00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Johndewey just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Tips for beginner Flash animator?

454 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Tips for beginner Flash animator? 2016-06-18 15:54:50

I really want to make flash cartoons, I have tons of ideas for flash projects I wanna make and I can draw pretty decent cartoons, but I just dont know where to start, I tried looking for flash tutorials but they are mostly complicated, I know the basics of the actual program and how to use tweens and the timeline etc, but I just dont know how to begin a cartoon, if any veteran flash animators have any tips they could provide id greatly appreciate it, or if you know any great tutorials for beginners that would be awesome, thanks.

Response to Tips for beginner Flash animator? 2016-06-19 05:59:01

At 6/19/16 01:40 AM, CypressDahlia wrote: Hmm are you looking for help on how to use the program or help on how to write, script and storyboard a cartoon? Sounds like you want writing/storyboarding advice.

Yeah im looking for help on how to write, script storyboard a cartoon, like I said I know how to use the program and I know alot of the features

Response to Tips for beginner Flash animator? 2016-06-19 06:09:10

Videos
on
Storyboarding

As for writing that is something else entirely. I would take a look at some already premade scripts. Some big movie, tv, and comic writers put their scripts up for all to see. I would google some and read them to see how others format their scripts.

Response to Tips for beginner Flash animator? 2016-06-19 17:11:58

At 6/19/16 02:27 PM, CypressDahlia wrote:
At 6/19/16 05:59 AM, TheTipper wrote:
Yeah im looking for help on how to write, script storyboard a cartoon, like I said I know how to use the program and I know alot of the features
Ah I see, I see. Well most people start with an 'exposition shot', or a shot that clearly defines the setting of the cartoon. For example, if a movie takes place in a city, it usually starts with a panning or helicopter shot of the skyline, then some street shots or shots of traffic and subways. And depending on what kind of cartoon it is, you might want to go further into character exposition or just straight into action.

Yeah I know that but I mean the actual making of the cartoon, like do most people draw everything on flash or do they use other programs to draw backgrounds and stuff and then bring all that stuff into flash, basically I just don't know where to begin, I have made very short animations of stick figures before but I don't post that stuff for obvious reasons.

At 6/19/16 05:11 PM, TheTipper wrote: Yeah I know that but I mean the actual making of the cartoon, like do most people draw everything on flash or do they use other programs to draw backgrounds and stuff and then bring all that stuff into flash, basically I just don't know where to begin, I have made very short animations of stick figures before but I don't post that stuff for obvious reasons.

When beginning Flash it can be very overwhelming. You have a world of possibilities but unsure of what to do. The best thing to do, is actually understand that Flash is a tool, that's all. A tool that help you bring your ideas to life. If at any point you sit at a computer and you have no idea what you want to do there's a stage in your preproduction which has yet to be fulfilled.

At the start get inspired. Have a notepad (a physical one) and write your ideas down. Go nuts with it, everything that comes to your head get it down on paper. I have one by my bed, and i wake up with dreams and I write them down. Do it, because you wont remember them 30 mins later. Once you have all these ideas and inspiration you'll find you really love one or two of them. These are the ideas worth exploring and merging with others you have.

So for instance, when I started in stick animation over a decade ago I loved over the top block busters. I'm a sucker for it. So what were the ideas? They were simple. Shootout gun fights, rivalry, thriller, car chases, characterization, drama, martial arts, super powers, outlaws. Some of these ideas didnt fit, so shootouts were taken over super powers for instance. You take the things you are passionate about, and start to merge them. Thinking about plot points, getting inspired by film, games, music, animation, books etc. Then build characters with them, get into their mindset, their motivations. their likes, their dislikes, their past, their ambitions, their future, their secrets. Embrace that mindset write it all down in a book. Then do it again for other characters, secondary ones and again for more.

With your characters in place, stories really continue to repeat themselves. So you take your main protagonist, put them in a place of comfort, establish that, then challenge them with something they have to deal with. Then the journey will come to a resolve. When you know your characters, and have a passion for them then they write themselves. You'll understand them so well that dialogue and scripts are reactionary. Good ideas for animation start way before the animation begins. If you're struggling with doing anything with flash, then flash is not the issue, but your inspiration is.

Once you have your script, you can go onto storyboard. Where you take your script and break it down shot per shot building a scene which concentrates on the staging, framing, pacing of a scene etc. You can then take that and make an animatic, or go straight from there to animating shot after shot in flash. From there you can export out shot per shot and edit somewhere else. Or you can do a more basic method and just one big flash movie. The choice is yours.

The production is so huge if you have any questions about certain areas feel free to ask. But it's all about getting passionate about your project, and you do that by relating to all the inspirations that make you want to be creative in the first place and condense them in your notepad. Which become your bible of ideas, no matter how small or big. And enjoy the inspiration point, let it breathe and don't rush into animation. A lot of time on animation is actually on preproduction. Actual animating only really happens when you know what you have to do, if not it'll come out random and possibly inconsistent. Collate your thoughts, and do something manageable but something you want to do. Take it from all the things you love, merge them. Build and explore them as you are at a point where you can play god and anything is possible.

BBS Signature

Response to Tips for beginner Flash animator? 2016-06-20 05:06:26

Hey man I appreciate your reply, very helpful stuff, I like the notebook idea, but a full flash movie is abit far for me at the moment haha, my goal for now is to make maybe like a 10 to 20 second animation thats funny. Thanks for your help dude :D

Response to Tips for beginner Flash animator? 2016-06-20 08:18:37

At 6/20/16 05:06 AM, TheTipper wrote: Hey man I appreciate your reply, very helpful stuff, I like the notebook idea, but a full flash movie is abit far for me at the moment haha, my goal for now is to make maybe like a 10 to 20 second animation thats funny. Thanks for your help dude :D

Yeah, when I say full flash movie, i dont mean something epic. it can be something like as you say a short 20 second skit. :)

BBS Signature