00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

horndogg60 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Trying out Pixel Art

162 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Trying out Pixel Art 2020-10-11 05:28:34

Hello everyone, I've decided to try out pixel art. I started learning the art form last night and have been pretty focused on it for the last day.

I'm currently trying to learn how to shade and highlight objects properly. I started out having a rough time with it. I found out that I was doing something called 'banding', which is one of the reasons I had a hard time starting out. I know nothing about color theory (I should look into it sometime soon) and not really even sure if I'm doing things 'right', but just like with music, I'll learn from my mistakes.

Something I was able to make that I think actually looks pretty good is a 'Test' button. I'm really not sure if it is 'good' or not but I was hoping someone would be willing to give me some pointers based on the image.

I did, somewhat, use a guide while making this, but I did not copy the guide. I mainly used it as a 'push in the right direction'. Just wanted to state that in case anyone was curious.iu_178997_2312906.png

The gaslights all burned out. You left me here to walk along a burial ground, I don't blame you. We all give up eventually

Misery Signals - A glimmer of hope

Response to Trying out Pixel Art 2020-10-11 21:05:28 (edited 2020-10-11 21:10:19)

I'm not an expert at pixel art so I can't give constructive feedback but it does look pretty good so far. There's a book I purchased a while ago on pixel art that is on sale right now for about 14 USD. Make Your Own Pixel Art: Create Graphics, Animations, and More! It focuses heavily on Aseprite software but I think the concepts are adaptable to other similar software. There's probably a bunch of other guides out there for free if you don't feel like paying cash for them. The Youtube channel MortMort does pretty good pixel art tutorials.

Response to Trying out Pixel Art 2020-10-11 22:01:31 (edited 2020-10-11 22:03:43)

At 10/11/20 09:05 PM, Atticdweller123 wrote: I'm not an expert at pixel art so I can't give constructive feedback but it does look pretty good so far. There's a book I purchased a while ago on pixel art that is on sale right now for about 14 USD. Make Your Own Pixel Art: Create Graphics, Animations, and More! It focuses heavily on Aseprite software but I think the concepts are adaptable to other similar software. There's probably a bunch of other guides out there for free if you don't feel like paying cash for them. The Youtube channel MortMort does pretty good pixel art tutorials.

I've actually just downloaded Aseprite and I've been enjoying using it. MortMort is one of the creators that I started to watch to learn how to create sprites. He really goes in depth and explains everything as he goes along so it's nice to use as a guide. I'll have to check out that book and see if it will help me, as well. Thank you so much.

Edit: I actually made another sprite which took about 30 minutes or so. I may start to post some of my works on here for more reference / criticism.iu_179468_2312906.jpg

The gaslights all burned out. You left me here to walk along a burial ground, I don't blame you. We all give up eventually

Response to Trying out Pixel Art 2020-10-12 17:48:07

Here's another one I did today, I did steal the outline but the rest I did by eye. I think this one came out pretty nice. I think the shading and highlighting on this one is the best I have done, so far.iu_179801_2312906.png