00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Remfy just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Accidental vote 2019-06-05 10:00:40

I always accidentally vote on some arts and other on mobile NG because shitty engine. Now i accidentally rated my own audio, maybe some admins can delete my vote? thanks.

Response to Accidental vote 2019-06-05 10:46:22

At 6/5/19 10:00 AM, svakill wrote: I always accidentally vote on some arts and other on mobile NG because shitty engine. Now i accidentally rated my own audio, maybe some admins can delete my vote? thanks.

There's no way to delete your vote, but you can change the score of your vote.

In all honesty most people actually vote 5 on their own submission so you voting on your audio isn't a big deal, it's almost expected.

Response to Accidental vote 2019-06-05 10:59:41

At 6/5/19 10:46 AM, Fro wrote:
At 6/5/19 10:00 AM, svakill wrote: I always accidentally vote on some arts and other on mobile NG because shitty engine. Now i accidentally rated my own audio, maybe some admins can delete my vote? thanks.

In all honesty most people actually vote 5 on their own submission so you voting on your audio isn't a big deal, it's almost expected.

I dont want to vote on my submission. This vote policy is just meh and should be changed, or fix mobile newgrounds at least.

Response to Accidental vote 2019-06-05 11:07:01

At 6/5/19 10:59 AM, svakill wrote:

I dont want to vote on my submission. This vote policy is just meh and should be changed, or fix mobile newgrounds at least.

Sorry, but I don't see where it's a big deal.

What about the policy do you want fixed? Do you think you shouldn't be able to vote on your own stuff? I can agree with that, but don't see it as a glaring issue. One vote out of the hundreds that you can receive will get washed out in the average.

Or were you saying you should be able to change it to take back your vote? What's the point in that for the same reason above? Again, I guess it could be implemented, but I don't see why it's a big deal.

I also have never accidentally voted on anything on newgrounds so I don't really think it's a common problem. In fact, the voting section is so obvious that it would be hard to even accidentally click it. I get that it could happen though.

What's wrong on mobile? I use newgrounds on mobile and think it works perfectly fine. What do you think needs fixed about it? Comments like mobile should be fixed aren't very helpful if you don't say what's wrong.

Response to Accidental vote 2019-06-05 11:11:27

At 6/5/19 11:07 AM, Fro wrote:
At 6/5/19 10:59 AM, svakill wrote:

Sorry, but I don't see where it's a big deal.

What about the policy do you want fixed? Do you think you shouldn't be able to vote on your own stuff? I can agree with that, but don't see it as a glaring issue. One vote out of the hundreds that you can receive will get washed out in the average.

Or were you saying you should be able to change it to take back your vote? What's the point in that for the same reason above? Again, I guess it could be implemented, but I don't see why it's a big deal.

I also have never accidentally voted on anything on newgrounds so I don't really think it's a common problem. In fact, the voting section is so obvious that it would be hard to even accidentally click it. I get that it could happen though.

What's wrong on mobile? I use newgrounds on mobile and think it works perfectly fine. What do you think needs fixed about it? Comments like mobile should be fixed aren't very helpful if you don't say what's wrong.

Its a common problem, there was already same thread some time ago. Yes, option of taking back the vote or confirmation of vote would be good.

About mobile version - its very easy to do a vote by an accident, because its voting when you just touched it while scrolling.

Response to Accidental vote 2019-06-05 11:23:36

At 6/5/19 11:11 AM, svakill wrote:

Its a common problem, there was already same thread some time ago. Yes, option of taking back the vote or confirmation of vote would be good.

Just because a couple of people have the problem doesn't mean that it's common. Two out of thousands and thousands of users seems pretty rare to me.

About mobile version - its very easy to do a vote by an accident, because its voting when you just touched it while scrolling.

I just don't see what it matters if you accidentally vote or not. It doesn't matter in the long run and nobody can see that you voted on it. Whether you wanted to or not doesn't even matter to me. I guess I can't figure out why it would matter to anyone else.

I use newgrounds almost completely only on mobile and haven't had a problem before so I guess it's to each their own.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to implement a confirmation button, but I rather enjoy not having to click twice to vote on a submission.

At the end of the day I'm not here to argue. I've answered your question, there's no way to remove your vote, but you can change the score of your vote if you'd like.

Response to Accidental vote 2019-06-05 11:45:08

Just because a couple of people have the problem doesn't mean that it's common. Two out of thousands and thousands of users seems pretty rare to me.

But its an issue, thats the point.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to implement a confirmation button

Yes, itll be ok. It can be like a setting which is may be turned on and back.

Response to Accidental vote 2019-06-05 13:34:06

At 6/5/19 11:45 AM, svakill wrote:
But its an issue, thats the point.

I think you are missing his point. It's not a big a deal in the grand scheme of things. this is like pouring a bottle of water in the ocean. Waste of water? maybe, but something that isn't worth your time over.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to implement a confirmation button
Yes, itll be ok. It can be like a setting which is may be turned on and back.

Possibly? Maybe? Just admins rather spend time on other stuff.

In any event, if you don't think your work is worth a 5, who will anyway? If it bothers you just that much, feel free to unpublish it and reupload.

NG Review Moderator // Pm me for Review Abuse

BBS Signature

Response to Accidental vote 2019-06-05 13:53:37

At 6/5/19 11:23 AM, Fro wrote: Just because a couple of people have the problem doesn't mean that it's common. Two out of thousands and thousands of users seems pretty rare to me.

I use newgrounds almost completely only on mobile and haven't had a problem before so I guess it's to each their own.

Not all mobile devices are the same.

Just because you haven’t personally experienced it and only a couple of people have complained doesn’t make it rare.

What is rare is the number of times I’ve browsed any portal while logged in and yet the ‘accidental vote’ has happened to me.

The option to remove/clear a vote would be appreciated. 👍🏼

Response to Accidental vote 2019-06-05 14:27:27

At 6/5/19 01:53 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 6/5/19 11:23 AM, Fro wrote: Just because a couple of people have the problem doesn't mean that it's common. Two out of thousands and thousands of users seems pretty rare to me.

Not all mobile devices are the same.

Just because you haven’t personally experienced it and only a couple of people have complained doesn’t make it rare.
What is rare is the number of times I’ve browsed any portal while logged in and yet the ‘accidental vote’ has happened to me.

The option to remove/clear a vote would be appreciated. 👍🏼

And that's a problem? The fact that you voted when you didn't mean to? It does something negative that makes you go "NOOO! I wish I could unvote!"?

Why is kidray the only other person that doesn't think it's an issue if you accidentally vote on something. (I know he isn't, that the majority don't care, I'm just being dramatic) Why doesn't anyone give a good reason on why it's an actual issue. Am I just going crazy or is there no actual issue if you accidentally vote.

Please help me understand with a rationale of why it's an issue. I'm not saying that an option couldn't be added to clear a vote, that's fine. Just why does it matter?

Response to Accidental vote 2019-06-05 15:57:33

:And that's a problem? The fact that you voted when you didn't mean to? It does something negative that makes you go "NOOO! I wish I could unvote!"?

I experience pretty much similiar emotions.

Response to Accidental vote 2019-06-05 17:27:19

At 6/5/19 02:27 PM, Fro wrote:
At 6/5/19 11:23 AM, Fro wrote:

help me understand with a rationale of why it's an issue. I'm not saying that an option couldn't be added to clear a vote, that's fine. Just why does it matter?

I can't speak for the majority, however, this isn't the first thread addressing this matter, and most of the replies were similar. "Change the vote, won't matter in the long run that one single vote was changed."

While a feature where a person can confirm a vote or remove would be cool. Obviously not a huge priority.

NG Review Moderator // Pm me for Review Abuse

BBS Signature

Response to Accidental vote 2019-06-05 17:45:24 (edited 2019-06-05 17:47:46)

At 6/5/19 05:27 PM, kidray76 wrote:
At 6/5/19 02:27 PM, Fro wrote:
At 6/5/19 11:23 AM, Fro wrote:
help me understand with a rationale of why it's an issue. I'm not saying that an option couldn't be added to clear a vote, that's fine. Just why does it matter?

I can't speak for the majority, however, this isn't the first thread addressing this matter, and most of the replies were similar. "Change the vote, won't matter in the long run that one single vote was changed."

While a feature where a person can confirm a vote or remove would be cool. Obviously not a huge priority.

thats what im saying about!

Response to Accidental vote 2019-06-13 15:02:55 (edited 2019-06-13 15:03:21)

At 6/5/19 02:27 PM, Fro wrote: Please help me understand with a rationale of why it's an issue. I'm not saying that an option couldn't be added to clear a vote, that's fine. Just why does it matter?

