced to wait to deal with these things.

Given my personal situation in the past prior to November 2019, I really couldn't focus on getting anything developed and produced.

I lived with relatives I was forced to help take care of.

I don't know if "struggle" is the word I would use. I forced somewhat to put things off.

At 7/9/21 02:18 AM, ngman7 wrote:

Heres what you have:

zero online presence

Heres the reason why:

you have no content

Seriously.

I want to produce my own animation and comics. I want to voice act professionally for my own comics. I would like to learn how to produce my own comics professionally.

Right now I am supposed to be learning how to use Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator and QuarkExpress through a free online learning system and learning how to voice act professionally through an online voice acting program I signed up for.

Given my personal situation in the past prior to November 2019, I really couldn't focus on getting anything developed and produced.

I don't know if "struggle" is the word I would use. I forced somewhat to put things off.

I am just seeing excuses as to why you havent been producing content, whether or not those excuses are valid is not going to matter. If you want an audience and funding you need to produce content. There isnt a way around this. You build a brand and a following for yourself based entirely on what you produce, and if you produce nothing you will forever have nothing.

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

At 7/9/21 02:20 AM, Template88 wrote:
At 7/9/21 02:18 AM, ngman7 wrote:

Heres what you have:

zero online presence

Heres the reason why:

you have no content

Seriously.

I am just seeing excuses as to why you havent been producing content, whether or not those excuses are valid is not going to matter. If you want an audience and funding you need to produce content. There isnt a way around this. You build a brand and a following for yourself based entirely on what you produce, and if you produce nothing you will forever have nothing.

Well my family is gone. I don't have anyone around me to constantly create distractions and/or a toxic environment. I am focusing on getting stuff produced and developed NOW.

Nice, do you have any test shots, loops or examples of any animation whatsoever? literally a gif of a mouth moving or a head turn, or hell even a bouncing ball?

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

At 7/9/21 02:23 AM, Template88 wrote: Nice, do you have any test shots, loops or examples of any animation whatsoever? literally a gif of a mouth moving or a head turn, or hell even a bouncing ball?

No animation work yet. No comics work either. I am still drawing and writing things.

I have been practicing vocal characterizations. I do have the potential to be a good voice actor - I would like to learn how to voice act professionally for my own cartoons.

At 7/9/21 02:27 AM, ngman7 wrote:
At 7/9/21 02:23 AM, Template88 wrote: Nice, do you have any test shots, loops or examples of any animation whatsoever? literally a gif of a mouth moving or a head turn, or hell even a bouncing ball?
No animation work yet. No comics work either. I am still drawing and writing things.

I have been practicing vocal characterizations. I do have the potential to be a good voice actor - I would like to learn how to voice act professionally for my own cartoons.

so you have a degree in animation but you've never done any animation work or storyboard work. I think im done with this conversation.

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

At 7/9/21 02:29 AM, Template88 wrote:

so you have a degree in animation but you've never done any animation work or storyboard work. I think im done with this conversation.

I didn't say that. I have experience producing 2D hand-drawn animation and storyboarding.

bump

No animation work yet. No comics work either.

Come back when you have those. You are putting the cart ahead of the horse.

iu_352505_5077139.jpg

"In matters of taste there can be no disputes."

BBS Signature

At 7/9/21 02:36 AM, ngman7 wrote:

I didn't say that. I have experience producing 2D hand-drawn animation and storyboarding.

iu_352506_2341174.png

iu_352507_2341174.gif

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

At 7/9/21 02:39 AM, Ozone wrote:

Wow. That pic is a BIT RACIST don't you think? Are you race baiting? I'm not an African. I am an AMERICAN.

At 7/9/21 02:39 AM, Ozone wrote:

I have a bunch of ideas I am trying to develop right now. I have art I am working on. Stuff I am writing.

I was planning on having a whole bunch of art published online early this year but I had am issue with the all-in-one color laser printer I ordered off of eBay. A local mailman dropped and damaged the doggone machine I ordered the day he delivered it on my front porch. I was reimbursed for it but right now I am working on getting another printer.

Let me ask you - do you know a lot about printers?

At 7/9/21 02:39 AM, Template88 wrote:

Excuse me @Template and @Ozone, whether I have any finished works to show off and publish and monetize online or not is NOT what this thread is about. I don't care if you think I'm getting ahead of myself or not.

After I finish producing animated cartoons and/or comics and I publish them online, and set them up to be monetized, what do I need to to do to build up a fanbase for them?

Please answer the question.

At 7/9/21 05:06 AM, ngman7 wrote:

Excuse me @Template and @Ozone, whether I have any finished works to show off and publish and monetize online or not is NOT what this thread is about.

After I finish producing animated cartoons and/or comics and I publish them online, and set them up to be monetized, what do I need to to do to build up a fanbase for them?

Make stuff and people will come look at your stuff. If it's good they will share it and people will want more. Simple as. I'm sure you might want another answer but looking at your past interactions you may not be satisfied with thisiu_352572_5077139.jpg

"In matters of taste there can be no disputes."

BBS Signature

At 7/9/21 05:14 AM, Ozone wrote:

Excuse me @Template and @Ozone, whether I have any finished works to show off and publish and monetize online or not is NOT what this thread is about.

Make stuff and people will come look at your stuff. If it's good they will share it and people will want more. Simple as. I'm sure you might want another answer but looking at your past interactions you may not be satisfied with this

Thank you for responding. As of the time of the posting of this I was just about to PM you.

Excuse me @Template and @Ozone, whether I have any finished works to show off and publish and monetize online or not is NOT what this thread is about. I don't care if you think I'm getting ahead of myself or not.

moot question to answer as you have no content to experience. its like asking about how we're going to populate mars and what kinds of trees we'll grow there and how Martian architecture will differ from Earth architecture. fantasy without the foundation laid. mars much like your portfolio and body of work is a dead wasteland. stop indulging your fantasies and work on something. do not reply to this post as you are wasting time you could be using to work.

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

At 7/9/21 05:30 AM, Template88 wrote:

moot question to answer as you have no content to experience. its like asking about how we're going to populate mars and what kinds of trees we'll grow there and how Martian architecture will differ from Earth architecture. fantasy without the foundation laid. mars much like your portfolio and body of work is a dead wasteland. stop indulging your fantasies and work on something. do not reply to this post as you are wasting time you could be using to work.

I have been creating a lot of character stills and preliminary sketches and developing story ideas.

What if I posted this art online with some finished scripts at least, or written story ideas? Would people be interested in my material?