Respond to this Topic
DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 12:53:04 Reply

At 12/30/17 08:32 AM, Orange-Swirl wrote: It's over already? It feels like 2017 barely started for me.

Did you sleep all year and just wake up? lol

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature
Soupcat
Soupcat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Animator
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 12:54:21 (edited 2017-12-30 12:55:14) Reply

At 12/29/17 10:49 AM, TomFulp wrote:
As we wrap up layout updates, we'll be spending time to focus on UI / UX. This is a great time to give us suggestions and to share stories about when the NG user experience has caused confusion for you. We want to improve the initial sign-up process so people are more likely to engage with the site and artists. We want to be sure people are following artists they like because our feed will keep becoming more useful.

I dont know if this is in your abilities but I've always wanted to see submissions that won awards on specific days (i.e. Who got frontpaged today in the past or who won a daily award). I thought this was a feature in the past but I'm not sure.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Writer
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 12:59:50 Reply

At 12/30/17 12:54 PM, Soupcat wrote: I dont know if this is in your abilities but I've always wanted to see submissions that won awards on specific days (i.e. Who got frontpaged today in the past or who won a daily award). I thought this was a feature in the past but I'm not sure.

The frontpage archive does exist. :) https://www.newgrounds.com/fpa/movies

As for the other ones there are the P-Bot posts, though indeed not really an index that's easy to browse...

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 13:18:18 Reply

At 12/30/17 05:14 AM, Xenoryt wrote:
I could not agree more. What bad things happened to you in 2017?

I almost did not see this, since you did not put my name in the reply.

Most of the time, my ears bleeded.

4 major terror attacks where I live.

My sister got mugged. (it was here phone she lost, and her purse)

The party I voted for this year in the general election lost.

Mother is in a financial crisis.

I joined Newgrounds. (just kidding)

Wow, that is some crazy stuff. Why do your ears bleed? Where do you live that has so many terror attacks? Did your sister get her phone and purse back?

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 17:05:31 Reply

At 12/30/17 12:45 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Seems that instant gratification + lesser pricing really makes the yearly badge an immediate choice though, from a user perspective. How about at least rewarding the badge right away, yet having it automatically disappear if monthly donations are cancelled? Could make it a more appealing/less confusing option.

I like that idea a lot, since I do think not giving the badge immediately causes confusion. Would be cool to grant it immediately and if the user ever goes to cancel, the page could remind them "only three months left to make your 2017 support badge permanent!"

Either way though I like the option to pay for something one-time rather than reoccurring. Automatic payments feel like a lack of control, and an insecurity. What if that money gets spent on other things and the account lacks the funds when a new month comes. What if the economy changes. What if my financial situation changes. What if a lot of things, whereas yearly subscription = peace of mind. Buy one and it's done. Wouldn't mind if yearly price was a bit higher to match the monthly price instead, so whichever option I choose it'll be a tribute of equal value.

Have been tempted to raise the annual rate, if we do I've been thinking $29.99 (or just avoid the psychology and make it a flat $30). Ever since we added the single month option for $3, a lot of people do that and I'd like to remove that option completely, so you either pay one time for the year or get the subscription. You could still get a subscription and immediately cancel it but from a sales page standpoint I think it would get better results and it's in line with what just about every other website is doing with similar systems now.

As for the argument on the monthly option giving a consistent budget: wouldn't just an internal budget with yearly pledges seen as a 12 part payment have the same effect, so all payments are split up on 12 months regardless? Doesn't really seem like a thing where which option a user chooses should make a difference, just how you decide to handle that money, seems the bigger issue is getting more of it, regardless of subscription model...

The hope with subscriptions is that people would stick around for years, where when people make a one time purchase the odds of them renewing aren't as likely. But yeah if people were consistent we could also just depend on a ton of annual purchases each year.

Curious about what's happened with the 'new custom storage solution to cut costs while doubling our storage capacity' btw - when you went back to regular server-hall hosting? Is that solution somehow still used with those new servers?

We are still at a managed hosting facility now vs racking our own hardware but we control what servers we are renting and building a custom system was more economical than the ready-to-go file hosting solution on offer.

As for the bigger thing though: the New Year now looming, I'm really looking forward to seeing what great things it might bring! Big plans, and big realizations this year too! Hope the next is just as productive, and the community keeps growing and expanding in new and creative/lucrative/inspiring/endearing ways! Thanks for all your hard work; commitment on this one - this place just keeps becoming a better and better place to be!

Happy New Year all! A few few hours in advance...

Happy New Year!

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 17:08:58 Reply

At 12/30/17 12:54 PM, Soupcat wrote: I dont know if this is in your abilities but I've always wanted to see submissions that won awards on specific days (i.e. Who got frontpaged today in the past or who won a daily award). I thought this was a feature in the past but I'm not sure.

You can find that by browsing the P-Bot Posts archive but we do intend to have a much easier system to track awards. We were part way done with a whole awards overhaul that would have included event awards but the system get put on hold and probably needs a total redo now. When the system finally does get updated, you should be able to browse winners for any trophy and do stuff like click a trophy to see what else won trophies that day. When I see something awesome with a 2nd place trophy, I always wonder "What was so good it got #1?" but right now it's time consuming to track it down.

The whole trophy overhaul is another thing I hope we get out in 2018, including Audio and Art trophies.

BBS Signature
DoubleDenial
DoubleDenial
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 19:05:20 Reply

2017 was a terrible year for DoubleDenial. Seriously, my last upload was in February!

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Musician
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 21:22:03 Reply

At 12/29/17 10:49 AM, TomFulp wrote: The new year will kick off with the launch of new user pages and a new site header. Heads up, the tank logo isn't currently planned to appear in the new header because we could never get it to feel right without taking up a lot of space.

try this

2017 Year End Thoughts

S3C
S3C
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Musician
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 21:28:24 Reply

^rare SBB sighting

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 21:29:01 Reply

At 12/30/17 07:05 PM, DoubleDenial wrote: 2017 was a terrible year for DoubleDenial. Seriously, my last upload was in February!

2017 was horrible for me and others, so don't take it personally. Just look forward to that bright and shiny 2018.

BBS Signature
DoubleDenial
DoubleDenial
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 21:35:12 Reply

At 12/30/17 09:29 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 12/30/17 07:05 PM, DoubleDenial wrote: 2017 was a terrible year for DoubleDenial. Seriously, my last upload was in February!
2017 was horrible for me and others, so don't take it personally. Just look forward to that bright and shiny 2018.

Not expecting to get a creativity bump in 2018, or at least not soon, but I have some things planned.

ADR3-N
ADR3-N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 21:46:25 Reply

At 12/29/17 10:49 AM, TomFulp wrote: We updated Dumping Grounds with the new layout and drag and drop uploading.

Really appreciate this.

We integrated additional software to tackle spam in the blogs and forums while manually removing anyone who gets past the filters.

Is there a post somewhere where I can read all about this? Sounds interesting.

We rebuilt our follow / favorite system and now have more data to use in upcoming updates, such as time stamps for when people are followed and things are favorited. We've begun the transition of replacing hearts with a more clear "Follow" button for artists. You can see this on audio and art pages currently. Hearts will still be used for favoriting content.

Awesome! I've always wanted timestamps. I forget so much crap. Will help me keep up with my library.

The new year will kick off with the launch of new user pages and a new site header. Heads up, the tank logo isn't currently planned to appear in the new header because we could never get it to feel right without taking up a lot of space. We intend to keep working the tank logo into the site in other ways but for now we're in a big state of transition as the layout evolves.

YAY! But also sad face. I'd like to have the option to select a tank theme for browsing NG, honestly. Would be a cool supporter feature or w/e. Then again I'm a nostalgia junkie.

Then we'll be moving on to the forums, PMs, project system, wiki and various odds and ends. We intend to make the PM system more chat-like, where you maintain individual real-time threads with users, rather than the current system where you send single messages and quote previous messages.

Awesome. Are there plans to retain the colon-space quotation system, though? I exchange really long PMs all the time and without it I'll just have to bullet stuff LOL.

The forums will become mobile friendly and include the ability to reply to posts in-feed, something you will see with blog replies in the January update. We're making an ongoing effort to let you do more and more in-feed, so you can interact with lots of stuff without having to jump in and out.

Awesome. I don't like swapping tabs to do everything. I forget and leave stuff unreplied in open tabs almost daily.

We also have plans for helping fans financially support their favorite artists, although the idea involves tracking and rewarding one-time direct payments vs recurring subscriptions, which would require NG to be more of a middleman than we intend to be.

So, similar to a gofundme rather than a monthly patreon subscription. Cool. What would be awesome is a tab on the userpage for supporters. Say, someone tips me a dollar, they appear on my supporter wall. Supporting could on the other hand appear on someone's stats page as a badge with a time stamp, like the NG supporter badge.

In February, expect the release of the NG Dragonball Z collab

Yay!

If you enjoyed NG this year and are looking forward to our ongoing progress in 2018, it would be greatly appreciated if you become a supporter!

I plan to renew my yearly subscription soon. Dw. <3

Still, we seriously need to double that number asap and make sure it grows year after year, rather than simply maintain.

