00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ayya1 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Starting Digital Art as Absolute Beginner

170 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Does anyone have any advice for getting into digital art/animation as an absolute beginner? I bought a Wacom Intuos and I'm trying to figure out how best to start learning. Are there any online courses or tutorials you can recommend for someone as an absolute beginner?

Response to Starting Digital Art as Absolute Beginner 2020-10-20 00:42:00

Watch these videos Digital Painting 101 , It applies to Photoshop, but most digital painting software should have the same features, just different hotkeys or menus. Now if your also an absolute beginner at drawing then I would recommend to stick to paper and pencil, or better yet a simple ball point pen to train your hand dexterity and confidence. The reason I say that is because using a tablet tends to showcase your weaknesses in drawing quite severely. Good Luck.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Response to Starting Digital Art as Absolute Beginner 2020-10-20 06:19:31

At 10/19/20 10:10 PM, SlimFat wrote: Does anyone have any advice for getting into digital art/animation as an absolute beginner? I bought a Wacom Intuos and I'm trying to figure out how best to start learning. Are there any online courses or tutorials you can recommend for someone as an absolute beginner?

work on drawing basic shapes and don’t start with animation until you learn story boarding there are tons of tutorials online or books (if your old school) also be welcoming of criticism but don’t let it hinder you. Look at as much art as you can finally as not only does this support the industry it will improve your own work with endless inspiration .

if you want a basic lesson glad to help send me a private message and I’ll set you something to do then we will look at how to improve.

First, I would just try and get comfortable with your tablet and digital art program. It can be a bit intimidating at first. Focus on learning the basic tools: layers palette, how selections work. Navigator palette, brushes, flipping / turning your canvas. Next, I would determine what it is you want to do within digital art because that will help guide you as far as what to learn and your future goals. People can suggest good advice to you all day, but if you're not interested in that particular path, it might not be for you. One thing to note is that traditional skills can carry over to digital art, so you won't be starting from absolute zero. Try to think of digital art as just another medium to learn.

A great place to start is the art fundamentals. The key is not just knowing what these are but practicing them. Even advanced artists need to have a firm understanding of these. Most issues that arise in a drawing / painting can be improved by going back to these. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax130yILbw0&list=PLVgLT-e3jXPDgeED0pD0BPq8kY1VAZAGa

Specific Lessons

Drawing https://drawabox.com/

Painting https://www.ctrlpaint.com/library

Principles of Animation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haa7n3UGyDc&list=PL-bOh8btec4CXd2ya1NmSKpi92U_l6ZJd

Blooming even after the darkest of seasons

Response to Starting Digital Art as Absolute Beginner 2020-10-20 08:07:32

i have been using books and YouTube. Probably not the best ways to learn but is working alright for me.

Response to Starting Digital Art as Absolute Beginner 2020-10-20 12:30:36

At 10/20/20 08:07 AM, Swabs wrote: i have been using books and YouTube. Probably not the best ways to learn but is working alright for me.

It's as good as any way being shown is great way to teach an YouTube is a great modern way to do this.

Response to Starting Digital Art as Absolute Beginner 2020-10-20 12:48:07

At 10/20/20 12:30 PM, Tapersteve wrote:
At 10/20/20 08:07 AM, Swabs wrote: i have been using books and YouTube. Probably not the best ways to learn but is working alright for me.
It's as good as any way being shown is great way to teach an YouTube is a great modern way to do this.

Yeah YouTube can work only problem I am find that the information is all over the place