00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BUNKUMBITCH just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sleeping in a hammock

1,021 Views | 22 Replies

Sleeping in a hammock 2017-08-07 21:31:18

There's something to be said for sleeping outdoors. It acclimatizes you to outside air, reduces allergies, helps reset your diurnal cycle, and helps you stay more comfortable more of the time.

To some, a hammock is more comfortable than a standard flat bed. Because it conforms to the body, it reduces pressure points. This helps keep you from tossing and turning in your sleep to relieve pressure, and ultimately ends in a better night's sleep.

I live in the South, and at night in the summer it is often warm enough to sleep outside without a blanket. I have a good bugnet, and am seriously considering switching to sleeping outdoors while the weather is nice. I slept outside quite a bit this spring, and I want to train to do a long distance bike tour on which I'll spend my nights in a hammock.

Any of ya'll into hammocking? Apparently there's a huge community for it.

This is a song about death. It's on mandolin.

Hate is the first step to all solutions.

You will not end bigotry until you learn to hate it.

BBS Signature

Response to Sleeping in a hammock 2017-08-08 21:22:10

I honestly hate sleeping outside, Mainly because I do not really like the thought of dirt and bugs being around me.

Even with a bug net.

Response to Sleeping in a hammock 2017-08-09 08:58:37

As long as you have a good bug net, then yep, I'd do it.

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

Response to Sleeping in a hammock 2017-08-09 09:35:50

At 8/9/17 09:06 AM, MPPlantOfficial wrote: butt, can you have sex on a hammock???

Answer: "As long as you have a good bug net, do it."

Think about it logically. If I'm standing beside the hammock, and she's gently supported by the diaphanous fabric, her legs draped lugubriously over one side, her arched back perpendicularly intersecting the center line, exposing her decadent pulchritude as she floats above the ground as if suspended by strands of gossamer. I could guide her body to a weightless supernova of passion, taking her to the closest sensation to that of heaven astrologically possible.

And by that I mean I could use the hammock for a sex swing. Adjust it to cock level, then let the natural swinging motion do the work.

You know, some alpha male fratboy shit.

BBS Signature

Response to Sleeping in a hammock 2017-08-09 10:54:59

At 8/9/17 10:39 AM, Sekhem wrote: i spent more than a 1000$ on a nice mattress

i ain't ever sleeping outside

I could sell you a bag of cheetos for $1000.

That doesn't actually mean those cheetos taste like $1000

It might mean you're a sucker, though.

Don't feel bad; there's another one of you born every minute.

BBS Signature

Response to Sleeping in a hammock 2017-08-09 14:12:24

At 8/9/17 11:15 AM, Sekhem wrote:
believe me, i used to sleep on trap mattresses

they are not even close to all being the same

you should try sleeping on a six-layer serta mattress

My argument isn't that top end mattresses aren't awesome.

My argument is that they're unnecessarily expensive because they're designed from the wrong standpoint.

In nature, apes sleep in nests made of suspended foliage that gently cradle and sway them like a mother's arms.

Attempting to achieve this effect with a mattress of any type simply isn't possible.

For 5% of the cost, and this of course an estimate, you're getting 75% of the benefit.

A good hammock is $50-75. A terrible mattress is $200. A great mattress is $1,000, which seems legit. If for $50-75 you can get the same quality of sleep as a $750 mattress, that's pretty economically strong.

Hammocks are also cleaner than mattresses, because they can be easily washed. A $1 taco could easily destroy a $1k mattress with a little help from Montezuma, but that same case of granny apple quick steps that destroyed a mattress beyond repair could be remedied by a standard washing machine in a hammock.

Also, you can't carry that $1k mattress with you in your pocket. However, a $50 dollar hammock can do exactly that, and give the same quality sleep no matter where it is set up.

A hammock frame is no more cumbersome than a bedframe, but is much more flexible and space efficient for indoor use.

However, if you were to offer to give me a top end 6 layer serta, I would not be too stuck up to sleep on it.

BBS Signature

Response to Sleeping in a hammock 2017-08-09 23:44:15

At 8/7/17 09:31 PM, FUNKbrs wrote: There's something to be said for sleeping outdoors. It acclimatizes you to outside air, reduces allergies, helps reset your diurnal cycle, and helps you stay more comfortable more of the time.

I agree with all this, but I don't like hammocks. They tend to cause me to curl up when I really want to just lay out flat.

A decent air mattress does the trick for me. I now live in Delaware, which has some of the most even temperatures you can find.

I often sleep out on the back porch on an air mattress, and the natural sounds of the night put me to sleep almost instantly.

It's screened, so I don't have to worry about predatory insects like mosquitoes.

One thin sheet, no big comforter.

But, yeah, sleeping outdoors is great.

Threads to remember: Dickneck, Penicorns, SirTom93's School Incident, and EyeLovePoozy's thread about his job.

Response to Sleeping in a hammock 2017-08-10 12:19:42

At 8/10/17 11:11 AM, FireFoxxy wrote:
No. I don't feel comfortable in them. I always feel that they will break and drop me whilst I sleep.

This takes a while to get over. Developing confidence in your knots and set up takes time; seems reasonable that could be a barrier to getting into it.

I got hooked using a bedsheet hammock made with parachord, which I never expected to hold my weight. It was so comfortable though, I eventually found what works for me.

For instance, a drawstring tarp can hold a thousand pounds, and already has the slot in the side for a rope. It will hold you, and if you have high rated ropes, so will they.

BBS Signature

Response to Sleeping in a hammock 2017-08-10 14:34:37

At 8/10/17 01:50 PM, CoolCatDaddio wrote: theres too many bugs around me to enjoy a hammock

This is why I mentioned a bugnet as a prerequisite in the opening post.

cannot tell if trolling or legit has a reading disability

BBS Signature

Response to Sleeping in a hammock 2017-08-10 17:20:42

At 8/10/17 02:34 PM, FUNKbrs wrote:
At 8/10/17 01:50 PM, CoolCatDaddio wrote: theres too many bugs around me to enjoy a hammock
This is why I mentioned a bugnet as a prerequisite in the opening post.

cannot tell if trolling or legit has a reading disability

He may have been talking about the sounds.
Some of the fuckers around here can really get to screamin'.
I'm sure it's worse in the South, though if you grew up there, I'm sure you would be used to it.

Response to Sleeping in a hammock 2017-08-10 17:27:26

I could never sleep out at night because of the bugs and wild animals. I live backed into a forest with mountain lines, turkeys, deer (even though they wouldn't bother me), raccoons, and other animals who I wouldn't want to be asleep around.

That being said, I've fallen asleep outside during the afternoon multiple times in a hammock and find that I do sleep much better than when on a bed. In fact, I could probably do without the bed and sleep in a hammock inside more comfortably.

Response to Sleeping in a hammock 2017-08-10 17:42:12

At 8/10/17 05:20 PM, thenoodge wrote:
He may have been talking about the sounds.
Some of the fuckers around here can really get to screamin'.
I'm sure it's worse in the South, though if you grew up there, I'm sure you would be used to it.

Crickets, cicadas, bullfrogs, owls, the occasional wild dog or coyote howl have always helped me falls asleep. It's like nature's white noise generator.

Your mileage may vary, naturally.

At 8/10/17 05:27 PM, Fro wrote: I could never sleep out at night because of the bugs and wild animals. I live backed into a forest with mountain lines, turkeys, deer (even though they wouldn't bother me), raccoons, and other animals who I wouldn't want to be asleep around.

The first time I solo wildcamped I was worried about these kinds of encounters, but most wild animals look at a sleeping human in the same way they would look at a sleeping bear; not worth the risk of fucking with. Even in the deep woods the only thing that's woken me up has been a couple deer.

I've never even had an animal take a swipe at my food when camping, which people told me I should expect. I left a fire cooked jambalaya with andouille sausage wrapped in a foil roaster out one night it didn't get so much as an ant in it.

That being said, I've fallen asleep outside during the afternoon multiple times in a hammock and find that I do sleep much better than when on a bed. In fact, I could probably do without the bed and sleep in a hammock inside more comfortably.

Testify. Spread that good sleep gospel brother.

BBS Signature

Response to Sleeping in a hammock 2017-08-10 17:54:42

At 8/10/17 05:42 PM, FUNKbrs wrote:
At 8/10/17 05:27 PM, Fro wrote: I could never sleep out at night because of the bugs and wild animals. I live backed into a forest with mountain lions, turkeys, deer (even though they wouldn't bother me), raccoons, and other animals who I wouldn't want to be asleep around.
The first time I solo wildcamped I was worried about these kinds of encounters, but most wild animals look at a sleeping human in the same way they would look at a sleeping bear; not worth the risk of fucking with. Even in the deep woods the only thing that's woken me up has been a couple deer.

It would be interesting. It gets quite cold here at night too though. Where I live the wild animals are very accustomed to people. I walk to work and pass at least 20 deer and numerous turkey every day. They don't even flinch. I can literally reach out and touch the deer.

It's the mountain lions that seem to come down this time a year and eat a bunch of the small dogs out of people's yards that I'd be nervous about. Who knows what they'd do.

Response to Sleeping in a hammock 2017-08-10 19:59:48

At 8/10/17 05:54 PM, Fro wrote:
It would be interesting. It gets quite cold here at night too though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5WzCjCQgDo

Where I live the wild animals are very accustomed to people. I walk to work and pass at least 20 deer and numerous turkey every day. They don't even flinch. I can literally reach out and touch the deer.

That sounds pretty awesome.

It's the mountain lions that seem to come down this time a year and eat a bunch of the small dogs out of people's yards that I'd be nervous about. Who knows what they'd do.

Surely a small fire would make them steer clear at the very least. You'd think mountain lions wouldn't consider humans food by the smell at least.

BBS Signature

Response to Sleeping in a hammock 2017-08-11 10:54:05

At 8/10/17 07:59 PM, FUNKbrs wrote:
At 8/10/17 05:54 PM, Fro wrote:
It would be interesting. It gets quite cold here at night too though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5WzCjCQgDo

Point taken. I'll take the 50 degree nights here anytime.

Where I live the wild animals are very accustomed to people. I walk to work and pass at least 20 deer and numerous turkey every day. They don't even flinch. I can literally reach out and touch the deer.
That sounds pretty awesome.

It is. It's so prevalent to my area that it was the subject of the last safety meeting we had at work.

Surely a small fire would make them steer clear at the very least. You'd think mountain lions wouldn't consider humans food by the smell at least.

I live/work at an University. Fire's are against the rules. :( I can't even own a grill, which is detrimental to my life. I can understand not letting the students have them, but I must be slightly more responsible than them right? My back yard is considered a nature reserve and the area is on a high fire alert right now because we haven't had rain since... winter maybe?

I have literally nothing in my back yard right now. I wouldn't mind making/purchasing a hammock stand, but part of me wants to jump the fence into the woods and find a secluded place to set it up higher in a tree. Every weekend off with some beer and a book would be awesome.

Response to Sleeping in a hammock 2017-08-12 00:58:59

Seems like you've got life figured out. nice.

Response to Sleeping in a hammock 2017-08-29 16:02:20

At 8/29/17 03:23 PM, RightTime wrote: There's not really anywhere I could hang a hammock at the moment and the weather around here is really irregular according to the seasons. I'd like to try it one of these days just to see if I'd like it, but it would have to be under some cover since getting rained on isn't my idea of a fun time. I've tried sleeping outside in a sleeping bag though while camping and that's quite nice.

Hammock stands are pretty affordable, and failing that, easy to make. One of the sweet things about hammocks is the support structure for a hammock also makes a good support structure for a camping ridgeline, which can be used to support a lightweight tarp.

One of the best night's sleep I ever had was under a tarp in a hammock during a thunderstorm while bike camping.

BBS Signature

Response to Sleeping in a hammock 2017-08-31 10:41:28

At 8/31/17 07:41 AM, RightTime wrote:
Speaking of cocoons, anyone else remember that movie?

Ron Howard is one of the few child star success stories.

I still find the lack of black characters in the Andy Griffith Show disturbing.

However, I have no doubt had you asked Ron, he'd swear by hammocks.

BBS Signature

Response to Sleeping in a hammock 2017-08-31 19:49:17

I love hammocking. I have the wraparound kind you take hiking or camping. I don't think I could sleep outside in it because of the noise in the area where I live though. I love my sleep too much. I don't want to be forced to get up when the sun rises during the weekend and the kids outside stir tho

BBS Signature

Response to Sleeping in a hammock 2017-08-31 19:52:18

I used to fall off on those things.

Response to Sleeping in a hammock 2017-09-03 10:57:15

At 9/2/17 04:02 AM, Hacklyn wrote: Indoor hammock?

I don't have anywhere to hang it in my house. Believe me, I've looked hah

BBS Signature

Response to Sleeping in a hammock 2017-09-03 13:28:20

At 8/7/17 09:31 PM, FUNKbrs wrote: reduces allergies

Nonsense.

helps you stay more comfortable more of the time.

Nonsense. Or just arguing your conclusion basically.

hammock is more comfortable than a standard flat bed. Because it conforms to the body, it reduces pressure points.

That just means it's giving zero support. The points of highest pressure.. hurt.

This helps keep you from tossing and turning in your sleep to relieve pressure, and ultimately ends in a better night's sleep.

It precludes tossing and turning due to pressure and results in discomfort.

I live in the South, and at night in the summer it is often warm enough to sleep outside without a blanket. I have a good bugnet, and am seriously considering switching to sleeping outdoors while the weather is nice. I slept outside quite a bit this spring, and I want to train to do a long distance bike tour on which I'll spend my nights in a hammock.

Prepare to hate it.

There's a pretty sizable community for having sex with dolphins as well.

Camping is the only real time to sleep outdoors. It's fun because you're with people. It's definitely not comfortable.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to Sleeping in a hammock 2017-09-04 12:06:59

At 9/4/17 04:57 AM, Hacklyn wrote: Hang it on top of your bed. You get a double decker bed. Also you turn into insta-spider food every morning if you use the bed. (If you already use the hammock technically you're already caught.)

Mmmm. I have a canopy bed.

BBS Signature