Yeah, costs aren't going down any time soon, I don't think, esp. after the net neutrality ruling.

Thank you everyone who participated in and supported NG in 2017! I'm proud that NG is home to so many talented individuals and there is always so much cool stuff to see, hear and play. Newgrounds remains a completely unique place on the web and is building strength year after year, all thanks to the ongoing efforts of the community. A lot of websites have come and gone over the years and I want NG fans to be able to look at all this with pride and know they picked the right horse.

QFT. Love ya, Tom! Life wouldn't be the same without NG. I wouldn't have a career.

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-30 22:52:07 Reply

At 12/30/17 09:35 PM, DoubleDenial wrote:
At 12/30/17 09:29 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
Not expecting to get a creativity bump in 2018, or at least not soon, but I have some things planned.

As long as you keep trying your best, you best work will always be ahead of you. Leave 2017 in the past, and 2018 will be amazing.

BBS Signature
RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-31 02:15:43 Reply

At 12/30/17 09:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: I like the monthly $3 commitment because it gives us a consistent budget and people will hopefully stick around long-term. You still get all the same supporter perks but with monthly you don't get the annual badge until you've been a supporter for 12 months.

OK, cool. I don't care so much about the badge as I do the perks. Thanks for the reply. :)

RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Gamer
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-31 02:17:07 Reply

At 12/30/17 09:29 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: 2017 was horrible for me and others, so don't take it personally. Just look forward to that bright and shiny 2018.

Would love to leave 2017 in the past as you said. Has nothing to do with world events. My husband had a heart attack at the end of June and that's really fucked things up in so many ways.

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-31 04:48:03 Reply

Nice!

Although the redesign bothers me a bit..no more tank logo? :(
I'd much prefer a PM system much like GMail's emails rather than Messenger, fwiw.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-31 04:51:20 Reply

At 12/30/17 09:22 PM, Buoy wrote: try this

that's a tank? it looked more like a hat with a feather in it

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Musician
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-31 08:43:43 Reply

At 12/31/17 04:51 AM, Gimmick wrote:
At 12/30/17 09:22 PM, Buoy wrote: try this
that's a tank?

yes

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-31 09:02:41 Reply

At 12/30/17 09:22 PM, Buoy wrote:
At 12/29/17 10:49 AM, TomFulp wrote: The new year will kick off with the launch of new user pages and a new site header. Heads up, the tank logo isn't currently planned to appear in the new header because we could never get it to feel right without taking up a lot of space.
try this

Earlier in the year I was tinkering with tank_sm as the part of the video / audio scrubber you grab and pull.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-31 09:09:57 Reply

At 12/30/17 09:46 PM, ADR3-N wrote:
We integrated additional software to tackle spam in the blogs and forums while manually removing anyone who gets past the filters.
Is there a post somewhere where I can read all about this? Sounds interesting.

We never went into detail about it but we use two different tools. The downside is it does add to our monthly costs and the results are sometimes overly aggressive - regular people who depend on VPNs often get snagged - but marketing spam keeps getting more sophisticated and aggressive so it's good to be blocking a lot of it.

The new year will kick off with the launch of new user pages and a new site header. Heads up, the tank logo isn't currently planned to appear in the new header because we could never get it to feel right without taking up a lot of space. We intend to keep working the tank logo into the site in other ways but for now we're in a big state of transition as the layout evolves.
YAY! But also sad face. I'd like to have the option to select a tank theme for browsing NG, honestly. Would be a cool supporter feature or w/e. Then again I'm a nostalgia junkie.

I liked the mock-up @Fungasm proposed earlier in the year and I think we'll be doing some experimenting in 2018. For now the goal is to just keep things simple and get the changes live.

Then we'll be moving on to the forums, PMs, project system, wiki and various odds and ends. We intend to make the PM system more chat-like, where you maintain individual real-time threads with users, rather than the current system where you send single messages and quote previous messages.
Awesome. Are there plans to retain the colon-space quotation system, though? I exchange really long PMs all the time and without it I'll just have to bullet stuff LOL.

The quoting system will likely go away if we change to a more threaded chat-like conversation, no plans there at the moment at least.

So, similar to a gofundme rather than a monthly patreon subscription. Cool. What would be awesome is a tab on the userpage for supporters. Say, someone tips me a dollar, they appear on my supporter wall. Supporting could on the other hand appear on someone's stats page as a badge with a time stamp, like the NG supporter badge.

Yeah, more like gofundme and ko.fi. We had Paypal donate buttons on content in the early years of the Portal but no one used them. Part of that was web culture at the time but I think another big part was that we didn't track the transactions to that people could get credit for supporting artists. The goal is to track the payment while never actually handling the money, so it is transferred from one user to another without NG taking a cut or having to handle any related accounting / tax / money laundering concerns. A lot of websites have become money handlers nowadays and most aren't following all the laws around that.

BBS Signature
ORI-TAGGART
ORI-TAGGART
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-31 09:55:18 Reply

Well it was a great year for us. Let's make shure we keep the pace going.

Butzbo
Butzbo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Animator
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-31 10:01:06 Reply

Having the perspective, quite a lot going on on NG this year!
While a more 'update-focused' year, it's been pretty cool to see new kinds of events, like the Construct 3 Game Jam, streamings and the NG screening (leaves me wondering how a Newgrounds Animation & Games festival could be!).

I'm excited with the upcoming user pages, and I'll look for time to make a Pixel day animation, seems like a cool excuse to experiment a bit.

On a side note, more Newgrounds Game Jams would be cool!, I got the impression that the Construct 3 jam brought a good deal of attention from gamedev communities.

That said, keep it up NG ;)

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Writer
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-31 11:50:40 Reply

At 12/30/17 05:05 PM, TomFulp wrote: I like that idea a lot, since I do think not giving the badge immediately causes confusion. Would be cool to grant it immediately and if the user ever goes to cancel, the page could remind them "only three months left to make your 2017 support badge permanent!"

Even better! :D

Have been tempted to raise the annual rate, if we do I've been thinking $29.99 (or just avoid the psychology and make it a flat $30). Ever since we added the single month option for $3, a lot of people do that and I'd like to remove that option completely, so you either pay one time for the year or get the subscription. You could still get a subscription and immediately cancel it but from a sales page standpoint I think it would get better results and it's in line with what just about every other website is doing with similar systems now.

Curious how much psychological leverage that one cent really has... either way it still feels like a modest/manageable sum! Either alternation sounds good, and the on-going subscription instead of one month does sound like a better option, considering there's still a 'donate' option for any one-time tributes.

The hope with subscriptions is that people would stick around for years, where when people make a one time purchase the odds of them renewing aren't as likely. But yeah if people were consistent we could also just depend on a ton of annual purchases each year.

Right, didn't consider the continuity aspect there. Any thoughts on an option to let users subscribe on a yearly basis, as well as monthly?

We are still at a managed hosting facility now vs racking our own hardware but we control what servers we are renting and building a custom system was more economical than the ready-to-go file hosting solution on offer.

Ah, I had the impression you first built your own system in office, then did something entirely new for the move... good to hear it's still in use!

The whole trophy overhaul is another thing I hope we get out in 2018, including Audio and Art trophies.

Looking forward to that too! :D

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

HazPot
HazPot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-31 14:10:58 Reply

At 12/29/17 11:02 AM, Djjaner wrote: First

Errrr...No 1 Cares..........

2017 Year End Thoughts

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-31 14:53:07 Reply

At 12/31/17 11:50 AM, Cyberdevil wrote: Right, didn't consider the continuity aspect there. Any thoughts on an option to let users subscribe on a yearly basis, as well as monthly?

We actually do offer a yearly subscription option so people can do that too. If we ever raise the yearly price, existing subscribers would be grandfathered at the old price.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Writer
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-31 16:01:15 Reply

At 12/31/17 02:53 PM, TomFulp wrote: We actually do offer a yearly subscription option so people can do that too. If we ever raise the yearly price, existing subscribers would be grandfathered at the old price.

Oh, good to know, had somehow missed that option completely!

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Writer
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-31 18:29:52 Reply

At 12/31/17 04:41 PM, saulo-sergio wrote: Bomberman

He's the bomb. :P

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-31 19:05:34 Reply

At 12/31/17 02:17 AM, RydiaLockheart wrote:
At 12/30/17 09:29 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: 2017 was horrible for me and others, so don't take it personally. Just look forward to that bright and shiny 2018.
Would love to leave 2017 in the past as you said. Has nothing to do with world events. My husband had a heart attack at the end of June and that's really fucked things up in so many ways.

That is really terrible. I have had health issues most of this year, so I know how hard it is. Not just physical, but financially as well.

Wishing you all the best in 2018.

BBS Signature
Nekoyoujo
Nekoyoujo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-31 19:20:03 Reply

So much got done this year, and it's so exciting that there's more to come!

Net Neutrality 2017!
Day-o day-o, mombajee ai-o,
Don't look any further

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Gamer
Response to 2017 Year End Thoughts 2017-12-31 19:30:57 Reply

See all of you clowns in 2018. Stay safe out there.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature