Respond to this Topic
squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-29 17:03:24 (edited 2017-12-29 17:20:11) Reply

At 12/29/17 04:51 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/29/17 04:46 PM, Zachary wrote: I really dig the idea to change the PM system over to a more chat based one.

Are there any plans to allow game uploads that are made NOT in HTML5 or Flash?
For now we're sticking with web-based but downloadable has long been under consideration. The timing felt ripe back when there weren't good web alternatives and Steam was still harder to get onto but now it feels less pressing. One of my other concerns is NG becoming even more confusing to people who think there is too much going on here.

That's honestly the problem with NG, it's way too Jack of All Trades nowadays. We used to be pretty direct about what we hosted, but now it's a little bit of everything.

I hope with the new layout, for the record, you get rid of the "effects" on everything. Don't get me wrong, I like the steel aesthetic on all the buttons, but it makes them a lot harder to look at and the site a lot less clean.

In addition, NG really needs to be less overwhelming to look at, present the most important info first, not all the info.

Have you considered making the Front Page have less per category but have it rotate or something? Right now I can only really see either Games or Movies on my 1080p laptop, and it means either games or movies will be ignored tbh because I can only see a single row of the other. I'd recommend you either remove a row from Games/Movies, or you opt for a single row that scrolls through (this would let you put Games, Movies, Music AND Art on the default view. You essentially have 4 rows to work with, make them count tbh.

Also, is P-Bot's daily pics that important that it blocks off something like Artist news? Couldn't it be smaller, moved, or below it?

I feel like Newgrounds functions best as a creator's space, but having a robot take up the place where creator's can talk kind of gets in the way of that.

2017 Year End Thoughts

Good.

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-29 17:11:15 Reply

At 12/29/17 03:56 PM, Xenoryt wrote:
2017 was a rough year for me, but I made it.
Same, it was a pretty shitty year imo.

I could not agree more. What bad things happened to you in 2017?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature
Scuinox
Scuinox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Artist
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-29 17:30:20 Reply

At 12/29/17 03:51 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/29/17 02:59 PM, Scuinox wrote: I was going to mention a few things I thought of.So there is a level system for blaming and voting on videos. There are points for playing games and such. I was thinking if there was a level system for playing games then it might make the games more engaging and maybe put a competitive twist to the gaming experience. As well as leaderboards for all games. Also I had kind of a sudden almost out of left field idea. Another portal where the videos are filmed videos. So then it wouldn't be just animations and such. PLus then it would filter all the horrible videos out. Which wouldn't pollute the site with unnecessary videos. It would be a place to judge other videos and films. Which could open up a whole new section and invite different people. These were just thoughts that I had as I've been using the site quite frequently for a few months now. I'm not sure what all has been considered and not thought about or if there is a gaming level system.
Anyways I just thought I would mention these few ideas in case they would be of help.
Happy New Year!
We have leaderboards via our API but it's up to the individual games to integrate them. We also have a medals ranking board but that could be promoted more heavily and we could try other things to rank people by how much of individual content types they consume. I've always liked the idea of a pie chart that shows how someone uses the site (animation / games / music / art in particular).

A portal for live action video is one of the big looming possibilities. It was need to be clear enough to the public that they can't just dump endless hours of home movies and vlogs on there, otherwise it would be a mess for us to accept and process all the uploads even before removing them. One of the things about sites like YouTube is that it does still cost a fortune to just let the general public dump video on you. It might even have to be invite-only, at least initially.

The other concern there is it would really shake things up. Animated content would be competing with live action content and sadly live action would probably end up being more popular with a wider audience and animators might feel like they are getting nudged out of the spotlight. More likely though, live action could end up widening the spotlight for everyone.

Oh okay well I just had a few ideas thought I'd drop them by but I figured that the ideas might of already been considered. I do like the new voting faces for the audio and art pages really gives the votes individuality. Also new gaming face would be cool but I'm sure it was considered. I was thinking that taking the points in the same way as the blams and uh experience points and just doing the leveling up with the same idea. If that was thought about. So basically people can level up with the more gaming points they get. Then have a leaderboard for the top points. As well as being able to see the people on the leaderboards for the other ranks and levels. So then people can check out the top users and all that. So I was further explaining that to make sure it was correctly communicated.

