00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Care2mchBEAR just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥

27,249 Views | 573 Replies

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-09-29 19:03:15

@Jackho

September total: 4 books

My only saving grace this month was

1. Flowers for Algernon- I never understood why this one is often on the "banned book list" It really isn't the worst thing out there. I love this book a lot, but yeah it is a little "sad." But it's thought-provoking and still a good read.

My other 3 books this month were all academic and while useful, my brain hurts.

2. Law, Business and Society by Tony McAdams
3. Juvenile Delinquency: Theory, Practice, and Law by Larry Siegel
4. Ethics: Theory and Practice (11th Edition) by Jacques P. Thiroux

I'm ordering some spooky fun books for October right now. I have no idea when I think I am going to read them because I'm also doing Inktober and 31 Days of Horror Movies challenge but---SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!!!

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-09-29 20:21:56

Started reading short books and huffing paint to try to cath up.

20. Wildflowers by Pamela Forey and Cecilia Fitzsimons
A nice primer on wildflowers of north america with nice color illustrations and a cute and practically organized information format for every page... cant say I learned a TON but feel more familiar now and know that my journy of learning about wild plants is one step further

21. Aunt Helen’s Little Herb Book by Evan Pritchard and Susan Comyns Illustrated by Janet Jappen
This book I got at some native American fair I randomly saw one day last year on the way to see a jazz ensemble play. Turned around and got this book and some sage. It tells stories of and interviews a half native old woman with a wild garden of lots of plants from which she gives her anecdotes in this book... the illustrations are black and white, I got more general knowledge from this probabky because the weird blurbs the “Aunt Helen” character throws in makes it more memorable and being based on herbs the book is more focused on edibility and medical potential as well as preperation of the plants which has you thinking about potentially actually using the knowledge presented unlike a wildflower book where youre more soaking in regional and visual identification knowledge but not imagining or visualizing a real use or need for the plants... idk if this book is widely available but it was fun.

22. Irish Blessings with Legends, Poems, & Greetings, 1983 Greenwich House a division of Arlington House
This was a cute and short book of very positive energy feeling little sayings quips and greetings and I enjoyed it although a book like this basiclaly teaches you nothing at all and has no utility whatsoever, I suppose some would say a book of greetings for fortune, luck, positivity, are the best things you could spend time focusing on though

23. How Art Can Make You Happy by Bridget Watson Payne
This was a really cool book. Beautiful design, art of the books looks itself. It mostly talks about going to museums, inspiration, general art “history/scene” knowledge... mostly remember a chapter that talks about how to dress because youre insecure about how you are going to be seen going to a museum.. ?? Lmao I was like um wtf who gives a literal fuck. But theb again my hometown is one of those white trashy towns known for people strolling main street in pajama pants with baby strollers and i can see how that is seen as deplorable,and of course i understand anxiety and nervousness. So this book was kind of a cure for that and good for general inspiration for the everyman/woman who wants to be more in tou h with their creative side

24.meditation in action by Chögyam Trungpa
I had heard about Trungpa before and he seemed important to read about regarding buddhist meditation. This book was pretty good, and really reminded me why i love reading meditation instruction texts, because your mind starts to practice the teachings as you read about it. I dont know much about what I could say about it compared to other spiritual texts but it is a good introduction or reintroduction and will help with ego getting in your way if read

25. The Sacrament of the Present Moment by Jean-Pierre De Caussade introduction by Richard M Foster
This was a book i got from a book store connected to a huge church that has like, live 24/7 christian music playing? Pretty cool place conceptually and this book was interestingly about a french 1700s priest, and read like philosophy which was refreshing and excellent for something from a modern church book store (to probably appropriately generalize the modern commercialized christian movements) after reading the mahabharata this year reading a christian text like this does read to me a little more sensible and truly spiritually driven, Im sure the priest himself helps. Im not an expert. 1700s seems like humanitarianism had been established so tht may be why. But at the same time king louis 7 or whoever edited the bible his own way was influencing church/christianity so maybe still at a very oppressive time, guess theres no black or white, but the age of it made it seem more spiritually genuine and seperate from modern more cheesy christian reading that doesnt necessarily not explain the spiritual ethos directly or clearly, but maybe these styles do it clearly and directly in their own ways... sometimes older styles seemingly actually easier to bring you to a gnostic state once you have processed the strings of words used to describe it

