00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

UmanaJose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is the video card shortage ending?

958 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Just recently, I've noticed that there are more variations of GTX 1060 in stock, and they're all below $500 (Canadian) for the first time since December.

Could this be a sign that things are starting to settle down in the crypto-mining scene? Or are would-be miners just waiting for the @RightTime to strike?

And how would the release of the GTX 11 series, with it's all-new, GDDR6 memory affect the gaming and mining scene?

Will they all be snagged up and overpriced too?

And will there be a glut of older, GTX 10 series cards laying around, at hugely reduced prices?

If so, will you be getting an upgrade?

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Is the video card shortage ending? 2018-04-06 14:36:06

I'm still running a GTX 780 and it does me perfectly fine, but it maybe is getting to the point where I'd want to upgrade in the next year or so if there are any heavy hitting titles that I'm interested in. I'll probably wait until at least the next generation of cards though, whenever they're due. I don't really keep up with hardware news.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Is the video card shortage ending? 2018-04-07 18:58:18

At 4/6/18 02:09 PM, Painbringer wrote: If so, will you be getting an upgrade?

I recently got a 1050Ti card for $323 CAD to replace my 750Ti card. I have started seeing the price trend down. PC Part Picker does a good job comparing pricing between retailers.

Flag stolen content, don't be a dingus.

BBS Signature

Response to Is the video card shortage ending? 2018-04-10 17:59:14

Looks like the supplies are really starting to come back now.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Is the video card shortage ending? 2018-04-11 04:06:13

At 4/7/18 06:58 PM, Peregrinus wrote:
At 4/6/18 02:09 PM, Painbringer wrote:
I recently got a 1050Ti card for $323 CAD

Honestly? I got a new Gtx 1060 6GB for about $280 USD not too long ago. Where are you guys looking? It seems like many websites raised prices only because they find people buying them regardless. There are still alternatives to consider. If I were smarter I would have bought a lower grade card, because right now it just feels like overkill, and I only got the 1060 due to compatibility anxiety.

Anyways there's no point going above 1050-1060 anyways, unless you're a huge glutton/hobbyist. You'd better have excessive amounts of money to dish out for 1080tis and above. The only reason to go that high is for excessive features like 4k and render speeds.

In terms of competition, I haven't heard of anything surpassing 1080s that are even slightly economical.

Gamer chairs, RGB accessories, overkill and overclocking have been killing PC pricing and culture far more than BTC mining ever will. Not to mention I got a mining motherboard for cheap, so it's at least helpful in some ways.

Also mining is pointless.

Response to Is the video card shortage ending? 2018-04-11 07:14:11

At 4/11/18 04:06 AM, Cabbster wrote: Honestly? I got a new Gtx 1060 6GB for about $280 USD not too long ago. Where are you guys looking?

Amazon, TigerDirect, and Newegg were where I cost compared. A 1060 6GB card on Amazon is in the $450-550 CAD range with one or two low outliers, and I couldn't justify to my budget paying that much more. I'm not anywhere near xXxProGamerxXx enough for that. Also compatibility concerns with an older motherboard. 1050 dual screens fine, runs most games I'd want to play on highest detail setting, and fit the budget.

Flag stolen content, don't be a dingus.

BBS Signature