00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Care2mchBEAR just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Noob question: Demo Reel Content

1,231 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Noob question: Demo Reel Content 2017-05-15 21:45:24

As someone who has podcasted for a long time and has kept a sort of vague company with people in the vo business, I know that a demo reel is a must. But here's something I don't know:

If I've never done any vo work, what do I include in my demo reel? Do I make up fake clients? Do I just do different deliveries of multiple self-created scripts? Something else?

Thanks in advance.

Response to Noob question: Demo Reel Content 2017-05-15 22:47:33

At 5/15/17 09:45 PM, tannercampbell wrote: As someone who has podcasted for a long time and has kept a sort of vague company with people in the vo business, I know that a demo reel is a must. But here's something I don't know:

If I've never done any vo work, what do I include in my demo reel? Do I make up fake clients? Do I just do different deliveries of multiple self-created scripts? Something else?

Thanks in advance.

Watch this video: https://youtu.be/MOvG6Zk-r98?t=26s

Okay done, all the advice you need.

What, not satisfied with this lazy answer? Fine.

Your character demo reel is a showcase of the variety of characters and emotions you're exceptional at.
Here are the general guidelines:
• Your lines have to sound like they come from an actual script. You can make your own scripts, but it's better to use scripts from projects you've done.
• Length should be between 60-80 seconds. Any shorter or longer, and no serious director will consider it.
• You can do different voices if you want, but the focus should be the different characters and emotions.
• No impressions. No matter how accurate your impersonations, the originals did it best. We need to hear what you are capable of.

For your remaining questions, the answer is NO. Don't make up clients and don't repeat lines.

My advice for now is to audition for projects online. You can audition here on Newgrounds, on CastingCallClub, BehindTheVoiceActors, VoiceActingClub etc.

More information here: Complete Beginner's Guide To Voice Acting Online

Have fun!

Response to Noob question: Demo Reel Content 2017-05-16 21:00:52

This was a really nice and thoughtful response. Thank you.

Response to Noob question: Demo Reel Content 2017-05-19 10:27:57

The above response was great, but I would also advise you to also check out this site:
http://voiceacting.boards.net/

The discussion boards have amazing posts written by the founder, Kira Buckland (who started voiceover online and is now doing it as her job!). The amount of information there for beginning online voice actors is so so helpful.
There used to be the Voice Acting Alliance but unfortunately the site has gone down ( there was Years of resources on there hopefully someone brings it back up... I'd also check out reddits /r/voiceacting and r/recordthis - just search the question you have and chances are someone has answered it!
Best of luck :)

At 5/15/17 09:45 PM, tannercampbell wrote: As someone who has podcasted for a long time and has kept a sort of vague company with people in the vo business, I know that a demo reel is a must. But here's something I don't know:

Thanks in advance.

BBS Signature