Aye I'm on mobile do I can't really explain this well, but I've had this problem too and the reason why it personally bugs me is that it messes with browsing. Sometimes I need to pull up my art so that I can have a reference when I draw traditionally, but then it instead will hang on the vote bar instead of scrolling. It's not a big sitebreaking problem, just a bit of an annoying hassle.

But since this is a bug nonetheless, I still think it should be fixed. It wouldn't be too bad, I'd imagine something simple like disabling the vote bar when you scroll up or down would work well.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Accidental vote 2019-06-13 17:01:39

@Fro. Not going to lie, this is a big issue with the mobile site, by far.

I personally don't like to vote if I don't want to. So, I'll be scrolling and then the giant stars for voting will attach themselves to my finger instead of scrolling through the page.

Next thing you know, I'm forced to vote on a submisslion that has 11 votes since my score literally changes the score of the submission by .6 or 1.2 or other significant numbers. I don't want to have to make that decision on something I'm not even interested in. (Forces me to make a biased opinion.) Maybe not a big deal in the long run to users on the site, but could be a HUGE deal for creators who want constructive feedback.

Taking away votes? No. That should be a problem based on principle (you get blammed and accepted from votes, so what if someone takes away their vote? Should the submission still be blammed or passed? Maybe a timer for removing your vote before it becomes permanent) BUT! Having an additional confirmation box might be super super super helpful.

I get that Newgrounds wants to streamline the voting process, making it easier and more accessible for people to share their opinions at the drag of a star bar. If there is talk about being able to remove votes, then it should be timed (5 minutes, 2 minutes, etc..) or if there's talk about a confirmation box, then it should be a button below the stars that you click after selecting your score. If you don't press the button, then the vote doesn't count. (slows down the voting process and leaves room for people who vote but forget to confirm, but will help make votes more "meaningful")

Because people gain XP from voting, it'll be completely obvious if they don't "confirm" a vote since there wont be any exp awarded.

This is just what I think, since the mobile site has forced me to make decisions that I didn't want to have to make.

*xin laugh*

Response to Accidental vote 2019-06-13 22:17:18

Having the vote become "permanent" after 10ish seconds, allowing the user to back out if they wanted, seems like the most obvious route for me.

It'd be easy to use and would prevent discrepancies with people who want to take their vote away after too long of a period of time. The main issue here being that the initial vote is unwarranted, so an option to discard it right away is really all anybody needs.

So, after brainstorming, this is what I came up with:

iu_33358_1901976.png

As for having an additional confirmation, that might be a little too much since it would make voting require one extra step. Having a timer requires no additional step, just a security check that you're sure that you wanted to vote in the first place.

*shrug* it'd sure help me with scrolling through the mobile app.

(because, honestly, when I'm searching through art and the submission has 9 votes and I'm not interested in the piece, I really really don't want to be forced to make a decision by accident)

*xin laugh*

Response to Accidental vote 2019-06-14 03:36:55

I’ve accidentally voted on stuff. As a consequence, I’ve had to give a genuine score to something.

If I didn’t vote on it accidentally, I wouldn’t vote on it at all.

The negative consequence to this is that I’m gaining XP even though I don’t really want to level up. This could be remedied by “unlocking” level icons and having it part of a selection, rather than letting the icon define my level.

I would prefer to encourage people to vote genuinely rather than provide a design option to nullify their vote. Submissions need votes, as they are an indicator that the submission has been appreciated (either positively or negatively) rather than glossed over.

You don’t have to vote 5 on your own stuff. You can still give it an honest score in your eyes.

BBS Signature

Response to Accidental vote 2019-06-14 10:35:28

I guess it's more of a problem than I had thought, but I still can't reproduce it. It must seriously be a big combination of phone and user error because I sat here for over 20 minutes straight randomly scrolling and pushing my screen trying to "accidentally" push on a vote and I just simply couldn't. It wasn't until I stopped, zoomed in so the only thing that on the screen was the voting stars was I able to hit one and it still took a quite a few swipes. Hopefully you guys aren't using toasters or iphones to do your swiping, that would make more sense if you were though.

I know I would vote less if I had to confirm my vote because I love the simple one step process for voting, but if there was a system to remove your own vote I would be ok with that.

Response to Accidental vote 2020-01-02 04:01:52

Just a reminder that it's still not fixed and annoying as hell.

Response to Accidental vote 2020-07-25 12:33:16

I have that same problem.