00:00
00:00
Upgrade Your Account!

Hey! To start this decade right, we believe Newgrounds should be ad-free for EVERYONE. For this to work, we need people who have the means to become paying supporters. For just $3 per month or $25 for the year, you can help this happen and get some nice perks!

For the month of January we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 165 people to reach our January goal of 3,000 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in February!

Please check out our Supporter Upgrade and consider coming aboard!

New Year New You Week 2

284 Views | 30 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-06 10:37:43


If you joined us last week we were drinking an extra glass of water every day for the rest of the year. Not shooting for the moon, just making an active choice to drink one extra glass.


If you're just joining us then these "challenges" are designed to add 52 extremely simple and easy tasks to our every day activities over the course of the year instead of one huge goal that we don't follow through with. The idea is that they take very little to no time out of your day and cost no money.


Week 2 Challenge:


This week your challenge is to do 5 pushups. Yep, that's all. Should only take a good 10-30 seconds out of your day to roll out of bed, onto the floor, and pop out 5 pushups in the morning. Heck, do them in bed, do them before going to bed, do them in the middle of the highway, do them in your office, etc... I recommend doing them first thing in the morning then head to the kitchen and get yourself a glass of water. You'll most likely be wide awake at that point.


If you already exercise or do pushups in a day add 5 more to your routine. If you can't do a proper push up get your knees down on the ground and do "easy" pushups. Still can't do those? Put a pillow under your chest and work down to touch the pillow. Over the weeks push down the pillow even farther with your chest until you no longer need it.


Past Challenges:


Week 1: Drink one more glass of water



BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-06 11:05:17


I'm a fatty and I can manage 10 pushups! I'm a fatty because I don't excercise, but I can try and do this.


Play Sick Games: [1] [2] [3]

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-06 13:08:33


Even just five was pretty tiresome first thing in the morning, but can't wait to see what this feels like in a month or so, expecting super high energy and buffness...


Good routines so far.


Check out the NRC / Hexa #56 (Nov)

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-06 13:17:14


At 1/6/20 11:05 AM, Little-Rena wrote: I'm a fatty and I can manage 10 pushups! I'm a fatty because I don't excercise, but I can try and do this.


fat girls are hawt

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-06 14:04:34


At 1/6/20 01:08 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Even just five was pretty tiresome first thing in the morning, but can't wait to see what this feels like in a month or so, expecting super high energy and buffness...

Good routines so far.


I forgot to do mine when I got out of bed. I walked to work and just did them in my office as soon as I got settled. That's what I was hoping for setting the reps so low. You could kind of do them at any point throughout the day.


Now off to the gym in an hour to do some actual lifting... might have a week of soreness after taking the Holidays off.


BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-06 18:03:24 (edited 2020-01-06 18:11:41)


At 1/6/20 02:04 PM, Fro wrote: I forgot to do mine when I got out of bed. I walked to work and just did them in my office as soon as I got settled. That's what I was hoping for setting the reps so low. You could kind of do them at any point throughout the day.

Now off to the gym in an hour to do some actual lifting... might have a week of soreness after taking the Holidays off.


Nice. I'm hoping to manage all of this stuff first thing in the morning, feels like the best time to really make it routine, but for sure, good to be able to do all things at all times.


Speaking of lifting: apparently you gain muscle mass at best the earlier during the day you do it too. Most testosterone in the morning. I've always done that stuff after work but finna try to change that, 2020, everything's falling in place...


Check out the NRC / Hexa #56 (Nov)

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-07 02:10:29


It's been seven days since I ran over that homeless guy, but I'm committed to set an example for myself to not hit anymore people with my car, so that's a form of improvement right?!


I'm confident that I could really do this, guys!


Oh, and seven days on the run from the long arm of the law.

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-07 06:18:20


At 1/7/20 02:10 AM, ZomAlien wrote: It's been seven days since I ran over that homeless guy, but I'm committed to set an example for myself to not hit anymore people with my car, so that's a form of improvement right?!

I'm confident that I could really do this, guys!

Oh, and seven days on the run from the long arm of the law.


Maybe not running over people with our cars could be one of our upcoming 50 self-improvement challenges hmm...


You can do it!


Check out the NRC / Hexa #56 (Nov)

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-07 10:54:12


At 1/7/20 06:18 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 1/7/20 02:10 AM, ZomAlien wrote: It's been seven days since I ran over that homeless guy, but I'm committed to set an example for myself to not hit anymore people with my car, so that's a form of improvement right?!

I'm confident that I could really do this, guys!

Oh, and seven days on the run from the long arm of the law.
Maybe not running over people with our cars could be one of our upcoming 50 self-improvement challenges hmm...

You can do it!


I think maybe once I start running out of ideas, not killing people might be a decent goal. It may be hard for some people though so we'll add it towards the end of the year...


I did my pushups at home this time. I was very sore from the upper body day I had at the gym yesterday, but still pushed through them.


We've made a diet change and an exercise change so far. I'm thinking of a mental health change for next week. Meditation? Something sleep related? Family time related? No electronics related? Any other ideas?


BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-07 12:22:15


At 1/7/20 10:54 AM, Fro wrote: I think maybe once I start running out of ideas, not killing people might be a decent goal. It may be hard for some people though so we'll add it towards the end of the year...


Those last few weeks would be perfect for some real challenges. Daily marathons each day of the final week-like, non-long-run-sustainable but crazy rewarding...


Maybe half-marathons are a bit more reasonable though.


I did my pushups at home this time. I was very sore from the upper body day I had at the gym yesterday, but still pushed through them.


Huzzah! I fear doing any serious workouts now lest I not manage this most fundamental one. So far so good...


We've made a diet change and an exercise change so far. I'm thinking of a mental health change for next week. Meditation? Something sleep related? Family time related? No electronics related? Any other ideas?


Daily cold showers, thirty seconds long? They'd be great for all of the above: improves immune system, focus, sleep, also probably the amount of time you have to spend with family based on all those previous factors... and it requires some serious mental willpower just to step under that icy water right away. Can be done in conjunction with a warm shower too, but for optimal wake-up benefits: as soon as you get out of bed.


Would also like to try some kind of very short meditation routine where every morning you just sit down, focus, and let go of all expectations. Without them all progress you make during that day is all the more rewarding. Free yourself. Relax. Start the day the right way... started that one year but didn't get very far.


Also: Sleep posture improvement? Some kind of deep breathing or relaxation thing just before you drift away?


Also 2: Cutting out all activity on a social media site of choice (it better not be NG though) for at least a day each week, or all regular week days, or the weekend - good way to ease up on some specific addiction.


Electronic related: Cellphones off at night?


Check out the NRC / Hexa #56 (Nov)

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-08 10:24:40


At 1/7/20 12:22 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 1/7/20 10:54 AM, Fro wrote: I think maybe once I start running out of ideas, not killing people might be a decent goal. It may be hard for some people though so we'll add it towards the end of the year...
Those last few weeks would be perfect for some real challenges. Daily marathons each day of the final week-like, non-long-run-sustainable but crazy rewarding...

Maybe half-marathons are a bit more reasonable though.


Good idea... while I won't personally run a half-marathon I would gladly run a mile a day or something, but yeah, the last couple of weeks should definitely be challenging. I'll just have to keep in mind that it'll be December at that time and therefor snow for a lot of people.



I did my pushups at home this time. I was very sore from the upper body day I had at the gym yesterday, but still pushed through them.
Huzzah! I fear doing any serious workouts now lest I not manage this most fundamental one. So far so good...

We've made a diet change and an exercise change so far. I'm thinking of a mental health change for next week. Meditation? Something sleep related? Family time related? No electronics related? Any other ideas?
Daily cold showers, thirty seconds long? They'd be great for all of the above: improves immune system, focus, sleep, also probably the amount of time you have to spend with family based on all those previous factors... and it requires some serious mental willpower just to step under that icy water right away. Can be done in conjunction with a warm shower too, but for optimal wake-up benefits: as soon as you get out of bed.


