00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

4DottorTette7 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣

20,045 Views | 584 Replies

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-10-17 08:02:41

40) Walt Disney: An American Original – After reading Disney War and the studio’s history in the 90s and early 00s, I got interested in Walt himself who was basically an ever-present ghost in Disney War. The biography by Bob Thomas, published in 1976 during the Disney company’s low periods, seemed impartial enough that didn’t sugarcoat Disney ala Saving Mr. Banks or downright cynical ala Family Guy. The author was able to interview the Disney family, friends and colleagues, even Walt himself across 20 years.

All and all, Walt seemed like a decent enough man if flawed due to his perfectionism and wanting his collaborations to be under his name. He liked to spend a lot of money on his high quality productions, which almost bankrupted the company on several occasions. Walt was heavily involved in productions, acting out story pitches, but there is also his habit of ditching a medium and moving on to a shiny new medium: cartoon shorts, animated movies, live action movies, television, theme parks, urban planning. Nothing about him being a Nazi sympathizer or anti-Semite as long rumored, though he did become more conservative and anti-communist after some of his animators went on strike in 1940.  It seems like his mother dying after the release of Snow White created the infamous Disney cliché of the moms dying in the movies, and Walt was always troubled by the fact he lost the rights to his creation Oswald The Lucky Rabbit, which fueled his need for creative control. And he got very obsessive in the details on how Disneyland, and later “The Florida Project”, operated and looked, no matter the staggering high costs. The book overall is excellent, even detailing Disney projects that were successful at the time but are now forgotten like the Three Little Pigs and Davy Crockett

iu_448540_8405675.jpg

Just finished Doctor Sleep by Stephen King. It's his 2013 sequel to The Shining, which follows Abra Stone, another kid with who Shines brighter even than Danny Torrance, and a travelling band of gypsy psychic vampires, called The True Knot, who feast on 'Steam' from kids who Shine. It was a fantastic follow-up to his original novel, proving that not all sequels are bad. He makes several references to Joe Hill's NOS4A2 from the same year, which tickled me just right.

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-10-18 18:29:51

Reading is for fucking nerds, all of you in this thread will be shoved in a locker next time I see you outside

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-10-18 18:41:25

At 10/18/21 06:29 PM, Slint wrote: Reading is for fucking nerds, all of you in this thread will be shoved in a locker next time I see you outside

We don't go outside.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-10-18 18:42:12

At 10/18/21 06:41 PM, VariantSeven wrote:
At 10/18/21 06:29 PM, Slint wrote: Reading is for fucking nerds, all of you in this thread will be shoved in a locker next time I see you outside
We don't go outside.

Well fuck I thought you nerds at least went to the library where else do you get these "books"?

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-10-18 19:01:23

At 10/18/21 06:42 PM, Slint wrote:
We don't go outside.
Well fuck I thought you nerds at least went to the library where else do you get these "books"?

Amazon

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-10-18 19:06:10

At 10/18/21 07:01 PM, OlTroutBlossom wrote:
We don't go outside.
Amazon

So you DO go outside, how else would you get into the middle of the fucking jungle you lying book reading nerds??

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-10-18 19:17:28

At 10/18/21 07:06 PM, Slint wrote:
We don't go outside.
Amazon
So you DO go outside, how else would you get into the middle of the fucking jungle you lying book reading nerds??

I'm gonna write a book about Slint, and then self publish it and sell it on Amazon. Brb

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-10-18 20:14:07

At 10/18/21 07:06 PM, Slint wrote:
We don't go outside.
Amazon

I live in a tree in the rainforest and Jeff Bezos personally delivers books to me.

I finished reading Looking for Alaska by John Green a few days ago. I always feel the need to read some YA novels once in a while. The familiar writing style a lot of them use, as well as the rebellious nature a ton of them adopt as they dare to discuss serious topics, have always made them kind of charming to me. There's a feeling of nostalgia that permeates in that snarky tone that so many YA authors like to employ in their characters. I appreciate the role they have in introducing kids to the real world while simultaneously trying to hook them in with their plot.

When I read Looking for Alaska, I couldn't help but feel like it was the epitome of that "rebellious but deep" YA novel that most kids have read at some point in their lives. Emotional monologues of youth, loss, death, beauty, and even religious philosophies are intermixed with frequent vodka, smoking, and sexual innuendo. Looking for Alaska definitely aims to challenge its audience of 10-15 year olds.

Unlike most of the books I've read, I'm actually quite knowledgeable of this author's work. While I've never read John Green's other books, I'm certainly familiar with them. I couldn't walk into my middle school library without seeing a student burying their nose into a copy of The Fault in Our Stars or Paper Towns. I remember even seeing posters for their movie adaptations popping up online.

While I haven't read any other book from John Green, I binge-watched numerous MentalFloss videos, where Green would spout useless but interesting factoids about obscure U.S. Presidents or something of that caliber. As a result of that, Green's writing felt right at home with me. This isn't surprising, considering that Looking for Alaska is loosely based off of Green's own high school experiences. The main character, Miles (also known as Pudge) is a dorky but intelligent student who constantly quotes the last words of historical figures and longs for purpose and wonder in his life. He may as well just be named "John Green", as Pudge seems to largely overlap with the author's personality.

I think this book, along with the rest of John Green's work, has the potential to be pretty polarizing. As I said before, this book is the epitome of a pretentious and edgy Young Adult book. It did kickstart the career of one of the most popular modern YA authors after all. I know many people who absolutely despise this kind of writing, and I understand that. Some of the books and quotes Green will pull from can almost seem to serve as nothing more than to inflate the book's supposed genius. I think most of them fit into the book's narrative well, but I don't always need to see a quote from Millard Fillmore to digest a fairly typical plot with themes that many readers are more than acquainted with.

I enjoyed the characters in this book. They are so disgustingly witty and brazen to one another that I couldn't help but like them, even if I don't think they're written that realistically. Their interactions are by far my favorite part of the book, even if the relationships seem to form quite quickly.

Unfortunately, Alaska herself was my least favorite character in the book. While I didn't hate her, I felt that she was so annoyingly vague and selfish that it could feel as if she overstayed her welcome. I've heard that this is the point, as making her so redundantly self-destructive was to insinuate how complicated the relationship between her and the other central characters were. I can buy that, but it doesn't make me enjoy her character any more. It's especially difficult to let my criticism go since Pudge repeatedly gawks over her "curves" and spontaneous nature. I feel like Green's intention for the character would be more evident in the mini-series, which is told in third person instead of Pudge's point of view.

Because of my dislike of Alaska, I enjoyed the second part of the book much more. I'm only half-joking here. The second half of the book is where shit hits the fan plotwise. I enjoy this half more due to Green's change in tone. The first half is where much of the potentially irritating historical quotes and smugness is most prominent. Here though, Green depicts intense emotions and straining relationships. Green is very good at writing the emotional state of his characters in a realistic and poignant way. I was surprised to see some of Green's somber use of descriptions and allegory being used for a Young Adult book. I feel that can be legitimately impactful for much of the intended audience, and I thought Green's talents really shined in those moments. I wouldn't be surprised if Green leaned heavily into this attribute when he wrote The Fault in Our Stars.

I wouldn't mind renting some of Green's other books if I ever have the time. While I definitely see how people could be bothered by Green's writing, I personally don't mind it, and I think he pulled off the adult themes of this book rather well. It certainly isn't bad for his first published book. I recommend it, and the rest of John Green's stuff, if you like YA books. If not, then you probably wouldn't have been interested anyway.

Neglecting a book feels so awful. My sleep schedule's been wack as hell though, so I'm trying to fix that before I pick up a book to read in bed. Right now, I'm trying to think of a companion book to read alongside Impeached. I'll come up with something soon, I'm sure.

iu_450144_8550679.jpg

(doc·tor pack)

"Nixon had powers including, but not limited to: telekinesis, super speed, superhuman strength, invisibility, and mind control."

Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-10-19 19:31:21

Even a monkey can draw manga

iu_450583_2080200.jpg

It's not just a set of references, it's a crash course into the world of drawing, design, planning and even marketing. And the ideas within aren't just for manga - it can be utilized by anyone who seeks to make a name for themselves on the net as a seller of media goods. More amusingly, the book comes off as a parody manga in itself as it illustrates the story of two would-be mangaka bumble through chapter ideas, Q&As and other good-to-know tidbits.

A definite must read if this sort of thing is what you'd like to do.

==========

The Vampire Economy: Doing business under fascism.

iu_450582_2080200.jpg

One of the books in the recommended reading list in my crash-course in business studies. It's a really fascinating, up-close and personal look at the world of business under those nutcase nazis. It discusses the effects of hyper-regulation, uncontrolled inflation, price controls, corruption-driven trade interference, unbalanced and directionless national economic planning, and attacks on private property with cold, factual detail and the severe consequences they had for human rights and economic development.

It's also the perfect response to those chumps claiming 'The third reich did nothing wrong'.

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-10-19 21:39:49

At 10/19/21 07:31 PM, Yomuchan wrote: Even a monkey can draw manga

It's not just a set of references, it's a crash course into the world of drawing, design, planning and even marketing. And the ideas within aren't just for manga - it can be utilized by anyone who seeks to make a name for themselves on the net as a seller of media goods. More amusingly, the book comes off as a parody manga in itself as it illustrates the story of two would-be mangaka bumble through chapter ideas, Q&As and other good-to-know tidbits.

A definite must read if this sort of thing is what you'd like to do.

==========

If it's anything like the Manga Guide to Statistics then I'm sure it will be an amazing read. Darn, I got to stop reading through these posts as I haven't gotten through my reads yet. Hopefully I'll have something to report by the end of the week.

Done reading these books:

77. Liv & Leif. Die Wurzeln des Schicksals, Katja Hemkentokrax, 300 pages

78. DAVE, Raphaela Edelbauer, 432 pages

79. Das Grab im Wald (The Woods), Harlan Coben, 480 pages

80. Solange du lebst (The Plague of Doves), Louise Erdrich, 397 pages

81. Neujahr, Juli Zeh, 256 pages

Liv & Leif. Die Wurzeln des Schicksals:

Liv and Leif are normal teenagers that get caught up in the realm of nordic mythology. Both of em notice weird discrepancies between their memory and their daily life and soon find out that both are in a coma and their souls are stuck in Sesmigard, the realm of dreams. The only way to reconnect to their bodies is to go through the nine circles of Hel - but after Ragnarök has unfolded, that task is more dangerous than ever for mere mortals.

Great book. For one, I like that it plays after Ragnarök and is not a simple retelling of events leading up to it. Additionally, creatures like the Fenris wolf and the dragon Nidhogg are characterised really well with some cunning and sadistic undertones. Also liked that both main characters are not gifted with any powers, which sets up a constant athmosphere of real danger.

Sadly, the book is not available in english and despite there being room for a sequel, no follow up book has been written. Inspite of that one of my favorite fantasy books that have Nordic Mythology as a theme.

DAVE:

What does it take to awake consciousness in a machine? That's the pressing issue of the underground laboratory that the main character Syz works in. Him and hundreds of programmers work on SCRIPTS to perfect the super AI, called DAVE. There are basically two groups in the lab: one that desires to upload their mind into the completed DAVE to merge with the AI and the other group that wants DAVE to come up with ideas how to make the outside world inhabitable again.

Progress on DAVE is steady and Syz finds himself more involved than he imagined and along the ride discovers terrifying things about the world he lives in.

Great book. Deals with themes like artificial intelligence, the nature of consciousness. Among my favorite books that I read this year. Not available in english.

The Woods:

Paul Copeland is a prosecutor with a tragic past: 20 years ago his sister and three other teenagers were murdered in the woods under unclear circumstances. One of the other teenagers was a boy named Gil - but now, twenty years later, the corpse of a murdered man is found - and it seems likely that man is actually Gil who lived under a false name.

For Paul this means two things - confronting the past and his role in it and finding out what really happened and also a sliver of hope - if Gil lived, maybe his sister, whose dead body was never found, could also be alive.

Pretty good book. I liked the overall mystery of the case and how it resolved and the characters are well written.

The Plague of Doves:

Many years ago a cruesome crime struck Pluto, a city near North Dakota, the outcome being a whole family except for a newborn killed in their own home. The Ojibwe were blamed for this and three of them hanged without any investigation and ruling. From here, the story is told from the perspectives of three characters in sort of short stories that are connected loosely and draw a picture of the people that live in Pluto and how they are connected and what influnce unresolved crimes of the past can have on future generations.

Very good book. Very much enjoyed the writing that reminded me of Vonnegut. There are two other books that apparently are sort-of sequels which I will likely check out in the future.

Neujahr:

It's New Year's Eve, and the main character Hennig is on vacation in Lanzarote with his wife and two kids. He plans to do a cycling tour uphills to the village Fermés. Along the ride, Hennig thinks about his life and how he struggles to fulfill his role as father, husband and worker due to panic attacks that he cannot control and sees no cause for - the cause then gets revealed in the second half of the back in the form of a flashback that is triggered upon Hennig reaching Fermés and shows some thruths about the origin of his panic attacks that I found very unnerving and scary to read. 

Good book. Not available in english.

iu_452605_3621830.webp

Tuturu~ ♫

Without truth, there is no justice.

Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-10-23 01:26:09

I just finished Seven Days in Hell by David O'Keefe, a history of the Black Watch Sniper platoon that fought for Canada during World War Two. They were wiped out with a 96% casualty rate when they were told to march on a well fortified German position without artillery or armor support, all because one higher up couldn't call his plan off when the other pieces weren't in place on time.

It's incredible that O'Keefe managed to catch up with the few survivors 60 years after the fact for interviews, and even more remarkable that Hook Wilikinson put 4 rounds in the center of the target 60 years after he'd last held his Enfield rifle.

This book is worth a read if you want a glimpse at honor, brotherhood, loyalty, and military gamblers highs at the top level, it more than lives up to its title.

Up next I have a book on the Knights Templar, then I'm going to be reading some rather boring government bills and some hopefully more salient economic books and papers as I prepare for a research project I'll be working on next year.

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-10-27 23:27:00

Finished the audiobook of Based on a True Story by Norm Macdonald today.

Absolutely fabulous book by the greatest SNL Weekend Update host ever. So much of this "biography" is obviously complete horseshit, but it doesn't matter because Norm is such a terrific storyteller and agile writer. It goes through the broadstrokes of his career ranging from his early stand-up to his time on Saturday Night Live to the filming of his film Dirty Work but with plenty of embellishment and weird asides that turn into incredible off-the-wall stories like Norm going to prison or meeting God. It seems weird to write all of that down here, but I swear that it's all in the book. It's all pretty damn funny, too. There was one bit in here that was so unexpectedly funny that I almost wrecked my car in a fit of laughter while listening to it at one point.

My one and only criticism is that because so much of it is bullshit that it takes away some of the impact of the childhood story that Norm tells where an older man allegedly sexually assaulted him near his home in Canada. I'm going to assume that Norm wouldn't tastelessly make up a story about being raped as a kid, but it's hard to say with how the rest of the book goes. The whole thing makes me feel weird looking back on it now.

If you get this one, I highly recommend that you also go for the audiobook as well since Norm does the narration for that as well and I can't imagine trying to get through this story without it. I wish the man had gotten to do more writing in his life.

RIP Norm.

iu_456647_1658435.jpg

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-10-29 18:39:07

41) The Queens of Animation – Continuing my unexpected turn at being an amateur Disney historian, I followed up on the early history of Walt Disney Studios with the book The Queens of Animation, which details the history of the oft-forgotten women who worked for Disney in the beginning. Despite being small in number, the various women were influential in several parts of the classic Disney movies: the final title cards in Snow White. The Nutcracker sequence in Fantasia, the key concept art of Cinderella & Alice in Wonderland, etc. In addition to all of the gender discrimination women had to deal with, many of the women were fired on three major events: the animators’ strike of 1941, the end of WWII and the men returning to civilian life, and the introduction of Xerox Machines, which replaced the female only Ink & Paint Department. The book mostly covers from the 1930s to the 1970s with details about the women and their contributions in many of the animated movies of the eras, then the final 3 chapters covers the 80s to 2010s, in a rather hasty fashion where only a handful of the newer movies got proper attention.

The book doesn’t contradict anything from the previous Disney books I read. If anything, the book makes Walt look like a good boss, willing to hire more female animators despite pushback from the other male employees. In one instance, he helped move Gyo Fujikawa, a Japanese American female illustrator, to his New York offices to avoid WWII era internment in California. The book does go into detail on some unsavory facts of some productions, like how the production of Song of the South was troubled since Day 1 for the racist tone, and no number of fixes could have saved it.

Animator Mary Blair is heavily featured in the book, her career spanning from 1940 to 1971. While responsible for how Cinderella and Alice in Wonderland looked, she was involved in the design of the “It’s A Small World” ride in Disneyland. Unfortunately, her home life was marred by an abusive, alcoholic husband, and she couldn’t divorce him because of the social stigma and marriage laws at the time. Her life didn’t get any better when the godfather to her sons/biggest supporter Walt Disney died. But she did find inner peace prior to her death in 1978 and the company recently published her concept art for Alice in Wonderland for the movie's 70th anniversary.

Between this book, Disney War and the Walt biography, I noticed some common themes: the deaths of Walt Disney and lyricist Howard Ashman were emotionally devastating to the entire company, and literally everybody in the company, from the animators to the executives, are fiercely protective of the Disney Princesses.

iu_457947_8405675.webp

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-10-29 21:17:10

I finally finished reading through Impeached by David O. Stewart today. I think I may have been spoiled by David McCollough when I read John Adams. That book felt like a much faster read than this one did, even though John Adams is longer and goes over a greater span of time. I know that's not a great comparison, considering that John Adams is an account of one man's life story while this is primarily concerned with a singular event, but I couldn't help but yearn for McCollough's concise writing while I read this.

That's not to say this makes Impeached a bad book however. David O. Stewart is not attempting to accomplish what McCollough did with this book. Rather, he is thoroughly explaining the unique political and legal issues that arise from a constitutional event that was the first of its kind. The impeachment of Andrew Johnson is a forgotten but important episode in American history. All subsequent impeachments on future Presidents of the United States would be based off the findings and arguments made during this specific trial. It remains especially relevant today, as impeachment is further seen as a political weapon rather than an emergency brake provided by the Constitution.

I think Stewart succeeds in making this book quintessential to understanding Johnson's impeachment trial in the modern age. It is a valuable well of information for Reconstruction era political arguments, strategy, corruption, and journalism. Stewart did an exhaustive amount of research for this book. The sections for acknowledgments and notes take up about a fourth of the book alone.

Unfortunately, I think Stewart fails in making this book readable for most audiences, even those who enjoy reading about U.S. history. Again, maybe it's because of my experience with less detailed historical writers such as David McCollough, but Stewart heavily embellishes on so much information that it can be hard to follow and retain it all. Certain chapters of this book are arduous, particularly the few that focus on legal arguments and the Constitution's vague language on the subject of impeachment. I see no reason for some of the people and events mentioned in this book to be given whole paragraphs when they easily could've been relegated to the Notes section. Stewart should've cut down some of the redundant and/or unnecessary tidbits surrounding the trial to make his writing feel less like reading from a textbook.

I also thought the last chapter was unnecessarily personal. While it summarizes the trial and its impact just fine, I do not need to hear Stewart's argument on whether Johnson deserved to have been subject to these games of political football. In books like these, I believe it should be up to the reader to decide for themselves based on the information the author presented.

This is a tough book for me to recommend or even try reading again. While the sleuth in me appreciates the vast amount of information packed into Impeached, I think too much is included in the text to make it something I would recommend to others. It really depends on how interested you are in the concept of impeachment itself and how its been attempted in the past.

iu_458104_8550679.png

(doc·tor pack)

"Nixon had powers including, but not limited to: telekinesis, super speed, superhuman strength, invisibility, and mind control."

Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-10-31 13:01:23

Fell behind a bit and was hoping to have more reading done but here's what I have so far.

19) Learn to Code in 30 Days with MiniScript and Mini Micro by Joe Strout

Prior experience to coding came from Codecademy and the For Dummies series. This would be the first learning material where everything was understood on the first try. The book is divided into 30-lessons on the MiniScript language that take place over 30-days.

Each week completed is a milestone and a leap toward the next phase of learning. The beauty of this book is that you're provided with a code editor to test out the code; unlike other books which require an immediate download in order to follow along with the lessons. After Day 15, you're introduced to Mini Micro which is the MiniScript programming environment.

Mini Micro is available on the designated site where you can play around and get use to using it until you're able to download the program to your computer (where you can actually save your work). Definitely worth a read and could possibly help with the next game jam.

20) The Prepper's Medical Handbook by William W. Forgey, MD

A nice starter book for learning the basics of emergency medical aid. By basics, I do mean the basics as the author covers the essentials needed to hold your own in an emergency situation till you're able to get to a medical facility. This book will pair well with companion reading materials especially in regards to medicinal herbs and venomous reptiles.

21) Lot's of Online Articles

Read a great deal of online articles, forums and social media posts. Been reading up on the Cowboy Bebop live-action production, employment issues, troubleshooting internet issues, trying to figure out of a site is down or not, researching pillows that can actually be tossed in a washing machine, learned about Elvira's new book, learned about different types of resins and resin molds, learned a new crochet technique and learned about new projects that can I create using my mega yarn gift stash.

This is it for the month. Hopefully November will have more promising entries.

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-10-31 20:41:06

I was so burned out by work that i needed to take some extended time to just let my brain go to mush. For most of October I only worked halfdays on weekends and took the rest of the days off. It was good but I also turned my brain off and didn't read anything more than the BBS or twitter lol.

So my October was pretty tame, just 1.

I'm back to the grind this week and through november so I imagine I'll make some more headway in The Dark Tower series that I started after The Sandman.

October

41: The Sandman: Act II by Dirk Maggs & Neil Gaiman

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-10-31 20:44:14

@jackho I didn't read annnyyyyything.

Nothing.

Inktober/Drawtober got me.

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-11-01 06:34:35

I read We are Bellingat by Elliott Higgins this month.

This is a non fiction book that details the formation and growth of the investigation company, Bellingcat - from one mans project to a globally recognised intelligence firm.

I enjoyed this - Higgins really goes into the details about what reporting they did, how they did it and the reaction it drove. The timeline is really clear and you get a good sense of his excitement around these projects. There is some light explanations on how to do their methods of "online investigation", but the main focus is on telling the story of the company's growth.

While I found this interesting, I would recommend taking everything detailed in this book with a pinch of salt. The author is the founder of Bellingcat, so everything presented is biased positively towards the company. As an organisation, some definitely view them as quite problematic, so I would recommend doing your own research as well to supplement what is presented here.

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-11-01 10:26:26

Yeah i didnt finish anything this month, i have been working every single day except for the crazy ass road trip i went on

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-11-01 12:27:04

I'm almost done I'll Be Gone in the Dark. Does almost finished count? No? Ok.

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-11-01 15:02:34

Started reading some Lovecraft again. 3 short stories (count them as 1, please):

The Festival: The unnamed narrator is invited by some very distant relatives to Kingsport (which is based on Marblehead, Massachusetts) to take part in an old festival called Yuletide, which we nowadays call Christmas (interesting side note: "Jul" is the Norwegian word for Christmas, so "Yuletide" might be derived from some old norse word, meaning "Christmas time", I suspect).

His hosts are mute and communicate with him through gestures. The narrator states that their faces are unmoving and look very much like masks. Also in the home of his hosts he finds a copy of the Necronomicon in which he begins to read.

After some time has passed his hosts and he make their way to an old church where they witness a strange ritual taking place. At the end of the ritual the narrator is asked to join an expidition on horses, but he refuses. Even though the old man shows him a watch and a ring that once belonged to the narrators great-great-great-great-grandfather. Items that have been buried along with his ancestor.

The old man throws his hood back to show the resemblance in their faces, but now the narrator sees that it's only a wax mask, and the horses grow restless. The old man tries to grab one of the horses, but this prompts his mask to fall off "from what should have been his head". To safe himself from madness the narrator throws himself into a river. He awakens in a hospital where he is told that he might have lost orientation in the wild and walked off a cliff. However, the narrator manages to find another copy of the Necronomicon and reads the same pages he had read before in the old man's home. Proving that it wasn't just a fever dream he had.

The Unnamable: Semi-biographical story. The character Carter often appears in Lovecraft's autobiographical stories. The story is also somewhat self-aware of the criticism Lovecraft constantly faced: That he never speaks out loud what it is that drives his characters mad all the time (and it's something I criticise as well). Carter is also a writer and faces the same criticism. He sits with his friend in an old house and they discuss "The Unnamable". Carter's friend is of the opinion that everything has a name and can be named. Carter, of course, is of a different opinion. Both sit and talk long into the night and Carter begins to tell a story about an entity that lives around the house. Not surprisingly, they are attacked by this entity, and in the hospital the friend says "It was everywhere, it had a thousand shapes. It was The Unnamable!"

Under the Pyramids: (Published as "Imprisoned with the Pharaohs"). A story Lovecraft ghostwrote for Harry Houdini. It was based on a story Houdini allegedely experienced himself, but Lovecraft knew it was fabricated. However, since he received $100 for this story (about $1,500 in today's money!) he took the job. Houdini is trapped by some do-no-goods, bound, gagged and lowered into a pyramid. Here, Houdini tries to free himself and find a way back to the surface. However, he finds that he has stumbled even deeper into the catacombs. After hitting his head after a fall, he finds himself in a hospital. Determined to find his old "guide" (which no-one has ever heard about) he goes back into the pyramid and finds an army of half-man, half-animal mummies, led by the ancient Egyptian pharaohs Khephren and Nitokris, leaving offerings to a hippopotamus-sized, five-headed, tentacled beast that appears from a hole deep in the hall. As he escapes, he realizes that this creature is just the paw of a much larger deity in whose image the Sphinx was carved. Houdini dismisses the events as a hallucination or a dream consequent of the strains of his kidnapping ordeal, despite the resemblance he sees between Khephren and his guide, Drogman.

Houdini liked the story very much and he continued to offer writing jobs to Lovecraft.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-11-01 19:31:01

I red dis book

iu_461074_5739368.jpg

it was ok, nothing really pulled me. Was pretty easy to pick up and read tho

I cannot see without my asses

BBS Signature

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-11-01 21:21:43

F*ck Feelings by Michael Bennet and Sarah Bennett

Norse mythology by Neil gaiman

The Dhammapada

How to build self discipline by Martin meadows

Nietzsche and the national by Stephen r.c. hicks

LIFTAM UPDATE: GETTING COLD EDITION

iu_462414_2680232.png

Well we've officially survived scary month & those ghostly night-creaks have been replaced by Sister Winter scraping at the door. Hopefully your fingers are warm enough to keep turnin' those pages or else the existential dread of how fast this year has slipped by might start to set in. Goal attainment will keep us sane, maybe.

@TehPoptartKid had a particularly notable jump in progress last month. @TopazAzul and @Yomuchan are steadily closing in on that goal and @Haggard is so close he can practically feel its eldrich tentacles on the back of his neck. @Asandir continues to dunk on the rest of us. 

Top Fam

1. @Asandir (10)
  2. @Argile (5)
  3. @TehPoptartKid (4)

All mistakes are just frozen spots in the ol' internet pipes.

@Absurd-Ditties @Argile @Asandir @bigfritolay @Boss @CoolCatDaddio @Crink @Dean @DoctorPac @Egeus @Ganon-Dorf @GonzaloAtWork @Haggard @HeartHeaDude @JerseyWildcard @Joltopus @Malachy @mlgnoscope69420 @OlTroutBlossom @Phobotech @Positron832 @PumpkinHeaDude @PurpleShoes @RainyG @Sekhem @Sensationalism @SevenOnAStick @SevenTheEasterBunny @Simonides @SlutasaurusRex @Squeezeblossom @Tacopug @Teaseblossom @TehPoptartKid @tehslaphappy @TopazAzul @Urichov @VariantSeven @Yomuchan @YourGuyIsa @ZJ

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-11-03 20:48:37

At 11/3/21 03:33 PM, Jackho wrote: LIFTAM UPDATE: GETTING COLD EDITION

Well we've officially survived scary month & those ghostly night-creaks have been replaced by Sister Winter scraping at the door. Hopefully your fingers are warm enough to keep turnin' those pages or else the existential dread of how fast this year has slipped by might start to set in. Goal attainment will keep us sane, maybe.

@TehPoptartKid had a particularly notable jump in progress last month. @TopazAzul and @Yomuchan are steadily closing in on that goal and @Haggard is so close he can practically feel its eldrich tentacles on the back of his neck. @Asandir continues to dunk on the rest of us. 

Top Fam

All mistakes are just frozen spots in the ol' internet pipes.

@Absurd-Ditties @Argile @Asandir @bigfritolay @Boss @CoolCatDaddio @Crink @Dean @DoctorPac @Egeus @Ganon-Dorf @GonzaloAtWork @Haggard @HeartHeaDude @JerseyWildcard @Joltopus @Malachy @mlgnoscope69420 @OlTroutBlossom @Phobotech @Positron832 @PumpkinHeaDude @PurpleShoes @RainyG @Sekhem @Sensationalism @SevenOnAStick @SevenTheEasterBunny @Simonides @SlutasaurusRex @Squeezeblossom @Tacopug @Teaseblossom @TehPoptartKid @tehslaphappy @TopazAzul @Urichov @VariantSeven @Yomuchan @YourGuyIsa @ZJ

This feels like deja vu.

Response to ♣ Reading Challenge 2021 ♣ 2021-11-03 21:08:27

Another update. Won't finish my the end of the year, but progress. Thunderball was good. The Spy Who Loved Me a pleasant distraction. On Her Majesty's Secret Service is shaping up to be very good as well. Shame the George only played as Bond for the one movie, he definitely had potential to be a great Bond. Then again, screen writers always seem to wreck the movies.

At 9/10/21 05:26 PM, Prinzy2 wrote: I'm okay with marking my own personal record. Less pressure to finish by the end of the year. Should also update where I'm at.

For your Eyes Only was interesting, and compiled of 5 short stories including Quantum of Solace, which had zero in common with the movie.

At 7/4/21 10:12 PM, Prinzy2 wrote:
[X] Casino Royale
[X] Live and Let Die
[X] Moonraker
[X] Diamonds Are Forever
[X] From Russia With Love
[X] Dr. No
[X] Goldfinger
[X] For your Eyes Only
[X] Thunderball
[X] The Spy Who Loved Me
[ ] On Her Majesty's Secret Service