BBS Signature
Necroionutwiz
Necroionutwiz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-29 18:06:31 Reply

What a story Mark i mean Tom(The Room) .... as Jimmy said i just like to watch you guys :D hahaha as for me and @cyberdevil were competeing for who gives the most reviews im on the list again but always glad to come back here from time to time and maybe in the near future we'll see the new episode of Starbarians :)
As for the new year as always hope to be better than the last Cheers!!!

2017 Year End Thoughts

Zachary
Zachary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-29 18:40:37 (edited 2017-12-29 18:40:59) Reply

At 12/29/17 04:51 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/29/17 04:46 PM, Zachary wrote: I really dig the idea to change the PM system over to a more chat based one.

Are there any plans to allow game uploads that are made NOT in HTML5 or Flash?
For now we're sticking with web-based but downloadable has long been under consideration. The timing felt ripe back when there weren't good web alternatives and Steam was still harder to get onto but now it feels less pressing. One of my other concerns is NG becoming even more confusing to people who think there is too much going on here.

Do you ever feel that by not allowing downloadable games Newgrounds is missing out on new developers and innovation? Just something I was thinking about in relation to where the game industry is moving.

The reason being is that with new developers coming into game development, they are not learning things to make games with Flash or HTML5(some are, but certainly not a lot).

In a few years I think it is a real possibility we might see a void of games on the site.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-29 20:07:54 Reply

At 12/29/17 06:40 PM, Zachary wrote: Do you ever feel that by not allowing downloadable games Newgrounds is missing out on new developers and innovation? Just something I was thinking about in relation to where the game industry is moving.

The reason being is that with new developers coming into game development, they are not learning things to make games with Flash or HTML5(some are, but certainly not a lot).

In a few years I think it is a real possibility we might see a void of games on the site.

That has been a concern... Ever since Behemoth started I've been worried that NG is not longer tailored to all of my needs as a creator and that was sort of the canary in the coal mine, since so many devs are now making non-web games.

One cool thing is that people making games with Unity, Game Maker and Construct 3 all have HTML5 output options so web games should be around for a good while. I know we're missing out by not doing it all though.

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Saminat
Saminat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 13
Voice Actor
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-29 20:56:59 Reply

Looking forward to another year of productivity! I'm transitioning more and more into the college life, and sadly it's eaten a lot of my motivation and free time to do anything else but hahah, but thankfully I'm stepping away from some of my core requirements for my degree, and my thought processes will be narrowing down, I'm hoping it will make it more manageable. Thanks for everything you've done for us Tom! Also @phantomarcade I'm really proud of the contributions and hard work you've shown this year, keep it up buddy, and thank you!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

PhantomArcade
PhantomArcade
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 16
Animator
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-29 21:32:56 Reply

At 12/29/17 08:56 PM, Saminat wrote: Also @phantomarcade I'm really proud of the contributions and hard work you've shown this year, keep it up buddy, and thank you!

We're on our way to a bigger and better Newgrounds than ever before! So enjoy the peace and quiet while it lasts, because once NG takes off again it's gonna go higher than ever before.

Though technically we're already on a bigger and better NG since new stuff is being added constantly both in features and content, so YEAH. NEO-GROUNDS IS ABOUT TO EXPLODE

2017 Year End Thoughts

G3neral
G3neral
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-29 21:48:35 Reply

At 12/29/17 11:02 AM, Djjaner wrote: First

this website is old

MagniusGaia
MagniusGaia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Artist
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-29 22:14:58 Reply

I hope Newgrounds never dies, it’s always refreshing to see new artists and their content flourish. I’m hoping that the numbers will increase of users and supporters rather than lurkers. I know the website is already mobile user friendly but is there any plan for a solid mobile app in the future? Or is there no need for that?

Can’t wait to see what lies ahead in 2018!

Wardsmith
Wardsmith
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Art Lover
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 00:18:26 Reply

At 12/29/17 11:07 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 12/29/17 11:02 AM, Djjaner wrote: First
Anybody could be first. lol

Brothers in arms, dude. 2017 was some brutal shit for me too.

BBS Signature
five
five
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 00:34:36 Reply

Happy New Year y'all

RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 01:07:56 Reply

Refresh my memory: what's better, the one-time $25 for a yearly membership or the recurring PayPal donation? Also, do I still get the supporter privileges with the latter?

thepixelizer
thepixelizer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Artist
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 01:43:06 Reply

All we need now is a NEXT button on the search, without it and the previous button it makes it impossible to go beyond 40.
Good job on the updates Newgrounds's staff though.

