00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Creating Backgrounds

286 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Creating Backgrounds 2018-05-31 16:25:49

How do YOU go about making one? Not the actual technical process but how you imagine the composition and the objects. I can't, for the life of me, focus on backgrounds long enough before I feel uninspired.

Response to Creating Backgrounds 2018-05-31 18:09:37 (edited 2018-05-31 18:10:48)

Do you make the background IN the sketch phase or do you do it after you're done rendering everything else? Usually backgrounds are harder to make when you start it last after you're done with your subject, since it's harder to adjust things to fit with the composition better. Everything's pretty much set in stone at that point, if that makes sense.
So it might help you a lot if you sketch out your subject AND the background at the same time. Don't know if that's your case though, but that's what I struggle with a lot and doing that seemed to help. ;w; Though just note that it's a bit weird to get used to at first.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Creating Backgrounds 2018-06-01 13:19:38

I just never do backgrounds because I'm never satisfied with how it looks in the sketch. I chalked it up to me just not liking the process but I really want be able to make them. I guess its a matter of trial and error, huh. I'll definitely try sketching the subject and the background simultaneously.

Response to Creating Backgrounds 2018-06-01 15:34:42

At 6/1/18 01:19 PM, rehdah wrote: I just never do backgrounds because I'm never satisfied with how it looks in the sketch. I chalked it up to me just not liking the process but I really want be able to make them. I guess its a matter of trial and error, huh. I'll definitely try sketching the subject and the background simultaneously.

Ahh, then in that case it would help if you don't think of the background and the subject as two different things and instead think of it as the whole picture, if that makes sense. I'm probably not wording it correctly, but I feel like this explains it perfectly. So basically, instead of thinking of backgrounds as that thing you have to do, think of it as something more inversive which might help make it a more interesting/fun process.

You could also try doing some studies with different perspectives and that kind of stuff; it never hurts to broaden your horizons. I personally tend to get annoyed of something (usually backgrounds) after a while of constantly fixing errors, so it might be a good idea to just beef up your knowledge on it to make the whole thing go along more efficiently.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Creating Backgrounds 2018-06-01 17:06:57

At 5/31/18 06:09 PM, Oddlem wrote: Do you make the background IN the sketch phase or do you do it after you're done rendering everything else? Usually backgrounds are harder to make when you start it last after you're done with your subject, since it's harder to adjust things to fit with the composition better. Everything's pretty much set in stone at that point, if that makes sense.
So it might help you a lot if you sketch out your subject AND the background at the same time. Don't know if that's your case though, but that's what I struggle with a lot and doing that seemed to help. ;w; Though just note that it's a bit weird to get used to at first.

I've always been an idiot who would draw the entire thing first and leave the background for last and not know how the fuck to draw it. This advice for doing sketches of both first is seriously helpful, thanks!

BBS Signature

Response to Creating Backgrounds 2018-06-01 19:25:48

Damn now I feel compelled to make a background. This is valuable info thank you so much, Oddlem!