00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme
Upgrade Your Account!

Hi! I'm here waving at you this weekend because we're hoping to recruit more supporters and continue our journey away from ads.

If you have $3 per month or $25 per year to spare, please consider becoming a Supporter today!

Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about

1,109 Views | 50 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2021-01-07 12:32:53

When I saw the subject, I thought I was about to have a nice sturdy flow of memorable replies by just typing "Mario". But then read "Besides the Mario brothers" and that just about ruined it.

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2021-01-23 18:48:04

Nintendo created the Mario franchise characters to appeal to all ages. Super Mario Strikers and Mario Strikers Charged, as far as I know, were the first Mario franchise games to get a T-rating. In these games they sensualized Princess Daisy and Princess Peach, which is a little weird IMO but not surprising. The Super Smash Bros. series has a T-rating.

Nintendo as far as I know has a family-friendly image they want to maintain. Would Nintendo hurt their image if they started making Mario franchise games that were M-rated? Or is this a silly question?

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2021-01-23 22:14:31

At 1/23/21 06:48 PM, ngman7 wrote: Nintendo as far as I know has a family-friendly image they want to maintain. Would Nintendo hurt their image if they started making Mario franchise games that were M-rated?

They did that last month, when Sephiroth struck his sword at Mario.

iu_229813_8405675.jpg

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2021-01-25 15:58:08

My man, the only character Nintendo really cares about is Toad. He and his clones are in every Mario game. Not to mention his own game and at this point you could call the Paper Mario series, 'Paper Toad' because he's taken over that franchise.

BBS Signature

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2021-01-25 21:16:27

At 1/25/21 03:58 PM, BloxmineXL wrote: My man, the only character Nintendo really cares about is Toad. He and his clones are in every Mario game. Not to mention his own game and at this point you could call the Paper Mario series, 'Paper Toad' because he's taken over that franchise.

Toad has never been playable in any Smash games. People have made a fuss over Waluigi not being playable.

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2021-01-26 03:17:30

At 1/25/21 09:16 PM, ngman7 wrote:
At 1/25/21 03:58 PM, BloxmineXL wrote: My man, the only character Nintendo really cares about is Toad. He and his clones are in every Mario game. Not to mention his own game and at this point you could call the Paper Mario series, 'Paper Toad' because he's taken over that franchise.
Toad has never been playable in any Smash games. People have made a fuss over Waluigi not being playable.

At least Toad is a weapon for Peach.

BBS Signature

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2021-01-26 11:26:14

At 1/26/21 03:17 AM, BloxmineXL wrote:
At 1/25/21 09:16 PM, ngman7 wrote:
At least Toad is a weapon for Peach.

I don't see how that's any different than being an assist trophy. He's still not playable. There's other types of non-playable characters in the Smash games that aren't playable.

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2021-01-27 17:32:40

Bowser is sorta popular I guess. He was even playable in Bowser's Inside Story and had a protagonist role in that game. He's about as old as Mario, so I wonder if they'll ever give him an anniversary thing. Probably not, since he usually is there to serve as the villain, not sure Nintendo would make a game about him as the main protagonist or do much outside of briefly mentioning him in a social media post as a kind of celebration.

Since I mentioned Bowser's Inside Story, just wanna say it breaks my heart that Fawful has never been seen outside the Mario and Luigi series (unless I'm missing something like him being an assist or whatever in Smash). He's always been my favourite character in the franchise

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2021-01-31 18:04:36

Master chief

boop

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2021-01-31 18:31:00

At 1/31/21 06:04 PM, Tangeroni wrote: Master chief

Lol- WRONG franchise.

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2021-01-31 18:35:52

At 1/31/21 06:31 PM, ngman7 wrote:
Lol- WRONG franchise.

Oh right sorry my bad. I said the wrong one lmao. The correct one is Marcus from Gears of War

boop

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2021-01-31 19:19:56

At 1/31/21 06:35 PM, Tangeroni wrote:
Lol- WRONG franchise.
Oh right sorry my bad. I said the wrong one lmao. The correct one is Marcus from Gears of War

These are NOT Mario franchise characters, let alone NINTENDO characters. Do these characters appear in any Super Smash Bros. games?

If so that doesn't mean NINTENDO owns them.

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2021-01-31 19:22:50

At 1/31/21 07:19 PM, ngman7 wrote:
At 1/31/21 06:35 PM, Tangeroni wrote:
Lol- WRONG franchise.
These are NOT Mario franchise characters, let alone NINTENDO characters. Do these characters appear in any Super Smash Bros. games?

If so that doesn't mean NINTENDO owns them.

King Edward I 

boop

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2021-02-10 14:33:43

On top of that, they have loads of other franchises to promotes as well, Kirby, Splatoon, Metroid, Legend of Zelda. With all of the Mario games, and all of these other amazing additions to Nintendo's roster, who really gives a shit about Waluigi?

People only like Waluigi for memes not as an actual character

El Super Mario acaba de comer un hongo ancho.

BBS Signature

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2021-02-10 15:38:55

At 2/10/21 02:33 PM, FullOnwave wrote:
People only like Waluigi for memes not as an actual character

Are people still carrying on about Waluigi not being playable in Smash?

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2021-02-10 15:44:02

Are people still carrying on about Waluigi not being playable in Smash?

Pretty much

BBS Signature

At 2/10/21 03:44 PM, FullOnwave wrote:
Pretty much

I think that's a bit silly when there are a bunch of OTHER popular video game characters who are in the games that aren't playable. How come one no one carries on about that?

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2021-02-10 16:06:08

I think that's a bit silly when there are a bunch of OTHER popular video game characters who are in the games that aren't playable. How come one no one carries on about that?

It ranges from silly to utterly pathetic. Remember when fans harassed Sakurai because he didn't make Waluigi playable in Smash Ultimate? People were really getting that mad because a meme character isn't added. THAT right there is pathetic and sad

BBS Signature

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2021-02-10 16:06:20

It ranges from silly to utterly pathetic. Remember when fans harassed Sakurai because he didn't make Waluigi playable in Smash Ultimate? People were really getting that mad because a meme character isn't added. THAT right there is pathetic and sad

BBS Signature

At 2/10/21 04:06 PM, FullOnwave wrote: It ranges from silly to utterly pathetic. Remember when fans harassed Sakurai because he didn't make Waluigi playable in Smash Ultimate? People were really getting that mad because a meme character isn't added. THAT right there is pathetic and sad

I remember reading about that and watching videos about that.

Waluigi needs to break free from filler character status. He was never properly introduced in any ad campaigns, like Wario was, and he has never been playable in any official Mario platformer, aside from Super Mario Maker.

Waluigi needs to be in an official Mario franchise platformer first before being made playable in any Smash games.

But you still didn't answer the question. How come people don't carry on about OTHER POPULAR VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS who are in the Smash games but aren't playable?

Response to Mario characters Nintendo actually cares about 2021-02-12 08:38:12

At 2/10/21 04:40 PM, ngman7 wrote:
At 2/10/21 04:06 PM, FullOnwave wrote: It ranges from silly to utterly pathetic. Remember when fans harassed Sakurai because he didn't make Waluigi playable in Smash Ultimate? People were really getting that mad because a meme character isn't added. THAT right there is pathetic and sad
I remember reading about that and watching videos about that.

Waluigi needs to break free from filler character status. He was never properly introduced in any ad campaigns, like Wario was, and he has never been playable in any official Mario platformer, aside from Super Mario Maker.

Waluigi needs to be in an official Mario franchise platformer first before being made playable in any Smash games.

But you still didn't answer the question. How come people don't carry on about OTHER POPULAR VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS who are in the Smash games but aren't playable?

People do but no case has been as bad as Waluigi (atleast to my knowledge anyways)

BBS Signature