00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NDaveN just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Social Media bans Alex Jones

4,119 Views | 90 Replies

Social Media bans Alex Jones 2018-08-06 17:16:37

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/aug/06/apple-removes-podcasts-infowars-alex-jones

Not too sure what to think about this.

Apparently this ban wasn't because of his insane conspiracy theories. That raises an eyebrow.

lel

BBS Signature

A 30 day ban on Facebook and 90 on Youtube which is oddly well times to conveniently censor him just before the midterms in November, though they'll let the Young Turks spew their shit for days. but at the end of the day it doesnt matter he's already worked his way around it on his many back up channels and pages he has in case this happens while the appeal process goes through. His official apps are still up and the he's going to alternative sources as well and encourages people to pirate cast his programs.

Response to Social Media bans Alex Jones 2018-08-06 19:36:21

This is going to cause a lot of on-the-fence Republicans to vote Trump in 2020 IMO

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Social Media bans Alex Jones 2018-08-06 19:40:53

According to Trump, it's fake news, and it's the enemy of the people. Or is that just anything that is negative about Trump that is the enemy of the people, according to him, and his supporters?

There really is no value in Alex Jones. He full of shit, and he makes money off of making people stupid in the most obvious ways. Some of his shit has led to violence and hate, and that is what he often preaches about, and the main reason why the social media sites kicked him off, not because of his silly conspiracy theories, and fake news.

Twitter/Facebook does this with everyone, but for some reason, conservatives like to complain about it, claiming some conspiracy that they are the only ones being targeted for their hate and promotion of violence. Yet, there are plenty examples of groups/people on the left being kicked off. Antifa for one. Or LGBT, for some unknown reason.

Response to Social Media bans Alex Jones 2018-08-07 01:02:47

At 8/6/18 07:36 PM, Sequenced wrote: This is going to cause a lot of on-the-fence Republicans to vote Trump in 2020 IMO

Social media and streaming platforms, all of which are private entities, made a business decision that did not involve any interference from the government whatsoever. Anybody who calls themselves a Republican and does not respect this is not actually a Republican.

At 8/6/18 07:09 PM, JosephStarr wrote: 1st amendment anyone? Double standards anyone?

Please point to a specific excerpt in the Constitution that YouTube, Apple, Facebook, or Spotify have violated. There is no such clause.

BBS Signature

Response to Social Media bans Alex Jones 2018-08-07 05:40:08

At 8/7/18 03:08 AM, JosephStarr wrote: Let me remind you what the 1st amendment is:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Congress has made no such law. A private entity like Youtube or Facebook can regulate the conduct of its customers any way it wishes (though why anyone would willingly deal with them, with their business model and what not, is beyond me, but that's a topic for another discussion). You're right, it's a double standard, but one that arguably exists for a good reason.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

But is it possible to create a company to sorta create a alternative to it. Like conservatube or Conservabook. Just kidding but just wondering about that. If anything i think its best to openly challenge people than echo chambers thats the problem i think with some stuff. But i am open free speech.

I tend to allign with Nightmare fuel on issues to be honest on youtube, Alex Jones and those is more fun to see just to see the parodies or people parodying some issues because it is not in reality sometimes and feels more like a reality denying issues with some lefties, i mean i dont watch Alex Jones for that i randomly see other commentators on youtube that can vary alot, depends sometimes but yeah. Not saying conservatives are angels on everything though on some stuff that i feel they are wrong. But yeah its how it works.

Response to Social Media bans Alex Jones 2018-08-07 07:37:06

At 8/6/18 05:28 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: A 30 day ban on Facebook and 90 on Youtube which is oddly well times to conveniently censor him just before the midterms in November.

this.

i don't view/listen to the guy, but this is a hypocritical and bogus act

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

At 8/7/18 07:37 AM, billybobthwarten wrote: this.

i don't view/listen to the guy, but this is a hypocritical and bogus act

yup and the Left counterparts on the other side of the spectrum who preach social justice, identity and race politics and being intolerant of the intolerant (which isn't very left to begin with) aren't getting banned because those platforms are ran by people in the same political spectrum, and because they have an agenda with a narrative which is Left Wing Progressivism which is one of the worst ideologies. But now they showed their lack of their objectivity by doing especially by all of them banning him within the time frame of a single a week by multiple platforms.
It was a coordinated attack to get Jones taken off of Facebook and Youtube by mass reporting (CTRL+F Report) with the possibility of automated programs for Hate Speech and this dude is far from hate speech I mean he actively does try to keep it toned down on the whole rah rah, the next thing they'll try is to get his webhost to stop hosting his website then they'll go after the service that works his finances for his online store, they're trying to shut him down.

