00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

4DottorTette7 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣

20,047 Views | 584 Replies

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-12-30 16:39:29

Won't get anything else read but just want to say thanks to @jackho for all the work in this thread!

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-12-30 16:43:15

I tried to finish a 1000 page high fantasy novel by the end of this month, but it was not possible, so I instead read two more shorter books for 2021 and pushed the fantasy novel to 2022.

47) A Christmas Carol – To cap off the holidays, I finally read A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, after watching the many adaptations out there. Dickens does a good job setting the scene of Victorian London; in fact, much of the book has detailed descriptions of the holiday foods and homes.

I also wasn’t expecting the unnamed narrator being a bit snarky at times towards Scrooge. And despite being familiar with the story, it is joyous to see Scrooge becoming a happier man and being much more pleasant.

48) Brave New World – I never read this book in high school, so I might as well end the year with it. Overall, the book was strangely more about how this love utopia/dystopia worked and what created the setting, to the point that the characters are almost secondary in the narrative.

Two things stuck out as odd, partly because of when the novel is written: first, there is no mention at all of any other sexuality beyond heterosexuality, despite the fact the book makes it a point that natural pregnancy is all but forbidden. There are mentions and depictions of orgies and other sexual activities but nothing about homosexual relationships. Secondly, the whole reverence/idol worship of carmaker Henry Ford all because of his assembly line process seems almost comical. I’m not sure if that was the original intent, since Ford was still alive when the book was published.

iu_510487_8405675.webp

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-12-30 17:26:30

It's the vacation, so I actually read quite a handful of books this time.

How to Cheat in Adobe Flash CS4 - The art of design and animation by Chris Georgenes

Having begun to mentor a good friend of mine in the fine art of Macromedia Flash, I started doing some learning myself so I could answer his questions. Reading through this book made me realize that there are some things I really don't know about Flash CS4 despite having used it since 2013. I greatly recommend this book for newbies setting out to learn how to use the massive swiss army knife that is Flash CS4.

The Whisperer in Darkness by HP Lovecraft.

Doing a bit of lore digging to mod a game I liked playing, I decided to read on this one to fill out my knowledge on a certain extraterrestrial race whose very mention drives players into a seething, murderous rage. It's a bit of a departure from the classic HP Lovecraft fare, touching upon some science fiction rather than pure occult stuff as he's known for.

IN SHORT, FUG UUU MI-GOS XDDDD

Zone One by Colson Whitehead

Yo dawg, I herd u liek pandemics we put a pandemic in your pandemic so you can spookpost while you cozy down this winter. Zone One unfolds over a post-zombie apocalypse world in a span of three surreal days which our civvie hero and his three-man 'sweeper squad' (sounds like shonen anime to me lol) is occupied with the mundane mission of straggler removal, has to face the creeping presence of Post-Apocalyptic Stress Disorder and has to come to terms with the fact that nothing will ever be same ever again. And as things are wont to in such settings, things start to go terribly wrong. Absolutely spectacular, albeit a bit short. I'd love to see more books/games based on this setting.

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-12-30 19:02:15

At 12/30/21 04:39 PM, RainyG wrote: Won't get anything else read but just want to say thanks to @jackho for all the work in this thread!

I second this. Thank you @jackho for putting this together for us!

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Don't think I'm gonna complete any books before the end of the year. It's a shame I couldn't hit my mark, but I started pretty late compared to most people here.

I'm reading two books right now: Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert and Destiny of the Republic by Candice Millard. Both have been good so far, even if I'm reading them at a slow pace. I was planning to read The Big Short and Fault in Our Stars, but I lost interest in both before I could finish either of them. Maybe that'll change in the future. Who knows.

Can't wait for 2022!

(doc·tor pack)

"Nixon had powers including, but not limited to: telekinesis, super speed, superhuman strength, invisibility, and mind control."

Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-12-30 20:23:50

I don't foresee finishing the 2 books I'm in the middle of before Saturday so here is my 2021 booklist.

@Jackho, Thanks as always. This is a really cool project you head up every year.

January

1: Points of Impact by Marko Kloos

2: The Settlers of Catan by Rebecca Gable

3: A Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi

4: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling

February

5: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling

6: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling

7: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by JK Rowling

March

8: Orders of Battle by Marko Kloos

9: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling

10: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by JK Rowling

11: Dreamsnake by Vonda N. McIntyre

12: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows by JK Rowling

13: Twelve Years a Slave by Solomon Northrup

April

14: The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Benjamin Franklin

15: The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels

16: Starship's Mage by Glynn Stewart

17: Hand of Mars by Glynn Stewart

18: Voice of Mars by Glynn Stewart

19: Alien Arcana by Glynn Stewart

20: Judgement of Mars by Glynn Stewart

21: Unarcana Stars by Glynn Stewart

May

22: Sword of Mars by Glynn Stewart

23: Mountain of Mars by Glynn Stewart

24: The Service of Mars by Glynn Stewart

25: A Darker Magic by Glynn Stewart

June

26: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Christopher Paolini

27: All Systems Red by Martha Wells

28: Artificial Condition by Martha Wells

29: Rogue Protocol by Martha Wells

30: Exit Strategy by Martha Wells

31: Network Effect by Martha Wells

July

32: A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine

33: A Desolation Called Peace by Arkady Martine

August

34: Into the Stars by James Rosone

35: Into the Battle by James Rosone

36: Into the War by James Rosone

September

37: Into the Chaos by James Rosone

38: Masters of Doom by David Kushner

39: How to Become a Federal Criminal by Mike Chase

40: Basic Call to Consciousness by Akwesasne Notes

October

41: The Sandman: Act II by Dirk Maggs & Neil Gaiman

November

42: The Gunslinger by Stephen King

43: The Drawing of Three by Stephen King

December (3 books)

44: The Kangaroo Chronicles by Marc-Uwe Klig

45: The Waste Lands by Stephen King

46: Leviathan Falls by James SA Corey

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-12-31 00:31:57

I have unfortunately been too busy to finish another book … maybe someday that will change

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2022-01-01 09:17:06

How poor people think by Dipo Adesina

100 ways to motivate yourself by Steve chandler

I just wanted to slow down my reading a bit last month but I think I've learnt a lot than I did have last year,so it has been pretty enriching ...

As of this year it seems my interest have been centered towards history,finance,self help and a little bit of fiction on the side

LITFAM UPDATE: LAST YEAR EDITION

iu_512854_2680232.png

So that's it, we survived this whole year and now it's already old news, and all we have to show for it are a few more inches of grey matter. Whether you dunked or flunked it I hope knowledge was gained, limits were tested and a literary time was had by all. And now you're ready to do it all over again in the new thread, which should be up in a bit. Happy fr*ckin new year, y'all.

Bibliomaniac @Asandir had to land on an even 100 just to prove he could. @Yomuchan and @Tehpoptartkid breached the 100% club in the nick of time while International man of mystery @Prinzy2 fulfilled his own nefarious agenda. The rest of us had a damn good time failing. Also granted a +1 to @VariantSeven for the Skrimbo books, not least because they did get published in a physical collection.

Top Fam December

1. @Asandir (6)
  2. @JerseyWildcard (4)

Top Fam 2021

1. @Asandir - 100
  2. @Argile - 50
  3. @JerseyWildcard - 48
  4. @Malachy - 46
  5. @Boss & @RainyG - 31

@Absurd-Ditties @Argile @Asandir @bigfritolay @Boss @CoolCatDaddio @ChrisOrksen @Crink @Dean @DoctorPac @Egeus @Ganon-Dorf @GonzaloAtWork @Haggard @HeartHeaDude @JerseyWildcard @Joltopus @Malachy @mlgnoscope69420 @OlTroutBlossom @Phobotech @Positron832 @PumpkinHeaDude @PurpleShoes @RainyG @Sekhem @Sensationalism @SevenOnAStick @SevenTheEasterBunny @Simonides @SlutasaurusRex @Squeezeblossom @Tacopug @Teaseblossom @TehPoptartKid @tehslaphappy @TopazAzul @Urichov @VariantSeven @Yomuchan @YourGuyIsa @ZJ

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2022-01-01 12:34:35

RIP everyone who didn't get through a single book. Better luck this year :P

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2022-01-01 15:10:27

i am illiterate

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2022-01-01 21:19:39

At 1/1/22 03:04 PM, Jackho wrote: New thread is out. The @ list will be scrapped and begun anew so be sure to post over there.

> > > ♛ Crave Books 2022 ♛ < < <

And the customary year-in-review gif that hopefully works:

@Absurd-Ditties @Argile @Asandir @bigfritolay @Boss @CoolCatDaddio @ChrisOrksen @Crink @Dean @DoctorPac @Egeus @Ganon-Dorf @GonzaloAtWork @Haggard @HeartHeaDude @JerseyWildcard @Joltopus @Malachy @mlgnoscope69420 @OlTroutBlossom @Phobotech @Positron832 @PumpkinHeaDude @PurpleShoes @RainyG @Sekhem @Sensationalism @SevenOnAStick @SevenTheEasterBunny @Simonides @SlutasaurusRex @Squeezeblossom @Tacopug @Teaseblossom @TehPoptartKid @tehslaphappy @TopazAzul @Urichov @VariantSeven @Yomuchan @YourGuyIsa @ZJ

I couldn't read more than 5 books last year... Dang it!

Oh, well. I guess there is no point in crying about it.

2022, here we gooooooo!

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2022-01-01 23:24:35

We were ambitious and did a great job. Here's to meeting our ambitions in 2022.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2022-02-27 22:54:00

At 1/1/22 03:04 PM, Jackho wrote: New thread is out. The @ list will be scrapped and begun anew so be sure to post over there.

I read Breakfast of Champions

and DMT The Spirit Molecule