I like taking cold showers. In fact, in the summer time that's the only type of shower that I take just because there's no air conditioning where I live so the summers are very hot yet the winters are very mild. That also means that we don't really use heat in the winter, but it's still cold enough that a cold shower would be terrifying for me.



Would also like to try some kind of very short meditation routine where every morning you just sit down, focus, and let go of all expectations. Without them all progress you make during that day is all the more rewarding. Free yourself. Relax. Start the day the right way... started that one year but didn't get very far.

Also: Sleep posture improvement? Some kind of deep breathing or relaxation thing just before you drift away?

Also 2: Cutting out all activity on a social media site of choice (it better not be NG though) for at least a day each week, or all regular week days, or the weekend - good way to ease up on some specific addiction.

Electronic related: Cellphones off at night?


All of these things are great ideas. I think I have have enough for multiple weeks now.


BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-08 10:25:51


I've found that as long as I land between 100-150 ounces of water a day I feel great. I forgot my 25 ounce bottle at home today, so I'm stuck with an 8 ounce cup. Oh well, I'll get more steps in between my office and the water cooler I suppose.


BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-08 10:42:49 (edited 2020-01-08 10:43:56)


At 1/8/20 10:24 AM, Fro wrote: Good idea... while I won't personally run a half-marathon I would gladly run a mile a day or something, but yeah, the last couple of weeks should definitely be challenging. I'll just have to keep in mind that it'll be December at that time and therefor snow for a lot of people.


I might've maybe not have meant half-marathon length in an all serious manner there, but by the end of the year who knows... if this self-betterment programme really goes as it's supposed to maybe we're actually at that level


Maybe a ski-related alternative could be a thing.


I like taking cold showers. In fact, in the summer time that's the only type of shower that I take just because there's no air conditioning where I live so the summers are very hot yet the winters are very mild. That also means that we don't really use heat in the winter, but it's still cold enough that a cold shower would be terrifying for me.


We have heated floors over here, but winters in Southern Sweden are generally so mild we don't need any extra heating either. Definitely more tolerable in the summer. Cold season + first thing in the morning = optimal challenge.


Really makes you feel warmer the rest of the day too IMO.


All of these things are great ideas. I think I have have enough for multiple weeks now.


Awesome. Looking forward to next week's surprise betterment.


Check out the NRC / Hexa #56 (Nov)

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-08 10:44:19


At 1/8/20 10:25 AM, Fro wrote: I've found that as long as I land between 100-150 ounces of water a day I feel great. I forgot my 25 ounce bottle at home today, so I'm stuck with an 8 ounce cup. Oh well, I'll get more steps in between my office and the water cooler I suppose.


Way cooler that way too. Water cooler.


Check out the NRC / Hexa #56 (Nov)

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-08 11:10:49


At 1/8/20 10:44 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 1/8/20 10:25 AM, Fro wrote: I've found that as long as I land between 100-150 ounces of water a day I feel great. I forgot my 25 ounce bottle at home today, so I'm stuck with an 8 ounce cup. Oh well, I'll get more steps in between my office and the water cooler I suppose.
Way cooler that way too. Water cooler.


Water you talking about?


BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-08 11:26:14


At 1/8/20 11:10 AM, Fro wrote:
At 1/8/20 10:44 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 1/8/20 10:25 AM, Fro wrote: I've found that as long as I land between 100-150 ounces of water a day I feel great. I forgot my 25 ounce bottle at home today, so I'm stuck with an 8 ounce cup. Oh well, I'll get more steps in between my office and the water cooler I suppose.
Way cooler that way too. Water cooler.
Water you talking about?


Water ever comes to mind!


Check out the NRC / Hexa #56 (Nov)

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-08 11:42:28


At 1/8/20 11:26 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 1/8/20 11:10 AM, Fro wrote:
At 1/8/20 10:44 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 1/8/20 10:25 AM, Fro wrote: I've found that as long as I land between 100-150 ounces of water a day I feel great. I forgot my 25 ounce bottle at home today, so I'm stuck with an 8 ounce cup. Oh well, I'll get more steps in between my office and the water cooler I suppose.
Way cooler that way too. Water cooler.
Water you talking about?
Water ever comes to mind!


iu_84137_808532.png


BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-08 11:56:12


I'm doing my push ups!


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-08 12:01:09


At 1/8/20 11:42 AM, Fro wrote: Fountain kid


The things that kid's cabubble of. :O


Not sure I can match this... stream of puns run dry.


Check out the NRC / Hexa #56 (Nov)

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-08 15:39:28


At 1/8/20 11:56 AM, TomFulp wrote: I'm doing my push ups!


BuffFulp


Play Sick Games: [1] [2] [3]

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-09 12:46:03


At 1/8/20 03:39 PM, Little-Rena wrote:
At 1/8/20 11:56 AM, TomFulp wrote: I'm doing my push ups!
BuffFulp


It's getting harder for me to remember to do them, but I guess maybe that's what this thread is for. I'll get down and do them now...


Also, I only drank about 80 ounces of water yesterday and also felt pretty fatigued. I don't know if those two things had anything in common, but I'm at 50 so far for today (at 9:45 AM) and already feel much better.


BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-09 17:08:03


How cliche it might be, i wanted to start the new year by losing weight. first week went well, but now i am on my period, and i'm also shitting my pants because i ate something bad. fuck me.

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-09 17:18:42


Well that's a synch, I already do 10-20 pushups a day, along with 10-20 squats.


I'm working my way up to becoming One Punch Man with better hair.


This poast is brought to you by the writer of a fanfiction that critics called "Really out of character" and "Gae"!

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-09 17:20:34


At 1/9/20 05:18 PM, BillyRedSnake wrote: Well that's a synch, I already do 10-20 pushups a day, along with 10-20 squats.


Great, just do 15-25 pushups and you're right on queue!



I'm working my way up to becoming One Punch Man with better hair.


Image result for one punch man ok


BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-10 03:31:35


At 1/6/20 10:37 AM, Fro wrote: Week 2 Challenge:


Five pushups a day, or five pushups for this whole week?


I put an african elephant in my fridge but I don't know how to get it out...

I'm usually over here.

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-10 07:08:27


At 1/8/20 03:39 PM, Little-Rena wrote:
At 1/8/20 11:56 AM, TomFulp wrote: I'm doing my push ups!


Aw yeah it's getting real now!


BuffFulp


Ain't that squats tho? Come on now Little-Rena, this here is fundamental shape-bettering performance terminology.


Assume those are next week.

Check out the NRC / Hexa #56 (Nov)

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-10 07:10:30


At 1/9/20 12:46 PM, Fro wrote: It's getting harder for me to remember to do them, but I guess maybe that's what this thread is for. I'll get down and do them now...


First thing in the morning routine stuff? ;) Really makes it easier to remember IMO.


This might've been the best way I've ever started a New Year. Solid self-betterment plan with added aspect of subtle competition for optimal motivation. Though can't help be skeptical about actually working in another fifty steps of this before the year's over...


Check out the NRC / Hexa #56 (Nov)

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-10 07:10:41


At 1/10/20 03:31 AM, Yomuchan wrote: Five pushups a day, or five pushups for this whole week?


A day, every day, all year, all years, all decade, forever! Discipline! Yeah!!!


Check out the NRC / Hexa #56 (Nov)

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-10 07:13:59


At 1/9/20 05:08 PM, LoveGreenDay96 wrote: How cliche it might be, i wanted to start the new year by losing weight. first week went well, but now i am on my period, and i'm also shitting my pants because i ate something bad. fuck me.


On the bright side at least you're losing weight now, right...?


Even if the year didn't start perfect there's plenty of time left to get there. Small steps.


Check out the NRC / Hexa #56 (Nov)

BBS Signature

Response to New Year New You Week 2 2020-01-10 08:16:44


At 1/10/20 07:13 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 1/9/20 05:08 PM, LoveGreenDay96 wrote: How cliche it might be, i wanted to start the new year by losing weight. first week went well, but now i am on my period, and i'm also shitting my pants because i ate something bad. fuck me.
On the bright side at least you're losing weight now, right...?

Even if the year didn't start perfect there's plenty of time left to get there. Small steps.


yeah that's true, but i wish it went the normal way xD