Response to Social Media bans Alex Jones 2018-08-07 10:44:50

At 8/7/18 01:02 AM, FinaLee wrote:
At 8/6/18 07:36 PM, Sequenced wrote: This is going to cause a lot of on-the-fence Republicans to vote Trump in 2020 IMO
Social media and streaming platforms, all of which are private entities, made a business decision that did not involve any interference from the government whatsoever.

Comon. Facebook Twitter YouTube are major social media monopolies. They all banned AJ within 12 hours. This came immediately after MSM and senate hearings kept calling for these major social media platforms to ban independent media until after midterms.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Social Media bans Alex Jones 2018-08-07 11:29:21

At 8/7/18 10:44 AM, Sequenced wrote: Comon. Facebook Twitter YouTube are major social media monopolies. They all banned AJ within 12 hours. This came immediately after MSM and senate hearings kept calling for these major social media platforms to ban independent media until after midterms.

So, you recognize that AJ is part of the right, and that his conspiracy theories, and fake news, help them out?

Response to Social Media bans Alex Jones 2018-08-07 11:34:51

Frankly, this should’ve been done years ago when people was taking Alex Jones far more seriously than normal, but I guess this is a case of better late than never. The timing certainly is convenient, but it was expected considering that Twitter/Facebook and the like has done so before regardless of political ideology, and getting raked through the coals for allowing fake news to influence the 2016 presidential elections.

We can complain about censorship and free speech all we want, and while I’m certainly sympathetic to the spirit of the rule, complaining about Alex Jones being banned is not worth it, nor is it a hill worth dying on. From an ideological perspective, he is poison, and the damage that he created, however variable it may be cannot be ignored, and I’d like to think we know better.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Social Media bans Alex Jones 2018-08-07 14:01:35

At 8/7/18 11:29 AM, EdyKel wrote:
At 8/7/18 10:44 AM, Sequenced wrote: Comon. Facebook Twitter YouTube are major social media monopolies. They all banned AJ within 12 hours. This came immediately after MSM and senate hearings kept calling for these major social media platforms to ban independent media until after midterms.
So, you recognize that AJ is part of the right, and that his conspiracy theories, and fake news, help them out?

I recognise that the mainstream media is part of the left and that their authoritarian bureacratic policies and fake news helps them out.

Anyways.. I don't really give a shit about infowars but it is obviously a result of this:
https://www.cfr.org/blog/close-social-media-loopholes-protect-upcoming-us-elections
and is outright bullshit because who is next? How far do they keep going with this?
Facebook has no business in governing us.

Response to Social Media bans Alex Jones 2018-08-07 14:14:37

At 8/7/18 02:01 PM, AcidX wrote:
At 8/7/18 11:29 AM, EdyKel wrote:
I recognise that the mainstream media is part of the left and that their authoritarian bureacratic policies and fake news helps them out.

Anyways.. I don't really give a shit about infowars but it is obviously a result of this:
https://www.cfr.org/blog/close-social-media-loopholes-protect-upcoming-us-elections
and is outright bullshit because who is next? How far do they keep going with this?
Facebook has no business in governing us.

Son, they will always be to the left of you, while you well always gnash your teeth at everything and everyone you don't agree with, or promote your views on how things should be.

Response to Social Media bans Alex Jones 2018-08-07 14:33:58

At 8/7/18 02:14 PM, EdyKel wrote: Son, they will always be to the left of you, while you well always gnash your teeth at everything and everyone you don't agree with, or promote your views on how things should be.

Have you ever heard of the CFR, EdyKel? Do you know about their historical ties with other organisaitons?

Response to Social Media bans Alex Jones 2018-08-07 14:55:21

This was the absolute best way to deeply reinforce the beliefs of AJ and his followers, feed into their enlightened victim mindset, prop him up as an underdog and increase general interest in what he has to say.

That was the goal, right? Because otherwise this would be a staggeringly stupid move and sets and awful precedent. Good job everyone.

At 8/7/18 05:53 AM, Crono321 wrote: But is it possible to create a company to sorta create a alternative to it. Like conservatube or Conservabook. Just kidding but just wondering about that.

Already exists, sort of.

https://gab.ai/
https://www.minds.com/
https://www.bitchute.com/

At 8/7/18 02:33 PM, AcidX wrote:
At 8/7/18 02:14 PM, EdyKel wrote: Son, they will always be to the left of you, while you well always gnash your teeth at everything and everyone you don't agree with, or promote your views on how things should be.
Have you ever heard of the CFR, EdyKel? Do you know about their historical ties with other organisaitons?

I'm assuming this is part of some sort of NWO conspiracy, and that it's some left leaning organization, that tells the media what to write, even though for the past 20 years we had conservative politicians, and groups, that pushed wars on the behalf of Israel, and the defense industry, in the middle east.

At 8/7/18 02:55 PM, Jackho wrote: This was the absolute best way to deeply reinforce the beliefs of AJ and his followers, feed into their enlightened victim mindset, prop him up as an underdog and increase general interest in what he has to say.

That was the goal, right? Because otherwise this would be a staggeringly stupid move and sets and awful precedent. Good job everyone.

Sure, pizza gate, harassment of sandy hook victims... There is a whole lot of craziness going from Alex Jones, which have done nothing but make a lot of people stupid. Shutting him down for a few month is not going to change the craziness some of his some of his listeners. He's been wrong multiple times (giving dates for things that would go down, like marshal law, and genocide). And he still has people who believe him. If he was killed, in any way, by a car accident, or had a heart attack, all that would be part of a conspiracy in the eyes of his supporters. So, no, this is not going to do anything that alters the crazy mindset that some of his listeners already have.

At 8/7/18 03:36 PM, EdyKel wrote:
I'm assuming this is part of some sort of NWO conspiracy, and that it's some left leaning organization, that tells the media what to write, even though for the past 20 years we had conservative politicians, and groups, that pushed wars on the behalf of Israel, and the defense industry, in the middle east.

It's the council of foreign relations a heavy hitting think tank in DC and the link is about transparency of political ads on social media about who pays for them and if those ads and their use are getting reported to FEC if they are political or foreign entities, so it's pretty much accountability and transparency, and committing regulation to combat misinformation on social media platforms effectively curtailing free speech on the internet agenda depending which party is currently in power.

There are pros but that detail of who is and isn't fake news is disconcerting.

Response to Social Media bans Alex Jones 2018-08-07 17:52:06

Just because these companies are popular does not mean that they are monopolies, especially if you think they are so easily influenced by external forces. As far as I know, none of these companies are charging an inflated price for their services, which is a defining characteristic of monopolies. In fact, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube essentially provide most of their services for free as long as you have an internet connection.

There is nothing stopping Alex Jones from continuing production of his show or pushing his shitty products. He can still host his show on his own website and servers, free from having to abide by any Terms and Conditions that all users agree to when they sign up to Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. Again, every Republican who doesn’t want to risk looking like a hypocrite would respect this.

BBS Signature

At 8/7/18 05:52 PM, FinaLee wrote: continuing production of his show or pushing his shitty products. He can still host his show on his own website and servers, free from having to abide by any Terms and Conditions that all users agree to when they sign up to Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. Again, every Republican who doesn’t want to risk looking like a hypocrite would respect this.

You're right. Alex Jones can survive inspite of this ban. HOWEVER, since these large platforms have crossed the line that they were sooo border-lining, what is stopping them from banning every other independent news talk show platform?

They were already promoting mainstream news media's videos via putting them at the top of search bars for recent events, and hiding videos way below the list that had more views, viewer interaction, and more subscribers than the MSM channels.

I just find it ironic that 4-6 years ago, MSM did not give two fucking shits about social media. Once they saw how much money they can make, and how much money independent creators are making, they started using all the power they have to write hit piece after pit piece and have been calling social media platforms to just ban shows they deemed "fake news". They don't even acknowledge themselves of the fake news that they spew. It's ok when they do it. but oh no youtube independent content creators are the real enemy now!

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Social Media bans Alex Jones 2018-08-07 19:04:32

At 8/7/18 06:52 PM, Sequenced wrote:
You're right. Alex Jones can survive inspite of this ban. HOWEVER, since these large platforms have crossed the line that they were sooo border-lining, what is stopping them from banning every other independent news talk show platform?

It IS a tricky tightrope that these social media companies are playing, atm - if they're not careful they could be opening the doors to banning anyone that others disagree with, which doesn't do anyone any good. It's a close case here, so despite loathing Alex Jones and what he does to his listeners (as well as those his listeners target because of him) I'm going to hold off on celebrating.

If these social media companies don't start targetting everyone because of how they handled this, great - couldn't ban a more deserving guy. If there's a precident of bans because of diaagreeableness then it started here, folks, and it's bullshit.

Wait and see, though.

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to Social Media bans Alex Jones 2018-08-07 19:07:34

At 8/7/18 06:52 PM, Sequenced wrote:
At 8/7/18 05:52 PM, FinaLee wrote: continuing production of his show or pushing his shitty products. He can still host his show on his own website and servers, free from having to abide by any Terms and Conditions that all users agree to when they sign up to Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. Again, every Republican who doesn’t want to risk looking like a hypocrite would respect this.

What's to stop Newgrounds from banning you for having different political views? That's basically what you are saying. A big reason why they won't do that is that they don't believe in doing that, and secondly they are a business. If they start doing that then less people come to the site. I suspect it's the same for most social media sites.

At 8/7/18 07:30 PM, lapis wrote: Read this for a good summary of why there are better ways to deal with the likes of Jones.

People still care what the southern poverty law center says? Also another good point is some of these bans like the Facebook and YouTube are temporary (from what I last saw) I listened in and he said he was in a 90 day YT jail and 30 day Facebook jail, and it just drives him to platforms that give zero fucks like Gab, or worst he goes deep web where he can say whatever he wants and people will just follow and share it on regular net and that doesn't even take his radio syndication into account.

And he just won one or two of the Sandy Hook lawsuits getting them thrown out and is countering for legal costs

Response to Social Media bans Alex Jones 2018-08-07 23:35:55

At 8/7/18 11:18 PM, JosephStarr wrote:

And here I was worried about the social media groups disregarding the 1st amendment.
This is fucking ridiculous, do I have to move my copy of "1984" to the non-fiction shelf?

https://youtu.be/YthNriaz5RY

MSNBC host literally calling for facebook to shut "fake news" down days prior....

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Social Media bans Alex Jones 2018-08-08 11:03:37

At 8/7/18 11:18 PM, JosephStarr wrote: And here I was worried about the social media groups disregarding the 1st amendment.
This is fucking ridiculous, do I have to move my copy of "1984" to the non-fiction shelf?

This is what Orwellian looks like.

By the sounds of it they're gonna go for the website and apps next looks like the Left really is trying hard he must have pushed a button if there feelings got hurt that bad. There's even talks about straight banning linking to his content.
He's better off with his radio and website if the Left leaning tech companies want to pull that shit he's better off going deep web hosting so he cant be censored and go all 100% in like Stern did with Sirius back in the early 00s after the FCC went all draconian, because once you go there he really cant be contained or be controlled. Make new Facebook and Youtube accounts and start over.

Response to Social Media bans Alex Jones 2018-08-08 12:38:59

At 8/8/18 12:04 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: By the sounds of it they're gonna go for the website and apps next looks like the Left really is trying hard he must have pushed a button if there feelings got hurt that bad. There's even talks about straight banning linking to his content.
He's better off with his radio and website if the Left leaning tech companies want to pull that shit he's better off going deep web hosting so he cant be censored and go all 100% in like Stern did with Sirius back in the early 00s after the FCC went all draconian, because once you go there he really cant be contained or be controlled. Make new Facebook and Youtube accounts and start over.

You don'y have to go down the rabbit hole. I know you are hoping that Republicans stay in power, and that more right leaning justices will replace the more liberal ones, in your hopes that they will get rid of all gun laws you don't like, but using Alex Jones to promote some sort of backlash against the left is just silly. The guy was a purveyor of fake news, and hate, which have led some of his listeners to do terrible shit. We already have a partisan problem in the media, and while a lot of that shit can come close to what Alex Jones does, they are not clear violation of many of the basic rules that social sites have, including this site, when it comes to hate and encouraging of violence.

Response to Social Media bans Alex Jones 2018-08-08 12:44:55

At 8/8/18 11:03 AM, EdyKel wrote:
At 8/7/18 11:18 PM, JosephStarr wrote: And here I was worried about the social media groups disregarding the 1st amendment.
This is what Orwellian looks like.

Honestly what's more Orwellian to me is the constant assault on the press by the white house.

Private websites have always had a right to censor hate speech, and Alex Jones, a man who makes a living crying fire in a loaded theater and plays to the white supremacist crowd has had this coming. the only hold up I feel is websites being afraid of backlash, which is just cowardly.

It's Ironic he cries of censorship when his audience now is as large as ever and has a tremendous ability to make his voice heard; but I mean, when you are an angry white republican more often then not you can say anything you want and face none of the repercussions of your actions.

At 8/7/18 08:05 PM, Zornuzkull wrote: i blame goblins...

Goblins hate ice and fire BO-oth!

Response to Social Media bans Alex Jones 2018-08-08 17:12:47

At 8/7/18 03:36 PM, EdyKel wrote:
At 8/7/18 02:33 PM, AcidX wrote:

Close enough.
Although you may know them as the Council on Foreign Relations.

Response to Social Media bans Alex Jones 2018-08-08 17:20:44

At 8/8/18 12:44 PM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote:
Private websites have always had a right to censor hate speech,

they're not really private websites anymore dude. they've monopolized public forums on the internet ....

lel

BBS Signature