00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

eZee just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What do you guys use for animating?

3,353 Views | 51 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I want to get into animation but I have no idea what program I should use. I have Macromedia Flash 8 right now but I'm just wondering if there's anything that's more high-quality or whatever. Thank you!

BBS Signature

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2019-11-23 15:30:50

Pencils and tracing paper, then I ink and color it with Krita.

RedSnake's the name, out of character and gae is the game.

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2019-11-23 23:37:10

i use flipaclip on my phone which is a free and surprisingly high quality and easy to use app despite everyone jokingly saying its trash.

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2019-11-24 09:07:12

At 11/23/19 10:53 AM, DavidCassidy wrote: I want to get into animation but I have no idea what program I should use. I have Macromedia Flash 8 right now but I'm just wondering if there's anything that's more high-quality or whatever. Thank you!

I mostly use Flash CS3 cause it's the most stable but if you want something more simple then use Krita or FireAlpaca but if you're already used to Flash 8 then it's good too

BBS Signature

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2019-11-24 18:14:31

macromedia flash 8 for 2d animation

if im doing stop motion, what i used to use was a DSi

now for stop motion, i use a phone camera and wondershare filmora video editor

Notorious internet cunt

My old username was StaticSkull

She/Her

BBS Signature

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2019-11-25 02:14:37

2D: Flash CC. Although, I hear ToonBoom's pretty popular as well.

3D: Blender. It's got a hard learning curve but hey it's free and surprisingly high quality! I'd also recommend Maya but it's pretty dang expensive.

Stop-Motion: Dragonframe. Stop-Motion's an interesting exception in animation, if you have anything that takes nice pictures and something to stabilize it, you're good to go.

At 11/23/19 10:53 AM, ECarterSterling wrote: I want to get into animation but I have no idea what program I should use. I have Macromedia Flash 8 right now but I'm just wondering if there's anything that's more high-quality or whatever. Thank you!

Hi mate,

Flash 8 in combination with Flanimate Power Tools will be quite adequate for digital cutout animation even in 2019. Works well on Windows 10.

Flash CS3, CS5.5 and CS6 are also good releases, CS6 being the best performing and most stable of them all.

All later versions, i.e. Animate require you to pay monthly subscription and the software is in a state of perpetual beta - full of half-baked features and never ending new bugs. Performance is also much worse, compared to CS6 or Flash 8.

Good luck!

Member of Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for Flash character animation

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2019-11-25 10:36:05

At 11/23/19 11:37 PM, RainzzSplash wrote: i use flipaclip on my phone which is a free and surprisingly high quality and easy to use app despite everyone jokingly saying its trash.

Cool, I`,m try!

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2019-11-25 10:46:20

Honestly surprised this doesn't have a sticky post with suggested links considering there's an animation forum and how often it gets asked. I wrote a blog post in 2012 that's still fairly accurate. I use Toon Boom Harmony since I feel it has the best drawing tools, adapts for various work flows, and they listen to users. The development of Blender's Grease Pencil really makes me want to try it. I keep meaning to check out how OpenToonz has changed since it's launch but never have the time. CACANi looks very powerful.

Got an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil a while back to try being more portable. Clip Studio Paint is probably the best to work in, though the iOS app has a yearly subscription fee. I've seen some good stuff done in RoughAnimator. There's always Animation Desk and Animatic, too.

I've been tinkering with building an HTML5 site for my animations. WickEditor is fun to play with for that. Looking into Hippani Animator, too. Animatron has great tools but they keep rolling back features for being buggy. (They used to have a Bone Tool, all the interactivity has been stripped down to basic banner ad tracking/opening new windows, which kind of defeats the purpose of using HTML5 if it's just going to play in a box.) Alan Becker made a pretty good video about Flash alternatives.

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2019-11-25 18:09:05

At 11/23/19 10:53 AM, ECarterSterling wrote: I want to get into animation but I have no idea what program I should use. I have Macromedia Flash 8 right now but I'm just wondering if there's anything that's more high-quality or whatever. Thank you!

I switched from macromedia flash 8 after using it for a year plus, to toon boom Harmony essentials.

I love toon boom because I very rarely experience little to no crashes at all. Also the brush is amazing compared to flash.

TV. Paint is another cheaper and looks really nice.

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2019-12-17 21:00:49

adobe lightroom and photoshop.

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2020-01-08 15:58:42

I picked up a cheap copy of Anime Studio Pro 11.. The newer versions are call Moho... There is a learning curve, but it works fine for frame by frame and character puppet rigs (I use a combination of both). It does however lack in audio and video editing, so I use a paid version of VSDC video editing software. I have gotten really used to my system and total cost even with a drawing tablet (Huion) I think I have only spent around $150 total

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2020-01-11 05:35:55

Photoshop, TVPaint, and After Effects mainly. ToonBoom Harmony is the bomb but it's subscription. Will have to check out Krita.

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2020-01-17 17:08:04

Animation desk. Fun, simple, and easy to use. I edit the music in with KineMaster and use the music downloaded on my phone. KineMaster is also pretty easy to use.

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2020-02-04 19:42:10

I use Macromedia Flash MX 2004. It's adobe animate but a little bit older haha. It's free too! I've been thinking of upgrading to Adobe Animate CC though.

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2020-02-13 14:39:32

Krita then Open Toonz for the 2D Art and Animation.

Then Blender for the fancy 3D.

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2020-02-23 06:56:17

Thank you everyone for your kind suggestions! I think I'll just stick with Flash 8 for now to get the hang of it since I already have it and then once I learn more I may move to a more current version.

BBS Signature

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2020-04-18 09:59:26

Adobe Animate is my program and currently I use my mouse for it.

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2020-05-02 10:18:27

Animate, Photoshop, and After Effects.

Monthly animations, sketchbook tours, and weekly art streams.

BBS Signature

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2020-05-02 15:34:54

At 4/18/20 09:59 AM, zerobattle55 wrote: Adobe Animate is my program and currently I use my mouse for it.

I have an old version of Flash I use and as well I use mouse. I can't really draw so I doubt a tablet would help me much.

At 5/2/20 03:34 PM, Swabs wrote: I have an old version of Flash I use and as well I use mouse. I can't really draw so I doubt a tablet would help me much.

A tablet helps even if you don't draw. Tablets are way more ergonomic and precise than a mouse for nearly everything that you do in Flash. It's faster to move around the workspace and more intuitive to operate, and is much less damaging to your wrist/arm, because of the natural angle at which you hold the pen vs. even the best mouse.

Member of Flanimate Power Tools team - extensions for Flash character animation

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2020-05-03 06:52:44

At 5/2/20 03:34 PM, Swabs wrote:
At 4/18/20 09:59 AM, zerobattle55 wrote: Adobe Animate is my program and currently I use my mouse for it.
I have an old version of Flash I use and as well I use mouse. I can't really draw so I doubt a tablet would help me much.

Yeah, and it depends what you animate, i animate madness combat and can't draw so i only use my mouse.

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2020-05-03 07:20:56

At 5/2/20 11:01 PM, ntilcheff wrote:
At 5/2/20 03:34 PM, Swabs wrote: I have an old version of Flash I use and as well I use mouse. I can't really draw so I doubt a tablet would help me much.
A tablet helps even if you don't draw. Tablets are way more ergonomic and precise than a mouse for nearly everything that you do in Flash. It's faster to move around the workspace and more intuitive to operate, and is much less damaging to your wrist/arm, because of the natural angle at which you hold the pen vs. even the best mouse.

Yeah, make sense. I have been looking into a cheap drawing tablet, I'm about to be moving so I'll have to wait till after then. Any recommendations?

At 5/3/20 06:52 AM, zerobattle55 wrote:
At 5/2/20 03:34 PM, Swabs wrote:
Yeah, and it depends what you animate, i animate madness combat and can't draw so i only use my mouse.

Right now it just has been stickfigure animations, trying to get the basics movements down and that is all I can really draw at the moment.

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2020-05-03 11:04:40

me to

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2020-05-06 10:54:58

I used Animate for a couple years, but I switched over the Clip Studio Paint last year.

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2020-05-07 05:17:44

At 5/6/20 10:54 AM, alexgoodwin94 wrote: I used Animate for a couple years, but I switched over the Clip Studio Paint last year.

Is it that better than Animate CC?

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2020-05-07 08:56:15

At 5/7/20 05:17 AM, Swabs wrote:
At 5/6/20 10:54 AM, alexgoodwin94 wrote: I used Animate for a couple years, but I switched over the Clip Studio Paint last year.

It took a little getting used to, but I personally like it more than Animate. Bear in mind that I haven't used Animate in awhile, so I don't know what's changed in any of the updates.

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2020-05-07 10:13:18

At 5/7/20 08:56 AM, alexgoodwin94 wrote:
It took a little getting used to, but I personally like it more than Animate. Bear in mind that I haven't used Animate in awhile, so I don't know what's changed in any of the updates.

Oh okay, I’m working with Flash 8 still, thought about going to Animate but I don’t want that monthly payment.

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2020-05-07 10:30:43

At 5/7/20 10:13 AM, Swabs wrote:
Oh okay, I’m working with Flash 8 still, thought about going to Animate but I don’t want that monthly payment.

In that case, I would recommend trying Csp EX (the ex version is more geared to animating). It's a one-time payment and has nicer drawing tools than what I remember in Animate. It goes on sale a lot, so you may want to check it out around July 4th or during the holidays.

Response to What do you guys use for animating? 2020-05-07 10:34:38

At 5/7/20 10:30 AM, alexgoodwin94 wrote:
At 5/7/20 10:13 AM, Swabs wrote:
In that case, I would recommend trying Csp EX (the ex version is more geared to animating). It's a one-time payment and has nicer drawing tools than what I remember in Animate. It goes on sale a lot, so you may want to check it out around July 4th or during the holidays.

Okay will do, thanks for the information!