00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

AlsoTlant just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My first experience playing piano

747 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The keys have equally increasing and visible lengths from eachother. The longer your fingers are, the farther you can space out your chords, which for this reason, long fingers are called musical gifts. The easiest is scale was C major.

Most piano players play a bunch of notes at the same time but after sound has begun with the first notes (trills), they rapidly play the next ones in order of the fingers left or right, instead of hitting all the keys at the same exact time to make one big sound. (Which is the difficult and admired thing.) If you want to make classical, and you want to make chords that sound good while playing all the keys at the same exact time, to make big chords, in any scale, space out your chord, from my experience it sounded good. Both hands can be next to each other on the piano as long as the fingers are spaced out on the keys, and it will usually sound great, especially if you try the easiest scale. I came to these conclusions from remembering my first time playing piano. It sounded like a dying cow for 10 minutes, but then I spaced out my fingers and played a c chord, notes c,g,e, only a few keys apart from eachother, still sounded like a dying cow, then I spaced my small fingers even further and played one big 10 note chord in the center of the piano... for a moment I sounded okay.

I wasn't exactly Rachmaninoff in his famous thing, but still...

"If you don't stand up for yourself... everyone will walk all over you." -Donald Trump

BBS Signature

Response to My first experience playing piano 2019-09-08 13:51:58

"If you don't stand up for yourself... everyone will walk all over you." -Donald Trump

BBS Signature

Response to My first experience playing piano 2019-09-09 16:53:22

First for everything, and everyone. If you don't try you'll never know

Response to My first experience playing piano 2019-09-10 18:01:57

Keep discovering. You never know what you'll find in your experiments. Soon you'll be piecing together the things that sound good.

I begin my formal training on drums tomorrow, so I will be going through a similar experience perhaps. But you'll get there. If you want to play what you compose, you'll get there. If you want to take it much further than that, you'll get there. Just persist.

At 9/18/19 03:51 PM, Wookums wrote: I know why spaced out chords sound better. It's all about the audio spectrum. Multiple sounds close to the same frequency are harder to distinguish from each other. When you can fill the audio spectrum with fewer sounds, it's generally richer and more pleasing to the ear. If you ever go beyond solo instrument songs and start putting more structure in your pieces, you'll soon be able to experience for yourself and better understand exactly what I'm saying.

@Troisnyx

@Nekomika

@Chronomut

I thought you guys would like to read this and comment on it.

@Wookums

Does that go only for music made using instuments, eg: Piano, Violin, Harp, or for electronic music as well, such as edm, and other heavily digitalized music?

Also. Post of the year award goes to Wookums.

BBS Signature

Response to My first experience playing piano 2019-09-19 18:06:38

: @Chronomut

Crap. Used your old nickname

If I edit it won't ping.

@IoTheEternal

BBS Signature

Response to My first experience playing piano 2019-09-20 02:06:28

At 9/19/19 09:06 PM, Wookums wrote:
At 9/19/19 06:05 PM, Belthagor wrote:
At 9/18/19 03:51 PM, Wookums wrote: I know why spaced out chords sound better. It's all about the audio spectrum. Multiple sounds close to the same frequency are harder to distinguish from each other. When you can fill the audio spectrum with fewer sounds, it's generally richer and more pleasing to the ear. If you ever go beyond solo instrument songs and start putting more structure in your pieces, you'll soon be able to experience for yourself and better understand exactly what I'm saying.
Does that go only for music made using instuments, eg: Piano, Violin, Harp, or for electronic music as well, such as edm, and other heavily digitalized music?
It applies to all music, including songs with vocals. The audio spectrum doesn't discriminate between any specific types of sounds.

I don't know about you but as a pianist myself, I much prefer spaced out basslines and chords that hover an octave above (so RH around middle C, LH on the two C's below it). But that's pop piano for you I guess~