00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TecNoir just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Boo Hoo Abortion

619 Views | 9 Replies

Boo Hoo Abortion 2017-10-23 17:20:41

(Decided to post this in general because it's more philosophical than a debate on policy.)

It seems every time people argue over abortion it boils down to one group that believes that fetuses are human beings and another saying that they aren't. As someone that isn't entirely convinced life exists at all, I find the argument to be rather pedantic, leading my question to be more along the lines of... So what?

Even if you want to argue that life is worth protecting, you've sentenced someone to death by the time you've conceived them. If your goal is to minimize death, the ONLY option you have is not to bear children. Literally the ONLY counterargument to this is the idea that cutting a life short deprives that person of having experiences, but this is a moot point because such an argument comes out of someone's personal dogma and beliefs - beliefs that your unborn child has not been indoctrinated with yet. In other words, such an argument projects a set of values onto a blank slate that has none. In fact, this argument really only makes sense if the individual in question has formed some idea of a long term goal - say, the toddler that wants to be a firefighter or astronaut. Anything before that and you're probably placing more value on a child's life than they place on their own.

What we call life has always existed on a totem pole. Mosquitoes have been shown to be excited for variable lengths of time when stimulated by air puffs, indicating that they have distinct affinities for fear - distinct personalities. Individuality. Of course, we don't value their lives because they don't physically resemble us. In fact most of us would probably rather stomp on an insect that tear a cute stuffed animal to bits. The same principle applies within our own species, where we sympathize more with people that look and behave the way we do while alienating the rest - this is where racism comes from. Zoom in even farther and you see how cliques distinguish themselves even in a homogeneous group of people.

The reason for peoples' empathy being selective seems pretty obvious to me: Dunbar's number. We simply lack the mental capacity to care about everyone we come into contact with. I guess what I'm saying is that we don't really care about each other as much as we say we do. We pretend to care about things like human rights because we see them as moral values through which we can validate ourselves, but ultimately our so-called ethics are more a reflection of how we want to be seen.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Boo Hoo Abortion 2017-10-23 17:37:37

At 10/23/17 05:20 PM, Kwing wrote:
The reason for peoples' empathy being selective seems pretty obvious to me: Dunbar's number. We simply lack the mental capacity to care about everyone we come into contact with. I guess what I'm saying is that we don't really care about each other as much as we say we do. We pretend to care about things like human rights because we see them as moral values through which we can validate ourselves, but ultimately our so-called ethics are more a reflection of how we want to be seen.

This seems pretty legit.

Going back into history, children weren't even given their adult names until they had been christened, meaning babies were not assigned a human identity until long after they could walk and talk.

The argument is that with a 50% child mortality rate, it simply didn't make sense to become emotionally attached to a baby that probably was going to die.

This is a song about death. It's on mandolin.

Hate is the first step to all solutions.

You will not end bigotry until you learn to hate it.

BBS Signature

Response to Boo Hoo Abortion 2017-10-23 17:54:55 (edited 2017-10-23 18:02:32)

Since this has already been brought up on the BBS a number of times before and I spent an enormous amount of time writing detailed arguments against abortion, I don't really want to spend that time re-writing it all again. See my posts here https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1398861/1

TL;DR preborn humans are sentient human lifeforms, who at some stages of gestation are already capable of perceiving pain. If you support abortion you basically support murder. If you are ok with murder, then there is something fundamentally wrong with you and you should probably be in prison or psychiatric care.

Also Planned Parenthood is literally founded by an evil, racist eugenicist and regularly publishes misleading or outright false information in order to bolster their profits from the abortion industry - their main source of income - which has also had a deeply damaging impact on society in general and has lead to a rapid degradation in family values and basic decency among youth

Also obligatory reminder that FUNKbrs is a drug addict psycho and everything he says is about as relevant as the ramblings of a mentally ill urine-drenched homeless guy on the subway platform.

P.S.
Life exists.

Response to Boo Hoo Abortion 2017-10-23 18:01:28

How would you like to be torn apart, limb from limb, by a giant with a giant set of tweezers?

If anything, that's worse than most modern forms of execution.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Boo Hoo Abortion 2017-10-23 18:03:31

At 10/23/17 06:01 PM, Painbringer wrote: How would you like to be torn apart, limb from limb, by a giant with a giant set of tweezers?

If anything, that's worse than most modern forms of execution.

Yeah shit is pretty barbaric. Glad to see more pro-life NG users coming out against abortion :)

Response to Boo Hoo Abortion 2017-10-23 18:15:58 (edited 2017-10-23 18:16:45)

At 10/23/17 05:54 PM, Dre wrote: TL;DR preborn humans are sentient human lifeforms, who at some stages of gestation are already capable of perceiving pain. If you support abortion you basically support murder. If you are ok with murder, then there is something fundamentally wrong with you and you should probably be in prison or psychiatric care.

Glad to know that dissent warrants taking people as political prisoners. The Soviets would have loved you. Your argument is basically that people that disagree with you are evil - or otherwise unqualified to speak.

Also Planned Parenthood is literally founded by an evil, racist eugenicist and regularly publishes misleading or outright false information in order to bolster their profits from the abortion industry - their main source of income - which has also had a deeply damaging impact on society in general and has lead to a rapid degradation in family values and basic decency among youth

If you're against eugenics can I assume that you also support universal health care? I can't think of anything more "evil" than enabling people to pass on genetic diseases only to deny them care. Unless your idea of good is churning out as many unhealthy and financially unstable people as possible (which I'm sure would do wonders for your so-called family values.)

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Boo Hoo Abortion 2017-10-23 18:17:49

At 10/23/17 06:15 PM, Kwing wrote: Glad to know that dissent warrants taking people as political prisoners. Your argument is basically that people that disagree with you are evil - or otherwise unqualified to speak.

I never said that people who disagree with me are evil or unqualified to speak. However, I think the vast majority of sane people on Earth can agree that if you disagree that murder is evil, then you're evil or crazy and should probably be locked up in prison or a psych ward.

If you're against eugenics can I assume that you also support universal health care? I can't think of anything more "evil" than enabling people to pass on genetic diseases only to deny them care. Unless your idea of good is churning out as many unhealthy and financially unstable people as possible (which I'm sure would do wonders for your so-called family values.)

I'm against universal health care because I think it would lead to a severe decline in healthcare quality. This isn't really on-topic but I'd be happy to discuss why I feel this way in detail in a separate thread.

Response to Boo Hoo Abortion 2017-10-23 18:30:53

At 10/23/17 06:03 PM, Dre wrote: Glad to see more pro-life NG users coming out against abortion :)

Eh, I'm neither "pro-life" nor "pro-choice."

The subject is controversial, and whether I'm okay with it depends on a number of factors.

But I'm no fan of late-term abortions.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Boo Hoo Abortion 2017-10-23 18:32:00

At 10/23/17 06:30 PM, Painbringer wrote: Eh, I'm neither "pro-life" nor "pro-choice."

The subject is controversial, and whether I'm okay with it depends on a number of factors.

But I'm no fan of late-term abortions.

Ok, fair enough.

Response to Boo Hoo Abortion 2017-10-24 17:46:50

I used to be on the fence about it and slightly leaning towards pro choice, but honestly the whole topic is a rabbit hole that I definitely don't want to get into. I'm pretty much like "whatever you want, doesn't affect me" but the only thing I disagree with are the kinds of people that show pictures of dead fetuses on the street. Like yeah, we get it, a dead fetus, do you want a pat on the back or something?