26. The Best American Poetry 2009, guest editor David Wagoner, Series editor David Lehman
This was a cool introduction to a more modernized poetrt style and selections of authors but before the web really went insanely instant with the super monster smart phone wave.. i feel like that sort of changes litrrature especially a genre like poetry tgat seems to ne at keast, VERY driven by style which changes over time greatly and can change quickly ... the intro to this was kind of dense and almost all about critics and the process of selecting poems whch was cool to read about because it was a headspace that probably is very important for this aspect of creation and can relate to many others, but also a kind of funnily weird way i felt to preface a bunch of modern poetry. But with what i said, maybe actually really fitting

Also this month I took a fat crack at a “365 day by day living with god” joyce meyer book that i was following for 2 months at the beginnibg of the year then fell completely away from... since its not really a book about a specific technical body or knowledge or one with a plot you need to follow closely in a shorter period of time, i felt if I finished it way way later than i would anyother book, it would be fine atho i generally would hust restart or put the book away

⚡️Keep huffin yall⚡️

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-09-30 12:57:15

At 9/29/18 07:03 PM, HeadMistressSeven wrote: @Jackho

September total: 4 books

My only saving grace this month was

1. Flowers for Algernon- I never understood why this one is often on the "banned book list" It really isn't the worst thing out there. I love this book a lot, but yeah it is a little "sad." But it's thought-provoking and still a good read.

My other 3 books this month were all academic and while useful, my brain hurts.

2. Law, Business and Society by Tony McAdams
3. Juvenile Delinquency: Theory, Practice, and Law by Larry Siegel
4. Ethics: Theory and Practice (11th Edition) by Jacques P. Thiroux

I'm ordering some spooky fun books for October right now. I have no idea when I think I am going to read them because I'm also doing Inktober and 31 Days of Horror Movies challenge but---SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!!!

I think the reason, personal opinion, that Flowers for Algernon and some other books go on a banned books list because the rules feel that it cause a ruckus of some sort due to questionable content; even at the college level. Reminds me of my Children's Lit class where we had to read this thick textbook that was never in stock at the school bookstore on top of several books with varying target audiences.Boy that textbook had everyone looking at the Disney movies a little differently after discovering the now child friendly versions had some serious tones in their original debut.

Want to get 2 additional books in before the day is out. I'm also making preps for Inktober along with the other NG scheduled collabs/events. So looking forward to everyone's reads for next month.

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-09-30 18:51:07

This is gonna sound dumb... BUT!

I'm gonna read and catch up on One Piece. I'm only up to the Skypiea Arc and to put that in perspective.

Skypeia
Volumes: 26-32 (7 volumes)
Manga Chapters: 237-302, 66 chapters
Dates Released: 2002-2003

THE MOST RECENT ARC.
Wano Country
Released: 2018
Manga Chapters: 909:
Date Released: 2018

So I have a lot of reading to do!! Wish me luck.

'Over-thinking, over-analyzing separates the body from the mind.'

BBS Signature

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-09-30 21:44:29

January (2017 - Read 2):
1. Message in A Bottle - Nicholas Sparks
2. Improper Etiquette - Janice Maynard
3. Bait: Off-Color Stories for You to Color by Chuck Palahniuk
4. Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie (Drums, Girls & Dangerous Pie, #1) - Jordan Sonnenblick
5. The Mammoth Book of International Erotica - Maxim Jakubowski
6. What Mr. Mattero Did - Priscilla Cummings
7. My Brother's Keeper - Patricia McCormick
8. Impulse - Ellen Hopkins

February (2017 - Read 4):
9. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (Blade Runner #1) - Philip K. Dick
10. Everything Is Illuminated - Jonathan Safran Foer
11. Planting Gardens in Graves - R.H. Sin
12. Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl #1) - Eoin Colfer

March (2017 - Read 5):
13. Insecure at Last: A Political Memoir - Eve Ensler
14. The Big Book of Sides: More than 450 Recipes for the Best Vegetables, and More - Rick Rodgers
15. 1984 - George Orwell
16. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life- Mark Manson

April (2017 - Read 1 - Read 0):

May (2017 - Read 2):
17. The Witch Doesn't Burn In This One (Women Are Some Kind Of Magic, #2) - Amanda Lovelace
18. Skinny by Ibi Kaslik
19. Glass (Crank, #2) by Ellen Hopkins

