00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Quezzyman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Using song lyrics in writing?

268 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How would one go about putting diegetic music into literature? I suppose that term doesn't quite fit here, since the readers can't hear it, but I don't know what else one would call it. Basically in this scene, I have a song come on over a radio, and want to write the first stanza, which then sparks a conversation between the two characters speaking. How would I go about doing that non-awkwardly? Is this already awkward? I've put it as a block quote here, just to highlight the lyrics, but that's not how I'm for sure going to do it.

“Of course it’s boring, Craig! That’s what we’re hoping for, I don’t want shit to go down, or else that gives me more paperwork!” “Yeah, I getcha, Cliff… But can’t we at least turn on the radio or something?” “Well, we’re not supposed to…” Cliff looked down at the radio pensively, the allure of stupid catchy pop-rock drawing him ever closer. “…but what the hell! Alright, 3 2 1 let’s Jam!” Cliff switched on the radio with an overly percussive vigor and tuned to a local rock station. Craig immediately perked up. “Aw yeah! Now you’re speaking my language, love this tune!”

“Gretchen, my girlfriend’s stepmom
works as the manager at the store
she calls my line, late at night
to keep me from getting bored”

“That’s the fuckin life, man.” Cliff said rather wistfully. “What? Working in a grocery store? Trying your best not to fall asleep? Seems like a shit job to me…” Cliff looked flustered at Craig’s low appraisal. “Nah, nah. I’m talking’ having a hot older chick like that looking after you.” “Older women, eh?” As Craig turned on fifty, the charm of an older woman began to become lost on him. At this point, a hot milf relative to his age would be about eighty. There’s nothing seductive about that. Cliff, on the other hand, was young, About twenty three. Part of Craig could understand his viewpoint, but then again, he didn’t really care. “What, you need a sugar mommy? I’m sure I could find you one, you short on cash again? That’s the price you pay for all your stylish suits.”

I need a tanning bed, a 3D life to keep me from the cold.

BBS Signature

Response to Using song lyrics in writing? 2020-02-13 15:03:27

Well the selction of music is a little non energetic to say the least, but er um wouldn't you call that a musical or something??

In Case of Emergency Before 911 Pray 611 and Afterword Sing a Revolutionary 9611.

Genesis 9 Hebrews 11.Matthew 6 Luke 11.Psalm 96 Revolution 11 {Witness The Music}

Response to Using song lyrics in writing? 2020-02-13 16:57:00

At 2/13/20 03:03 PM, MichaelJason1 wrote: Well the selction of music is a little non energetic to say the least, but er um wouldn't you call that a musical or something??

I dunno man, this song is pretty great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFtMfBb3nfA

and nah, it would just be this scene in particular, it was written before I'd developed any plot, but I like the flow of the dialogue, so I'm going to keep it

BBS Signature

Response to Using song lyrics in writing? 2020-02-16 17:39:06

At 2/16/20 02:33 PM, Peaceblossom wrote: I think an interesting way to do this might be to intersplice italicized lyrics with characters' actions.

Gretchen, my girlfriend’s stepmom. The radio was beaming out the crushed phonographic work with a crack and some pops. Craig's face lit up with a beaming smile. "This is it! This is the shit right here!". Works as the manager at the store. He began to tap his heel to the familiar tune, making an audible clack with each hit on the beat. she calls my line, late at night. His head flew back in ecstasy, his heel still tapping away on the hard ground.

I wouldn't even resolve the lyric by finishing the verse.

Holy shit thank you, I prefer that so much to how I was handling it!

BBS Signature