00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

horndogg60 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I have no idea what I am doing

207 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Not going to lie. I have the basic grasp on art, but one thing I really struggle is seeing the whole picture. Seriously how do people do it. Especially painting it doesn't sit right with me when I do it. I like seeing it built from the ground up but some people can put the pieces before I can even see them fall into place. I don't know much about doing much research I just google whatever I need at the time. As well as not having a concrete style it bounces to whatever left an impression on me. I'll leave this here, but I feel bad because it's not as good as I want it to be. I think I see a few problems it's just that some I have no idea how to fix, or I felt I'm too far gone and I'm not willing to fix that portion and rather work on another project. Oh and I am god awful at backgrounds. Partly because I half ass it so that's on me since I'm more focused on the person. However, it's because I'm focusing all my work onto them since I'm still learning. Also art, since this is the art forum. Hopefully I followed the rules... I'll look through it again I never really done this before.

iu_185425_7655312.jpg

Notice me Senpai

Response to I have no idea what I am doing 2020-10-26 02:02:17

I think a trap a lot of artists at your general skill level fall into is falling short of your expectations for yourself on a piece. It’s kind of the paradox of being knowledgeable enough to understand what you need to work on in a piece, but not quite having the skill development to execute it to what you think you should be capable of. All artists hit that point, and it is very hard to get out of, and in some forms impossible since no one can be perfect at every type of art.

That notwithstanding, my advice for your situation is work faster. You say you don’t spend enough time on backgrounds, but maybe you’re just spending too much time everywhere else. Not every drawing needs to be fully rendered out and a showcase of all of your acquired skills. Rendering takes a lot of time, so maybe try stripping down your work process to be more focused on the broader strokes, and then if there’s one you really really like render it out fully. It’s better to spend a few hours and have a bunch of studies that are getting incrementally better, than spending that same time on one piece that you’re frustrated at and only got the growth in skill one of those quick studies would have netted you.

I understand your feeling of the piece not being a whole, or that the individual parts of it are disconnected in some way. I was in that place for a long time (and still am in a lot of ways). The best thing to solve that issue is work on compositions. Block out the general structure of your foreground, midground and background before you begin drawing. Follow the general composition format templates like the rule of thirds, golden spiral, strong diagonal etc (I’d give you links but I’m on Mobile sorry) and then build the drawing out from there so that everything has its general place built in. Also pay really close attention to the scale of the background items. For example: If there’s a character standing a few feet in front of a house and they’re the same height it creates a discrepancy, same when two background elements are out of scale with scale as well.

Another trick is to have elements in front of each other, even if a character is the focus, having a plant, or a wall or anything obscuring them a bit really puts them in the world of the drawing more (even more so if they’re interacting with the objects).

Don’t feel bad if you feel like your art isn’t good, you’re learning a skill, nobody comes out with all of the knowledge to draw perfection. The important thing is that you push through and keep drawing stuff you enjoy drawing. Keep recognizing where you can improve, and, most importantly, choosing to put the work in to improve.

Response to I have no idea what I am doing 2020-10-26 02:58:49

iu_185528_1253311.png

this is a general ratio of knowledge to confidence when learning a study such as drawing, looks like yours somewhere in the middle on the bottom, your art is better than mine, a lot of successful artists don't even bother with backgrounds so id say its a plus you are learning them. just like you did, keep noticing what you need to work on and improve thethings you know ur bad at as much as you can to keep improving and eventually you'll get faster and the knowledge/talent will stick.

Avocado's Crazy Castle! Free to Play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbVqm7qKI8

Response to I have no idea what I am doing 2020-10-26 08:54:15

What I really struggle is coloring. I've been experimenting but nothing is to my liking as of now. Generally it takes me a long time to do my artwork but mostly because I take my time. So I don't know if placing a time limit will help. I don't like having lineart, but I can't seem to work without them as a guide. Any tips on coloring with digital brushes?

Notice me Senpai

Response to I have no idea what I am doing 2020-10-26 08:58:51

I was thinking of using a gaussian blur on the horizon that would be less hazy towards the foreground. One thing I really struggle is coloring. I can't seem to get the blend and smoothness I'd like and that inherently hurts my values. Since I don't have strong contrast and things look flat or unfinished. I've never painted on an actual canvas (if that helps on digital) and I've experimented with a few ways but poor results. I might need to go back and study them over.

Notice me Senpai

Response to I have no idea what I am doing 2020-10-26 13:09:49

If your issues lie mostly in coloring and you’re an exclusively a digital artist, start restricting your palette a lot. The most progress I’ve ever made with color was in an oil painting class where every new color cost money so I had to get creative at mixing colors and stick to a few for a given painting because I only had so much physical space on a palette and swapping and cleaning took time, and wasting paint was money down the drain.

Another thing to look into is improving your value range and distribution. If you have really solid value in a painting you can drop almost any color anywhere, appropriately toned to your grayscale value and it will probably work out pretty well. Also fleshing out a drawing in grayscale is quicker and less to worry about than fully coloring.

Also It doesn’t have to be a time limit that’s rigidly enforced, just a general mindset change to work faster and put more focus on more foundational elements as opposed to the bells and whistles a finished piece might have.