June (2017 - Read 3):
20. The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls
21. The Nonprofit Management Casebook
22. Held Against You - Season Vining
23. Paper Girls, Vol. 2 (Paper Girls #2) - Brian K. Vaughan
24. Rescue - Anita Shreve
25. #GIRLBOSS- Sophia Amoruso
26. Bestiary: Poems - Donika Kelly
27. Exit Here. - Jason Myers

July (2017 - Read 7):
28. Gathering Blue (The Giver #2) - Lois Lowry
29. Everyone Poops - Taro Gomi (hahaha)
30. Uganda Be Kidding Me - Chelsea Handler
31. This Is How You Lose Her - Junot Díaz
32. About a Boy - Nick Hornby
33. The Quarter-Life Breakthrough - Adam Smiley Poswolsky

August (2017 - Read 6):
34. Mosquitoland - David Arnold
35. The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club: True Tales from a Magnificent and Clumsy Life - Laurie Notaro
36. The Start of Me and You - Emery Lord
37. A Dog Named Christmas - Greg Kincaid
38. Go Set a Watchman (To Kill a Mockingbird #2) - Harper Lee
39. Stuart Little - E.B. White
40. Fantastic Mr. Fox - Roald Dahl
41. Good Dog. Stay. - Anna Quindlen

September (2017 - Read 8):
42. The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
43. The Little Paris Bookshop - Nina George
44. Sick Girl - Amy Silverstein
45. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon
46. The House on Mango Street - Sandra Cisneros
47. I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban - Malala Yousafzai
48. Animal Husbandry - Laura Zigman
49. Orange Is the New Black - Piper Kerman
50. A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

October (2017 - Read 6):
November (2017 - Read 4):
December (2017 - Read 5):

BBS Signature

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-10-01 01:01:42

Didn't get the two but I did get the one.

26) Nancy Drew Diaries #1; 2 Graphic Novels by Stefan Petrucha & Sho Murase Pub - PaperCutz New York

This is a graphic novel adaptation of Carolyn Keene's Nancy Drew series. This book features two graphic novel volumes in one book. The first tale is titled "The Demon of River Heights" and the second is "Writ in Stone". It reminded me of the book Nevermore as it's a modern day adaptation.

Nancy Drew and friends are always out and about leading out their day normally. Unfortunately, that bit of normal soon dissipates when things take a turn for the unwanted. From dealing with a grizzly to dealing with a missing child, Nancy and friends sure know how to get the job done; even when it's unknown at first.

Almost like a kid-friendly version of Midsomer "Mysteries".

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-10-01 01:16:28

I'm halfway through a book on Game Theory, but it won't get finished tonight; I was on vacation last week which meant I did 0 reading.

BBS Signature

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-10-02 14:37:38

At 9/30/18 09:58 PM, Jackho wrote: If there's any more updates get em in sonne

Yeah, I have been slacking off again, due to work. I hope to finish "Men At Arms" this week. Tomorrow is national holiday and it looks like the weather is going to be shitty. So, perfect time for some serious reading..

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

At 9/30/18 09:58 PM, Jackho wrote: If there's any more updates get em in sonne

@ADR3-N @Alias @Argile @Asandir @Bit @BlackerTheBerry
@Boss @Dean @Dr-Worm @Ganon-Dorf @Haggard @Hoodie
@Noggleton @Oolaph @Quisty @Sensationalism @SevenSeize
@TheQuietGamer @IJDKA @xAyjAy @Yomtoxic @ZJ @FredArctor
@Qira @BFFcraft @BOTkay @sciencefreako @gonahens78
@Dancing-Ducki @Zophar @TopazAzul

Pretty much Done with Flowers for Algernon though with From A Buick 8 I only went through half of the book.Right now I'm Big Debt Crisis by Ray Dalio

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-10-02 15:37:06

*raises hand in admittance of guilt*

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

LITFAM UPDATE: BACK TO SCHOOL EDITION?

