00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tdpreston just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚

20,386 Views | 537 Replies

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-09 21:01:04

38: Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

recommended by a friend who reads it at least once a year and my wife who said it sparked her interest in sci fi/fantasy in high school.

I enjoyed the book. I am embarrassed to admit I have never seen the first film to the end. It came out when I was a kid and when we watched it on home video I was only 6 or 7 and the raptor scenes were just too much for me so I ran back to my room and had a cry. I've seen the recent films without too much crying.

The book was excellent. It did a better job than the movies with feeling like real sci fi and even the technology wasn't too far off from what you might have seen in the 80s. It felt just out of the bounds of possible even today.

Next up, you guessed it, is the sequel.

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic byTemplate88 ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-10 00:22:34

Hello, I never really joined this thread

but, I was aiming to get though my personal library that I collected last year that keeps growing every time I visit a bookstore...

Anyway, I didnt want to set an arbitrary number because I knew it would stress me out, but I want to post about some of the books I read so far since I finished a couple good ones and I want to see how many books I can get through this year.

Anyhoo, have you guys just stopped reading entirely because of a shitty book?

iu_166122_5739368.jpgiu_166123_5739368.jpg

Shades of Night by Rick Hautala set me back couple months because the story was so boring and the main character was just such a nervous wreck with no spine and full of self doubt that is made it very hard to sit through this story when you know the main character is just a dumbass all and all

This is supposed to be a horror, but the author portrays alot of the events in this book as if its all the main characters imagination and hysteria that's causing it to the point that you just dont even want her to survive at the end. There was one part in the book where I had genuine goosebumps from fear, but this book is other wise a piss poor read

I cannot see without my asses

BBS Signature

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-10 04:20:23

Crawled through my first book of the month - Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely.

This is a behavioural economics book from 2008 - it was a New York Times best seller at the time and I vaguely remembered it being discussed when I did my undergrad. As I never got around to reading it then I thought I would give it a go now.

Ariely breaks down some of the key issues in traditional economic thinking and offers a brief introduction to behavioral economics. He uses a series of small scale experiments he conducted while at MIT to highlight the weaknesses in economic assumptions.

It's written well and I was certainly interested - I think by the time I was studying in university a lot of these ideas had been integrated into the curriculum. Due to that, there wasn't a lot of surprising information here. Obviously the book is 12 years old, so I probably should have known that.

The final section that discusses the financial crash of 2008 (added in a later addition) is definitely worth reading though. it captures some of the less discussed issues that contributed to the failure of financial markets at the time.

Pretty decent read - that said I am looking forward to reading something in the world of fiction now as a bit of a palette cleanser! I start back into evening college in two weeks so I'll have to cram as much reading in before then!

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-11 01:23:08

I managed to gather the books I read this year so I can keep track of my count, so far my total is: 13

iu_166499_5739368.jpg

Mrs. Poe By Lynn Cullen - this book was really interesting and not something I would have read without a recommendation from a friend. This book is Historical Fiction about a struggling poet who starts to have an affair with Edgar Allen Poe himself while his cousin/wife is struggling with a crippling sickness. Not sure this is something I would recommend to anyone, but I liked it nonetheless

The Storied life of AJ Fikry By Gabrielle Zevin - This novel is about a grumpy bookstore owner down on his luck who slowly finds happiness and meaning in his life right when he thinks things cant get any worse. Its a good read, very emotionally driven.

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner - This book is about a braggadocios thief who gets himself arrested and then ordered by his realms king to go on a secret quest to steal a precious item in another country. Its pretty good, it won awards and stuff...

Memoirs of a Space Traveler by Stanisław Lem - Lem is one of my favorite authors and this book is a fun collection of science fiction what ifs

Nothing Burns in Hell by Phillip Jose Farmer - This is detective fiction about a private investigator who finds himself in some trouble after taking a shady job. Its okish, I got really bored reading this, but didnt have too much trouble actually finishing it.

Storm Thief by Chris Woodling - This is a dystopian science-fiction novel about two thieves get hunted down by their guild after keeping an artifact they stole in a heist. The story is set on a city on a isolated island that is tormented by "probability storms" which cause random shit to happen.

The Lovecraft Compendium By H.P. Lovecraft - I always thought Lovecraft was overrated and this collection of "his greatest collection" reinforces my opinion of him. I did like the story "The Whisperer in Darkness". That story was absolutely terrifying.

Time is the Simplest Thing by Clifford D. Simak - This book sucked ass, I felt like the story was really unorganized and undetailed and honestly kinda cringe. Its about a dude who absorbs the conscience of a alien being and then gets hunted down by his former employers because they want the power that the alien conscience gives.

Second Life by Paul Griner - This author gave me the impression that he's really pretentious. This book is about a corpse wrangler who gets caught in a scandal after getting caught selling body parts, she then finds out her former best friend's body has gone missing, so she goes out trying to track it down risking her parole and her life. Like I said, the author gave me an impression that he is pretentious by the way he wrote this story, which btw is not that interesting. I dont recommend this book.

Saturn Run by John Sandford and Ctein - This is a really great science fiction book. Saturn Run is about a space race between America and China after an anomaly is seen approaching Saturn. So the race is on as the two countries assemble their best and try to see who can reach Saturn first to investigate the phenomenon seen by their telescopes.

Grey by Jon Armstrong - This book was alot wackier than I expected. Grey is about the son of a rich CEO who loses everything after a assassination attempt, he then tries to get his life and ex fiance back while his father tries to politically marry him off to another CEO for financial gain and .leverage Honestly not that great of a story, the author has alot of imagination, but I dont think it was for the best when it came to this story.

Cujo by Stephan King - This book is a classic. The story is about a St Bernard who goes mad and lays waste to all those who were unlucky enough to be in his path during his sickness. My favorite thing about this book is how Stephan ties it all together with a series of very unfortunate coincidences that all prove to be the fatal end of some of the characters in this story.

This is all I read so far, hopefully I can get alot more read before the year ends

BBS Signature

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-12 15:15:06

Done reading these books:

74. Der dreizehnte Monat (Black Swan Green), David Mitchell, 492 pages

75. Elf Arten der Einsamkeit (Eleven Kinds of Loneliness), Richard Yates, 288 pages

76. Un Lon Dun (Un Lun Dun), China Mieville, 590 pages

77. Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk, 253 pages

78. Das wahre Wesen der Dinge, Ted Chiang, 284 pages

79. Spuk in Hill House (The Haunting of Hill House), Shirley Jackson, 272 pages

80. Still Alice, Lisa Genova, 320 pages

Black Swan Green:

Plays in 1982, England. Jason Taylor is thirteen years old and has secrets - first, he writes poems under another name and also - he stutters. Both things he needs to keep hidden because otherwise his reputation among the other school boys will be tarnished forever. In the timeframe of the book also falls the Falklands War - the whole village where Jason Taylor lives in is watching the news daily as Tom Yew, on of its residents, takes part in the conflict.

In addition to keeping his secrets and dealing with staggering amounts of bullying by schoolgangs, Jasons parents also seem to drift away from each other, most conversations riddled with poison. Jason has to learn to accept who he is - and step up to others even when the odds are looking bad.

Great book. Beautifully written and feels very realistic and sincere, apparently David Mitchel himself suffered from stuttering as a teenager so it's possible that a lot from his experiences went into this story.

Eleven Kinds of Loneliness:

11 stories about people striving to fullfilling their dreams but slowly getting their vision of a better life eroded by reality. From an unsuccesful writer aspiring to be next Hemingway, to a couple dreading the marriage that they thought would bring them flawless happiness to a dedicated teacher trying to help a new student integrate into class but turning them into more of an outsider, etc.

Very good book. I liked all stories here, especially how none of the characters seemed overly delusional about their aspirations but were all on a realistic level that most people have and how it showcases that even little luck can be unobtainable for some.

Un Lun Dun:

Zenna and her best friend Deeba live in London. The past weeks have been strange - as Zeena has been greeted by stray animals and called the "choisie" by strangers - french for "chosen one". Through mysterious ways the girls end up in Un Lun Dun - a city that mirrors London but is highly different - trash can become sentient, giraffes are flesh eating monsters, etc. Soon after arriving, Zenna is asked to fulfill her destiny - saving Un Lun Dun from the dangerous Smog - a combination of all smog that has become sentient and is trying to take over both cities -and more.

Good book. First third sets the stage, after that the book becomes a lot better. Aimed at younger audiences but still enjoyable.

Fight Club:

You're not supposed to talk about it, so I won't. Bizarre book at first but after getting used to that, I greatly enjoyed it.

Das wahre Wesen der Dinge:

Collection of short stories. There isn't one english book that has the same content, but you can find most of them in Stories of Your Life and Others and Exhalation:Stories.

These stories are included in Das wahre Wesen der Dinge:

"Understand", "Division by Zero", "Senty-Two Letters", "The Evolution of Human Science", "Liking What You See:A Documentary", "What's Expected Of Us", "The Lifecycle of Software Subjects" and "Dacey's Patent Automatic".

Ou of these, I liked "The Lifecycle of Software Subjects" and "Liking What You See:A Documentary" the most but all of the stories are fantastic. Highly recommend you check these out. First is about the development of sort of digital pets that can talk and have the ability to learn stuff, etc. The later is about a tool getting invented that functions like a switch in the brain that has the effect that human beauty cannot be recognised - so everyone is perceived as being physically equally attractive. The procedure is not mandatory and the story showcases various viewpoints - from some wanting it to be mandatory - to makeup companies campaigning against it, etc.

The Haunting of Hill House:

Dr. Montague is a scholar who investigates places to discover pschic occurences. His next target for such an investigation is Hill House. He invites numerous people but in the end, only three people show up: Eleonora, Theodora and Luke. A big chunk of the book revolves around them arriving at the house and them getting used to each other, while spooky stuff starts to happen with increased frequence.

Decent book. Not very spooky and the characters were kind of annoying sometimes but overall I still liked the story.

Still Alice:

Alice is a 49 years old Psychology professor at Harvard, has a happy marriage and three children. Everything is good, except that sometimes, she can't recall a word or forgets small things. These occurcence increase in frequency and she decides to visit a doctor. Soon after, the diagnosis is clear: Alice suffers from a form of Alzheimer's disease that develops and starts earlier than the regular version - and also has a 50% to be passed on to her children - and if it does, a 100% chance of breaking out.

The books follows Alice's path through the early years of the disease - what she has to let go (her work as a professor) but also her rekindling her formerly rocky relationship to her youngest daughter, Lydia, who decided to become an actress instead of going to college.

Great book. I was already familiar with how Alzheimer's progresses since I read up on that after learning that Terry Pratchett had basically the same early developping Alzheimer that is described in the book. A truly heartbreaking fate, especially the days when memory works mostly normally and makes the patients realise how their mind vanishes more and more must be an unfathomable burden. How much time do you have to enjoy things - to enjoy the company of your family and friends before you forget who they are? A relative or partner of someone with this disease doesn't just lose them once - they see them die a thousand times and each glimmer of their former being must be bittersweet.

Highly recommend this book.

iu_167149_3621830.jpg

Tuturu~ ♫

Without truth, there is no justice.

Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users

BBS Signature

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-17 13:56:43

At 9/4/20 06:32 PM, Boss wrote: mind goes to the fantastical possibilities... because his perseverance made his seem so deserving of that victory and for life to seem sweeter as it is wrapped,

Of course, and I'd say that's what the book is going for. He deserves more but got something ordinary. In the prologue we're told Stoner was quickly forgotten and didn't leave much of an impact on anyone, his legacy is a name with no context in the university. It's about taking that kind of name and digging into the depth of life hidden behind it.

even though I think him dying holding a book and it just becoming unclear is kind of profound and really funny tongue in cheek kind if meta lol,

I didn't even think of the meta element there. That scene fucked me up though. Dying alone but taking solace in the one thing he could fully call his own and be proud of, it was a perfect end.

Also worth noting that it does somewhat mirror the author, in that this book was quietly published and had a limited run. Not until the 2000s, a decade after his death, was it rediscovered and garnered the acclaim it now has. Helps the analogy that he was also a professor with a PhD in English, his was to an extent the kind of name the book is written about.

At 9/9/20 09:01 PM, Malachy wrote: 38: Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
I am embarrassed to admit I have never seen the first film to the end. I've seen the recent films without too much crying.
The book was excellent. It did a better job than the movies with feeling like real sci fi...

Definitely give the film another shot, it's a solid classic and even the CG still holds up and looks better than films that came out 5 years ago. All the (film) sequels have been soulless cash grab garbo though, the original is in a totally different class.

At 9/10/20 12:22 AM, CoolCatDaddio wrote: Anyway, I didnt want to set an arbitrary number because I knew it would stress me out, but I want to post about some of the books I read so far since I finished a couple good ones and I want to see how many books I can get through this year.

Want to be on the roster? You don't need a goal but I'd give you an @ mention each month and you'd be in the monthly image thing. It's fine if not.

Anyhoo, have you guys just stopped reading entirely because of a shitty book?

For sure, it's good to know when to quit a volume and move on. Though on the other hand even books I'm enjoying I often don't finish. 

At 9/12/20 12:12 AM, Peaceblossom wrote: Second: I finished Carrie by Stephen King. Pretty decent, shorter read as far as King goes. I guess I just expect his work to be more thriller and less horror.

Carrie was his first published novel, fwiw, there wasn't really a standard for Stephen King yet. He had written thrillers but horror is seemingly what the publishers wanted initially.

I also find both film versions of Carrie (1976 and 2013) pretty great, though the latter has shitty CG that kind of ruins the climax & Chloe Moretz is about the last actress believable as an unpopular social outcast.

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-17 19:39:02

At 9/17/20 01:56 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 9/10/20 12:22 AM, CoolCatDaddio wrote: Anyway, I didnt want to set an arbitrary number because I knew it would stress me out, but I want to post about some of the books I read so far since I finished a couple good ones and I want to see how many books I can get through this year.
Want to be on the roster? You don't need a goal but I'd give you an @ mention each month and you'd be in the monthly image thing. It's fine if not.

Sure, put me in coach!

BBS Signature

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-17 20:29:48

23) Variety of Online Articles and a couple of print here and there.

Like the title suggests, a variety of online and print articles were read. The majority of which revolving around network marketing and troubleshooting.

24) Business Basics Bootcamp by Mitche Graf [In Progress]

Just started reading but will be finished by either the 18th or 19th. Once done, I will leave a review.

Honorable Mention: Reading my Hall-18 submission piece The Snatchers.

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-20 13:03:02

A Wizard of EarthSea by Ursula le Guin

I picked this up in a charity shop because I had heard someone on Youtube talk about it.

The story follows Sparrowhawk - a young wizard travelling across Earthsea to correct a mistake he's made.

I really enjoyed it - I felt the worldbuilding was really strong and the main character is easy to relate to. In some ways - the story reminded me of a very pared back version of something Patrick Rothfuss might write (without all the sexy overly described female characters).

If you like "classic fantasy" I think you should give this a try!

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-20 13:42:54

At 9/20/20 01:03 PM, RainyG wrote: A Wizard of EarthSea by Ursula le Guin

Check out her excellent short story "The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas" if you haven't read it before.

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-20 16:03:17

I will try to read all of the Harry Potter books

signature by jackho

BBS Signature

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-20 18:05:07

Just finished my third book of the year - Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikofsky. I enjoyed this more than Dune (previous book I read) and it has left me wanting to read the sequel, Children of Ruin, at some point although it's another 600+ pages.

Given that my last two books were both 600+ pages, I'm going to make a conscious effort to pick some shorter books next. Not to inflate my reading count, but because I've decided I want to try and step outside my comfort zone and move away from my usual sci-fi / fantasy picks. I figure picking shorter books should let me experience more variety.

Unsure what I'm going to start reading next. Might be The Picture of Dorian Gray unless something else takes my fancy. It's one of a pile of books I bought a while back but never got around to reading. Much prefer reading on the Kindle these days though.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-20 18:19:58

At 9/20/20 04:03 PM, Sirkaotik wrote: I will try to read all of the Harry Potter books

I like how declarative that statement is. It's honest yet strong in it's honesty. I wish you luck

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-20 20:27:53

39: The Lost World by Michael Crichton

Welp I've gone and passed my 2nd official goal with 3 months still to go in the year. I won't mess with @jackho's fancy counter thingy anymore so I don't think I'll increase my goal again. I'll just keep reading.

Lost World was a pretty good sequel although it tracked a bit too much with the first novel. Mysterious things are happening; everyone shows up at some tropical island for a weekend; dinosaurs eat people; they escape.

Not sure what I want to read next. Allie Brosh resurfaced after a long hiatus and has a new Hyperbole and a Half book coming out in a couple days. I'm excited for that.

At 9/20/20 06:05 PM, Dean wrote: Just finished my third book of the year - Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikofsky. I enjoyed this more than Dune (previous book I read) and it has left me wanting to read the sequel, Children of Ruin, at some point although it's another 600+ pages.

That was my favorite new sci fi series in the last few years. Children of Time just happened to be totally new and interesting to me - the view of the world through the spiders was great. If you enjoyed Children of Time you'll enjoy the sequel as well.

BBS Signature

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-24 20:55:46

40: Solutions and Other Problems by Allie Brosh

Just received this 500+ page book this afternoon. At like 4pm. And I'm already done (8:30pm). I cannot possibly undersell how great Allie Brosh's books are. Her blog, Hyperbole and a Half, has been in memes for a long time. She wrote an earlier book that was mostly a collection of her earlier comics. Solutions is all new material. It handles some really heavy stuff. I still had to stop reading to catch my breath while laughing at some points. She's been MIA from the internets since her last book came out. I was reasonably certain she fell off the planet at some point. This new book really hits you in the feels. It is tres good.

BBS Signature

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-28 09:12:10

Done reading these books:

81. Skeleton Crew, Stephen King, 896 pages

82. Die Hölle ist die Abwesenheit Gottes, Ted Chiang, 181 pages

83. Die Perle (The Pearl), John Steinbeck, 96 pages

84. Ich muss schreien und habe keinen Mund( I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream), Harlan Ellison, 672 pages

85. Kitchen, Banana Yoshimoto, 208 pages

Skeleton Crew:

Collection of 19 more or less short stories, with the most well known being "The Mist". Overall I enjoyed the book, although the quality of the stories varies.

Die Hölle ist die Abwesenheit Gottes:

No english book with the same content - this one contains the short stories "Tower of Babylon", "Story of Your Life", " Hell Is the Absence of God", "The Merchant and the Alchemist’s Gate" and "Exhalation".

Story of Your Life is about aliens visiting earth and scientists trying to learn their complex language (that aspect kind of reminded me of Children of Time), The Merchant and the Alchemist’s Gate is about a merchant, who managed to build a portal that can send you either 20 year into the future or past, however, the future and past cannot be altered. The story details how three people went through the portal and what events unfolded for them.

Very good book. I am once again impressed by how creative the stories by Ted Chiang are.

The Pearl:

Kino, a poor fisherman, lives in a small village with his wife Juana and their son Coyotito. Despite their poverty, the live in relative harmony until a catastrophe strikes: the young son gets stung by a scorpion. Juana manages to quickly remove most of the poison but it's unclear if Coyotito can survive. Kino and Juana, despite knowing that they can't afford to pay the treatment, seek out help from the villages doctor, who is known for watching poor people as being beneath him. The inevitable happens and the doctor doesn't help - thankfully Coyotito seems to be doing well regardless.

After that, Kino finds the biggest pearl on earth. The sudden prospect of wealth makes the family happy but soon enough envy and attempts of stealing the pearl or severly underpaying for it sour Kino's spirits. Things become critical when he kill a robber in self defence and has to flee with his wife and child into the mountains. Will Kino keep clutching the cursed pearl and lose everything or count his losses and get rid of it?

Good book.

Ich muss schreien und habe keinen Mund:

Collection of basically all short stories by Harlan Ellison that have been translated to german. I Have No Mouth & I Must Scream shares a few of them but this one has way more stories:

"Repent, Harlequin", "The Prowler in the City at the Edge of the World", "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream", "Pretty Maggie Moneyeyes", "The Beast That Shouted Love at the Heart of the World", "A Boy and his Dog", "Adrift Just Off the Islets of Langerhans: Latitude 38° 54’ N, Longitude 77° 00’ 13’’ W", "The Whimper of Whipped Dogs", "The Deathbird", "I’m looking for Kadak", "Croatoan", "Strange Wine", "Jeffty is Five", "How’s the Night Life on Cissalda?", "Count the Clock that Tells the Time", "Paladin of the Lost Hour", "Soft Monkey", "The Function of Dream Sleep", "The Man Who Rowed Christopher Columbus Ashore" and "Mefisto in Onyx".

All of these are atleast very good. Some of the stories reminded me of Philip K. Dick, some of Hyperion by Dan Simmons. I recommend seeking out whichever story collections by the author you can find.

Kitchen:

Mikage just lost her grandmother, her last relative. She has to move out and is invited by Yuichu and his mother Eriko, to move in with them for the time being. Yuichi also will have to deal with loss and grief. Mikage and Yuichi drift apart but after growing and allowing themselves happiness to re-emerge, their paths become one.

Also contains the story "Moonlight Shadow": Satsuki loses her boyfriend Hitoshi in a tragic accident. After that, she becomes friends with his brother Hiragi, who lost his girlfriend in the same accident. Both have to cope with the sudden loss. Satsuki meets the mysterious woman Urara, and together they witness the Tanabata - phenomenon, allowing Satsuki to have a peaceful last meeting with Hitoshi and move on.

Great book. Deals with themes like coping with loss and grief, what family truly means. What I like the most is the clear, sincere language that makes the characters seem both real and relatable.

iu_173383_3621830.jpg

Tuturu~ ♫

Without truth, there is no justice.

Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users

BBS Signature

At 9/28/20 09:12 AM, Asandir wrote: Story of Your Life is about aliens visiting earth and scientists trying to learn their complex language

This also got adapted into the excellent film Arrival. Although I totally reject the sapir-whorf theory it's based on, it's interesting for a story.

The Pearl:

I remember reading this in school. Didn't think much of it at the time.

Harlan Ellison

One of my favs, he has a really horror-edginess that's missing from most sci fi. Not only does modern sci fi not really have anything to compete, I don't think you'd even get away with publishing some of his stories today even though he taps into a lot of Truth re human nature.

I Have No Mouth got a point n click game adaptation in the 90s, featuring Harlan himself as the voice of AM and expanding the story into a much longer narrative where each character has to go through a moral test AM has designed based on their past.

A Boy and His Dog is notable for being one of the biggest influences behind Fallout, with the big underground vaults and all. Also an Evangelion episode named after The Beast That Shouted Love.

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-30 05:56:06

Fourth book finished - The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials 2)

This was actually an audiobook and the first audiobook I've tried. Mixed feelings. On the one hand it was a good way to get through a book while doing mundane tasks at the same time, on the other I feel like it was a lot easier to zone out and stop paying attention to what was going on.

As for The Subtle Knife itself, it was far less interesting than Northern Lights (the first book). Northern Lights was an unexpected surprise for me. It was a book I got for free, knew nothing about it and really enjoyed the YA adventure story in a strange world. The Subtle Knife felt like a big step backwards and just felt more "normal". It didn't have much at all of what I liked so much about the first book. It didn't live up to the adventure. It didn't have the page turning mystery element. It just felt a bit bland.

At some point I will be trying the third book. My local library has the audiobook available, so I'll probably listen to it, but it's about 16 hours long.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-30 09:53:48

At 9/20/20 04:03 PM, SirKaotik wrote: I will try to read all of the Harry Potter books

Update: I am currently half way through the first Harry Potter book

signature by jackho

BBS Signature

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-30 15:50:27

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-30 16:07:48

At 9/30/20 05:56 AM, Dean wrote: Fourth book finished - The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials 2)

This was actually an audiobook and the first audiobook I've tried. Mixed feelings. On the one hand it was a good way to get through a book while doing mundane tasks at the same time, on the other I feel like it was a lot easier to zone out and stop paying attention to what was going on.

As for The Subtle Knife itself, it was far less interesting than Northern Lights (the first book). Northern Lights was an unexpected surprise for me. It was a book I got for free, knew nothing about it and really enjoyed the YA adventure story in a strange world. The Subtle Knife felt like a big step backwards and just felt more "normal". It didn't have much at all of what I liked so much about the first book. It didn't live up to the adventure. It didn't have the page turning mystery element. It just felt a bit bland.

At some point I will be trying the third book. My local library has the audiobook available, so I'll probably listen to it, but it's about 16 hours long.

I felt the same way. The Subtle Knife isn't a bad book at all, but the tone is so much different from the first book. The third book also doesn't go back to the first book, but it's still worth reading.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-30 22:08:47

I'm halfway through Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer. Which i am pleasantly surprised is written much better than the previous books. It's still the typical YA mushy plot so I can't really be too critical

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-30 22:17:48

At 9/30/20 04:07 PM, Haggard wrote:
At 9/30/20 05:56 AM, Dean wrote: Fourth book finished - The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials 2)
I felt the same way. The Subtle Knife isn't a bad book at all, but the tone is so much different from the first book. The third book also doesn't go back to the first book, but it's still worth reading.

I also found the first book the strongest in the series and was a little disappointed by the 2nd and 3rd having a different tone. Definitely would have liked to see a stronger connection in tone and pace in the sequels but that's not to say they were bad. Overall I enjoyed all 3.

Audio books are growing on me but I've found I can only focus on them while in the car. When I get home it's back to reading on the kindle. Having a 45min each way commute definitely helps me blast through books. I'm 85% through Andromeda Strain right now and I haven't been reading it at home at night as much because I keep returning to Allie Brosh's 2 books on my bookshelf and her blog hyperbole in a half. I forgot some of her stories and goddamn that girl is funny.

I'll update my reading list for September tomorrow. I'll probably finish Andromeda Strain tonight before bed.

BBS Signature

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-09-30 23:04:14

At 9/17/20 08:29 PM, TopazAzul wrote: 23) Variety of Online Articles and a couple of print here and there.

Like the title suggests, a variety of online and print articles were read. The majority of which revolving around network marketing and troubleshooting.

Just started reading but will be finished by either the 18th or 19th. Once done, I will leave a review.

Finished Business Basics Bootcamp. Not entirely sure what to say exactly. Most of what I'm seeing was read about from other sources. While the information therein will be helpful to some, it really isn't recommended for those who have the basics down.

At 9/30/20 11:04 PM, TopazAzul wrote:
At 9/17/20 08:29 PM, TopazAzul wrote: 23) Variety of Online Articles and a couple of print here and there.

Finished Business Basics Bootcamp. Not entirely sure what to say exactly. Most of what I'm seeing was read about from other sources. While the information therein will be helpful to some, it really isn't recommended for those who have the basics down.

I would love an edit button (which appeared out of nowhere on this post after publishing). Anyway...

25) SnK/AoT articles

While planning out Inktober 2020 prompts, I went to do a quick search on a phrase that was mentioned at the beginning of the SnK series. I haven't kept up with it since the ocean reveal several years ago and wasn't aware that the manga was still in the works and scheduled to conclude by year's end. What started as a quick search turned into hours of reading.

From Wikipedia to Fandom Wiki to CrunchyRoll to a strange Top 10 list that came out of nowhere along with some non-CrunchyRoll forum postings. I know there was some progression since the ocean reveal but darn!

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-10-01 00:27:13

At 9/30/20 03:50 PM, Jackho wrote: If anyone else has updates for September it's time to stick 'em where they belong.

I'm working through Irving Fishers Theory of Interest, it's 500 pages but I should be able to finish it by the end of October

BBS Signature

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-10-01 01:18:04

19. The Ketamine Papers edited by Phil Wolfson and 

Glenn Hartelius

20. R.L. Stine's Ghosts of Fear Street - Hide and Shriek

I was coasting off the books i finished before the ketamine papers book which i had started awhile ago and got into it. its a book that cites scientific studies and at times i was slowed by making myself read through the end of chapter fucking bibliography / cited papers list but im glad i did it because its more interesting and involved in the long run. this was almost a lot closer to a text book than the usual shit i read so im really happy i got thru it.

right now pretty slowly and sporadically chipping thru other more dense text books. really need to put in more time and enjoy the strain of focusing to go a bit faster while still concentrating and understanding.....

goosebumps one is from like 1995ish , rushed to finish it because i forgot i finished the other one right at the beginning of the month,, ... im finding them useful but its odd to see the contrast of what im reading go from shorter books to just attempts at text book completion paired with kids books to stay loose. probably wont out do last year at this right by much

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-10-03 00:20:24

Oop. I didn't finish Andromeda Strain until Thursday so I guess it'll get plopped into October.

just 3 this month.

January (4)

1: Children of Ruin by Adrian Tchaikovsky

2: Welcome to the Occupied States of America (First Contact) by Peter Cawdron

3: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

4: The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien

February (5)

5: The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien

6: The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien

7: The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien

8: Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein

9: Storm Front by Jim Butcher

March (5)

10: Fool Moon by Jim Butcher

11: Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie

12: Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie

13: Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie

14: Provenance by Ann Leckie

April (6)

15: Maelstrom by Peter Cawdron

16: The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick

17: The God Engines by John Scalzi

18: The Accidental President: Harry S. Truman and the Four Months That Changed the World by A.J. Baime

19: The Last Emperox by John Scalzi

20: The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

May (4)

21: Forever Free by Joe Haldeman

22: Homeland by R.A. Salvatore

23: Exile by R.A. Salvatore

24: Sojourn by R.A. Salvatore

June (4)

25: Neuromancer by William Gibson

26: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins

27: The Crystal Shard by R.A. Salvatore

28: Streams of Silver by R.A. Salvatore

July (4)

29: The Halfling's Gem by R.A. Salvatore

30: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

31: The Sandman Audible by Neil Gaiman

32: Axiom's End by Lindsay Ellis

August (5)

33: Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

34: Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

35: Specials by Scott Westerfeld

36: Extras by Scott Westerfeld

37: Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown

September (3)

38: Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

39: The Lost World by Michael Crichton

40: Solutions and Other Problems by Allie Brosh

BBS Signature

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-10-03 07:06:13

No update from me this month. I am still busy reading Dune, having finished almost the second book out of three (but I don't count them as "single books", because I just don't feel like the story should be divded into "3 books"). It's been a long time since I last read it, and it's amazing how much I already have forgotten over time.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to ♚ Reading Challenge 2020 ♚ 2020-10-03 07:07:19

At 10/3/20 07:06 AM, Haggard wrote: No update from me this month. I am still busy reading Dune, having finished almost the second book out of three (but I don't count them as "single books", because I just don't feel like the story should be divded into "3 books"). It's been a long time since I last read it, and it's amazing how much I already have forgotten over time.

Second book out of three? There are far more.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature