00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tallya just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about

1,681 Views | 48 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hi. I am just a bit curious about this. Besides the Mario Bros., what Mario franchise characters does Nintendo actually care about? It seems like every couple of years Nintendo celebrates some Mario-related anniversary. This year they celebrated Super Mario Bros.' 35th anniversary. Not long ago, they celebrated SMB's 30th, 25th, and 20th. They had the Year of Luigi, in 2013, celebrating Luigi's 30th anniversary since his debut in Mario Bros.

What other Mario franchise characters does Nintendo actually care about? This year marked Waluigi's 20th anniversary since his debut in Mario Tennis, but Nintendo did nothing special to celebrate and/or commemorate it.

Wario's 25th anniversary since his debut in Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins came and went, and so did Princess Daisy's 30th anniversary since her debut in Super Mario Land, but Nintendo did nothing special to celebrate and/or commemorate these either.

Please help. Thank you.

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2020-12-18 23:06:02

No one here is a Mario fan? Why aren't others responding to this thread?

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2020-12-19 12:04:37

At 12/17/20 11:20 PM, ngman7 wrote: Not long ago, they celebrated SMB's 30th, 25th, and 20th.

iu_210942_116154.jpg

BBS Signature

At 12/17/20 11:20 PM, ngman7 wrote: Hi. I am just a bit curious about this. Besides the Mario Bros., what Mario franchise characters does Nintendo actually care about? It seems like every couple of years Nintendo celebrates some Mario-related anniversary. This year they celebrated Super Mario Bros.' 35th anniversary. Not long ago, they celebrated SMB's 30th, 25th, and 20th. They had the Year of Luigi, in 2013, celebrating Luigi's 30th anniversary since his debut in Mario Bros.

What other Mario franchise characters does Nintendo actually care about? This year marked Waluigi's 20th anniversary since his debut in Mario Tennis, but Nintendo did nothing special to celebrate and/or commemorate it.

Wario's 25th anniversary since his debut in Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins came and went, and so did Princess Daisy's 30th anniversary since her debut in Super Mario Land, but Nintendo did nothing special to celebrate and/or commemorate these either.

Please help. Thank you.

Nintendo have released 16 Wario games, not including games Wario has been in like Super Mario Land 2, Mario Kart, Smash, so they've supported that character by releasing games.

There's one Princess Peach game which was pretty shit, so there's not much to promote there. However she has been in pretty much every single Mario game. Plus if you want a strong female lead in a Nintendo game there is a whole Metroid series.

Truth is you play a Mario or Luigi game, you'll probably want to play another one. So as a business, Nintendo are opening up their past to new players. Along that journey you'll discover other characters in the Nintendo roster.

If you play a game like Mario Kart or Smash Bros, you are also celebrating every single Mario character every time you load these up to play.

On top of that, they have loads of other franchises to promotes as well, Kirby, Splatoon, Metroid, Legend of Zelda. With all of the Mario games, and all of these other amazing additions to Nintendo's roster, who really gives a shit about Waluigi?

https://linktr.ee/wobwobrob

Game Audio Designer based in UK

BBS Signature

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2020-12-19 18:26:22

Outside of Paper Mario, which is a relatively niche branch, most Mario characters that aren't the bros are just set dressing.

At 12/19/20 06:04 PM, wobwobrob wrote:
At 12/17/20 11:20 PM, ngman7 wrote: Hi. I am just a bit curious about this. Besides the Mario Bros., what Mario franchise characters does Nintendo actually care about? It seems like every couple of years Nintendo celebrates some Mario-related anniversary. This year they celebrated Super Mario Bros.' 35th anniversary. Not long ago, they celebrated SMB's 30th, 25th, and 20th. They had the Year of Luigi, in 2013, celebrating Luigi's 30th anniversary since his debut in Mario Bros.

Please help. Thank you.
Nintendo have released 16 Wario games, not including games Wario has been in like Super Mario Land 2, Mario Kart, Smash, so they've supported that character by releasing games.

Yes, Wario has been in a number of games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wario_video_games

He's been in his own series of platformers, and there's also the WarioWare series, and other games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wario_video_games#Other_games

Despite this, are you saying Wario still isn't as popular or as well-known as the Mario Bros.?

There's one Princess Peach game which was pretty shit, so there's not much to promote there. However she has been in pretty much every single Mario game. Plus if you want a strong female lead in a Nintendo game there is a whole Metroid series.

Yes I know about Super Princess Peach. That was a weak game.

Truth is you play a Mario or Luigi game, you'll probably want to play another one. So as a business, Nintendo are opening up their past to new players. Along that journey you'll discover other characters in the Nintendo roster.

Mario and Luigi are Nintendo's official corporate mascots. That makes sense.

If you play a game like Mario Kart or Smash Bros, you are also celebrating every single Mario character every time you load these up to play.

Or any of the other Mario Sports games, or the Mario Party games.

On top of that, they have loads of other franchises to promotes as well, Kirby, Splatoon, Metroid, Legend of Zelda. With all of the Mario games, and all of these other amazing additions to Nintendo's roster, who really gives a shit about Waluigi?

There are people who care about Waluigi. The character has a fanbase.

Waluigi has been in over 40 games, so he's not exactly a minor Mario character. but not counting his appearance as a playable character in the first Super Mario Maker game, he has never been in any Mario franchise platformer- no Mario, Luigi or Wario ones. Some people want to see him appear as a playable character in an official Mario franchise platformer, aside from Super Mario Maker, or at least an antagonist or some kind of supporting character in some Mario franchise platformer.

It was strange Waluigi didn't appear in any Year of Luigi games. He could have been an antagonist or some kind of supporting character in at least ONE game.

People made a big stink about Waluigi NOT being playable in any Super Smash Bros. games.

A lot of people want to see Waluigi be playable in a platformer with Wario. Some folks want to see Waluigi make more appearances in WarioWare.

I've often wondered, how come Wario and Waluigi were never introduced at the same time? Waluigi never had a proper ad campaign to introduce him to the general public like Wario had.

What about Princess Daisy? Why did Nintendo wait almost 3 decades since her debut in Super Mario Land to make her playable in a platformer like Super Mario Run? Why hasn't she been playable, or at least been featured in more Mario franchise platformers, as a supporting character and/or as a damsel in distress? Why hasn't Daisy been given her own game yet?

I know Daisy has been reinvented as a tomboy but she can still be a damsel in distress in some game. She could have been in at least ONE Year Of Luigi game.

Videos like these wouldn't be made if people didn't care about Waluigi:

At 12/19/20 12:04 PM, DingleberryClock wrote:
At 12/17/20 11:20 PM, ngman7 wrote: Not long ago, they celebrated SMB's 30th, 25th, and 20th.

Yeah I know that doesn't sound like it makes sense to hold multiple anniversary celebrations for one video game in such a short period of time, but they did:

https://www.mariowiki.com/Happy!_Mario_20th_-_Super_Mario_Sound_Collection

https://www.play-asia.com/famicom-mini-series-vol01-super-mario-bros-20th-anniversary-edit/13/7055px

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros.#Emulation :

"In early 2003, Super Mario Bros. was ported to the Game Boy Advance as a part of the Famicom Minis collection in Japan and as a part of the NES Series in the US. This version of the game is entirely emulated, making it completely identical to the original game. According to the NPD Group (which tracks game sales in North America), this re-released version of Super Mario Bros. was the best-selling Game Boy Advance game from June 2004 to December 2004.[65] In 2005, Nintendo re-released this port of the game as a part of the game's 20th Anniversary; this special edition of the game went on to sell approximately 876,000 units.[65]

https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._25th_Anniversary

https://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_Bros._30th_Anniversary

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2020-12-20 11:42:19

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros.#Emulation :

"In early 2003, Super Mario Bros. was ported to the Game Boy Advance as a part of the Famicom Minis collection in Japan and as a part of the NES Series in the US. This version of the game is entirely emulated, making it completely identical to the original game. According to the NPD Group (which tracks game sales in North America), this re-released version of Super Mario Bros. was the best-selling Game Boy Advance game from June 2004 to December 2004.[65] In 2005, Nintendo re-released this port of the game as a part of the game's 20th Anniversary; this special edition of the game went on to sell approximately 876,000 units.[65] "

FIXED.

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2020-12-20 12:24:39

At 12/20/20 10:59 AM, ngman7 wrote:

But are you saying Wario still isn't as popular as the Mario Bros.?

I'm saying that the fact that Nintendo is releasing games for him shows their support of the character. What is an anniversary celebration going to do? When Nintendo feel the need to sell more Wario games, they will do the 'anniversary' promotion.

If the fanbase was big enough, Nintendo would release a game.

Waluigi has been in over 40 games, so he's not exactly a minor Mario character.

He hasn't appeared in one game as a lead, only as an extra character, unlike Wario who has 16 games where he is the lead

It was strange Waluigi didn't appear in any Year of Luigi games. He could have been an antagonist or some kind of supporting character in at least ONE game.

It's not strange, other than Luigi's mansion, the Luigi games that came out were basically Mario games with different skins. The protagonist in these games was Bowser still.

I've often wondered, how come Wario and Waluigi were never introduced at the same time? Waluigi never had a proper ad campaign to introduce him to the general public like Wario had.

Because Wario was created as an enemy to Mario in a game. Waluigi was only added to create another lanky Mario Tennis character.

What about Princess Daisy?
I know Daisy has been reinvented as a tomboy but she can still be a damsel in distress in some game.

Who cares about a damsel in distress? Peach kinda has the role down. Do we really need another weak dopey female character? Pauline from Donkey Kong as the mayor of a whole city in Mario Odyssey is much more interesting.

There was "a big stink" made about Waluigi not being playable in Super Smash, but there's 74 characters playable characters in Smash. Cry me a river.

And who knows, any of these characters could be added to a new IP like Toad and Toadstool Treasure Tracker.

BBS Signature

At 12/20/20 12:24 PM, wobwobrob wrote:
I'm saying that the fact that Nintendo is releasing games for him shows their support of the character. What is an anniversary celebration going to do? When Nintendo feel the need to sell more Wario games, they will do the 'anniversary' promotion.

If the fanbase was big enough, Nintendo would release a game.

Waluigi has been in over 40 games, so he's not exactly a minor Mario character.
He hasn't appeared in one game as a lead,

We know. His most major role in any game to date was one of the main antagonists in DDR: Mario Mix.

It's not strange, other than Luigi's mansion, the Luigi games that came out were basically Mario games with different skins. The protagonist in these games was Bowser still.

Because Wario was created as an enemy to Mario in a game. Waluigi was only added to create another lanky Mario Tennis character.

We know. Waluigi was created because Wario needed a partner in a tennis game. Waluigi is supposed to be a main Mario character, and that being said, I think he has one of the most messed-up origins of any main Mario character in the Mario franchise. Waluigi needs to break free from filler character status.

Luigi should have had his own evil doppelganger a long time ago, and I still say Wario and Waluigi should have been introduced at the same time. Waluigi was basically an afterthought.

What about Princess Daisy?
I know Daisy has been reinvented as a tomboy but she can still be a damsel in distress in some game.
Who cares about a damsel in distress? Peach kinda has the role down. Do we really need another weak dopey female character? Pauline from Donkey Kong as the mayor of a whole city in Mario Odyssey is much more interesting.

No, you have a point. Peach is a typical girly girl. Daisy started out as a girly girl damsel in distress but was reinvented as a tomboy. I know Daisy was tough enough to beat of Bowser in one of the Mario Party games, which is probably why Bowser doesn't kidnap Daisy.

Daisy should be in more platformers, either as a playable character or as a supporting character.

There was "a big stink" made about Waluigi not being playable in Super Smash, but there's 74 characters playable characters in Smash. Cry me a river.

I don't know too much about Smash. I'm not one of the people who got mad about Waluigi not being playable in the series. Nintendo explained why Waluigi hasn't been playable in the series yet. He needs to be in an official Mario franchise platformer before being made playable in Smash. Waluigi is an assist trophy; there's plenty of other popular characters who are assist trophies but people aren't making a big stink about them not being playable.

And who knows, any of these characters could be added to a new IP like Toad and Toadstool Treasure Tracker.

IYO, do you think Waluigi will ever be playable in Smash?

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2020-12-20 14:30:12

At 12/20/20 12:49 PM, ngman7 wrote:

IYO, do you think Waluigi will ever be playable in Smash?

Maybe in a future Smash on the next console

BBS Signature

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2020-12-20 14:46:45

There is a lot to unpack here.

What I get from these links is that Nintendo is not going to spend time, energy, and most importantly money, to celebrate the anniversaries of every character they have every few years.

Despite the strong fandom of Waluigi, which you are apparently part of, it is still a small loud fandom compared to the general audience that buys and plays Mario games.

As for Waluigi being added to Smash Ultimate, it is always possible, but I sill doubt it.

At 12/20/20 02:46 PM, JerseyWildcard wrote: There is a lot to unpack here.

What I get from these links is that Nintendo is not going to spend time, energy, and most importantly money, to celebrate the anniversaries of every character they have every few years.

Wario's 25th anniversary, Daisy's 30th anniversary and Waluigi's 20th anniversary are/were ONE-TIME things. I was not suggesting Nintendo celebrates anniversaries for other Mario characters every few years. They COULD have celebrated their anniversaries but didn't.

Apparently Nintendo doesn't think Wario, Waluigi and Daisy are important enough to warrant any anniversary celebrations.

The celebrated the anniversary for SMB every few years because they want to cash in on the popularity of the game and series.

They finally celebrated Luigi's 30th anniversary. Luigi is THAT big of a deal to Nintendo. He and Mario are Nintendo's official corporate mascots.

Despite the strong fandom of Waluigi, which you are apparently part of, it is still a small loud fandom compared to the general audience that buys and plays Mario games.

I didn't say I was a Waluigi fan.

As for Waluigi being added to Smash Ultimate, it is always possible, but I still doubt it.

I think Waluigi is one of these Mario characters Nintendo doesn't really know what to do with TBH.

At least the character gets some respect by Nintendo. In one of the Nintendo HQ's he has a conference room named after him:

iu_211993_2319004.png

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2020-12-21 14:37:19

At 12/21/20 01:49 PM, ngman7 wrote: At least the character gets some respect by Nintendo. In one of the Nintendo HQ's he has a conference room named after him

I mean, it is just a conference room. It is nothing special like being the main character of a video game.

You do seem to favor Waluigi. You did comment that

Waluigi needs to break free from filler character status.

At 12/21/20 02:37 PM, JerseyWildcard wrote:
At 12/21/20 01:49 PM, ngman7 wrote: At least the character gets some respect by Nintendo. In one of the Nintendo HQ's he has a conference room named after him
I mean, it is just a conference room. It is nothing special like being the main character of a video game.

You do seem to favor Waluigi. You did comment that

It seems like Nintendo doesn't want people to forget about Waluigi's Mario Tennis roots, hence why he wields his trademark tennis racket from Mario Tennis in some of the non-tennis-related games he's been in, like Super Mario Maker and the Smash games.

The ONLY Mario platformer Waluigi was seen and playable in was Super Mario Maker.

Nintendo should make Daisy playable in MORE Mario franchise platformers. Super Mario Run is the ONLY one she has been in so far, which came out ALMOST 3 DECADES AFTER her debut in Super Mario Land.

Pauline never even appeared in any Mario franchise platformers until Super Mario Odyssey came out. She was never playable in ANYTHING until Mario Tennis Aces came out.

Why did it take Nintendo so long to make Daisy playable in a Mario franchise platformer and make Pauline appear in one? Why did it take them so long to make Pauline playable in ANYTHING?

Why did it take them so long to give Peach and Toad their own games?

They celebrated the anniversary for SMB every few years because they want to cash in on the popularity of the game and series.

They finally celebrated Luigi's 30th anniversary when they had "Year of Luigi". Until then Luigi never had any anniversary celebrations before. Luigi is THAT big of a deal to Nintendo. He and Mario are Nintendo's official corporate mascots.

-FIXED.

I know Daisy was tough enough to beat up Bowser in one of the Mario Party games, which is probably why Bowser doesn't kidnap Daisy.

-FIXED.

At 12/20/20 12:24 PM, wobwobrob wrote:

Of course, they want to make money. A bunch of "Year of Luigi" games were released when they had the "Year of Luigi" celebration. This year they had special games released for the Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary celebration.

Whenever major companies want to celebrate and/or commemorate anniversaries or birthdays for characters, movies, etc. they release special products.

If you knew, or generally assumed, why Nintendo favors their corporate mascots over their lesser known and least popular characters, then why ask this question?

It just seems unnecessary to create a thread when a Google search or general awareness of Nintendo promotions revealed the answer.

Also, Waluigi is NOT playable in Super Mario Maker or its sequel. The only playable characters are Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Toadette, with a special appearance by Link as a Master Sword power-up in the sequel.

At 12/21/20 03:28 PM, JerseyWildcard wrote: If you knew, or generally assumed, why Nintendo favors their corporate mascots over their lesser known and least popular characters, then why ask this question?

I am guessing. I don't know.

It just seems unnecessary to create a thread when a Google search or general awareness of Nintendo promotions revealed the answer.

Also, Waluigi is NOT playable in Super Mario Maker or its sequel.

Technically you ARE playing as Waluigi when Mario accesses the Mystery Mushroom in SMM. Mario becomes other characters when he accesses characters' costumes.

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2020-12-21 16:22:47

At 12/21/20 03:45 PM, ngman7 wrote: Technically you ARE playing as Waluigi when Mario accesses the Mystery Mushroom in SMM. Mario becomes other characters when he accesses characters' costumes.

It is just still a skin. Not a full fledged playable character. There are also Sonic, Mega Man, and Mewtwo skins; that doesn't mean they are truly playable characters in Super Mario Maker.

At 12/21/20 04:22 PM, JerseyWildcard wrote:
At 12/21/20 03:45 PM, ngman7 wrote: Technically you ARE playing as Waluigi when Mario accesses the Mystery Mushroom in SMM. Mario becomes other characters when he accesses characters' costumes.
It is just still a skin. Not a full fledged playable character. There are also Sonic, Mega Man, and Mewtwo skins; that doesn't mean they are truly playable characters in Super Mario Maker.

https://www.mariowiki.com/Costume_Mario :

"Costume Mario[1] is the form Mario takes after touching a Mystery Mushroom, exclusive to the Wii U version of Super Mario Maker, allowing him to transform into numerous Nintendo and third-party characters, objects and groups or combinations thereof. "

Nintendo should make Daisy playable in MORE Mario franchise platformers. Super Mario Run is the ONLY one she has been in so far, which came out ALMOST 3 DECADES AFTER her debut in Super Mario Land.

Pauline never even appeared in any Mario franchise platformers until Super Mario Odyssey came out. She was never playable in ANYTHING until Mario Tennis Aces came out.

Why did it take Nintendo so long to make Daisy playable in a Mario franchise platformer and make Pauline appear in one? Why did it take them so long to make Pauline playable in ANYTHING?

Why did it take them so long to give Peach and Toad their own games?

Why is no one talking about this?

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2020-12-21 16:45:58

At 12/21/20 04:31 PM, ngman7 wrote:

"Costume Mario[1] is the form Mario takes after touching a Mystery Mushroom, exclusive to the Wii U version of Super Mario Maker, allowing him to transform into numerous Nintendo and third-party characters, objects and groups or combinations thereof. "

I know what the Mystery Mushroom does. I did play the game, which is why I knew about Mewtwo and Mega Man being in the game. No need to provide a link explaining that.

At 12/21/20 04:45 PM, JerseyWildcard wrote:
At 12/21/20 04:31 PM, ngman7 wrote:

I know what the Mystery Mushroom does. I did play the game, which is why I knew about Mewtwo and Mega Man being in the game. No need to provide a link explaining that.

Okay. I am just saying Mario BECOMES these characters.

Again, why does it take Nintendo so long to do something interesting with a lot o their Mario franchise characters?

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2020-12-21 18:41:09

Because most of the characters are not very popular with the general audience, so Nintendo is not going to spend time and effort on projects with less popular characters in lead roles.

Besides, the recent Mario games have been doing well, with critics and audiences, so Nintendo sees no need to move beyond the core Mario characters.

At 12/21/20 06:41 PM, JerseyWildcard wrote: Because most of the characters are not very popular with the general audience, so Nintendo is not going to spend time and effort on projects with less popular characters in lead roles.

Besides, the recent Mario games have been doing well, with critics and audiences, so Nintendo sees no need to move beyond the core Mario characters.

The characters I am referring to don't have to be in lead roles in games. Rosalina is popular, she was made playable in a Mario franchise platformer before Daisy was, which to me was weird.

Daisy COULD have been playable in MORE Mario franchise platformers by now. She's a popular character. A lot of people like her more than Peach.

Pauline had never been playable in ANYTHING before Mario Tennis Aces came out. Nintendo created the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series. Pauline was a major character in that series, they COULD have made her playable in those games.

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2020-12-21 19:16:51

At 12/21/20 06:53 PM, ngman7 wrote: The characters I am referring to don't have to be in lead roles in games. Rosalina is popular, she was made playable in a Mario franchise platformer before Daisy was, which to me was weird.

Daisy COULD have been playable in MORE Mario franchise platformers by now. She's a popular character. A lot of people like her more than Peach.

Pauline had never been playable in ANYTHING before Mario Tennis Aces came out. Nintendo created the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series. Pauline was a major character in that series, they COULD have made her playable in those games.

Pauline is a major character in Super Mario Odyssey. Part of the marketing for the game featured her singing a jazz song.

I have never heard of the claim that Daisy is more popular than Peach. Then again, I am not well versed in Mario Fandom than you are.

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2020-12-21 19:19:46

At 12/21/20 07:16 PM, JerseyWildcard wrote:
At 12/21/20 06:53 PM, ngman7 wrote: The characters I am referring to don't have to be in lead roles in games. Rosalina is popular, she was made playable in a Mario franchise platformer before Daisy was, which to me was weird.

Pauline is a major character in Super Mario Odyssey. Part of the marketing for the game featured her singing a jazz song.

Yes but she wasn't playable in Odyssey. She was a major supporting character.

I have never heard of the claim that Daisy is more popular than Peach. Then again, I am not well versed in Mario Fandom than you are.

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2020-12-21 20:56:19

How does Nintendo feel about the inclusion of fan-made Mario characters in their games? Bowsette was a fan-made creation which became VERY popular for some odd reason. Coincidentally Nintendo was working on a similar character that was going to be included in a game. The Shy Gals are another fan-made creation but they wouldn't be included for obvious reasons.

At 12/21/20 08:56 PM, ngman7 wrote: How does Nintendo feel about the inclusion of fan-made Mario characters in their games? Bowsette was a fan-made creation which became VERY popular for some odd reason. Coincidentally Nintendo was working on a similar character that was going to be included in a game. The Shy Gals are another fan-made creation but they wouldn't be included for obvious reasons.

Without using Google, I wouldn't know how Nintendo exactly feels about fan creations. They do seem protective of their characters and their IP; they are pretty well known for sending cease-&-desist letters to fan projects and events. However, they are not the only company that do this.

Until you mentioned the character, I had completely forgotten about Bowsette. To me, that had very short lived popularity. As for the "some odd reason", I'm guessing sex appeal played a major role in the character's popularity.

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2020-12-24 16:36:16

At 12/24/20 02:26 PM, JerseyWildcard wrote:
At 12/21/20 08:56 PM, ngman7 wrote: How does Nintendo feel about the inclusion of fan-made Mario characters in their games? Bowsette was a fan-made creation which became VERY popular for some odd reason. Coincidentally Nintendo was working on a similar character that was going to be included in a game. The Shy Gals are another fan-made creation but they wouldn't be included for obvious reasons.
Without using Google, I wouldn't know how Nintendo exactly feels about fan creations. They do seem protective of their characters and their IP; they are pretty well known for sending cease-&-desist letters to fan projects and events. However, they are not the only company that do this.

Until you mentioned the character, I had completely forgotten about Bowsette. To me, that had very short lived popularity. As for the "some odd reason", I'm guessing sex appeal played a major role in the character's popularity.

I remember reading somewhere online Miyamoto refused to comment on Bowsette if I am not mistaken. Nintendo doesn't gets involved with online fan material.

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2021-01-03 15:27:34

Anybody remember Super Princess Peach on the DS? I don't really think Nintendo was trying to make a franchise out of it, more just a weird dumb one time occurrence.

At 1/3/21 03:27 PM, PolterGhast07 wrote: Anybody remember Super Princess Peach on the DS? I don't really think Nintendo was trying to make a franchise out of it, more just a weird dumb one time occurrence.

Weird. I was just thinking about Nintendo making a Princess DAISY game or another game in which Daisy gets captured shortly before I posted this. I think Nintendo SHOULD make a Daisy game. I think a lot of people would like that. I think they should also make another game in which she's captured, however that may be hard to do, if they don't bring Tatanga from Super Mario Land back. They probably wouldn't make Bowser the villain in said game; I know Daisy beats up Bowser in one of the Mario Party games. Daisy hasn't been a damsel in distress in any Mario franchise game since her debut in Super Mario Land over 3 decades ago. Daisy started as a girly girl princess like Peach when Daisy was introduced in Super Mario Land. Nintendo made the executive decision to reinvent her as a tomboy princess when she started appearing in Mario side games.

I remember X-Play did a review for Super Princess Peach, before the network disbanded:

I heard about SPP but never played it. There are lots of Mario franchise games I have seen and/or heard and/or read about but never played.

Now that I think about it, Nintendo should have made a two-player version of Super Mario Land, which means of course Luigi would be the second player.

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2021-01-04 09:02:12

At 1/3/21 07:18 PM, ngman7 wrote: Now that I think about it, Nintendo should have made a two-player version of Super Mario Land, which means of course Luigi would be the second player.

Nintendo have already added multiplayer to its most recent Mario games.