Username - Progress For Month - Progress Toward Goal
@ADR3-N - 0 read this month - 7 out of 25 |
@Alias (@augustana) - 9 read this month - 50 out of 35 | +9
@Argile - 0 read this month - 10 out of 50 |
@Asandir - 3 read this month - 83 Total | +3
@BFFcraft - 0 this month - 1 out of 20 |
@Bit - 0 read this month - 0 out of 20 |
@BlackerTheBerry - 0 read this month - 0 out of 20 |
@Boss - 7 read this month - 26 out of 50 | +7
@Dancing-Ducki - 1 this month - 11 of 12 | +1
@Dean - 0 read this month - 3 out of 10 |
@Dr-Worm - 0 read this month - No Goal |
@FredArctor - 0 this month - No Goal |
@Ganon-Dorf - 0 read this month - 14 out of 40 |
@gonahens78 - 0 this month - 2 out of 30 |
@Haggard - 1 read this month - 9 out of 12 | +1
@Hoodie - 1 read this month - 6 out of 26 | +1
@Jackho - 2 read this month - 9 out of 12 | +2
@Noggleton - 0 read this month - 0 out of 6 |
@Oolaph - 0 read this month - 5 out of 12 |
@Quisty - 0 read this month - 3 out of 11 |
@sciencefreako - 10 this month - 66 out of 100 | +10
@SevenSeize (@HeadMistressSeven) - 4 read this month - 39 out of 30 | +4
@Sensationalism - 0 read this month - 3 out of 24 |
@TheQuietGamer (@IJDKA) - 3 read this month - 25 out of 30 | +2
@TopazAzul - 6 read this month - 26 out of 25 | +6
@xAyjAy - 0 read this month - 1 total |
@YomToxic (@Yomuchan) - 0 read this month - 9 out of 15 |
@ZJ - 0 read this month - 5 out of 25 |
@Zophar - 0 read this month - 0 out of 10 |
29 Users - 47 read this month - 406 out of 650 |

@TopazAzul just slayed their 25-book goal!!!!! Another good month all round. We're gonna make it fambos.

Top Readers
1. @sciencefreako (10)
2. @Alias (9)
2. @Boss (7)
4. @TopazAzul (6)

All mistakes simply are

As per @HeadMistressSeven's suggestion, October is general horror month. Rather than picking one book for the group you're encouraged to pick something yourself that relates to horror or halloween. Get spoop'd.

Here's Goodreads' most popular horror books if you need a starting point.

@ADR3-N @Alias @Argile @Asandir @Bit @BlackerTheBerry @Boss @Dean @Dr-Worm @Ganon-Dorf @Haggard @Hoodie @Noggleton @Oolaph @Quisty @Sensationalism @SevenSeize @TheQuietGamer @xAyjAy @Yomtoxic @ZJ @FredArctor @Qira @HeadMistressSeven @BFFcraft @BOTkay @sciencefreako @gonahens78 @Dancing-Ducki @Zophar @TopazAzul @IJDKA @Yomuchan

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-10-02 22:04:48

@Jackho I'm gonna finish before you. :P

"I'm not dabbing on my haters, I'm hiding my tears."

BBS Signature

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-10-02 22:19:15

At 10/2/18 10:02 PM, Jackho wrote: As per @HeadMistressSeven's suggestion, October is general horror month. Rather than picking one book for the group you're encouraged to pick something yourself that relates to horror or halloween.

Omg I love the graphic lmao

BBS Signature

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-10-03 06:09:52

At 10/2/18 03:37 PM, HeadMistressSeven wrote: *raises hand in admittance of guilt*

Yeah, replace "books" with "video games" and that's 100% me.

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-10-03 07:01:29

At 10/3/18 06:09 AM, Haggard wrote:
At 10/2/18 03:37 PM, HeadMistressSeven wrote: *raises hand in admittance of guilt*

It can be both. We shouldnt have to choose!

BBS Signature

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-10-03 07:25:04

At 10/3/18 07:01 AM, HeadMistressSeven wrote:

But most of the time you only have enough money for one of those. :(

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-10-03 08:33:53

At 10/3/18 07:25 AM, Haggard wrote:
At 10/3/18 07:01 AM, HeadMistressSeven wrote:
But most of the time you only have enough money for one of those. :(

Sometimes I just don't buy food.

I'm fat enough.

BBS Signature

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-10-03 11:10:35

At 10/3/18 08:33 AM, HeadMistressSeven wrote: Sometimes I just don't buy food.

I'm fat enough.

I've lost about 12kg in the last few months. Down from 96kg to 84kg (I'm about 1,85m tall, so I actually am closer to my ideal weight now). There's not too much room to miss out on meals during the day.

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-10-03 11:28:48

At 10/3/18 11:10 AM, Haggard wrote:
At 10/3/18 08:33 AM, HeadMistressSeven wrote: Sometimes I just don't buy food.

I'm fat enough.
I've lost about 12kg in the last few months. Down from 96kg to 84kg (I'm about 1,85m tall, so I actually am closer to my ideal weight now). There's not too much room to miss out on meals during the day.

Good for you though, right on!

BBS Signature

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-10-03 14:01:04

Stuck in cram school these past few months, I haven't got much in the way of reading done. Midterms are almost over and I guess I can get back into this challenge once more.

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-10-04 02:00:57

I've been doing this all year though. I have 6 new books at least, and I'm half through 3 of them.

Also @Jackho I don't celebrate Halloween for religious reasons. I'll be reading Judge Jeanine Pirro's "Liars, Leakers, and Liberals." Reviews here.

If I haven't mentioned a while back, I finished Austin Kleon's "Steal Like an Artist" in mid-September. Great short read for anyone interested in jump-starting, reviving, or otherwise stimulating your creativity. The main thrust of the book is some tried and true advice I can for sure say has fixed my inspiration to actual project problem massively.

Step one, stay away from the computer. It's great for collating, correcting, and eventually shipping off your ideas to the world for consumption, but it's waaaaay too easy to hit the backspace, delete, and CTRL+Z to just let the little boo-boos be. We all know sometimes mistakes make the piece -- but this isn't the real issue. Working with your hands just has a way of making the magic happen. Use your digits. I've found the combination of notebook, smartphone camera, and MS One Note an easy way to convert paper scraps into actual projects; I've got a couple projects waiting to hit the press as a result, and ZERO frustration!

Step two, realize all great artists steal, and those that try to be 100% original starve themselves of inspiration for original work when and if they aren't unconsciously robbing their influences. Think about all the creators you wish you could be like. Examine their works, deconstruct them and their influences. Repeat this through your creative "family tree," and really do your research. Learn about the processes by which they create their work, and try to put yourself inside their head space.

Step three, imitate what you like, then emulate. Keep a swipe file of all the things that inspire you for when you need that extra boost. Every bit helps. There's a reason producers keep gigabytes of samples, speeches, or little kids in Walmart. Art is part of the human experience. Anything can be beautiful or terrible. Realize that, and bring it to fruition. And remember, good theft = inspired, paraphrased; bad theft = pasted, plagiarized. Good theft remixes. Bad theft rips off. Good theft draws on many influences and blends them together. Bad theft steals from a few influences and copies them verbatim.

These are just a few of the point outlined in the short, fairly humorous book. I could go on for hours about how important some others, like not forgetting your hobbies, keeping organized, taking tons of notes, etc. are to the artist's tortured existence, but I'm tired, lol. If by chance I've already done a writeup for this book, woops.

Catch ya later.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-10-07 20:21:55

Haven't seen that book but I have read Show Your Work; got to look into this one. Sorry I haven't checked in but I had to wait till my usual library run at the end of the week. Got some selections from the library plus I'm a do a search for that Austin Kleon book; hopefully it's available at the library.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone had read thus far.

Done reading these books:

84.Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc IF: The Button of Hope and the Tragic Warriors of Despair, Ryōgo Narita
85. Die Stadt der toten Klingen (City of Blades), Robert Jackson Bennett, 715 pages
86. Wie man die Zeit anhält (How To Stop Time), Matt Haig, 380 pages

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc IF: The Button of Hope and the Tragic Warriors of Despair

A what if story depicting an early scenario from Danganronpa 1 going differently. It is a short novel that is included in Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (unlock for playing through). Enjoyed it for giving some more insight to one of the characters. It doesn't have an official book cover and the fan mades one I saw had spoilers so I threw one together myself.

Recommend to Danganronpa fans, remember to play Danganronpa 1+2 first and read Danganronpa Zero beforehand.

Before reading this I also played through Danganronpa V3, which is also fantastic.

At 7/30/18 07:28 AM, Asandir wrote:
City of Stairs:

Almost 100 years ago the city Bulikov was blessed by the gods - six of them. Bulikov used this power to conquer other continents without mercy. All of that is long gone, nowadays Bulikov is just one of many colonies of Saypur, the same Saypur that was ruled over by Bulikov, their population used as basically slaves. Bulikov's downfall started when the mysterious Kaj arrived - bringing with him a weapon capable of killing gods and their created beings, a weapon that has been lost since then.

With Saypurs rule, all wonders and miracles of the past have dispappeared from Bulikov, everything divine has been forbidden via law, including historic texts that mention the past and the gods in any way.

Shara Thivani is sent to Bulikov - officially just as a diplomat. In reality though she is a craftful spy, ordered to find out who murdered her mentor Efrem Pangyui. As her research progresses, she soon has to realize that unknown powers conspire to gain power in Bulikov - and that not all divine things have disappeared forever.

Fantastic book. Also has some sequels which I am looking forward to read in the future. Great original concept and worldbuiling makes this so far my favorite fantasy book I read this year.

City of Blades is the sequel to City of Stairs. Main focus this time is the city Voortyashtan, also called "City of Blades". General a.D. Turyin Mulagesh, a retired soldier is sent there for a secret mission. The government of Saypur has sent soldiers to overlook the construction of a harbour, with the goal of using it as a gateway to the rest of the planet. Soon she has to realise that the dead goddess Voortya hasn't lost all of her influence over the city.

Great sequel. Deals with life as a soldier, cruelty of war, etc. Highly recommended.

How To Stop Time:

"Don’t attach yourself to people, and try to feel as little as you possibly can for those you do meet. Because otherwise you will slowly lose your mind .”

Tom Hazard looks like he is 40 years old - but he is actually 439 years old. He ages way slower than other people. Early in his long life, he has a relationship with the love of his life, Rose. They have a child, Marion, who also has the same condition as her father. As people suspect Tom of being a work of the devil, Tom and Rose decide to part ways. Heartbroken, Tom vows to never love again.

Some time after he crosses paths with Hendrich, a much older man with the same aging condition that Tom has. Hendrich has created a secret community for people like him and Tom, to ensure that they remain safe and a secret. He has built up a fortune and helps each member to get a new identity every eight years. Hendrich promises to help Tom find his daughter Marion.

In the current days, Tom decides to become a history teacher in London. There he meets Camille and everything changes.

Good book.

Tuturu~ ♫

Without truth, there is no justice.

Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users

BBS Signature

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-10-09 23:29:57

Just stopping by to give an update listing all the FUCKING NOTHING I've read because I'm a big ol' lazy loser

I'd say I'll catch up but that's probably a lie. Spending too much time painting little plastic men for tabletop wargames to expand my brain with literature

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-10-17 17:41:01

Source: Jake Likes Onions

BBS Signature

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-10-21 23:27:40

27) Steal Like An Artist by Austin Kleon

A nice read much like Show Your Work but on fast forward mode. Really liked the fake it till you make it part. Pretty much tells you to properly go about the creative process and he was right about the working digitally first part. I'm very nit picky myself when it comes to my creative work and just go unproductive when I start digitally; too many times starting over.

To this day I have to work pencil to paper first before even going digital; which for some reason drove some of my instructors bonkers. A really nice read especially for those who've hit a brick wall that is difficult to break down.

28) The Manga Guide to Statistics by Shin Takahashi - Trend Pro Co. Ltd.

I first read this some years ago to help me grasp statistics a little better as every tutorial I've encountered dragged terribly. Lots of notes were taken of which I still have on file. So wanting to recap I picked the book up again at the library.

A fun, engaging and education filled read. You learn the basics of statistics along side a nice story. The story follows Rui on her journey to learn as much as possible within the field of statistics in hopes that she'll be able to work alongside her new crush.

She tells her dad that she's interested in learning about statistics which fills him with joy as his little girl is showing signs of following in his footsteps. As preparation he arranges for her to be tutored by a co-worker of whom she hopes is her crush. To her dismay it's a different co-worker called Yamamoto.

She's not happy at first but gets over it. Over the course of the book she learns different statistical elements along with how data is handled when measuring certain things; like polls and grading curves. Slowly but surely she develops a light crush on her tutor.

It's an interesting if not funny ending that reminded me of that royal's ball scene from the Sailor Moon manga where the princess loses her glasses and the girls get a little jealous when they see how she looks without them.

29) Trigun Maximum Vol 1 by Yasuhiro Nightow

Favorite pick me up when I'm looking for a boost; one of many at the moment. In a nutshell it's about a character by the name of Vash of whom disappeared from the gunslinging scene and pretty much embraced a life of quietness in a small town in the middle of nowhere. No one knew who was for years till he was forced out of "retirement" to aid a friend.

30) Flight Attendant by Rosemary Wallner

In the process of reading. It was filed under the wrong section (in regular book section instead of children's area) in the library and am still reading at the moment.

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-10-22 17:37:36

Finally got around to reading something this month...

Response to ♥ Reading Challenge 2018 ♥ 2018-10-22 21:21:04

Introducing Economics: A Graphic Guide
by David Orrell and Borin Van Loon