00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Boycott Gillette

3,805 Views | 96 Replies

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-18 23:05:57

My brother boycotts it once I started. But he's only heard the news from me. So, why don't he go and do some research aye?

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-18 23:10:17

Calm down it's just an ad.

I turn water into water

BBS Signature

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-18 23:12:36

At 1/18/19 11:10 PM, Klaudesin wrote: Calm down it's just an ad.

A bad one.

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-18 23:47:40 (edited 2019-01-18 23:58:07)

At 1/15/19 10:43 PM, Garnet-Frost wrote:
At 1/15/19 10:39 PM, StatKing wrote:
At 1/15/19 10:27 PM, Garnet-Frost wrote:
At 1/15/19 09:23 PM, FIGMENTUM wrote:
At 1/15/19 08:51 PM, Zornuzkull wrote: since when did simpletons connect there entire identity to bathroom toiletries?
simpletons? probably always haha

I'm looking forward to the new razors gillette come out with, the ones developed in partnership with the most extreme feminists. I hear with every fifth stroke the razor will speak, offering sound advice for cultivating manhood in the right direction. things like "don't look women in the eye" and "remember to feel shame for being a man today" will really help keep the patriarchy in check.
Wouldn't be surprised if that will be Gillette's next commercial, but they'll try wash over it to make it seem "positive".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh7S5Wm1T-0
I actually like that commercial. It's actually a little more positive than Gillette's commercial because the dude is choosing for himself what he wants to be.

It's good you are a positive person and in an ideal world that would be the feel-good gist of it. However,we're talking about a mega corporation that at the end of the day cares more about money and is using hollow platitudes to "fool" people into thinking supporting them in some kind of heroic act when in actuality you're just buying friggin razors to shave with.

Other things I took issue with

-Guy in charge seems to be sticking up for the woman at the board-meeting whilst putting his hand on her shoulder to be reassuring. Obiviously I'm supposed to interpret this as "sexual harassment" and him man-splaining based on her crushed reaction but all I could think was "Wow,guy seems like a nice boss who is trying to stick up for one of his employees. Most people would LOVE to have a supervisor like that!

-Both boys wrestling were smiling. Why break them up for acting like boys? My friends and I acted like power rangers,ninja turtles, and mortal kombat characters yet noone died from it. Occasionally someone got a scraped knee or bruised elbow but none of us were the worst off for it overall. There's a difference between rough-housing and bullying.

-The one guy who expressed interest in the woman walking by did nothing wrong. He didn't holler at her or wolf whistle at her. He just smiled and tried walking up to her to start a conversation. The guy who cock-blocked him and said "Uncool bro" had no reason to do so. He was just being a self righteous jerk-off and if we looked deeper into the situation he was probably jealous and hindering his friend just so he could suavely "move in on her" later on.

-The kid crying being hugged by his mum was upset over "internet trash-talk". Fair enough, we all have our "Baby's first time online" period but frankly I rather be called a faggot or be thumbs downed on a forum when compared to getting my shoes stolen after having the ever living crap beat out of me. Soldiers get PTSD over seeing combat, not being called ugly or gay on twitter. Words hold the power we give to them. No more no less.

• MeToo is a shit movement. Sure we got to laugh seeing a few "big boys" get ratted out by pouty Hollywood divas but now think just how many men have lost all credability over mere accusations, even if those accusations have no proof behind them. For the guys here let me tell ya,not all girls who make water stream from their eyes are innocent angels. Learn that fast or end up mangled amongst the rust and broken glass! So many dumb things happen when white knighting for a nice piece of ass! (And the women who willingly suck dick to get higher positions have no more dignity or honor than the men buttering their tonsils. It's a two way agreement.

Closing: Propganda "always" tantalizes your senses. They get that right music to play with your emotions whilst appealing to your hero complex and that right acting to make the situations you see seem real. But you have to harden yourselves against that crap. Remember fam,reals over feels. Stay ever vigilant.

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 01:00:03 (edited 2019-01-19 01:04:13)

At 1/16/19 08:24 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 1/16/19 06:42 AM, Garnet-Frost wrote:
At 1/16/19 02:59 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
Oof...it's a good thing you have you're art going on for ya and that's all I'm saying. Also people are allowed to have their opinions. In fact, I wonder what's your thoughts on the women who didn't like the commercial either since you want to generalize everybody.
Sorry:
both men AND WOMEN who are offended by this advert smell of wee.

One commercial doesn't change opinions or manipulate society. But see it as "chip damage" in a fighting game whereas your "block" is your ability to think freely. Sure, you can drown out a few silly jingles and main stream made memes but "over-time" it does still do damage to your resolve and ever so gradually can change your opinion. This advertisement was not simply promoting "decent men". It was chastising men for acting like men. There's a distinct difference there.

My own observations

-Maybe the supervisor should have refrained from physical contact but it seemed as if he was sticking up for his female employee and trying to reiterate her points in a way the other board members would understand better. I mean some might scream he was "man-splaining" but his intentions were simply to build a bridge across a gap of misunderstandings. Also in the "non wussy" world colleagues use the shoulder or back pat to "comfort" their fellow colleagues. It's not like he grabbed her tit or her ass. Get a grip.

-The boys "rough housing" were smiling. Rough-housing is not "toxic". Bullying is toxic.

-The guy who smiled at the woman walking by and started to approach her just wanted to have a coffee with her. Is it a friggin crime to be attracted to someone and ask that person out? Welp, according to Mr. "Not cool,bro!" it obiviously is! Men,don't act like men,m'kay? All women are of higher station so DON'T YOU DARE ask them out for dinner or a movie you raging misogynists!

-People laughing at the incouth pervert is just how comedy works. I have never seen a comedian mix "social justice" with their routine and have it pay off for them. Comedy is about taking offensive,tragic,and taboo subject matter and making these topics less melancholic and less difficult to deal with by making fun of them. (Whilst simultaneously allowing us to confront the monsters under our beds we otherwise would not address. Laughter is a powerful weapon against the darkness!) This is why Mel Brooks did skits as Hitler. He wasn't trying to get people to "love" Nazis but rather robbed them of their ability to instill fear in others by making them into a laughing stock. Likewise Blazing Saddles wasn't made to "encourage racism" but was made to mock it. Yet most of Mel Brook's comedies are considered offensive today. What a bunch of bullshit. Even black comedians like Chris Rock admit we've become too politically correct and that comedians now feel like they have to walk on egg shells for audiences whom are way too easily offended.

-I'm probably most sympathetic to the boy crying and being comforted by his mum. It's true people can be cruel,especially on the internet where anonymity can shield abusers from their just desserts. But most of us come to the realization words only have the power we let them have over us. We learn to "stop feeding the trolls" and it's better to put up with a little opposition and trash-talk opposed to having our freedoms of speech entirely stripped away from us. Also, when you look back on your life and compare your hardships online to enlisting in the military or whatever other "real life trials" that can happen the stuff on your computer screen seems like a friggin cakewalk by comparison!

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 01:15:37

At 1/16/19 10:35 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 1/16/19 09:02 AM, FIGMENTUM wrote:
At 1/16/19 02:59 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: Advert: “Don’t be a dick.”
Men: “I’m offended, fuck Gillette.”

The response to the advert is more embarrassing than the advert itself.
when an ad opens with emphasis on a politically charged buzzword like 'toxic masculinity' (not to mention the others) there's much more going on than simply wanting to reduce the levels of dickiness.
failure to see that, especially when acknowledging the extent of the backlash, is either intentional ignorance or low tier trolling.
Sorry you’re offended by your associations with buzzwords. I didn’t see a dystopia where a dozen downtrodden men are tethered to a single dominatrix, so I guess I saw a different Gillette advert.

If you want to dismiss my opinion as willful ignorance or trolling: whatever helps you sleep at night.

When people are micro-managed by mainstream media whilst being told how they should think and how they should feel or else they're "bad people" I believe it's "healthy" for them to be a little offended or rebellious rather than passively acting like content grazing sheep.

And though an argument can be made "Oh,you're all just giving Gillette more power and giving them more traffic by complaining!" it only holds up until their margins show costumers are leaving in droves and their profit margins are plummeting. Go woke,go broke. It has happened many times before and will continue to happen. I expect sometime in the future there will be a half apology in weasel-writ and any further commercials will shift their tone and focus.

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 01:31:54

At 1/16/19 05:11 PM, FUNKbrs wrote: Being "offended" over the gillette commercial is an incel dogwhistle.

Right off the top, "Alpha" masculinity is for dogs.

It's not for people.

The romans, the greatest empire builders of the west, were soft as fuck and notoriously gay.

FULL FUCKING STOP.

Healthy human masculinity is all about being a gentleman. If you're a shitty father, you're a shitty male. It's not rocket science. Humans pass down more than genetics, they pass down culture, and being an antisocial couch humper isn't human masculinity, it's dog masculinity.

Part of my Doctrine of Hate is recognizing that relationships are property, and that you must cultivate strong relationships if you want to express mastery. Turning an enemy into a friend is the ultimate level of control. Damaging valuable human livestock without forethought is the action of someone who doesn't see value in other people, but if you look at other people as property, they inherently have value.

If you have no concept of mastery, you think dumb shit like petty fights are cool, because you are a trailer park dipshit.

Honestly, when I see a dude get all offended over someone giving some kind of Hallmark message, I generally assume their computer is wired for Fortnight and their body pillow has a yiff hole.

Hallmark

-Get better soon!

-Happy birthday!

-Hang in there,slugger!

-Happy anniversary!

-Love you,babe

-Can't wait to see you!

-(Some funny antidote about being old)

-My favorite grand child!

-You're the best grand-parents ever!

-To my very best friend in the world!

Gillette

-Don't act supportive of a woman,it can be interpreted as man-splaining. Don't pat her on the back even to be supportive and even if you're long time friends.

-Boys having a good time rough-housing whilst smiling and pretending=Bullying

-Laughing at crude humor endorses sexual assault and undesirable behavior

-See a guy interested in a woman who is about to strike up a nice conversation with her? Stop him and tell him how "uncool" it is.

C'mon m8, surely you see the difference between general positivity and interwoven propaganda. Comparing Hallmark to "this" is disingenuous at best and requires tons of cognitive dissonance!

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 04:21:29 (edited 2019-01-19 04:41:54)

At 1/19/19 01:00 AM, nightsavior wrote:

Ok.

Invest your wasted energy complaining to Gillette, not my 3 line post.

BBS Signature

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 06:21:10

At 1/19/19 04:21 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 1/19/19 01:00 AM, nightsavior wrote:
Ok.

Invest your wasted energy complaining to Gillette, not my 3 line post.

The topic was put up and people discussed it. That's generally how these things transpire. I bear you no ill will and would agree one commercial will not totally collapse our society. But if you know anything about frogs and boiling water it's that the temperature gets increased "gradually" over time. The frog does not know its' being cooked alive. One nail or one board is very harmless and inconsequential but when paired with other nails and boards it can create a barricade or even a rampart to break into a castle keep.

Had this been the only piece of media lecturing men telling us we need to straighten up our acts I'd be in your camp and pass it off as a positive message with a somewhat tiny flaw in the way it was presented. But when terms like "toxic masculinity" "incel" "misogynist" "neckbeard" "alt right nazi" "dead beat dad" and "predator" get brought up with impunity and are automatically used when any male is on the other side of a debate to dismiss him,silence him,and dehumanize him it's safe to say we have a problem. Even in this comment section I see the usual shame tactics being utilized by certain posters when a simple "Welp,that's your opinion man,I disagree!" would suffice.

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 06:30:59 (edited 2019-01-19 06:58:09)

At 1/19/19 06:21 AM, nightsavior wrote:

Welp,that's your opinion man, I disagree.

EDIT:

I will say that if your complaints are based on what you insinuate from the information and what you consider is “warming up the frog”, if the frog-killing events that you are dreading arises you don’t have much louder to shout.

BBS Signature

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 06:57:49

At 1/19/19 06:30 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:

Fair enough!

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 08:33:51

I never bought Gillette in the first place

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 08:44:55

At 1/19/19 08:33 AM, Bones wrote: I never bought Gillette in the first place

Neither have I. My dad bought me a razor since I started shaving that wasn't gillete, and I've been using it ever since.

You got dat?

BBS Signature

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 09:19:17

At 1/19/19 08:48 AM, FredArctor wrote:
I use a safety razor, cuz once ya not 13 the hairs thick, its nice to be able to pull a razor apart and clean it out...

Yeah I have something similar I guess. It's a simple heavy razor which you can take apart and you only have to replace the razors once they become dull

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 09:23:12

I don't like the pandering and shit they are doing and the harsh steryotype they are portraying of men in this commercial, but TBH, I use store brand triple bladed razors anyway, so it really doesn't bother me too much. I've been against Gillette for a while now since they use animal testing for their prodcuts, so being against them is nothing new to me.

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 09:41:03 (edited 2019-01-19 09:41:11)

lul how do you have such a fragile sense of self-worth you get butthurt by a shaving commercial

if a message of "don't be a shitty person and justify it with your masculinity" by a faceless corporation offends your masculinity then congrats, you're probably actually just a shitty person

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 10:59:26

At 1/16/19 07:06 AM, Zophar wrote:
At 1/15/19 08:32 PM, Hippokopter wrote:
At 1/15/19 08:17 PM, Zophar wrote: After releasing this I will never ever buy from Gillette again. They are destroying the man. Two little boys fighting on the ground shows masculinity. Showing a guy looking at a girl and seeing she's hot and wanting to chat with her is masculinity. Instead they're destroying men with their "Toxic Masculinity" ad.
BOYCOTT GILLETTE FOREVER!!!
I know! Like, what are they even trying to do!? It's like freaking lemmings! First Target, then Ben&Jerry's, then Gillette. IDK if you've noticed, but Target DIED after they announced their woke bathroom crap. Just... head in hands, ooye.
Yeah Target is gone.

*is excited to find another like-minded person lol*

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 11:17:35

At 1/19/19 11:02 AM, FredArctor wrote:
At 1/19/19 09:41 AM, sheepwave wrote: lul how do you have such a fragile sense of self-worth you get butthurt by a shaving commercial

if a message of "don't be a shitty person and justify it with your masculinity" by a faceless corporation offends your masculinity then congrats, you're probably actually just a shitty person
i of course agree with megz, but also have to add, just speaking for myself, i wasnt offended by said ad, but did find it cartoonish and unrealistic to say the least.

if you werent offended by it and just thought it was unrealistic, then youre probably an okay person and not at all who the ad was talking about, you good fam

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 12:51:54

At 1/19/19 11:56 AM, yurgenburgen wrote: for some reason it has now become the responsibility of companies to sell you an entire identity

That's because actual identities have become scarce.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 16:22:02

this is quite a paradox...considering only feminine men shave their beards to begin with...

BBS Signature

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 18:11:50

probably never a good idea to promote stuff that'll set people off on all camps when at the end of the day, it's not what why people buy their products. It's preachy

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 18:24:17

EDIT:
I will say that if your complaints are based on what you insinuate from the information and what you consider is “warming up the frog”, if the frog-killing events that you are dreading arises you don’t have much louder to shout.

C'mon meng,you were SO close to letting this come to a close but you just HAD to be a smarmy snide jerk yet again! For the record everything I mentioned was "in" the commercial itself. Nothing was fabricated. With just a few second clips of each situation we have no way of knowing "exactly" what went down of course but therein lies the problem. Sure, you could be right but "I" could be right as well. For a comercial wanting to drive home a specific message it leaves far too much to the imagination and what is said does not always align with what is happening on screen.

Though you don't give two craps and think everyone who disagrees with you over this smells of wee-wee it obviously "was" impactful in a negative way based on the commercial's dislike ratio and based on how many youtubers discussed it. Aka, there was more offense to it than passe acceptance of it. That's just a fact. You're in the minority statistically. You're still entitled to espouse your point of view but it might be time to get off your high horse at the very least.

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 19:18:54

At 1/19/19 06:24 PM, nightsavior wrote:

EDIT:
C'mon meng,you were SO close to letting this come to a close but you just HAD to be a smarmy snide jerk yet again!

I did let it go.

It’s not even a snide jerk. Calm down.

BBS Signature

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 19:38:15

At 1/15/19 10:44 PM, Dovod wrote: The funniest thing of it all is that they fucked themselves up without even presenting their product.

They were promoting/marketing their brand - since everyone knows their products/product type, so it makes more sense to market their brand instead.

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 19:42:11 (edited 2019-01-19 19:44:04)

At 1/19/19 06:24 PM, nightsavior wrote: Though you don't give two craps and think everyone who disagrees with you over this smells of wee-wee it obviously "was" impactful in a negative way based on the commercial's dislike ratio and based on how many youtubers discussed it. Aka, there was more offense to it than passe acceptance of it. That's just a fact. You're in the minority statistically.

I will point this out because a lot of you are over-abusing this:

iu_3137_1301731.jpg

Here’s the Kazoo kid video. Totally inoffensive content.

Hell of a lot of views.

Not as many likes (about 1%).

Bugger all dislikes. (0.1%)

iu_3138_1301731.jpg

Here’s the Gillette video.

5% of the views are dislikes.

3% are likes.

Yes, 5% is bigger than 3%.

But, let’s be honest, if people like me are indifferent to the video, they won’t vote on it.

They don’t care.

They don’t care enough to argue with your walls of text.

What you’re tapping into is that toxic wasteland of misery that is “Bitching On The Internet”, where you circlejerk with other people who feel the same way and argue with people who post stupid comments like “you smell of wee” because they’re probably easy wins, and ignore better, well-constructed posts like orangebomb’s.

I don’t care.

Stop arguing with me.

BBS Signature

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 19:45:38

At 1/19/19 08:48 AM, FredArctor wrote:
I use a safety razor, cuz once ya not 13 the hairs thick, its nice to be able to pull a razor apart and clean it out...

I use bic and nice electric barber clippers! Might try the "gentleman's club" set up in the future. Doesn't look too shabby!

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 19:51:19

At 1/19/19 09:23 AM, SnootAnon wrote: I don't like the pandering and shit they are doing and the harsh steryotype they are portraying of men in this commercial, but TBH, I use store brand triple bladed razors anyway, so it really doesn't bother me too much. I've been against Gillette for a while now since they use animal testing for their prodcuts, so being against them is nothing new to me.

Supposedly procter and gamble (That gillette is a sub affiliate of) are also guilty of child labor. https://youtu.be/GNToxiBLTNI

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 19:51:56

lmao boycotting gillette is totally pussy and shows how fragile peoples self image and supposed "masculinity" is

but as a company, idk if they are actually worth supporting, i dont know shit about their razors. personally i say stop shaving and grow your shit out

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 19:59:12 (edited 2019-01-19 19:59:54)

At 1/19/19 09:41 AM, sheepwave wrote: lul how do you have such a fragile sense of self-worth you get butthurt by a shaving commercial

It's not that. Many people are just tired of politics being shoved in where they don't belong. When you order a quarter pounder cheese burger do you want the waiter or waitress to inform you what is going on in South Africa, tell you how you should feel about immigration, or whether or not you should support abortion?

Response to Boycott Gillette 2019-01-19 20:16:16

At 1/19/19 11:56 AM, yurgenburgen wrote: i don't use gillette products to begin with because they aren't as good as schick

nevertheless, i watched the ad so that i could be informed and really it just relates to a much bigger problem with modern advertising, which is that for some reason it has now become the responsibility of companies to sell you an entire identity and confirmation as to where/how you fit in within the galaxy. here's an ad for a UK phone contract

doesn't tell you anything about the product/service. doesn't even mention it's for a phone network.

it is no surprise whatsoever that companies are latching onto WHITE MEN BAD as a vehicle for selling their bullshit considering how well so many actors/comedians/hosts have been milking that tit and it shows no signs of drying up any time soon. if anything it's surprising that it didn't get started sooner. presumably advertisers were waiting until the general public started to become immune to ads based around existential dread

anyway the gillette ad was shit but i don't hate it as much as i pity the suckers that think this kind of thing is good in any way.

I agree wholeheartedly. There are also the people who simply think this is "harmless" and getting remotely offended by it is a sign of immaturity,smelling of wee, or being a incel but the truth is many men AND women are just tired of politics being shoe-horned into everything they see. I mean call me crazy, but a company that makes tires should try to sell me on the quality of their tires as opposed to telling me whether or not I should feed starving kids in Uganda or I should "cock block" other guys if they even remotely or politely express interest in a woman. This is why I stopped watching the majority of television altogether.

To companies: Make a good argument for your product then please get the hell out of my face because at the end of the day I know you only care about money and at least one of your off-shore factories probably uses child slave labor to make yo shit! Don't play moral arbiter with me!