00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

JSkell95 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags!

12,431 Views | 60 Replies
Respond to this Topic

We’ve got a bunch of updates today!

Uploading Art

The Art upload form is now mobile friendly with a new thumbnail cropper and rich text editor.

The thumbnail cropper includes expanded support for animated gifs, so you can slide through individual frames and pick your favorite. Another slider is for zooming and you can slide your finger over the thumbnail preview itself to reposition the art. We’re also generating larger thumbnails for future layout updates.

The rich text editor is like the one in this forum, allowing you to add multiple images, video or sketchfab embeds, links, etc. This is a great place to share progress shots and alts of your primary art piece. You could also use this to create a multi-piece comic strip; simply add a bunch of images via the text editor and they will appear directly under your primary art on the view page.

NOTE: If you experience any bugs whatsoever, let us know! You can reply here or PM me.

Update: First time artists may have gotten stuck on the "I agree to the terms" checkbox; this is fixed now.

The new text editor will be useful but probably not the perfect solution for everyone looking to upload multiple art pieces under a single entry. Your primary art upload will be accessible as full quality and full resolution but follow-up art below it will be scaled and mildly compressed like in the forums. We’re exploring a system where you can upload a bunch of pieces and shuffle them around without a text editor involved, retaining the full quality and resolution of each image. That’s for a future update though; for now we want to see how things go with the existing tools.

Next plan for the Art Portal is defaulting to full art pieces in your feed, with the option to toggle back to thumbnails.

Tags in Blogs

When you make or edit a blog post, you’ll now see the option to include tags. These tags will appear at the bottom of your post and users can click them to explore blog posts or other content using the same tags.

Our tag data on the back-end went through a massive change this week, transferring tag data from individual portals into a global system. This has prepared us for some fun future updates. If you have any requests relating to tags, now's a good time to bring them up! We also will be making it more clear when you are performing a regular search or an advanced search based strictly on tags.

The form to make blog posts is still in the old layout and using the old text editor, neither of which is mobile friendly. Our next step here will migrate blog posting to the new layout with the new text editor, so it works on mobile and is consistent with the editor you see in the forums and art upload form.

If you like these updates, please consider becoming a supporter! Monthly and annual subscribers make a huge difference around here and NG gets a little stronger each year thanks to your ongoing support.

Pixel Day

Pixel Day is next week; Wednesday, January 23rd! If you make Pixel art, animation, games or chiptunes we would love to see you share something that day. If you know people who make this sort of stuff, encourage them to sign up and share something as well! We’d love for this to be the best day of the year for pixel aficionados, especially considering how gloomy the winter months can be. The promo art this year is by @moawling!

iu_2351_1.gif

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-16 12:39:12

nice

pico by Rovertarthead

listen to my music

BBS Signature

Great to hear! I'm eager to try out the multi-imaging the next time I post something to the art portal.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-16 13:03:45

Thanks Tom and team! Y'all da bomb.

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-16 13:17:56

At 1/16/19 01:09 PM, Gaycied wrote: Where's my data TOm?

I sold it to Mark Zuckerberg it's his data now.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-16 13:25:26

Always love new updates keep it coming

!

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-16 13:57:26

At 1/16/19 01:17 PM, TomFulp wrote:

Nice job on that gif it looks like SEPTA was that the inspiration? @TomFulp

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-16 13:58:46

Very nice, the new thumbnail preview works flawlessly with GIFs.

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-16 14:00:34

SWEET!!!!

No more have to make multiple submissions.

One step closer to true multiupload goodness, nice!

I think what I'll do with imagesets until

We’re exploring a system where you can upload a bunch of pieces and shuffle them around without a text editor involved, retaining the full quality and resolution of each image.

finally becomes a reality, is using the text editor for dumping previews and leaving a link to a Newgrounds File Dump archive file where everyone can find the full quality images. It's not perfect, but certainly better than uploading a bunch of individual files and making a Playlist out of them.

Good timing, too, with Twitter announcing they're gonna abolish uncompressed png imagesets in February.

P.S.

the image uploader currently says "drop file(s), or click here to upload", while only allowing one file as per usual. This may confuse artists only skimming the headline and expecting to be able to upload multiple images at once instead of using the text editor for additional images.

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-16 15:24:45

I'm not complaining but the tags feel like internet circa 2003 cuz theres a finite amount and an input box for each of them; I don't really mind though.

BBS Signature

At 1/16/19 03:24 PM, carbonlad wrote: I'm not complaining but the tags feel like internet circa 2003 cuz theres a finite amount and an input box for each of them; I don't really mind though.

This will be addressed when auto-suggest comes online.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-16 16:22:28

man I am so looking forward to an image-set update for the art portal. That's gonna be so useful

Animator and artist, the same one who draws robot tiddy.

I've got a webcomic, you should check it out

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-16 16:24:11

This is pretty cool! I'm not seeing that asterisk supposed to denote which fields are required though. Assuming there should be a couple of those here?

iu_2384_725545.png

The latest: Hexa #95 (Mar)

BBS Signature

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-16 16:29:57

At 1/16/19 12:39 PM, mae32 wrote: nice

It all nice and brand new.

