00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GrawlixMan just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Things that make me Happy

8,027 Views | 57 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-17 09:36:32

Any day on NG makes me happy. :)

I'd nudge people like a maniac on those places too but I'm really only looking at that kind of stuff via NG these days so... should I spend more time elsewhere as to get other people to spend more time here...? Hmm. Priorities. Would be so much easier if everyone was just here and there was no need to meddle with those less ideal platforms.

At 3/15/19 04:19 PM, Fro wrote: Something that I would love to see in the future is the ability to search audio in the newgrounds portal my license type. Sometimes it can be a pain to look for music that you can use in a project, but if we could narrow down our searches with this filter it would make it a world easier.

Would love to see this too. I remember feeling like it was pretty easy to find audio back in the day, but now it almost seems like the standard's changed from regular CC to 'please contact if you want to use'. And a lot of authors aren't reached so easily. Looking forward to this becoming a feature!

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-17 09:37:20

At 3/16/19 09:08 PM, squidly wrote: NG is my home more than anything, I'd post more Renaine updates here but it's actually the 14 day limit on FP updates that's sorta holding it back. It's hard because I wanna post all the "little things" we do like I do on Twitter, but I dunno where to actually post that here :x

Maybe just regular newsposts, outside the FP ones? With that fanbase I'm sure some people will still stumble upon them. ;) Or maybe that 'secret message' thing hmm, it's like an exclusive, more underground somewhat limited Twitter alternative...

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-17 11:19:37

Thank you for sharing this with us Tom!

I may visit YouTube, just of entertainment, but I have no interest in uploading anything there, I love posting to NG much more, then I do anywhere else.

This site is like a home to me, and the community is much like family. Even in my two-or-so years of being on this site, I feel a very deep connection to it, it feels like I’ve been apart of the site for way longer then I have been, and that feels amazing knowing that, because it’s shows how much I adore this site, and why I would pick it over any other website.

Newgrounds: Everything by Everyone, and the Problems of the Future, Today.

Long love the king

I KNOW what makes you happy Tom Fulp - THIS made you happy AND it used excellant Audio Portal music: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/377906

I always use Audio Portal Music- its the best!

We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-18 05:24:31

At 3/15/19 07:01 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/15/19 04:19 PM, Fro wrote: Something that I would love to see in the future is the ability to search audio in the newgrounds portal my license type. Sometimes it can be a pain to look for music that you can use in a project, but if we could narrow down our searches with this filter it would make it a world easier.
This definitely needs to be added as an advanced search option and ultimately an option while browsing the traditional listings once they are moved over to Elastic.

Is what you're asking for not already covered here under "licensing"?

iu_14061_784.jpg

At 3/18/19 05:24 AM, liljim wrote: Is what you're asking for not already covered here under "licensing"?

Ah it already exists! :D Assuming more users would find this if there were some direct links in the menu, but this'll definitely be useful.

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-18 09:15:17

At 3/17/19 09:03 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: I KNOW what makes you happy Tom Fulp - THIS made you happy AND it used excellant Audio Portal music: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/377906

lol I just watched this in the Newgrounds Player because that's how I watch all my Flash now.

iu_14088_1.jpg

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-18 09:26:09

At 3/18/19 09:15 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/17/19 09:03 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: I KNOW what makes you happy Tom Fulp - THIS made you happy AND it used excellant Audio Portal music: https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/377906

lol I just watched this in the Newgrounds Player because that's how I watch all my Flash now.

that just screams “2007 Flash quality” (And I don’t mind.)

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-18 10:12:56

At 3/18/19 05:24 AM, liljim wrote:
This definitely needs to be added as an advanced search option and ultimately an option while browsing the traditional listings once they are moved over to Elastic.

Nope that's it.

I guess I often forget about the advanced search because it doesn't show up until after you've searched for something. I never go that deep into the search because I'm use to the advance search option being located where the original search option is.

Now that I know it's there though that's extremely useful. There's people who quite often ask about it in the Wi/Ht forum that I've given wrong information to or have seen the wrong answer for so I should find time to find those threads and update them.

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-18 14:41:20

I didn't know that existed.....I'm so sad to see that now, but so happy that it exists!

I always try as much as I can to collaborate with artists on newgrounds, one of my biggest projects to date was solely made with the help of wonderful people from newgrounds. And I strive for collaborations.

Unfortunately my ignorance towards this tool made me a hard time finding an ambiance music that I needed for my last game jam, and after not being able to find a music where I should not "Please contact me if you would like to use this in a project. We can discuss the details." I had to go elsewhere as my gamejam was limited in time unfortunately.

It would be great to highlight this tool a bit better for users, but it might just be my ignorance once again. I've should have knew it.

Can't wait for my next jam and credits newgrounds artists! :D

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-18 15:19:26

You make ME happy Tom <3

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-18 17:25:45

Things that never fail to make me happy (even when a certain submission of mine gets downvoted to hell for accomplishing what it meant to) : Newgrounds. It's one of those rare places, on or offline, that always leaves me good vibes and hope about the strange wonderful people out there in the world. Its time to be ludicrously huge will come again.

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-18 17:49:22

At 3/18/19 02:41 PM, Lezardpunk wrote:
I didn't know that existed.....I'm so sad to see that now, but so happy that it exists!
I always try as much as I can to collaborate with artists on newgrounds, one of my biggest projects to date was solely made with the help of wonderful people from newgrounds. And I strive for collaborations.
Unfortunately my ignorance towards this tool made me a hard time finding an ambiance music that I needed for my last game jam, and after not being able to find a music where I should not "Please contact me if you would like to use this in a project. We can discuss the details." I had to go elsewhere as my gamejam was limited in time unfortunately.
It would be great to highlight this tool a bit better for users, but it might just be my ignorance once again. I've should have knew it.

To be honest, I think it says more about how we're presenting these options to people than anything else (i.e. poorly). Once you start getting into the advanced options, you really can narrow your choices down and ideally I'd wanted to be able to bring all those options up easily somehow from the search bar itself from either desktop or mobile... but we never got around to cracking that nut.

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-19 09:01:53

At 3/18/19 05:49 PM, liljim wrote: To be honest, I think it says more about how we're presenting these options to people than anything else (i.e. poorly). Once you start getting into the advanced options, you really can narrow your choices down and ideally I'd wanted to be able to bring all those options up easily somehow from the search bar itself from either desktop or mobile... but we never got around to cracking that nut.

Hmm it'd be pretty cool if a 'search audio with a CC license' could pop up in the dropdown when you start typing, along with those other alternatives. Personally I'd find that a lot more useful than the autosuggest stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-19 13:41:54

At 3/18/19 05:49 PM, liljim wrote:
At 3/18/19 02:41 PM, Lezardpunk wrote:
To be honest, I think it says more about how we're presenting these options to people than anything else (i.e. poorly). Once you start getting into the advanced options, you really can narrow your choices down and ideally I'd wanted to be able to bring all those options up easily somehow from the search bar itself from either desktop or mobile... but we never got around to cracking that nut.

Search bar is always a touchy thing to work on so I can understand the difficulty to make things simple, clear, and informative at the same time.

As an example in opengameart.org when you search something in the search bar, on the left side of the screen, after the page refreshed they automatically add the options to narrow your search. It might not be sexy and user friendly but it does the job.

That being said, I never enjoyed researching something with the search bar on newgrounds, I would rather go directly to the categories because I was not aware I could actually narrow my search, that's why. I do use it to find artists rather than works from time to time.

After some tries, the avanced option to narrow your search works wonderfully and I might include it in my habit of researching things with it by now.

It's just a pitty I never paid attention to the fact I could click to "advanced". + It seems that it is integrated directly in the page when your search is done (javascript or ajax maybe) so if it does not need to refresh the page in order to see the advanced search, it could be well showed directly rather having to click.

Also, thank you for hearing the community, that is great and rare. Keep up the good work!

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-19 21:28:13

DO IT FOR TOM

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-20 12:41:51

I second this.

"I'm not dabbing on my haters, I'm hiding my tears."

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-20 13:31:59

I've always thought it would be neat for Newgrounds to have something like an Asset portal, or much better (and much more accessible) Collaboration portal. Like a place where work is displayed that creators specifically mark for collaboration (whether through the licensing choices or by a separate checkbox).

Being able to sort by license type is rad and useful. However, having a dedicated portal, perhaps featuring asset packs put together by several users or "most downloaded" art/music assets, etc., is not only useful, but inspiring. Could also be a place to more prominently display (or link to) the Creator Resources page.

Creating in a space where review and interaction is expected, inspiring creativity, being part of a wave with contemporary creators, artistic lineage - all this sort of stuff is the spirit of Newgrounds to me. It would be pretty sweet to see that materialized better.

(>'-')>

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-20 17:40:15

At 3/20/19 01:31 PM, Zhon wrote: I've always thought it would be neat for Newgrounds to have something like an Asset portal

This does sound pretty inspiring! Feels like a lot of the pieces for this are already there, just need to bring it all together somehow... the art, the audio; everything else. Maybe it's not as daunting a project as it seems.

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-20 19:01:19

At 3/20/19 05:40 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 3/20/19 01:31 PM, Zhon wrote: I've always thought it would be neat for Newgrounds to have something like an Asset portal
This does sound pretty inspiring! Feels like a lot of the pieces for this are already there, just need to bring it all together somehow... the art, the audio; everything else. Maybe it's not as daunting a project as it seems.

My thoughts exactly. And with things like site data for credited assets, it seems like "most popular" filters could involve use rather than downloads - like you said, lots of pieces.

(>'-')>

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-21 08:24:37

At 3/20/19 07:01 PM, Zhon wrote:
My thoughts exactly. And with things like site data for credited assets, it seems like "most popular" filters could involve use rather than downloads - like you said, lots of pieces.

The Audio Portal originally was gonna be for Sound FX too but too many people dumped stolen sounds there so we had to drop that - have always intended some sort of "Approved SFX Artist" depot though.

Similarly the Art Portal originally had asset categories like characters and backgrounds but no one ever really got on board with it... People thought backgrounds was for wallpapers and would categorize their desktop wallpapers there.

It all still has potential, just have to revisit in a way that doesn't cause confusion / stolen assets.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-21 11:40:44

the music thing, i didn't know about

one thing for sure, this is SUPER COOL!

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-21 14:29:27

I don't want to toot my own horn, and a lot of this work is outdated. But I've provided a lot of free art resources for game devs in the past. I still get emails about them, 12 years later in some cases! I've seen my art on steam, on mobile, everywhere. Making games is hard work, it's good we all help each other out. I always check the audio portal on NG first for my music. ALWAYS.

Free art --

https://hyptosis.newgrounds.com/news/post/1003792

https://opengameart.org/content/lots-of-hyptosis-tiles-organized

https://opengameart.org/content/lots-of-free-2d-tiles-and-sprites-by-hyptosis

https://opengameart.org/users/hyptosis

Have fun, take care folks! Keep making stuff!

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-21 22:49:43

At 3/21/19 08:24 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/20/19 07:01 PM, Zhon wrote:
The Audio Portal originally was gonna be for Sound FX too but too many people dumped stolen sounds there so we had to drop that - have always intended some sort of "Approved SFX Artist" depot though.

Similarly the Art Portal originally had asset categories like characters and backgrounds but no one ever really got on board with it... People thought backgrounds was for wallpapers and would categorize their desktop wallpapers there.

It all still has potential, just have to revisit in a way that doesn't cause confusion / stolen assets.

Is there much podcast material in the audio portal? Do people do that on NG?

At 3/21/19 10:49 PM, BoMToons wrote: Is there much podcast material in the audio portal? Do people do that on NG?

There's a whole genre for it y'know. ;)

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/browse/genre/podcasts

if you don't happen to mean material to be used IN podcasts... don't know about that.

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-22 14:21:49

At 3/22/19 09:11 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 3/21/19 10:49 PM, BoMToons wrote: Is there much podcast material in the audio portal? Do people do that on NG?
There's a whole genre for it y'know. ;)

https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/browse/genre/podcasts

if you don't happen to mean material to be used IN podcasts... don't know about that.

I was NOT aware! That's awesome!

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-03-22 14:48:05

At 3/22/19 02:21 PM, BoMToons wrote: I was NOT aware! That's awesome!

Indeed. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Things that make me Happy 2019-04-24 13:44:00