00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Utubj just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Favorite Underrated Games

548 Views | 15 Replies

Favorite Underrated Games 2016-08-27 13:46:29

What are your favorite games that you think are underratedand why? It can be indie and/or AAA games. For example, here is my list:
Eternal Ring for PS2: Awesome graphics for an early PS2 game and it challenges you to use strategy while attacking enemies and the magic system is fun and creative.
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops: I loved that you can recruit enemy soldiers into your units and play as them.
Syphon Filter: This is a third person shooter that reminds me of the 007 games.

"Get busy living or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne -The Shawshank Redemption

Response to Favorite Underrated Games 2016-08-27 14:14:29

Dex - It is a cyberpunk 2-D beat-em up that has an interesting plot with a good amount of character development.

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of their past are doomed to repeat them.

Response to Favorite Underrated Games 2016-08-27 14:25:45

Mobil Suit Gundam Zeonic Front. Very challenging, since you fight superior gundams, you have to be smart and quick and flank and stuff to kill them. You own 3 teams each with three zakus at max(not totally sure) or so and you plot their course on a map, and you play one of them. My favorite level is when you play as Char in his red Zaku and you have to sneak up on one of the best gundams by hiding around the building in the city. When the time is right you use his powerful axe to destroy the gundam. I never passed the last mission. I tried to play it a couple of years ago and I played worse then when I was a teen.

Jade Empire, made by Blizzard. Good story, good graphics for the time, fun mechanic in fighting that combines strategy with quickness. I beat the game several times but I could not get the girl to fall in love with me. Two girls actually, both very different in spirit. You can kill all the people that started in your quest at the beginning and middle, at the last second in the end. Open palm is the good side, I believe if I can remember Closed Fist is better at the begging and middle, but Open Palm comes at the end to be stronger. It's a game about good and evil and I think it's better than Fable. Well I got to go so I'll leave it at that for now.

Response to Favorite Underrated Games 2016-08-27 15:30:19

At 8/27/16 02:25 PM, MaynardHeart wrote:
Jade Empire

One of my favorite RPGs of all time.
Love me some Horse Demon style.

Response to Favorite Underrated Games 2016-08-27 15:31:42

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. I never hear anyone talking about it.

It's easily one of my favorite games.

"It's called consolidation; strengthen governments and corporations, weaken individuals."

I also draw stuff. Here's some of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Underrated Games 2016-08-27 16:54:46

I gotta go with this one :) in fact, I loved all of Mat Dickie's work :)

Robo Rick's Magical Carpet Ride

Drakkhen

Response to Favorite Underrated Games 2016-08-27 17:19:24

At 8/27/16 05:06 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote:
At 8/27/16 04:54 PM, RoboRick wrote: I gotta go with this one :) in fact, I loved all of Mat Dickie's work :)
Hard Time was awesome.

:)

Response to Favorite Underrated Games 2016-08-27 18:08:13

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/forum/15

^-- Video Game Forum

Also I don't quite think any of you get what underrated means. It doesn't mean "obscure games almost no one's heard of". To be underrated the game needs to at least be well-enough known, combined with having a generally less favorable reputation than what it deserves.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Rayman 3 for the GBA. Hardly anybody talks about it o: It plays much like the first game only with more interesting level design and gameplay. Muh dad bought it for me alongside the system back in '03. Still so guud c;

Castlevania: The New Generation - my favorite in the series; it has the smoothest controls, the best music and best gameplay. Maybe not that underrated, but it's kinda overlooked in the series, maybe because it's the only one on the Mega Drive. Also way more fun than Super Castlevania IV (:

Response to Favorite Underrated Games 2016-08-27 20:31:34

At 8/27/16 06:36 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote:
At 8/27/16 06:08 PM, NeonSpider wrote:
To be underrated the game needs to at least be well-enough known, combined with having a generally less favorable reputation than what it deserves.
Pretty much everyone has chosen games based off of that definition. I don't quite understand why you felt the need to tell us that.

I've never heard of any of those games nor do I know of anyone who has. I've never heard anyone talking about any of those games, good or bad. None of those games have had major advertisement or cultural clout or I would have seen or heard about them by now either from the ads or from parodies of them, etc...

In short, yeah those all fall under the obscure games category.

To be underrated

- It *has* to be well-known
- The general opinion is that it's not a very good game
- In fact it's a decent game

None of those met the "well-known" criteria. I can't judge based on the other two because I'm not familiar with any of those games.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Favorite Underrated Games 2016-08-27 23:20:19

At 8/27/16 11:12 PM, One-Eyed-Jack wrote:
At 8/27/16 05:06 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote:
At 8/27/16 04:54 PM, RoboRick wrote: I gotta go with this one :) in fact, I loved all of Mat Dickie's work :)
Hard Time was awesome.
The android game?
It was fucking epic.

It actually started off as a PC Game back in 2008... The mobile gaming era is what brought him to the main stream. I paid $10 for this game back in the day lol

Response to Favorite Underrated Games 2016-08-28 00:08:16

At 8/27/16 11:12 PM, One-Eyed-Jack wrote:
At 8/27/16 03:31 PM, YonusBahtzee wrote: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. I never hear anyone talking about it.

It's easily one of my favorite games.
Ironically mine too. I actually played it the other night on a emulator. lol.

Funny. I recently emulated it too.

"It's called consolidation; strengthen governments and corporations, weaken individuals."

I also draw stuff. Here's some of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Underrated Games 2016-08-28 00:13:41

literally everything in the Shin Megami Tensei series

"Death upon death... Nothing but death in this barren land. Who can we pray to? There are only demons and fiends here."

~The Journal of a Man Who Wandered into Another World

BBS Signature

Response to Favorite Underrated Games 2016-08-28 01:01:45

Def Jam Vendetta and fight for new york!

Response to Favorite Underrated Games 2016-08-28 02:51:56

I will always hold a soft spot for the Absalom RPG series by @Kinsman. They were some of the earliest well made games submitted to Newgrounds back in the day. For their time they were fairly well done, but they do show signs of age these days.

The first one is rough, but the last one is polished. The card deck stats system I always thought was cool, a shame the developer never made more.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/7780 - Absalom
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/10163 - Absalom 2
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/49003 - Absalom Dungeon