00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hellzwulf just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Lashmush's Very Own Music Thread

1,133 Views | 21 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Lashmush's Very Own Music Thread 2020-10-27 15:40:57

TL;DR - Dis gon be a long thred. U can scroll if u want, is ok.

It was the year 1987 and a young man was born in lol jk, but there will be a bit of backstory here since I've uploaded to NG since 2007, deleted a bunch of content in a hypomanic fit (representing the diversity of NG with some mental illness), reuploaded some of it again... Uhh, I've had a fun ride here so far I suppose and some of it is even relevant to my music.

So just to sum up how I make music, I started in 1998 at age 11. I had an Amiga 600 with ProTracker on it so I basically just made embarrassingly terrible nonsense on it. My first song literally was just a bunch of soundless notes mashed into a channel because I didn't know how to load an instrument due to a severe case of dumb. I used to load up a finished song and save it as a new one so I had instruments to work with, then try to make something remotely coherent. It usually devolved into Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or Deep Purple's "Smoke On The Water" because those two I had at least figured out how to reproduce melodically.

I moved on to FastTracker 2 on my family PC, made quite a few songs with it though still quite limited in terms of how original I was. My goal was making metal but try doing that if you don't play instruments yourself and are dependent on soundfonts rarely made by other metaltrackers out there. Eventually I found metal .xm files that I could harvest usable instruments from but they were often limited to perhaps a very short span of notes (less than an octave sometimes) and few playstyles (open powerchord, palm mute power, and not much more).

I actually had to upgrade to ModPlugTracker when I moved from Win98SE to WinXP. No native DOS, no FastTracker 2. Here's where a ton of work happens. Most of it is not available online anymore but I will see about getting it re-upped for posterity so anyone interested can listen to what early stuff sounded like. Ultimately in 2007, I started using Renoise a bit for making VST stuff and in 2008 i fully transitioned.

I'll begin by just sampling (huhu) some of the early stuff that NG users really enjoyed and gave me positive feedback on which greatly boosted my confidence creatively. Btw, I made my account in 2005 because (no joke) I thought an account was subscription based or something when I was young back in like 2000 during the assassin days, etc. You called it Newgrounds Gold, Tom! Gold is expensive! Twelve year olds are not fiscally competent individuals! :c

So let's start with...

These tracks are all songs from "Antidestiny", an album I made over 2006 and 2007 (I'm like 20 at this point). At that point I had already made a LOT of music though. Albums like Dawn, Reanimation, Chapter Nine, Tears of the Blind and thats just the stuff I released to the public. I think the Antidestiny songs were spread out over the 300-400 count of my ModPlug projects I had started at the time, though that count includes all the unfinished stuff that definitely outweighs the finished amount of projects. Note that I was very lacking in any sort of mixing skills beyond just adjusting the volume of any given channel or cloning it for DOUBLE VOLUME!) but I managed to do OK enough that NG approved at least. I was genuinely nervous about getting negative feedback when I uploaded my first tracks. Moving on...

So here's where life got flipped turned upside down. 2008. I wrote this specific track (and its now replaced Part II counter-part) in the peak of a manic psychosis. There's a ton of backstory as to why my brain had gone full tilt which spans back to 2003 with a bunch of family tragedy happening like a carpet-bombing over those teen years, 15 and onward, of my life. The song to this day still mystifies me as it was a gigantic quantum leap of performance compared to what I've ever done before it. I dunno how many people create a piece of art and then observe their creation go "wait, how the fuck...?" but that's definitely my experience with this. You can hear the full thing here on NG, on my youtube page, or over on bandcamp. (It's free, just pay 0 whatever-coins and pick lossless like a champ.)

Again, my mixing and mastering sucks. It's a different flavor of suck, but suck nonetheless. The Youtube and Bandcamp versions are the "Ultimate Edition" that... uuuh, kinda needs a new edition, tbh. This is where I learned that I need proper speakers and headphones if I'm gonna do this. Some entertainment 2.0 speakers from Creative get chucked right out and in goes a pair of M-Audio BX8 D2 studio monitors. And after that...

Well, I still sucked at mixing and mastering. Turns out you need to actually figure out the why and how of it, not just slap a wallet on the table. I did however start to explore more genres like the EDM Hardcore/Gabber scene, Psytrance (which I have a very long romance with since it's got tons of roots in the music tracking scene.) :c

Anyway, Given some more time and some pretty laser accurate feedback from OCR judges when I uploaded my first project there, I was eventually able to sharpen my mixing and mastering enough that there was again a big lift in quality.

So aside from Mihai Sorohan's splendid trumped talents in that hiphop beat I made, if you've listened to my posted tracks here up until this point you'll notice that "Across The Sea Of Sand" is a remake of "Ocean". Also, "Ocean" is actually a remake of "Swashbuckler" from my EP "Reanimation" so we are establishing a pattern of dire laziness. This is something of a thing with me creatively though. I've gone back to old favorite tracks whenever I had significantly new technical skill, higher quality resources, or simply just got the idea to "reimagine" the song in a new light. Which leads us to the most insane level of repetition in my career, of which I am STILL retreading old ground: Ultima Eternus, as featured a few paragraphs up!

The full chain of this starts with a song I wrote at age 14 called "Evighetens Palats" (swedish for The Palace of Eternity). This was the first song I had ever made that got positive feedback from my friends so being the little shit I am I figured "Oh ok, I'll just do this song again with slightly better instruments and get even more positive feedback!" but actually, it turns out people kinda stopped caring about me and my music because of how often I would tackle any given friend within eyesight into a corner and "ask" if they wanted to hear my latest song.

The chain is as follows: Evighetens Palats (2001), The Palace of Eternity (2003), Frihetens Kall (2004), Eternity's End (2007), Eternity's End (2007, Unreleased draft version), and THEN Ultima Eternus Part 1 and 2 in that manic episode. As you can no doubt surmise, I was very... very single most of my young life. I've since made a sequel album to Ultima Eternus called Mater Infinitum as well as having a new one planned that I'm current training myself for with video game remix projects. I am still single.

Moving on from the 2011 tracks above and into 2012 in...

THE NEXT POST!

Ok, lets keep it rolling...

Ok, neat, lets blast through these ones. At this point, my mixing has improved substantially. I've started understanding the less-is-more approach and patience of adjusting various effects in Renoise. Compression, equalization, limiters, filters, all play a substantial role in making sure a song turns out good, especially when so many instruments are present. I still have much to learn. I'll always have much to learn. I still don't really understand how the drains in my apartment work and there's a drip in my bathroom faucet that I don't know how to sort out. :c

And 2013 brings us...

At this point there's a substantial slowdown happening creatively. It's heavily due to my mental health having deteriorated immensely. I had a Bipolar Type 1 diagnosis from 2009 on top of two neuropsych ones I got around then too, ADD and Atypical Autism. The former being comorbid with Bipolar Disorder and the latter being... well, it's the kind of autism where the doctors apparently go "haha, ya ur deffo an autismo supremo but we cant really figure out which of them so have this vague one for now." and then they never call you back. The music sounds good though but it's a much heavier process for me to push myself to create something and I barely feel any joy or sense of accomplishment after any given track as my depression has run rampant for years with no medication or therapy. I was a typical young dude getting a mental illness: "What?! Pills and therapy?? What am I, some kind of pussy? I'm going to cure myself by sitting alone in my dark apartment, just you wait and see!"

I did not cure myself by sitting alone in my dark apartment. If you get a diagnosis or just have a really hard time, take it from me: Don't dodge pills or therapy, you'll save about a decade of your life.

Alright, 2014, slowdown peaks here...

Yeah, here's about the time I had started to really lose interest in music which is honestly a major red flag for me. The work is good and I put all the right effort in but it really felt like just work and not much play at all. This was also when I basically decided "Fuck this, I'm out" and started planning my own death. Ya, kind of a curveball in my story here, I know. I descended into drugs and partying, kind of a last hurrah sort of thing and by some bizarre fortune managed to get sense knocked into me by psychedelics. Stupidly large doses. It was reckless and dumb. Any experienced psychonaut would flip their shit if they heard a newbie did what I did so don't fuck about with this shit. I literally only did because I didn't care if I ended up brain-damaged or dead by the substances I fucked with and I kid you not, in some ways my mind is not the same to this day after those trips.

So I pack my shit and relocate to my moms place for a bit and sort my life out. And by doing this I became an entirely new level of single, to boot.

Uhh... Moving on to 2016...

Not much to show here unfortunately. I was still deeply depressed and in the process of recovering. Lots of therapy, lots of medication which coincidentally made me double in weight (60 kg to about 117 kg) which as you can imagine... meant that I was somehow reaching an unprecedented level of single. But hey, I know all about the fat life now, huffing and puffing up stairs, chafing thighs, severe pain in my lower back after about 5-10 minutes of walking in any given direction... Chonk life represent.

Mater Infinitum Part III is finished in probably my worst mental state. I rushed it a lot and cut corners a ton because I just had no desire to do anything. Mostly those days I just looked forward to going to bed in the evening so I didn't have to be aware and thinking. I'm still not very satisfied with it. It has great stuff there for sure but I also consider it kind of a "swing and miss" of what I intended it to be. Also, you can literally hear the bipolar disorder in Ultima Eternus and Mater Infinitum, waves of highs and lows taking the spotlight from eachother. Lots of fluctuation in the moods of those albums.

Anyway After 2016... Nothing. 2017, 2018 and 2019 are all void of any new content, aside from one reupload of an old song I made. But this is for good reasons. In 2017, after having lived my entire adult life just being mentally ill, I got out and about, started interning as a low level IT pleb at the city digitalization department (which is just fancy talk for tech support and sysops). This skyrocketed my confidence in myself as before then I never felt like I really had much of a place in society or could stand on my own two feet financially. So, some more IT work and fast forward to 2020...

Guess who's back? No, not Marshall Mathers, it's me. I'm back. :c

So having made pretty much a full recovery and managing my mental disorder pretty well, I'm now preparing for the new original project to follow Ultima Eternus and Mater Infinitum. I've thought back and forth about remaking both UE and MI with new VST plugs and mix/mastering but its a colossal effort to do and honestly I kind of want them to stay as is, flaws and all. I think it's fun for listeners to hear how I've grown artistically and also, keep in mind, the whole remake thing was out of laziness. I'm now a student on my way to become a teacher. Just five years. Five... god damn... years. To tell teenagers how to do the english.

You can also hear in my music at this point that mixing and mastering have bumped substantially as well as my creativity being back in full force. I've managed to approach mixing and mastering more strategically so I dont find myself bogged down by too much rework of previous channels.

So that's the story of my musical presence on Newgrounds with some sprinkles of personal backstory. This is and will always be my creative home, I consider it an astounding platform and springboard for talented people young and old to spread their creative wings and it's a privilege to call my self a NEWGROUNDS GOLD MEMBER, TOM! GOLD! IM A FUCKING GOLD MEMBER, FUCKING... I COULD HAVE HAD AN ACCOUNT FROM 2000!

I'll keep bumping this with any new tracks I make. Currently my remix projects include the Gwyn boss battle from Dark Souls and select other ideas.

Response to Lashmush's Very Own Music Thread 2020-11-01 08:13:24

Ayyy, great to see that you've posted your own music thread!

I remember listening to Mater Infinitum when you were uploading it in parts on NG several years back.

Follow'd on this account and I'll be keeping an eye on future content you're uploading ;)

| Multi-Genre Composer, Main Preferences Are Atmosphere Crafting & Technical Detailing/Palettes | Audio Portal Moderator |

| FREE Audio Resources List For Composers | NG Audio Pub Discord | Follow These Legends! |

BBS Signature

Response to Lashmush's Very Own Music Thread 2020-11-01 09:19:42

At 11/1/20 08:13 AM, LD-W wrote: Ayyy, great to see that you've posted your own music thread!
I remember listening to Mater Infinitum when you were uploading it in parts on NG several years back.
Follow'd on this account and I'll be keeping an eye on future content you're uploading ;)

Yeah, I saw that NG had started allowing them so I figured I'd at least give a quick history lesson of my stuff here. It's a bit masturbatory to go 15000 letters of "meeeeeee" but it sums up my activity here ok. I'll try to have more uploads coming in the future since uni has proven relatively straightforward so far (famous last words).

Response to Lashmush's Very Own Music Thread 2021-01-18 18:27:39

O lawdy, it's a new song, an ORIGINAL one at that. My entry for the Negrounds VGM Challenge. Enjoy. Or don't, I spose. Enjoyment is optional.

Response to Lashmush's Very Own Music Thread 2021-04-10 18:49:56

Oh look, it's another original song.

At 4/10/21 06:49 PM, Lashmush wrote: https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1020616

Oh my God, slap my ass and call me crab salad -- I used to listen to your stuff back in what... '06? It was rock temple or something. Used to be my alarm in the morning to get up for school. What a blast from the past. I have a CD somewhere with half of your old discography on it. Inspired me to start making music of my own. I'll have to check this out. How have you been?

Edit: I looked for that song and I realized I may be conflating a couple memories, but I still do remember having a metric crap ton of your music on my computer. The old metal pieces, lots of sad organ stuff. I feel old xD

I definitely had Night Terrors

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Lashmush's Very Own Music Thread 2021-04-10 20:06:54

At 4/10/21 07:08 PM, ADR3-N wrote:
At 4/10/21 06:49 PM, Lashmush wrote: https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1020616

Oh my God, slap my ass and call me crab salad -- I used to listen to your stuff back in what... '06? It was rock temple or something. Used to be my alarm in the morning to get up for school. What a blast from the past. I have a CD somewhere with half of your old discography on it. Inspired me to start making music of my own. I'll have to check this out. How have you been?

Edit: I looked for that song and I realized I may be conflating a couple memories, but I still do remember having a metric crap ton of your music on my computer. The old metal pieces, lots of sad organ stuff. I feel old xD

I definitely had Night Terrors

Night Terrors is from Antidestiny, so ye, thats my early stuff I uploaded in 2007 on NG. You can find that entire double-cd album for free on my bandcamp page. Also, you can get Ultima Eternus and Mater Infinitum there too. c:

Response to Lashmush's Very Own Music Thread 2021-04-10 20:24:37

At 4/10/21 08:06 PM, Lashmush wrote: Night Terrors is from Antidestiny, so ye, thats my early stuff I uploaded in 2007 on NG. You can find that entire double-cd album for free on my bandcamp page. Also, you can get Ultima Eternus and Mater Infinitum there too. c:

Freaking lit, man. Your bandcamp page looks sweet. I'll have to go on a deep dive and take pointers

While I'm here, you got any recent metal songs in the style of Antidestiny, what are your go-to VSTs for the genre? I've been working off of Shreddage II, RealEight, Ample Metal Ray, and Waves Bass Slapper, with the usual GetGoodDrums or TMF Metal Factory. GrindMachine and Cerberus amps. Got any surprise favorites?

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Lashmush's Very Own Music Thread 2021-04-10 20:36:03

At 4/10/21 08:24 PM, ADR3-N wrote:
At 4/10/21 08:06 PM, Lashmush wrote: Night Terrors is from Antidestiny, so ye, thats my early stuff I uploaded in 2007 on NG. You can find that entire double-cd album for free on my bandcamp page. Also, you can get Ultima Eternus and Mater Infinitum there too. c:
Freaking lit, man. Your bandcamp page looks sweet. I'll have to go on a deep dive and take pointers

While I'm here, you got any recent metal songs in the style of Antidestiny, what are your go-to VSTs for the genre? I've been working off of Shreddage II, RealEight, Ample Metal Ray, and Waves Bass Slapper, with the usual GetGoodDrums or TMF Metal Factory. GrindMachine and Cerberus amps. Got any surprise favorites?

I did an OC Remix of 7 tracks from the original Doom 1 and 2 games recently. Devil's Lament. Very much symphonic metal as per usual.

I'm currently using Shreddage 3 (basically all of them), Superior Drummer 3 with a few expansions like The Metal Foundry, etc, lots of Kontakt plugins for symphonics (EWQLSO Platinum Pro XP in Kontakt format is heavenly compared to the Play engine) and yeah thats usually about it. Oh yeah, I also have Garritan CFX Concert Grand for my piano needs. It's easily the best piano VST i've ever used but its also a gigantic library at around 120 gigs just for piano samples. c:

Response to Lashmush's Very Own Music Thread 2021-04-10 20:40:28

At 4/10/21 07:08 PM, ADR3-N wrote: I definitely had Night Terrors

You probably wanna listen to Mater Infinitum Part I. It features a finisher revisit of Night Terrors.

Response to Lashmush's Very Own Music Thread 2021-04-11 03:56:24

At 4/10/21 08:36 PM, Lashmush wrote: I'm currently using Shreddage 3 (basically all of them), Superior Drummer 3 with a few expansions like The Metal Foundry, etc, lots of Kontakt plugins for symphonics (EWQLSO Platinum Pro XP in Kontakt format is heavenly compared to the Play engine) and yeah thats usually about it. Oh yeah, I also have Garritan CFX Concert Grand for my piano needs. It's easily the best piano VST i've ever used but its also a gigantic library at around 120 gigs just for piano samples. c:

Ooh, interesting. Looks like Shreddage 3 is a semi-affordable 145 or so on Kontakt right now with some brass libraries offered as a promo code. I'll have to drop a bit of next paycheck on that.

Superior Drummer -- would you say it's worth investing if I already have TMF and GetGoodDrums? I also have somewhere Saudade Snare, which I think is based on David Silveira from Korn's snare sound. I haven't thought about scripting it into a Kontakt patch since it lacks anything other than single bounce hits.

I may have to pass on 120 gigs of concert grand -- I rarely use pianos, though I have drunken piano, Headroom piano, and a few other nice little libraries for those needs. If creatively written enough and modulated, they serve my needs. But to think someone bothered for 120 gigs of sampling, and someone out there gets use out of it, the computer age simply amazes me.

What about your choral libraries? That's one area I constantly find I'm lacking. I'm pretty impressed by what I've heard on your recommendations

BBS Signature

At 4/11/21 03:56 AM, ADR3-N wrote:
At 4/10/21 08:36 PM, Lashmush wrote: I'm currently using Shreddage 3 (basically all of them), Superior Drummer 3 with a few expansions like The Metal Foundry, etc, lots of Kontakt plugins for symphonics (EWQLSO Platinum Pro XP in Kontakt format is heavenly compared to the Play engine) and yeah thats usually about it. Oh yeah, I also have Garritan CFX Concert Grand for my piano needs. It's easily the best piano VST i've ever used but its also a gigantic library at around 120 gigs just for piano samples. c:
Ooh, interesting. Looks like Shreddage 3 is a semi-affordable 145 or so on Kontakt right now with some brass libraries offered as a promo code. I'll have to drop a bit of next paycheck on that.

Superior Drummer -- would you say it's worth investing if I already have TMF and GetGoodDrums? I also have somewhere Saudade Snare, which I think is based on David Silveira from Korn's snare sound. I haven't thought about scripting it into a Kontakt patch since it lacks anything other than single bounce hits.

I may have to pass on 120 gigs of concert grand -- I rarely use pianos, though I have drunken piano, Headroom piano, and a few other nice little libraries for those needs. If creatively written enough and modulated, they serve my needs. But to think someone bothered for 120 gigs of sampling, and someone out there gets use out of it, the computer age simply amazes me.

What about your choral libraries? That's one area I constantly find I'm lacking. I'm pretty impressed by what I've heard on your recommendations

Choir kontakt plugs are many and all really useful for variation and filling niches. Storm, Wotan, Dominus, etc... Basically, just google VST choir kontakt plugin and it's probably something I either have or am considering getting.

Superior Drummer 3 is phenomenally good since you can not only configure an entire drumkit based on ANY of the components from ALL your data including expansionpacks for both current and past gen versions, but it also has the great stacking feature to use multiple snares, kicks, whatever to create a specific sound.

Response to Lashmush's Very Own Music Thread 2021-04-19 21:40:32

I got a bit obsessed about this one. c:

Response to Lashmush's Very Own Music Thread 2021-05-02 18:35:20

Some proper stoner metal.

Response to Lashmush's Very Own Music Thread 2021-09-27 10:43:15

New melodic psytrance track

Aaand this one is sure to lift some butts of the seat

Response to Lashmush's Very Own Music Thread 2023-06-20 11:14:59

Here's a new psytrance/goa track for you. 155 bpm, 48khz 24 bit lossless version available in description for free.

Here's a full-on psy remix of Twin Millennium, my Lotus III: The Ultimate Challenge Main Theme remake. 160bpm, hits pretty hard.

Response to Lashmush's Very Own Music Thread 2023-06-24 23:10:41

Oh, hey, whaddaya know, another song.

Response to Lashmush's Very Own Music Thread 2023-06-30 16:47:26

Oh hey, another two songs.

Response to Lashmush's Very Own Music Thread 2023-07-10 17:42:44

Oh hey... Here's the entire nearly 70 minute Mater Infinitum album as one seamless upload, fully remastered in 2023, literally today for the last part. With 48khz 24bit flac stream / download.

Also, while I'm at it, heres my entire live set psytrance continuous album. Also nearly 70 minutes. 30 minutes is brand new and produced in a span of three months leading up the the live event on the 1st of July. With 48khz 24bit flac stream / download.

Have a neato burrito day, everyone.

Response to Lashmush's Very Own Music Thread 2023-08-02 07:03:30

Oh boy, Ultima Eternus 2023 Remaster, now with proper frequency balancing and actual, defined and clear(er) instrument ensembles!