00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

novaruah just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Year New You Week 6

422 Views | 16 Replies

If you joined us last week we were doing 5 situps/crunches a day, or adding 5 situps/crunches to existing workout routines if we already had some.

If you're just joining us then these "challenges" are designed to add 52 extremely simple and easy tasks to our every day activities over the course of the year instead of one huge goal that we don't follow through with. The idea is that they take very little to no time out of your day and cost no money.

Week 6 Challenge:

Take a 30 second cold shower every day.

The ideal time to do this is in the morning, but any time of day will suffice, with or without a warm shower before it. Apart from waking up both body and mind (and maybe vocal chords), it'll get blood pumping all the way into your capillaries - the smallest blood vessels of the body, reducing the strain on your heart, strengthening the immune system and hopefully increasing your focus during the day.

If you for some inexplicable reason already do take cold showers daily then add another 30 seconds. Wim Hof the Iceman does two minutes no problem, so if you have no problem with two minutes either why not try besting Wim Hof and further build upon this cool morning routine? If however taking daily showers just isn't possible for you: aim for one every other day instead, or week, or weekends only - however often your schedule allows. Ice baths are fine too.

If you happen to be sick, pregnant, or have heart issues (that can't be fixed with cold showers) you might also want to skip this routine. Take a hot one instead. Hygiene's important too.

Once you're out of that shower you might want to also do some crunches and pushups to warm up. Or warm up first, and if you happen to live in a country with good drinking water you could get that daily H2O dose too while you cool down in this ritual cleansing and meditative deluge.

Keep taking these challenges and follow along with other newgrounds celebs such as @TomFulp and @CoachFro (do wonder how he might handle this one)!

Past Challenges:

(Remember to keep completing these challenges as well. We aren't forgetting about these and starting new ones, we are slowly adding additional new ones throughout the year!)

Week 1: Drink one more glass of water

Week 2: Do 5 pushups a day

Week 3: Spend less time with electronics

Week 4: Remove one Sugary Drink

Week 5: Do 5 situps/crunches a day

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 6 2020-02-03 12:54:15

At 2/3/20 12:38 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Week 6 Challenge:

I usually shower in boiling temperatures.

iu_90469_2278460.jpg

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 6 2020-02-03 13:09:49 (edited 2020-02-03 13:10:43)

At 2/3/20 01:02 PM, SethSkoda wrote: You stepping on @Fro's toes, now?

With permission. ;)

It's a coordinated step.

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 6 2020-02-03 13:28:12

At 2/3/20 12:54 PM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 2/3/20 12:38 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Week 6 Challenge:

I usually shower in boiling temperatures.

Then this should be even more challenging for you no? ;) It's all about the challenge innit.

I assume you aren't pregnant either.

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 6 2020-02-03 15:52:52

Grrrr...

I don't really take showers. I take baths though. I really like to soak in the tub for a long time to help with muscle recovery. That being said, I have frequently taken a hot bath and then finished it off with a cold shower.

I would move my showering to the morning, but I workout throughout the day and don't want to go to bed stinky and sticky. I'll figure it out.

Response to New Year New You Week 6 2020-02-03 16:50:46

At 2/3/20 03:52 PM, Fro wrote: I'll figure it out.

Ice baths? ;)

There didn't really seem to be an ideal way to cater this to your schedule, morning being by far that best time to reap those benefits after all. But any time's better than no time! Super quick routine. Thirty seconds only. Interested to hear how it goes.

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 6 2020-02-04 02:56:09

At 2/3/20 01:28 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:

I'm drinking enough alcohol to induce a miscarriage just in case I am.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 6 2020-02-04 06:58:36

The mornings are too cold this season, I'll be shaking for an hour if I take a cold shower. Pass.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 6 2020-02-04 10:48:23 (edited 2020-02-04 10:48:51)

At 2/4/20 06:58 AM, satanbrain wrote: The mornings are too cold this season, I'll be shaking for an hour if I take a cold shower. Pass.

If done continually cold showers should actually start making you warmer. Improved circulation/oxygenation of the blood should have that effect. Personally I notice I'm no longer getting cold feet towards the end of the day.

Long as you don't happen to spend the entire day standing still outside somewhere.

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 6 2020-02-04 10:49:04

At 2/4/20 02:56 AM, DamnedByFate wrote:
At 2/3/20 01:28 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
I'm drinking enough alcohol to induce a miscarriage just in case I am.

Hmm cold shower to further facilitate an alcohol-induced warm up session after?

This might be just your thing!

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 6 2020-02-04 11:06:40

At 2/4/20 10:48 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 2/4/20 06:58 AM, satanbrain wrote: The mornings are too cold this season, I'll be shaking for an hour if I take a cold shower. Pass.
If done continually cold showers should actually start making you warmer. Improved circulation/oxygenation of the blood should have that effect. Personally I notice I'm no longer getting cold feet towards the end of the day.

I've got something akin to Raynaud syndrome, it's counterproductive to be colder.

Long as you don't happen to spend the entire day standing still outside somewhere.

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 6 2020-02-04 11:33:34 (edited 2020-02-04 11:33:54)

At 2/4/20 11:06 AM, satanbrain wrote: I've got something akin to Raynaud syndrome, it's counterproductive to be colder.

Oh, it does sound like something to avoid then, but maybe this is really exactly what you need: https://www.reddit.com/r/Raynauds/comments/aej5ib/cold_showers_wim_hof_method/

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 6 2020-02-04 11:46:13

At 2/4/20 11:33 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 2/4/20 11:06 AM, satanbrain wrote: I've got something akin to Raynaud syndrome, it's counterproductive to be colder.
Oh, it does sound like something to avoid then, but maybe this is really exactly what you need: https://www.reddit.com/r/Raynauds/comments/aej5ib/cold_showers_wim_hof_method/

He also has a disorder where his body produces no sugar by itself and he has to drink multiple sugary drinks in a day or he'll die.

Response to New Year New You Week 6 2020-02-04 12:23:32

Doesn't look very scientific.

At 2/4/20 11:46 AM, Fro wrote:
He also has a disorder where his body produces no sugar by itself and he has to drink multiple sugary drinks in a day or he'll die.

It's a matter of balance.

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 6 2020-02-04 14:34:46

i love that the wim hof method sounds just like edging but for blood capillaries.this is intriguing maybe i should join because 30 seconds of cold shower is doable i read some book years back about these dudes who climbed mountains nakie and did deep breathing.... think it was called what doesnt kill us

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to New Year New You Week 6 2020-02-04 16:17:38 (edited 2020-02-04 16:18:00)

At 2/4/20 11:46 AM, Fro wrote: He also has a disorder where his body produces no sugar by itself and he has to drink multiple sugary drinks in a day or he'll die.

I've heard of that one. XD

But really though, this might be a real thing.

At 2/4/20 12:23 PM, satanbrain wrote: Doesn't look very scientific.

Science is the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment no? Personal experience seems highly relevant there.

Just saying it seems worth a try. If cold showers are scientifically proven to facilitate circulation, and this particular condition is one where arteries and blood vessels constrict, then maybe it might assist with keeping them from doing so.

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 6 2020-02-04 16:20:12

At 2/4/20 02:34 PM, Boss wrote: i love that the wim hof method sounds just like edging but for blood capillaries.this is intriguing maybe i should join because 30 seconds of cold shower is doable i read some book years back about these dudes who climbed mountains nakie and did deep breathing.... think it was called what doesnt kill us

Hell yeah man. :) Wim Hof's an inspiration, although 30 seconds isn't the exact amount he prescribes, just seems like a time it's possible to jump into right away. That book sounds interesting too, so other people have been doing this too huh...

Also @DamnedByFate I mean alcohol makes you warmer. Cold showers seem like the perfect combo!

BBS Signature