2017 Year End Thoughts

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 02:30:34 Reply

At 12/30/17 12:18 AM, Wardsmith wrote:
At 12/29/17 11:07 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
Brothers in arms, dude. 2017 was some brutal shit for me too.

What brutal things happened to you in 2017?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature
Brandon-bhoy
Brandon-bhoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 02:53:24 Reply

To Kill Any THOTS

https://youtu.be/UJfnB_OLyy4

RemileOduen
RemileOduen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 05:07:39 Reply

Yea, the 2017 was difficult for me, but future seems even more unstable for now. However, NG is always giving me a real dose of good emotions, so - once again happy holidays to everyone and long live NG!

"Please don't tap on the glass. Penguins can see and hear you alright. They just don't care."

Xenoryt
Xenoryt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 05:14:12 Reply

I could not agree more. What bad things happened to you in 2017?

Most of the time, my ears bleeded.

4 major terror attacks where I live.

My sister got mugged. (it was here phone she lost, and her purse)

The party I voted for this year in the general election lost.

Mother is in a financial crisis.

I joined Newgrounds. (just kidding)

gay
gay
gay

Sakahuman
Sakahuman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 07:18:00 Reply

one can only hope for less shitty year.
I like the unique look of the frontpage, it's compact without being over clutter.
The more i need to pagedown the less attractive it is.

limit total audio sumbit per year or period might prevent spam.
Having auto playlist button on frontpage for feature movies and pbot-daily would be nice. Rarely click on recommend vid afterward.
Timestamp on thumbnail, vid player play nicer w/ keyboard during playback, double click to fullscreen would be nice.
i doubt being on cartoon related podcast like rebeltaxi's would gain some traction, most reaction viewed 'NG is still a thing?'
Collab is fun and beginner friendly. Seems more popular in hyun dojo, and often posted on their yt channel and quiet popular too for its niche community.
W/ the transition to mostly mp4 movies, I hope storage won't become a burden.

Used to play games, but stopped.
land of lustrous 10/10, reddit is interesting, and wish newgrounds stays afloat.

Orange-Swirl
Orange-Swirl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 08:32:44 Reply

It's over already? It feels like 2017 barely started for me.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 09:19:43 Reply

At 12/29/17 10:14 PM, MagniusGaia wrote: I hope Newgrounds never dies, it’s always refreshing to see new artists and their content flourish. I’m hoping that the numbers will increase of users and supporters rather than lurkers. I know the website is already mobile user friendly but is there any plan for a solid mobile app in the future? Or is there no need for that?

The plan has been to tackle an app once the layout has completed the transition to being mobile friendly, although in an ideal world people wouldn't need walled gardens (app stores) to access their favorite stuff and could just do it all in a web browser. Have also been eyeballing progressive web apps and wondering what NG could pull off in that space.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 09:20:36 Reply

At 12/30/17 01:07 AM, RydiaLockheart wrote: Refresh my memory: what's better, the one-time $25 for a yearly membership or the recurring PayPal donation? Also, do I still get the supporter privileges with the latter?

I like the monthly $3 commitment because it gives us a consistent budget and people will hopefully stick around long-term. You still get all the same supporter perks but with monthly you don't get the annual badge until you've been a supporter for 12 months.

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 10:21:29 Reply

At 12/29/17 03:34 PM, IvanAlmighty wrote:
Hopeful for more screenings, just gotta decide how big of an event it should be and if there could be enough for people to make the trip for beyond a theater screening. Could just keep it low key for now though. We need to grab a drink soon too.

if only the newgrounds office had like a large downstairs space that nobody uses for anything and play movies on a giant screen.

None

IvanAlmighty
IvanAlmighty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Animator
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 11:19:57 Reply

At 12/30/17 10:21 AM, Luis wrote:
At 12/29/17 03:34 PM, IvanAlmighty wrote:
Hopeful for more screenings, just gotta decide how big of an event it should be and if there could be enough for people to make the trip for beyond a theater screening. Could just keep it low key for now though. We need to grab a drink soon too.
if only the newgrounds office had like a large downstairs space that nobody uses for anything and play movies on a giant screen.

The Jazza meet up was done like that and it never spread upstairs or had leftovers, plus there’s the bonus of streaming it.

BBS Signature
EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Filmmaker
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 11:29:56 Reply

Really awesome year. And I finally found a reason to jump in on creator action again (20th Anniversary Audio Drama).

I think NG could do with a Graphic/Web comics section as an off-shoot of the Art-Portal or something. Right now, I don't think the thumbnail system really pimps webcomics the way they could but the bigger point I want to make is that especially with NG's atmosphere of collaboration, I think it would be super interesting to eventually see panel-by-panel webcomic collabs happening on the BBS. I bet you guys have considered this idea well before my bringing it up, but still....
One of the big parts of Newgrounds' system is the evolution of viewer to creator (that's how it happened for me), and comics are a great stepping stone to animation/video (while of course being its own thing).

EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 18
Filmmaker
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 11:43:11 Reply

What if instead of a front page, y'all just had a crossbar of "interests", which would then in frame load a category like movies of games with the thumbnails of featured content? However, I always think artist and website news should be in view.

I think the angle I'm going for here is minimizing scrolling because... I just don't like doing it.

hotdogtopus
hotdogtopus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Writer
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 11:51:52 Reply

Mm ... every year seems like a missed opportunity.

And I say the same thing every year. Newgrounds doesn't have any way to monetize content in a significant way.

This is the biggest problem, but it seems to get the least amount of attention.

I know Google ads doesn't like NG and whatever. I think that paying people for referring NG subscriptions is an okay idea, but it would be easier to just get more creators subscribing if they had more money from their creations hosted on NG.

Having a NG membership doesn't have significant benefits and is a hard sell for outsiders. This has to be fixed in order to get new users and covert current users besides the early adopters.

NG could sell downloadable games as an affiliate through BMT Micro or something else. Ask people to put their games on there and all NG would have to do is post the affiliate links. I made a lot of money doing that until Steam was flooded by Greenlight. Afterwards, I couldn't compete. Nobody would buy a game from me. Selling stuff is the best way to make money -- not ads. Make sure it's stuff people want because SWAG is hard to sell.

Encourage exclusivity on Newgrounds. Encourage people to post content more often and blog. Allow creators to pay money to get front page access. I'm sure a lot of people would pay decent money for that.

You could even wrap all of the videos that come in with NG ads asking viewers for subscriptions and pay creators based on how many new subscribers their pages generate, but nobody will subscribe with dollar vote(s) if there's not a really good reason ...

theonlyhawk
theonlyhawk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 12:22:24 Reply

i got into Newgrounds this very year and i am really liking the site until now, i have found great pieces of art and learned about incredible creators.

I am really hopeful about my future and the future of this site, let's make great art for ourselves :)

someday we'll all learn about what is important and we'll all join the Hawk's pack
and we'll reign supreme. - Hawk

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Writer
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 12:45:58 (edited 2017-12-30 12:49:52) Reply

At 12/30/17 09:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: I like the monthly $3 commitment because it gives us a consistent budget and people will hopefully stick around long-term. You still get all the same supporter perks but with monthly you don't get the annual badge until you've been a supporter for 12 months.

Seems that instant gratification + lesser pricing really makes the yearly badge an immediate choice though, from a user perspective. How about at least rewarding the badge right away, yet having it automatically disappear if monthly donations are cancelled? Could make it a more appealing/less confusing option.

Either way though I like the option to pay for something one-time rather than reoccurring. Automatic payments feel like a lack of control, and an insecurity. What if that money gets spent on other things and the account lacks the funds when a new month comes. What if the economy changes. What if my financial situation changes. What if a lot of things, whereas yearly subscription = peace of mind. Buy one and it's done. Wouldn't mind if yearly price was a bit higher to match the monthly price instead, so whichever option I choose it'll be a tribute of equal value.

As for the argument on the monthly option giving a consistent budget: wouldn't just an internal budget with yearly pledges seen as a 12 part payment have the same effect, so all payments are split up on 12 months regardless? Doesn't really seem like a thing where which option a user chooses should make a difference, just how you decide to handle that money, seems the bigger issue is getting more of it, regardless of subscription model...

Curious about what's happened with the 'new custom storage solution to cut costs while doubling our storage capacity' btw - when you went back to regular server-hall hosting? Is that solution somehow still used with those new servers?

As for the bigger thing though: the New Year now looming, I'm really looking forward to seeing what great things it might bring! Big plans, and big realizations this year too! Hope the next is just as productive, and the community keeps growing and expanding in new and creative/lucrative/inspiring/endearing ways! Thanks for all your hard work; commitment on this one - this place just keeps becoming a better and better place to be!

Happy New Year all! A few few hours in advance...

HipnikDragomir
HipnikDragomir
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 12:48:32 Reply

Yeeeee. Still need to find a place to use my NG pin

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature