00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

About Scouting. [Info]

16,221 Views | 36 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

About Scouting. [Info] 2017-01-04 16:57:28

Dear fellow users, chances are if you read this, you're new to the art forum and / or to the art portal.

Recently threads about the scouting system or people asking to be scouted popped up a little more than usually, so I decided to create a thread dedicated to the matter that hopefully pops up when you search for the term.

Generally I'd like to refer you to the Art Forum Rules:

Feel free to post your artwork in the forum to increase your chances of getting scouted and get feedback. However, keep all your pics in one thread, so that your work is not dispersed around the art forum. Also please don't request scouting / re-scouting, see Ornery's Handy Dandy Scouting Guide..

Note the last sentence: 1) Please don't ask to be scouted. 2) Check this handy guide, written by art and forum moderator @Ornery

Now some of you some might ask: "How will people notice me if my art doesn't show up in the portal?". Here's how.

1) People do check the unscouted section of the art portal every day. Chances are very high you'll get noticed.

2) Do not ask to be scouted (I'll repeat this several more times). While there are some artists you MIGHT scout you even though you asked, many artists will not, just because you asked for, begged for or even just hinted towards it. Yes, it might seem like nitpicking, but when an artist scouts you, he not only vouches for your art, but also for you as a person. Not following a simple rule or not even reading it in the first place doesn't speak for you. Alas, it generally hurts your chances to get an invite.

3) I recommend creating a personal showcase thread. People will take note of your existence AND might help you improve AND if you also post WIPs, they'll see if you are making progress AND see you're not an art thief, thus they don't need to double and triple check if you're valid, before vouching for you. Name your art thread after yourself, for extra recognition value. Post the art IN the thread via the "include image" button when posting, links are good but images directly in the thread gain you more attention.

4) Post, review and rate. Seriously, let it be known that you're here.

5) You need 4 art submissions before you can be scouted. Some people only submit one and wait to be scouted so the next art submissions will get more views. Thing is, no matter how spectacular your first submission is, by the wonders of web development, the option to scout you won't appear before there are 4 pieces.

"But, I did all you recommended and still didn't get a scout invite?"

Okay, I'll be honest here, probably your art isn't good enough in the eyes of those who checked it out. What can you do?:

1) Make your own thread if you haven't already and ask for SPECIFIC advice. If you just ask "how can I get better", it's difficult to help you.

2) Still don't ask to be scouted.

3) You made some progress and yet no invite? Maybe the older, less good art is making them wonder about the quality of future submissions. Delete old art, delete art with less effort put in. Sometimes I don't scout people with one questionable piece. For example: Photo backgrounds slapped on, decent linework filter raped to death, stock images/patterns sprawled all over, giant watermark overlays and so on.

4) Don't submit art that isn't your own creation, even if you got permission from the original artist. Stealing art is bad and might get you banned, but even posting it in the art portal with the consent of the creator is not allowed. That kind of art should rather be posted in a newspost. Like, "hey look what sonicfan1038372 on deviantartz drew for me!" Same applies if "someone from your team" drew it.

5) Check your notifications and inbox, of course. For that is where a scout invite would appear.

6) If you read the rules carefully, you might have noticed that you need 4 art submissions before someone CAN EVEN ATTEMPT to scout you. Now here's the tricky part: When you submit a drawing, in the submit form is a checkpoint reading "This is not a sketch. Please include it in the art portal." By default, that box is NOT CHECKED. You'll have to check it before submitting. Only then this specific piece will count towards your minimum 4 that make you eligible for scouting. Not sure wether you checked the box? If you can vote on a submission, you did, if not, then not. You can always press edit on a submission page to check and change the settings.

I am aware this recycles a lot of stuff that is covered in Ornery's Scouting Guide and endless other threads, but I felt it was appropriate to repeat some info in this thread.

To every art forum regular, who read this far, please add whatever useful info you have. Are there things that prevent you from scouting someone, despite their art being okay?

I hope this is of some help for new artists on Newgrounds. Good luck and enjoy your stay!

BBS Signature

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2017-01-04 18:31:39 (edited 2017-01-04 18:36:08)

Thanks for taking the time to make this, I feel like a lot of new users have been asking about scouting recently so hopefully it'll be helpful to them.
Another thing I'd like to mention is also to try and be active with the community (taking part in the BBS, going on the New Users thread, leaving reviews on content, etc). Giving yourself more of a presence is never a bad thing.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2017-01-07 00:54:24

Aw this is great Lu! Orn's guide is wonderful but I've always felt the tone isn't very inviting to new users and I've never had the time to write my own version. Mind if I put it on the art101 account with credit?

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2017-01-07 01:15:58

At 1/7/17 12:54 AM, radiodark wrote: Aw this is great Lu! Orn's guide is wonderful but I've always felt the tone isn't very inviting to new users and I've never had the time to write my own version. Mind if I put it on the art101 account with credit?

Thanks for the positive feedback. Orn's guide covers more info, too, but I tried focusing on questions from users I remembered from the last months.

I don't mind it at all. Feel free to post it there and if you think it misses something or needs editing here and there, feel free too. No credit necessary. After all, much of this is recycled from other places.

BBS Signature

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2019-03-14 01:36:17

Thanks for letting us know how to get scouted, also i wish everyone the best of luck on getting scouted too~ ^_^ <3

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2019-04-02 07:01:15

Does this only apply to the Art Portal?

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2019-04-02 12:51:05

At 4/2/19 07:01 AM, cmbcoolplayer wrote: Does this only apply to the Art Portal?

Yes. The Audio Portal may have similar rules but you get scouted separately for both.

peskytarian

BBS Signature

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2019-09-15 20:24:38 (edited 2019-09-15 20:25:09)

But uhhhh how do you visit the “unscouted” page? Where is it? On mobile, for reference.

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2019-09-16 01:47:16

At 9/15/19 08:24 PM, Kerriska wrote: But uhhhh how do you visit the “unscouted” page? Where is it? On mobile, for reference.

I think the default in mobile is showing all artists. For mobile version if you want to only see unscouted (now undiscovered) artists, click the filters>showing>undiscovered artists.

peskytarian

BBS Signature

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2019-09-16 15:55:32

At 9/16/19 01:47 AM, MarckEllo wrote:
At 9/15/19 08:24 PM, Kerriska wrote: But uhhhh how do you visit the “unscouted” page? Where is it? On mobile, for reference.
I think the default in mobile is showing all artists. For mobile version if you want to only see unscouted (now undiscovered) artists, click the filters>showing>undiscovered artists.

Oh, okay. Yeah, I figured it out.

Also, would there be a way to make your account back to “unscouted”? Like if you change your mind about how public you want to be?

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2019-09-17 00:47:12

At 9/16/19 03:55 PM, Kerriska wrote:
At 9/16/19 01:47 AM, MarckEllo wrote:
Oh, okay. Yeah, I figured it out.
Also, would there be a way to make your account back to “unscouted”? Like if you change your mind about how public you want to be?

Not sure why you would want to get unscouted but you can probably ask a moderator to do it... or break some rules I suppose.

I guess an alternative is to post only to your art page by not checking the "this is not a sketch" option when submitting. This prevents the art to show up on the art portal.

peskytarian

BBS Signature

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2019-09-17 06:56:11 (edited 2019-09-17 07:02:20)

Yeah, that was great idea. Thanks for Appreciated!

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2019-09-17 16:23:20 (edited 2019-09-17 16:23:32)

At 9/17/19 12:47 AM, MarckEllo wrote:

Not sure why you would want to get unscouted but you can probably ask a moderator to do it... or break some rules I suppose.

Please never suggest this to anyone...

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2019-09-17 16:44:57

At 9/17/19 04:23 PM, Fro wrote:
At 9/17/19 12:47 AM, MarckEllo wrote:
Please never suggest this to anyone...

To clarify that's meant to be taken as a joke (I don't encourage intentional rule breaking) but I might not have worded it well. My bad, I'll be careful next time.

peskytarian

BBS Signature

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2019-09-18 03:30:30

i wonder how good is good enough to be scouted?

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2019-09-18 10:19:10

At 9/18/19 03:30 AM, Magi-arts wrote: i wonder how good is good enough to be scouted?

I don’t think I can give a perfect answer, but I think you just need decent anatomy, and some idea of how to pick colors. For example, I think my art just barely makes it.

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2019-09-18 14:49:58

At 9/18/19 10:19 AM, Kerriska wrote:
At 9/18/19 03:30 AM, Magi-arts wrote: i wonder how good is good enough to be scouted?
I don’t think I can give a perfect answer, but I think you just need decent anatomy, and some idea of how to pick colors. For example, I think my art just barely makes it.

i think your work is great!

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2019-09-18 16:38:42

At 9/18/19 02:49 PM, Magi-arts wrote:
At 9/18/19 10:19 AM, Kerriska wrote:
i think your work is great!

Thx. You can probably tell I’m a bit niche.

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2020-07-23 03:17:09

Excuse me, i don't know if you work ON ng specificly (mainly because i'm new) but this morning i got a messege telling me i was scouted (join the art portal 'r somethin) i accepted and it asked me again, but with a picture, i continued, and then it send me to my account where it read i was still not scouted. I went back and ckicked the link again, and it told me that the user didn't scout me. Did he take it back or did something else happen? Massive thanks in advance!

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2020-07-23 03:28:09

OOPS! That's how it works, i'm approved OH MY GOD!!!

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2021-01-23 12:42:44

This really gives that extra clarity! Thanks!

I'm still new at everything here and i'm actually a bit "scared" to scout others yet haha. I see someone who's work i like but i'm hesitant to scout them because of the whole risk of getting "castrated" if that person screws up. If i don't see any posts (news journals, forum posts etc.) i'm not sure if i should do it because i can't see what kind of person it is.

Am i overthinking it? ^^;

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2021-01-23 12:50:07

At 1/23/21 12:42 PM, MellonSnow wrote: This really gives that extra clarity! Thanks!

I'm still new at everything here and i'm actually a bit "scared" to scout others yet haha. I see someone who's work i like but i'm hesitant to scout them because of the whole risk of getting "castrated" if that person screws up. If i don't see any posts (news journals, forum posts etc.) i'm not sure if i should do it because i can't see what kind of person it is.

I’m kind of assuming that, if the scoutee just turns into a schizo out of the blue, you won’t be held responsible. I think the rules are meant for cases where you see weird content in the posts section, or if links to alternate sites contain concerning content. Then if shit hits the fan, you’d probably lose your scouting privileges for not erring on the side of caution.

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2021-01-23 13:25:17

At 1/23/21 12:50 PM, Kerriska wrote:
At 1/23/21 12:42 PM, MellonSnow wrote: This really gives that extra clarity! Thanks!

I’m kind of assuming that, if the scoutee just turns into a schizo out of the blue, you won’t be held responsible. I think the rules are meant for cases where you see weird content in the posts section, or if links to alternate sites contain concerning content. Then if shit hits the fan, you’d probably lose your scouting privileges for not erring on the side of caution.

Myeh, so just try to use common sense i guess huh :P Thanks~

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2021-03-12 11:43:46

I'm looking for a specific guideline/tutorial/whatever about SCOUTING people. I remember something relating to this, as if there's a right way and a wrong way, sort of.

Is it anywhere here?

→ "Thank you! Save this [coupon] for a FREE* magical potion/souvenier** on your next visit!"

* I may change my mind

** Depends on stock

BBS Signature

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2021-03-12 15:44:43

At 3/12/21 11:43 AM, Brewstice wrote: I'm looking for a specific guideline/tutorial/whatever about SCOUTING people. I remember something relating to this, as if there's a right way and a wrong way, sort of.

Is it anywhere here?

Are you talking about the one in the OP?

This is one?

[1] - [2]

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2021-03-13 10:03:08

At 3/12/21 03:44 PM, Nabella wrote: Are you talking about the one in the OP?

This is one?

Yeah! Thank you.

I just realized I got scouted too, somehow. Can't see who scouted me :l

→ "Thank you! Save this [coupon] for a FREE* magical potion/souvenier** on your next visit!"

* I may change my mind

** Depends on stock

BBS Signature

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2021-06-27 22:58:12

I got scouted today, and this for sure helped me understand what its all about. Thank you!

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2021-08-03 07:26:35 (edited 2021-08-03 07:26:54)

I hope this is of some help for new artists on Newgrounds. Good luck and enjoy your stay!

Rebumping this whole thread, new wave of people gotta knoooow!

hi :)

BBS Signature

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2021-08-03 08:13:14 (edited 2021-08-03 08:16:05)

Hey everyone, I see this thread gladly is still helpful to some users. Some things have changed in the art portal since I wrote this up. The unscouted section is now in a drop down menu called "undiscovered artists" and you can now also vote on unscouted art. So that’s no longer a way to check wether or not you have ticked the box "This is not a sketch, include in the Art Portal.".

BBS Signature

Response to About Scouting. [Info] 2022-11-02 14:36:16

At 11/1/22 08:30 PM, Lincolnwitt wrote: Hey!
I made a song I want to use in geometry dash here it is.
https://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1169179

You are looking for the Audio forum. I don’t know how scouting audio submissions works so I can’t offer any further guidance.