00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NeonWolfNate just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Thoughts on PATREON?

330 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Thoughts on PATREON? 2017-10-30 10:43:55

I making a video about animation and one of the topics is Patreon! What do you guys think about the service of Patreon? How can the service help creators and how can it harm creators. While it's quite easy to think of some pros for Patreon I would like to hear some cons about the service. Let me know!

"In matters of taste there can be no disputes."

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on PATREON? 2017-10-30 16:59:12 (edited 2017-10-30 16:59:34)

Ayy ozone
I don't know too much about it, so all I'll say is this: I love how it gives artists the ability to make money from their fans so that they can pay their bills and eat. On the flip side, though, it's so easy to abuse. Kind of like Kickstarter in a sense. People can just take money from their fans while they can sit around and do nothing. It doesn't happen too often though, and other than that it's great.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on PATREON? 2017-10-30 19:53:19

Hi OzoneOrange,

One of the biggest problems with patrion it doesn't except one of payments. It forces your fans to pay monthly regularly no matter how small amount that might be.

A factor why potential people that could of supported you would dropout from Patrion. Not saying that Patrion is a bad idea in fact it's still a stable platform for contributors. It just comes down to how you view it.

Kind regards,

Wondermeow

BBS Signature

Response to Thoughts on PATREON? 2017-10-31 05:01:00 (edited 2017-10-31 05:02:20)

@Oddlem @Wondermeow

Thanks for the response guys!

Yeah, delivering and payment seem to be a sore spot for sure! While I haven't heard of anyone going to Kickstarter levels of tomfoolery it seems that it's almost bound to happen or is happening right now and we don't know about it.

Some other kind folk mentioned to me that another problem found with Patreon could be on the content producer side to keep making content. consistently making content to justify monthly or video to video or art piece to art piece payments.

Transparency seems to be a thing too where people hide how much money they make every month. I don't know how others feel about this, but it doesn't sit well with me. It feels like people have something to hide or they feel if people did see how much they made they wouldn't donate (?)
IDK

Also, I like Patreon campaigns that act more as a tip jar with only 3-4 tiers of something like 1$, 5$, 10$, 20$ instead of bonker numbers like: $5, $10, $50, $100, $500! While some people definitely deserve the money, I just find it funny when someone has a 500$ tier when they haven't even got any money donated to their 1$ or 5$ tier yet.

"In matters of taste there can be no disputes."

BBS Signature