00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Almost-Ichabod just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Putting Frames together?

393 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Putting Frames together? 2018-06-06 23:39:55

Hey I was just wondering what program you guys use to put frames together easily. Are there any free ones? I'm not sure which program would be best. Thanks!

Response to Putting Frames together? 2018-06-08 08:19:50

Could you be a bit more specific? Do the frames you want to put together already exist (if so, how did you make them?) or are you asking about a program to draw frames and put them together at the same time (pretty much every animation program does this)?

If the frames already exist:

(free) copy and past them all into Movie Maker, put them in the order you want them in (when pasting a lot frames Movie Maker it sometimes puts the last frame at the beginning and keeps the rest in order so just drag the first frame to the end if that happens, basically just check if any frames moved and put them back where they should be), then select all the frames and and set image duration to either 0.08 (12fps) or 0.04 (24fps) play it a couple of times to see if looks right, play tweak it by adding or subtracting a couple of 0.01s to the duration. Name and export and you're done.

(not free) use either dragon frame, adobe animate/flash, or after effects and select the "import image sequence" option

Response to Putting Frames together? 2018-06-11 23:57:02

At 6/8/18 08:19 AM, juersh wrote: Could you be a bit more specific? Do the frames you want to put together already exist (if so, how did you make them?) or are you asking about a program to draw frames and put them together at the same time (pretty much every animation program does this)?

If the frames already exist:

(free) copy and past them all into Movie Maker, put them in the order you want them in (when pasting a lot frames Movie Maker it sometimes puts the last frame at the beginning and keeps the rest in order so just drag the first frame to the end if that happens, basically just check if any frames moved and put them back where they should be), then select all the frames and and set image duration to either 0.08 (12fps) or 0.04 (24fps) play it a couple of times to see if looks right, play tweak it by adding or subtracting a couple of 0.01s to the duration. Name and export and you're done.

(not free) use either dragon frame, adobe animate/flash, or after effects and select the "import image sequence" option

I used Krita to animate but I couldn't figure out how to export the frames into a video, and I had tried to download Movie Maker previously but for some reason my computer wouldn't let me :/ (I'm on a budget so I'm just using free programs). I'm probably going to get more proper animating software eventually though. Thanks for your help!

Response to Putting Frames together? 2018-06-12 11:35:35

I used to use Movie Maker but it is no longer available. Now I don't have anything to animate with either, so I am working on a game instead.

Response to Putting Frames together? 2018-06-12 16:32:26 (edited 2018-06-12 16:34:04)

At 6/11/18 11:57 PM, MoofIsNotACat wrote: I used Krita to animate but I couldn't figure out how to export the frames into a video, and I had tried to download Movie Maker previously but for some reason my computer wouldn't let me :/ (I'm on a budget so I'm just using free programs). I'm probably going to get more proper animating software eventually though. Thanks for your help!

To render the animation in Krita, you must first download FFMPEG. FFMPEG is a multimedia framework which Krita relies on to convert the frames directly to a video file or an animated GIF.
Get it here: https://www.ffmpeg.org/download.html

Unzip the archive, and locate the ffmpeg.exe file (you'll find it in the BIN folder).

Now, in Krita you choose FILE-->RENDER ANIMATION.

Switch to the VIDEO tab (Export: Video). Before you can export to video, you must point Krita to the ffmpeg.exe file. Where it says "FFMpeg:" click on the folder icon and select the ffmpeg.exe file.

Next, change the "Render as:" option, and choose VIDEO/MP4 in the dropdown list.

Finally, choose a video (output) location (click the second folder icon) and choose your desktop, for example. If you have any audio in your animation, be sure to check "Include Audio".

Then click OK to start the animation rendering. Depending on your animation this may take a while.

Aside from these options, you may change the first and last frames, as well as the width, height, and FPS (Frames Per Second). You probably need to change the FPS to mirror your animation's FPS (set in the Animation docker: Frame Rate), otherwise it might output to a different play speed.

PS OpenToonz also makes use of ffmpeg to import and export GIF animations, for example.

Response to Putting Frames together? 2018-06-14 18:24:08

Use the basics, Adobe Animate CC (formally known as just Flash).

It's daunting to use at first glance but a lot of the tutorials here got you covered. It's really the bare essentials when it comes to frame-by-frame animation.