00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

dreamygf just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

August COTM: Untraditional Art!

27,598 Views | 299 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-07 14:09:45

Three work in progress pictures and the final picture to show how it all came together. The first picture shows the pattern I drew. The second shows the pieces I cut out of wood using a scroll saw. The third shows the painting and layering of the pieces. I painted them with acrylic paint because I knew nothing else would look as good and I feel the whole piece is unconventional enough even with the standard paint. And then finally all together and with a nice wood frame added around the outside. I call it "Ah, This meal comes with dessert."

This is my bearded dragon Jake! I made the portrait out of salt and pepper. The process was super fun (and messy) it was fairly cheap and affordable for me and I used mod podge to keep everything in place, something that took awhile was not gonna be dumped off haha...enjoy! (I love any kind of constructive criticism/responses!)

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-07 15:00:00

WOW VictoriaPeterson!! Very creative and well done!!

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-07 15:02:26

My piece of untraditional art is a dragon created with duck tape, a glass cabochon and nail polish. This is the finished piece.

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-07 21:44:29

The aftermath of my picture. Leaving this in my room did wonders for my allergies.

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-08 02:23:09

Hello, everyone, I'm new on Newgrounds and I hope I'm posting my Wip right but wanted show here my Wip. I mostly post on my Instagram since it easy but i do hope post here to keep up with rules. C:

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-08 14:15:00

Just a reupload from my account here. Forgot to put it over here lol. #B-UNTRADITIONAL

Here's my mid development of the art. http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/search/author/boxzie

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-08 18:07:44

So this is my still not finished work
I used coffee, sugar and other stuff.
It's funny that there's a glue stick there, but i didn't even use it because it didn't work
So yeah that my work ^^

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-08 18:08:42

W.I.P. of my project yaaay (it's basically glue and a continuous piece of string)

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-08 23:56:25

At 7/31/17 12:27 AM, Fedora-Master wrote: This is a WIP landscape made out of food and dressings
(Sorry that its upside down)

That's rather interesting. Does that mean when you're finished you could potentially eat it, or use it a topping for something? Eatable artwork! :D

B-UNTRADITIONAL
A Piece made of Really really dry eyeliners and eyeshadow! Used a Q-tip to blend the eyeshadows (He's the little fox guy that Adele morse made a while back and it went viral.)
WIP Photo: http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/maddiefayeart/b-untraditional

UNTRADITIONAL
Well this is my ''mid-development'' timelapse of my entry ^^ I hope it is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp8zx3VG2v0

(btw my youtube name is -Bloody Bunny-)

I can't name my newgrounds bloodybunny for some reasons.....? XD

B-UNTRADITIONAL
I call it 'BURST OF COLOUR' (very original.... I Know). My medium for this is just nail polish. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OTHER ARTISTS OUT THERE.

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-09 14:53:30

WIP of my Angry Gnome Warlock in nail polish. I'm coming down from a high off the fumes :D

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-09 15:56:43

Are crayons classed as untraditional?

Here's my WIP. It's turning out ok i guess...

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-10 05:28:16

Finally done! heres my WIP picture

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-10 10:19:53

At 8/9/17 11:27 PM, remiiko wrote: Heyo everyone! Hope you guys are having fun too : )
So aa, this is my process!
I decided to do an unconventional cat character design, by combining her with a sakura tree! : D
I wanted to paint the whole thing with just tea (since I was thinking about what stains clothes) , but there wasn't enough variation so I boiled some strawberries, blueberries and spinach to make 'vibrant pink', 'meh purple' and 'disappointment green'.
I chopped up the fruit and spinach, mixed them with water in a saucepan and kept heating and cooling them until they looked ok when I painted on the paper, so it was kinda trail and error.
After that I strained the solid parts out and poured the juice(?) into a used lamington container and kept them in the fridge until I had to paint in case they went off.
Originally I tried to make yellow too, with mango and orange, but when I painted it on it just kinda left a sticky gross mess so I had to go without it, although it did smell good ahaha.
I used peppermint tea and asam bold tea mixed with strawberry for her skin, and her hair is spinach colour!
The pigments were weak so I had to layer heaps to get a vibrant result, so if you wanna try this method I advise using a hair-dryer to save time (it took a full day to paint w/ hair-dryer, but I'm not a traditional/watercolour artist so I don't know if that is normal).
I lined her with waterproof pens (Millenium 005 and Faber Castell PITT artist pen S for the thick outline) and the paper is 300gsm.
So yeah! hope you like her : D

Never occurred to me to use a hair dryer to speed up the process. The last two times I worked on a traditional piece I was outside on a breezy day. Great for drying but terrible for my watercolor pans.

Would've also been nice if I had waterproof ink to work with too. This looks really nice and more organized than what I was doing. My mind was constantly changing and never occurred to me to layer the tea to get a darker color.

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-10 11:50:41

At 8/8/17 06:07 PM, MagmaRaccoon wrote: So this is my still not finished work
I used coffee, sugar and other stuff.
It's funny that there's a glue stick there, but i didn't even use it because it didn't work
So yeah that my work ^^

Yeah i forgot to tell that to correct the drawing i used a spoon, heck the whole drawing i did with a spoon xD

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-10 14:12:25

i am making stuff with shower gel ,shaving cream and food coloring

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-10 15:33:14

Here is the time lapse of my work!!
https://youtu.be/QYd1xLyy5YU

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-10 19:02:42

Decided to ditch my last idea and paint the same drawing in tea.

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-10 20:23:24

WIP of my submission "NeverLetMeGo" with basic collage materials

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-10 20:24:38

My WIP

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-10 21:41:12

Using colored sand and some melted makeups, glues, now my room is cluttered with too many sands, sticky makeup and glues..

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-10 22:42:32

Here's my work in progress, first time I'm entering this, best of luck to all of you!

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-11 00:02:37

This is my work in progress made of crushed peppers and parlors beads. It's suppose to be a torchic.

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-11 10:31:15

Here is the WIP of my piece. Really tested my nail art and painting skills with this one!

Response to August COTM: Untraditional Art! 2017-08-11 17:18:57

Well I have a video of progress....but it's not time lapsed, just me doing updates as i work on it....i hope that it's ok.
https://youtu.be/bT4CMWEJDb8

Hi Jazza, here's the WIP of my "untraditional" submission. As you can see, firstly, I made a rough sketch to know where to draw/wash, then, I began by placing some tools (a bucket, a bike's wheel, some cloth, plastic, agriculture tools - to do specially the eyelashes - and even some bookshelves XD), to make sure I didn't wash there, finally it was just washing really carefully and, of course, adjusting the pressure of the water, according to the light and shadow (sorry for this really long sentence). Oh, the last picture has a 12in/30cm ruler, in order for you to be aware of the dimensions of it. Hope you like it!