At 1/16/19 12:45 PM, 9Hammer wrote: Great to hear! I'm eager to try out the multi-imaging the next time I post something to the art portal.

Go for it, and let us know what happens.

At 1/16/19 01:25 PM, Wegra wrote: Always love new updates keep it coming
!

They keep getting rolled out.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

At 1/16/19 04:24 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: This is pretty cool! I'm not seeing that asterisk supposed to denote which fields are required though. Assuming there should be a couple of those here?

It already notes above those field that it's required info and then has a divider for the optional info so we decided to clean it up a little there.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-16 16:58:59

At 1/16/19 01:17 PM, TomFulp wrote:

Tom wants to know your location.

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-16 17:36:10

YES! Glad to see that you're making efforts to make this site more artist friendly!

Though I do seem to be experiencing one hang-up. I tried to drag two files to upload and I got an error message. I tried to upload the two files individually and one image just swapped out the other. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

iu_2393_2281489.png

BBS Signature

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-16 17:39:58

At 1/16/19 05:36 PM, teckworks wrote: YES! Glad to see that you're making efforts to make this site more artist friendly!

Though I do seem to be experiencing one hang-up. I tried to drag two files to upload and I got an error message. I tried to upload the two files individually and one image just swapped out the other. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

This will likely cause confusion until that box can actually support multi-images itself - we need to make that text singular until then. At the moment that box is just for your primary art piece, which becomes the thumbnail. Down below in the commentary space you can drag in multiple images, add video embeds, etc. We might be adding some text down there to make it more clear, like this:

iu_2395_1.gif

BBS Signature

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-16 17:46:16

At 1/16/19 05:39 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/16/19 05:36 PM, teckworks wrote: YES! Glad to see that you're making efforts to make this site more artist friendly!

This will likely cause confusion until that box can actually support multi-images itself - we need to make that text singular until then. At the moment that box is just for your primary art piece, which becomes the thumbnail. Down below in the commentary space you can drag in multiple images, add video embeds, etc. We might be adding some text down there to make it more clear, like this:

Hah well...yep, ya got me. That certainly confused me. Thanks for clearin' that up.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-16 17:54:35

At 1/16/19 04:45 PM, TomFulp wrote: It already notes above those field that it's required info and then has a divider for the optional info so we decided to clean it up a little there.

Ah, got it, how did I miss that... might be a potentially confusing simplification when asterisks seem like an almost universal identifier for such fields. But it does look pretty smooth like this.

BBS Signature

At 1/16/19 01:57 PM, StatKing wrote: Nice job on that gif it looks like SEPTA was that the inspiration?

It probably was. lol

At 1/16/19 01:58 PM, solitonmedic wrote: Very nice, the new thumbnail preview works flawlessly with GIFs.

It does look great and with no issues.

At 1/16/19 02:00 PM, JoSilver wrote: SWEET!!!!

No more have to make multiple submissions.

It should save lots of time and trouble.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

At 1/16/19 02:28 PM, MarikBentusi wrote: Good timing, too, with Twitter announcing they're gonna abolish uncompressed png imagesets in February.

wait, really, why suddenly all the mayor social networks want to make newgrounds grow

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-17 03:44:03

Thanks! I love the feature. I will be using it regularly to share my art process.

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-17 05:08:03

At 1/17/19 02:25 AM, carso150 wrote: wait, really, why suddenly all the mayor social networks want to make newgrounds grow

It must be this air of benevolence and generosity just coursing through the air these days among all these social giants. :P

BBS Signature

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-17 07:04:50

Well nice updates. I hope that an old ability would be restored or recoded, to have the ability to move any news post in any order (but it will make it updated as well). I would also like to have the ability to disable user's reacts, 'hide' the news post with some settings (you can decide for users and guests see it the news posts or not). There's so much more I want to add, but I don't have any ideas at the moment.

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-17 07:28:13

At 1/17/19 02:25 AM, carso150 wrote:
At 1/16/19 02:28 PM, MarikBentusi wrote: Good timing, too, with Twitter announcing they're gonna abolish uncompressed png imagesets in February.
wait, really, why suddenly all the mayor social networks want to make newgrounds grow

According to Twitter it's about saving bandwidth and minimizing load times for users. I guess the tumblr refugees brought with them a huge bandwidth spike and Twitter isn't interested in becoming an art platform, unlike Newgrounds.

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-17 11:19:15

This is badass, can't wait to update my older 3D submissions with viewable 3D models!!

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-17 15:48:23

Awesome to see you updating so much stuff to make things easier for new users. I'm gonna put my trust in you and say you won't ruin anything trying to do stuff for them. I haven't been 'round the forums much lately, so the whole reaction thing is still jarring to me.

I'll be on the lookout for Pixel Day!

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Art Multi-Image and Blog Tags! 2019-01-17 18:28:47

yayyy I can be even lazier and have more fun now !!!

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg