00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Scarss just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds home page is slow

490 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Newgrounds home page is slow 2016-04-03 18:27:49

I don't know if anybody else has noticed this but recently the front page of Newgrounds is s..l..o..w.

I go to http://www.newgrounds.com and page is loading loading .. I go away to do some stuff .. page still loading.
Then when it's finally loaded I sign in ... wait ... (it takes a while).

But then once I use any other section of the site the rest of the site is fast enough and doesn't have these ridiculous site loading waits. What's the deal? I notice the home page makes a *lot* of connections to other websites and sometimes any one of these might take a while to connect. Sometimes when it's just taking way too long I can stop the page loading and try to login anyway but other times that doesn't work.

It shouldn't be taking ten minutes to load the home page of the site. It doesn't take ten minutes every time, but yeah sometimes it can.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Newgrounds home page is slow 2016-04-04 04:33:10

At 4/3/16 06:27 PM, NeonSpider wrote: It shouldn't be taking ten minutes to load the home page of the site. It doesn't take ten minutes every time, but yeah sometimes it can.

You're right, it shouldn't BUT... it's impossible to know how to help you without more details about your environment - from browser and version, OS and version down to any software you're running that might affect your browsing (e.g. firewalls or antivirus, addons, etc). Your location may also play a role in all of this in case the CDN is experiencing issues in the area you're served by.

Needle in the haystack job without more info.

Response to Newgrounds home page is slow 2016-04-04 17:43:58

At 4/4/16 04:33 AM, liljim wrote:
At 4/3/16 06:27 PM, NeonSpider wrote: It shouldn't be taking ten minutes to load the home page of the site. It doesn't take ten minutes every time, but yeah sometimes it can.
You're right, it shouldn't BUT... it's impossible to know how to help you without more details about your environment - from browser and version, OS and version down to any software you're running that might affect your browsing (e.g. firewalls or antivirus, addons, etc). Your location may also play a role in all of this in case the CDN is experiencing issues in the area you're served by.

Needle in the haystack job without more info.

Well, now I'm thinking it's some piece of Javascript on your home page hanging it up because whenever the home page is really slow I can't immediately get to other websites and if I close the browser and try to reopen it I get an error saying there is already a running process and to first wait for that to close or to kill it.

If I start at any other part of the site I don't have this issue and I don't have this issue with other websites. So I'm thinking it's most likely an issue with some piece of Javascript you have on your main page there.

As for details, Firefox running in Linux, no addons, south-east US.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

I'm having a similar problem, only this time with my browser freezing while NG loads some pages. It un-sticks itself and continues as normal after it finishes loading, but I'm starting to get curious as to why it's only NG that does this. Putting it here since it might be related to the OP.

Browser: Firefox 43.0.1
No known add-ons or browser-related background programs running while loading or using Newgrounds.

Response to Newgrounds home page is slow 2016-04-06 15:07:59

At 4/6/16 02:21 PM, Sheizenhammer wrote: I'm having a similar problem

Did this just start happening recently?

Response to Newgrounds home page is slow 2016-04-06 17:11:01

At 4/6/16 05:05 PM, NekoMika wrote: I have Ad-Block but it's turned off for Newgrounds.

Try turning it on and see if it happens. We've been having issues with ads lately.

Response to Newgrounds home page is slow 2016-04-07 03:53:06

I'm not altogether convinced this is a JavaScript issue, that could be a red herring. Will discuss with Bren.

Response to Newgrounds home page is slow 2016-04-07 03:59:26

Yeah, I believe I've found the cause of this. We'll look to putting in a fix.

Response to Newgrounds home page is slow 2016-04-10 18:23:11

I'm not sure if this is helpful at this point, but I'll mention it in case it means something to Liljim or Bren:

I just found out that maximising and then minimising another program (the last one I tried it with was Notepad) when my Firefox is frozen waiting for NG to load seems to un-stick the browser. Why the hell this would have any effect on it whatsoever I've no idea, but then again I'm not a programmer on any level.

Just another piece for the puzzle. Possibly.