00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KiichigoInu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Punisher on Netflix

1,980 Views | 40 Replies

The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-17 11:39:47

The Punisher series comes to Netflix today.
Reviews have been mixed.
Some people are saying it's too violent......

It's The Punisher..........

Anyway, I searched for a thread on this already, didn't see one, made one.

Apparently Netflix release times are stupid , so some peeps will see it before others. Here's a pic explaining.

I'm watching when I get home tonight, alone, just the way I'll die too.

Anyone watching yet? Thoughts?

The Punisher on Netflix

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-17 11:43:05

At 11/17/17 11:40 AM, Zornuzkull wrote: Violence eh? That's all I needed to hear...

Copious amounts of it.

And punishment.

I mean, if this is the wrong way to spend my Friday evening, I don't want to be right.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-17 11:49:14

Oh wow, I didn't realise it was due for release so soon. Probably going to have to re-subscribe to Netflix for this. Means I'll finally be able to watch Stranger Things too!

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-17 11:58:29 (edited 2017-11-17 12:00:57)

I wanted to finish as many of the Netflix Marvel series as possible when my mother was still alive. We managed to finish them all. I was hoping this would release sooner because she loved The Punisher's appearance in DD. Well, I'm glad its out now and I'll finish that shit up in her honor.

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-17 12:02:17

At 11/17/17 11:49 AM, Dean wrote: Oh wow, I didn't realise it was due for release so soon. Probably going to have to re-subscribe to Netflix for this. Means I'll finally be able to watch Stranger Things too!

It was actually supposed to release sooner. My understanding is it was postponed due to the Vegas shooting.
Everyone keeps talking about how awesome Stranger Things is. Maybe I'll start that one after I watch the Punisher.

At 11/17/17 11:49 AM, MPPlantOfficial wrote:
And punishment.
Exactly what I needed to hear. tbh I don't agree with Matt Murdoc half the time (but do like that he's not against crippling enemies.) and his belief in the justice system. He can't help it though being a lawyer and all.
I do expect Frank to be killing a few innocents(special forces maybe) out of self defense though; maybe not on purpose but he's bound to be making a few mistakes every now and then and that's a little bit of grey in there.

I kinda get tired of the Batman superhero genre with the, "we can't ACTUALLY kill anyone" BS.

Sometimes people are bad and need to die.

Frank Castle understands this. I understand him.

At 11/17/17 11:52 AM, Sekhem wrote: i'll probably get started on it sunday night or monday

looking forward to it

the punisher segments in dd s2 were easily the best parts (outside of the kingpin, anyways)

it kinda sucks that we don't get jigsaw for s1, but i'm sure it'll be good regardless

I am way behind on anything Punisher from lets say the last 5 years or so.

I refuse to miss out on this!

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-17 12:04:51

At 11/17/17 11:58 AM, MuramasasEdge wrote: I wanted to finish as many of the Netflix Marvel series as possible when my mother was still alive. We managed to finish them all. I was hoping this would release sooner because she loved The Punisher's appearance in DD. Well, I'm glad its out now and I'll finish that shit up in her honor.

I am sorry to hear about yout mom.

I will watch in her honor too!

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-17 12:06:28

At 11/17/17 12:02 PM, SevenSeize wrote: Stranger Things

I'm on episode 7.

So far it's been a 7 hour long advertisement for mental health treatment.

I mean, it's go it's parts, but holy crap the psychiatric propaganda allegory is 95% of what's going on.

This is a song about death. It's on mandolin.

Hate is the first step to all solutions.

You will not end bigotry until you learn to hate it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-17 12:22:24

At 11/17/17 12:12 PM, Sekhem wrote:
you didn't watch daredevil? i would highly recommend it first

I did watch Daredevil! But otherwise, I am super behind.

i'm glad i don't watch gotham or agents of shield (both awful) or i wouldn't have time for anything but superhero shows (currently watching supergirl, arrow, flash, legends of tomorrow, and the gifted in addition to the other shit i watch). next year, there's the addition of cloak and dagger, black lightning, and a new season of legion, too.

I tried watching Gotham and couldn't get into it.

it's all good so far, but i'm sure i'll get tired of it at some point, right?

Well, I wouldn't. But I'm a huge freaking nerd who lives for this crap.

At 11/17/17 12:08 PM, MPPlantOfficial wrote:
At 11/17/17 12:02 PM, SevenSeize wrote:
Which is why I enjoy Miller's Batman a lot. I also wish they'd expanded a bit more on the Thomas Wayne Batman. That version was ruthless. Man needed his own series.

Oh man, I LOVE Frank Miller though.
Like more than a friend.
We could have a separate thread for my love for Frank Miller.

At 11/17/17 12:06 PM, FUNKbrs wrote:
At 11/17/17 12:02 PM, SevenSeize wrote: Stranger Things
I'm on episode 7.

So far it's been a 7 hour long advertisement for mental health treatment.

I mean, it's go it's parts, but holy crap the psychiatric propaganda allegory is 95% of what's going on.

I hate to hear that. :-(

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-17 12:23:28

At 11/17/17 12:04 PM, SevenSeize wrote:

I am sorry to hear about your mom.

I will watch in her honor too!

coolio

and thanks

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-17 12:54:04

At 11/17/17 12:28 PM, Zymbot wrote: I still haven't watched Iron Fist and Defenders.

Watch with me tonight!

At 11/17/17 12:46 PM, MPPlantOfficial wrote:
At 11/17/17 12:22 PM, SevenSeize wrote: I tried watching Gotham and couldn't get into it.
Gotham is hard to get into. Seen 2 seasons and liked them but haven't been interested in seeing the 3rd one.
It has a certain tone. I'd argue it's harder to get into Gotham than Twin Peaks (1990). Super campy. and this is coming from someone who still watches wrestling.

I used to be reeeeeally into wrestling when it was WWF-- Mankind, Undertaker, all that noise

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-17 17:04:20

At 11/17/17 03:15 PM, Zymbot wrote: I've already got a whole weeks worth of my weekly shows clogging up the dvr.

It's hard to buckle down and watch them, cause all I wanna do anymore is surf the internet and absorb useless information.

I'm home! Punisher is my only plans for tonight!

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-17 18:04:16

Just finished the first episode. I thought it was very well balanced. I enjoyed it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-18 04:18:21

I'm a couple of episodes in and I'm beginning to suspect this "Frank" character has some problems.

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-18 06:11:22

At 11/17/17 11:07 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: Just finished the first episode. Soooo satisfying. Jon Bernthal is killing it (literally).

I think Punisher is just one of those characters that just isn't going to do well with critics.

It's going to be slow going, but I can't wait to finish it. If they keep up the quality I can tell this will end up being my favorite MCU show.

Loving the soundtrack so far as well.

I'm on episode 6. While I don't think it's the best thing ever, I don't get the critics whining that it is too violent. I think the violence and drama is very well balanced. I am enjoying it. It's keeping me interested. He punishes people, that requires violence!
I also like the soundtrack.

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-18 06:13:23

At 11/18/17 04:18 AM, axehandle-stain wrote: I'm a couple of episodes in and I'm beginning to suspect this "Frank" character has some problems.

He's a proactive guy, who tackles his problems.

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-18 10:36:13

They all have androids on this show, and are using the same phone I have.
When they get a text , I get excited and think I'm getting a text, only to be disappointed.

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-18 10:54:06

At 11/18/17 10:48 AM, Sekhem wrote: episode one was really good

i was kinda hoping he was gonna leave the kid in the cement, though

"I'm gonna to find a home for this" *hold up hammer*

Loved it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-18 15:20:15

Is anyone else having issues with broken episodes? Trying to see if this is a Netflix problem or a my shitty cable provider problem.

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-19 16:15:33

At 11/19/17 03:58 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: So I've finished the first six episodes. Still enjoying it, but they really should have cut the fat. It's feeling too long and I don't really see the point in a few of these subplots yet.

I thought the same around episode 6, but after that, it really starts to pick up!
Like I watched episode 11 last night. And it was perfect.
It was what I'd been waiting for, as far as Frank Castle goes.

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-19 16:18:45

At 11/19/17 04:16 PM, Zymbot wrote:
At 11/19/17 03:58 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: So I've finished the first six episodes. Still enjoying it, but they really should have cut the fat. It's feeling too long and I don't really see the point in a few of these subplots yet.
That's kinda the main flaw with all of the Marvel Netflix shows I've seen. They go on too long.

^^^^ agreed!

But just my opinion, this series is doing better ish, regarding this issue.

Like I'm not getting bored, the way I have with other Marvel series.

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-19 23:53:31

I just finished the season. The last few episodes were perfect. I am so hooked. I need another season immediately.

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-20 20:59:45

At 11/20/17 08:51 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: Just finished it. Those last three episodes more than made up for the slower moments. That final showdown felt is the most one of these Netflix series have felt like a comic book thus far. Can't wait for more of this character. They just need to sharpen up the plot next time. Just a little too much downtime and seemingly pointless subplots. I like how they all managed to end up trying in when everything was said and done, but at the

I was talking to @aviewaskewed and I said pretty much the exact same things!
The final episode and final showdown was perfect.

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-23 14:28:52

Hype

I left off on Cage, so I had to binge Iron Fist first (not very good but I liked Harold's scenes and Gao) and now I'm in the middle of Defenders, so I'll start it soon.

I'm not buying negative critics on this. Immediately after it came out, I saw criticism of it being too violent (so you've never heard of the Punisher, eh?) or it not having enough of a political statement about gun violence (fuck off). But I saw all this negative feedback before the show came out from... what do we call them? "entertainment journalists"? ... who hadn't even seen it. The first results that showed at the top of the page when I looked up "Punisher" on November 16th were shitty articles complaining about it coming out now because of mass shootings (so the Punisher can never come out then, right?) or complaining about it not referencing the MCU movies enough (you are mentally retarded).

So yeah, hype. I'll see if its good or not. Daredevil season 2 is the best thing in the entire MCU, IMO. Beats the shit out of all the movies. And Bernthal's Frank Castle was a major reason.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-23 16:39:15

At 11/23/17 02:28 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
I'm not buying negative critics on this. Immediately after it came out, I saw criticism of it being too violent (so you've never heard of the Punisher, eh?)

I didn't feel it was too violent at all. Imo, the only true violence was in the last 3 episodes.

or it not having enough of a political statement about gun violence (fuck off).

A few episodes had a push for gun control, yep

But I saw all this negative feedback before the show came out from... what do we call them? "entertainment journalists"? ... who hadn't even seen it. The first results that showed at the top of the page when I looked up "Punisher" on November 16th were shitty articles complaining about it coming out now because of mass shootings (so the Punisher can never come out then, right?) or complaining about it not referencing the MCU movies enough (you are mentally retarded).

Agreed 100%

And Bernthal's Frank Castle was a major reason.

I am in love with him. Both the actor and the character.
I'm asking him to marry me.

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-23 16:41:46

At 11/23/17 03:26 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: Hell yeah, dude. DD season 2 doesn't get enough credit.

Agreed. I think Im gonna rewatch Daredevil

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-23 17:34:29

At 11/23/17 03:41 PM, Zymbot wrote:
At 11/23/17 03:26 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote:
At 11/23/17 02:28 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Daredevil season 2 is the best thing in the entire MCU, IMO. Beats the shit out of all the movies. And Bernthal's Frank Castle was a major reason.
Hell yeah, dude. DD season 2 doesn't get enough credit.
I thought season 1 was a lot better. It started out great, but once Elektra and The Hand became the focus, over the Punisher, it became kinda weak to me.

I love season one, too. Both are my favorite thing in the MCU. But I actually really dug the Hand stuff and stick in DD s2 as well. I really liked JJ and Cage, too.

I heard The Hand don't get that much less boring in Iron Fist and Defenders either.

Well, if you didn't like them before, I guess. And Sigourney Weaver as the leader isn't that great, to be honest. Madame Gao really stands out as a villain among the fingers of the Hand. The other "fingers" are pretty forgettable but I like her a lot. I'm only on episode 5, but she's actually lacking in Defenders. I still think it's a cool show, though, mainly because of the heroes (and Stick). Fist is actually cool even if his own show kinda sucked (again, it had its moments and Harold Meachum and Gao were good villains in that). I'm enjoying it.

You know what really bugs me? Marko Zaror had a role in the Defenders, but he died at the very beginning of the first episode, and I mean the very beginning. He had like 3 minutes of screentime. What a waste of a badass martial artist/stuntman/actor.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-23 20:13:45

At 11/17/17 11:39 AM, SevenSeize wrote:

I've binged it twice and I loved it... Sure there were some decisions that go a bit out of character (based on War Zone and a few other depictions of The Punisher), but there is no denying the fact that Jon Bernthal IS Frank Castle.

I liked Frank Castle and his friend who runs the support group (he did an amazing job). I'd recommend it to both Casual and Hardcore Punisher Fans :)

Robo Rick's Magical Carpet Ride

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-23 20:50:32

At 11/23/17 08:13 PM, RoboRick wrote:
At 11/17/17 11:39 AM, SevenSeize wrote:
I've binged it twice and I loved it... Sure there were some decisions that go a bit out of character (based on War Zone and a few other depictions of The Punisher), but there is no denying the fact that Jon Bernthal IS Frank Castle.

I liked Frank Castle and his friend who runs the support group (he did an amazing job). I'd recommend it to both Casual and Hardcore Punisher Fans :)

I'd only consider myself a casual fan, in that I haven't read a lot of the books.

But I feel Bernthal nailed it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-24 19:53:09

I'm rewatching DD now. I need more Punisher asap.

BBS Signature

Response to The Punisher on Netflix 2017-11-24 21:54:36

At 11/24/17 02:43 AM, Zymbot wrote:
At 11/23/17 03:41 PM, Zymbot wrote:

I thought season 1 was a lot better. It started out great, but once Elektra and The Hand became the focus, over the Punisher, it became kinda weak to me.

Also because season 1 had a lot more Wilson Fisk, who's my favorite character in all these shows.

He's gonna be in season 3.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature