00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

privateC2004 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Moldy bread

1,567 Views | 26 Replies

Moldy bread 2017-01-05 20:49:10

So I know we've had loaves of bread in our house, and it's about time for it to get bad. I decided to make croutons out of them, but I smelled it and it smelled moldy. So I consulted google and learned that it shouldn't be safe to eat the fact I smelled it to check for mold was a stupid idea. I smelt for it first because the bread doesn't look moldy. There is no visible signs of mold. I know mold are microscopic and would not be seen until they accumulate a lot. However, against what they said, I smelled ihem again anyways, and they don't smell moldy. Should I throw them away, or make croutons?

"I'm an Androgynous Misogynous" -- Billy the Fridge

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-05 21:11:54

At 1/5/17 08:55 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: A good way to check and see if your food is safe is to have a dog. Just feed a bite of food to the dog. If it dies, don't eat the food. If it lives, then eat away.

Except mold on food does not kill anything quickly, it does so overtime. By the time we can even know if the dog has died from it or not, mushrooms would grow. This defeats the point of needing to know right now.

Besides, here's an update, I found a loaf that had a small amount of visible mold in it. So I reluctantly threw them away.

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-05 21:40:22

I'd say don't risk it. Just because it doesn't have mold yet doesn't mean it hasn't gone bad- especially if it's already starting to smell funky.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-05 21:55:29

Moldy food can be potentially dangerous especially on soft foods.

Mold grows by way of something called Hypha. They're like little roots. So if you cut off the "bad parts" you still could be getting a mouth full of mold which might not kill you but it won't taste good and probably isn't very good for you.

When in doubt, throw it out.

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-05 22:24:37

At 1/5/17 09:55 PM, Mrccbirdguy wrote: Moldy food can be potentially dangerous especially on soft foods.

Mold grows by way of something called Hypha. They're like little roots. So if you cut off the "bad parts" you still could be getting a mouth full of mold which might not kill you but it won't taste good and probably isn't very good for you.

When in doubt, throw it out.

I've already threw it away. I thought it was my imagination and me being paranoid, but when I manage to see the mold on one after looking at each one a second time, I knew that I had to throw it away. Especially because bread aren't so dense that you can cut it off and not have have in the places it wasn't touching directly. Mold will go deep in the bread.

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-05 22:28:07

At 1/5/17 09:10 PM, D3KU wrote:
At 1/5/17 08:49 PM, Verspar wrote: Should I throw them away, or make croutons?
Croutons. What can go wrong with those?

They taste like poopy

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-05 22:47:55

TheQuietGamer wrote:

Bruh, nobody said survival wasn't a waiting game. It's all about preparation. If you need to know whether or not something is safe "right now" then it's already too late. You need to be prepared ahead of time.

I would hate to be the guy to feed the dog chocolate to know if it was poisonous.

At 1/5/17 10:10 PM, Zornuzkull wrote: Spoilage bacteria and mold isn't dangerous it could be covered in the stuff and you can still eat it...
I mean sure it's gonna taste like shit but you won't die or anything...

Classic Zornuzkull response. Like that chloroform to help treat a stuffy sinus that I didn't really have but felt because I listening to someone with a stuffy sinus.

At 1/5/17 10:28 PM, NightRaid-NG wrote:
At 1/5/17 09:10 PM, D3KU wrote:
Croutons. What can go wrong with those?

They taste like poopy

I can tell you've never had homemade croutons before. I enjoy the ones from the store, but I'm aware of their lack of quality.

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-05 23:20:15

Always trust your nose. If food smells spoiled or moldy or whatever, toss it. Better to be safe than sorry.

It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits.

BBS Signature

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-05 23:31:31

At 1/5/17 08:55 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: A good way to check and see if your food is safe is to have a dog. Just feed a bite of food to the dog. If it dies, don't eat the food. If it lives, then eat away.

Why would you encourage cruelty to an animal ---a crime by the way --- on this thread?

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-06 12:58:16

At 1/5/17 09:57 PM, Jurornumber3 wrote: I'm starving. We ain't had nothing but maggoty bread for three stinkin days!

It's all I can think about as well when discussing bad beard.

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-06 13:18:26

eating mold makes u gay

BBS Signature

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-06 14:49:52

You know, this might be very weird and I really don't know if it's a huge taboo for me to say this but...

*sigh*

...if my bread looks, smells or tastes bad, I throw it in the garbage.

Please forgive me guys, I have problems, I'm sorry...

BBS Signature

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-09 12:00:05

Last year I bought a pineapple upside down cake that was in the day old section our grocery store. Got it home and had some, and after a few bites I started noticing a taste. I looked and underneath the cake at the center it had started to get moldy. I ate a good amount so I figured I was in trouble, but it didn't affect me at all thankfully. Guess my immune system is in good shape.

That's right I like guns and ponies. NO NEW GUN CONTROL.

Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense.

BBS Signature

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-09 18:20:09

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-09 19:15:52

Live life on the edge. Take the chances. Go ahead and make your croutons, and if you get sick, you'll know better next time.

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-09 19:31:05

moldy bread
too much time at the computer
forgot to eat

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-10 01:18:31

Where can I find good chocolate?

BBS Signature

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-10 03:14:17

Should have made it into croutons before you decided to actually do it.

they would have probably been okay

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-10 20:00:48

It's a science experiment.

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-11 23:45:27

How the hell did this thread blow up? I've been gone for six days and this thread gradually gained posts. I've already thrown the bread away, to those who were wondering. Eventually, I saw mold on one of the bread and threw it away; so no croutons.

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-12 01:21:25 (edited 2017-01-12 01:24:53)

At 1/5/17 08:49 PM, Verspar wrote: So I know we've had loaves of bread in our house, and it's about time for it to get bad. I decided to make croutons out of them, but I smelled it and it smelled moldy. So I consulted google and learned that it shouldn't be safe to eat the fact I smelled it to check for mold was a stupid idea. I smelt for it first because the bread doesn't look moldy. There is no visible signs of mold. I know mold are microscopic and would not be seen until they accumulate a lot. However, against what they said, I smelled ihem again anyways, and they don't smell moldy. Should I throw them away, or make croutons?

Think about what croutons are for a second. Its garlic seasoned , burnt [or toasted old bread for you pesents] , cubed bread. Although it is true certain molds can be negated with high heats , the fact that you came to newgrounds for the answer leads me to belive that you have already got ahead and made them, got a teeny sick but otherwise was fine, dispite what you may say.

For what it's worth I have a culinary degree , and these forums are dead anymore.

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-12 01:23:34

Throw the bread away, dumbass

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-12 01:37:24 (edited 2017-01-12 01:37:37)

if it's smelly, don't put it in your belly
if it's got a bad odor, put rid it via the disposal's rotor
if it's mold, put it in the cold. if you're bold and it isn't to old you can amputate the moldy part but it it still might make you fart

BBS Signature

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-12 01:56:04 (edited 2017-01-12 02:00:29)

At 1/12/17 01:21 AM, Railroadkill wrote: Think about what croutons are for a second. Its garlic seasoned , burnt [or toasted old bread for you pesents] , cubed bread. Although it is true certain molds can be negated with high heats , the fact that you came to newgrounds for the answer leads me to belive that you have already got ahead and made them, got a teeny sick but otherwise was fine, dispite what you may say.

For what it's worth I have a culinary degree , and these forums are dead anymore.

I'm not too sophisticated in my cooking that I would consult a cooking forum, but I'm not a simpleton that I'd make the croutons even after seeing the mold. I was leaning toward throwing it away in the first place, but I didn't want to waste them. I consulted google first, before asking you guys. I was half-way into cutting all the bread where I picked up a loaf that was had a little bit of visible mold. I grabbed a bag full of nope and trashed it. I asked it on Newgrounds partially because I wanted everyone's opinion, but I also did it for the humor of what they'll say. (Like YellowisCOOL calling me a dumbass)

At 1/12/17 01:37 AM, S3C wrote: if it's smelly, don't put it in your belly
if it's got a bad odor, put rid it via the disposal's rotor
if it's mold, put it in the cold. if you're bold and it isn't to old you can amputate the moldy part but it it still might make you fart

beautiful. However bread is not one of those things you can amputate. It is not like cheese.

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-12 02:35:56

I am glad you threw the questionably moldy bread out.

If you would like to know a tip about moldy bread, keep reading this post!

Don't eat moldy bread!

BBS Signature

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-12 20:46:22

Eat the bread raw

BBS Signature

Response to Moldy bread 2017-01-14 01:58:43

Eat the mold its good for you... I think.

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature