00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best of December 2015

14,133 Views | 39 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Best of December 2015 2016-01-07 11:29:28

Before we get to the Best of December, some announcements:

Pixel Day is January 23rd! It would be awesome if you could make some pixel art, animation, game or chiptune for the event. Read the Pixel Day page for more details.

We are up to 143 active Supporter Upgrade Subscriptions! This is a mix of monthly and annual subscriptions and does not include one-time annual purchases. We're gonna have breakdown stats soon with a new page we're launching.

Our current goal is to hit 1,000 subscribers asap, to roughly cover base hosting expenses. For now it would be great to hit 200, which we could do by mid-month if 7-8 people became subscribers each day.

The long-term goal of this system is to rebuild an entire scene that has taken a severe beating in recent years; web gaming and animation. Once NG returns to covering monthly expenses and starts generating additional revenue, we can return to sponsoring original content and building traffic to the benefit of everyone here. 10,000 subscribers would make Newgrounds extremely formidable. 100,000 would be game-changing for the web.

Imagine original NG-sponsored games and animation every week, utilizing artists, musicians and voice actors from the community. Imagine bigger and more frequent cash prizes. Bigger rev-share numbers. These are all things that can happen with time if our supporter count continues to build momentum. Please consider committing $3 per month to become a supporter! Less than a beer!

Here are your Best of December:

Top Five Movies

The top-ranked movie based on original characters and winner of $250 is Gildedguy vs Jade!

Top Five Games

Runner-up Movies

6. Anioco's Undertale
7. Chara vs Sans (Undertale animation)
8. Star Wars Christmas Special | TheJamCave
9. "WEIRD AL" YANKOVIC - The Mystery of Meat
10. Fefnir - Pilot
11. Catwoman x Harley Speedpaint
12. No Evil 017: Direction
13. Underturry
14. Fallout Vault Girl Speedpaint
15. Undertale: Final Breath (fan Animation)
16. Dinky the Fifth Ghost
17. Alter Ego - Short Film
18. What Is Love FULL ★ Resident Evil Girls ★ LOOP Animation
19. Explosions
20. Lucina Says More

Runner-up Games

6. Zombie And Juliet
7. Alula Falling #1
8. Sprout
9. Cap'n Marcela's Winter Wonderland
10. Bloodungeon
11. Halfling Tycoon
12. Dead Detention 2; Episode 2
13. From Sprout to Splendor
14. Diseviled
15. Genemon
16. Go, Go, Radzilla!
17. Growing Ties
18. LAB
19. Recoil Rampage
20. Christmas cat

The voter of the month and winner of $100 is @AshSamael!

Thank you everyone who participated in December and thank you everyone who has already become a supporter!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-07 11:59:50

Tons of really great submissions this month. Congratulations to everyone who won.

At 1/7/16 11:29 AM, TomFulp wrote: 20. Lucina Says More

@Homicidee

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-07 12:00:16

Top #10 & #17 not bad :D

Do you want to learn more about the animation industry from people who have worked in Disney, Pixar, Lucas Film and more? Click Here!

Join Our Show!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-07 12:15:25

Congrats to winners. Hoping to see newgrounds grow into something big!

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-07 12:24:35

Congrats to the winners! I've got a lot of catching up to do on watching and playing stuff around here.

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-07 12:54:05

At 1/7/16 12:43 PM, DaManiac wrote: Congratulations to the winners.

Animation vs Minecraft definitely deserved the number #1 spot.

If anyone said anything differently they'd be torn apart.

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-07 14:48:47

At 1/7/16 12:56 PM, DaManiac wrote:
At 1/7/16 12:54 PM, Gragon73 wrote: If anyone said anything differently they'd be torn apart.
Into little pieces.

Probably by the red stick figure. He gets angry sometimes.

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-07 16:30:42

I thought the best of were the first week of the month, so I still had time to vote today...

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-07 18:29:41

Congratulations to the winners.

Always glad to see my picks make into the best of the month.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-07 23:02:57

Wow Kudos to AshSamael for winning voter of the month!

This got me curious, what's the criteria for being voter of the month?

"Yeah all recent things in life are always based upon something. Every idea now is never 100% original."

Click If curious:

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-08 03:14:45

Ey Tom! I started a monthly $10 subscription this month, but for some reason there's still money on my Paypal account. Something wrong with the system? I tried doing it again but got the message I already have a subscription running.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-08 05:12:43

At 1/8/16 03:14 AM, Oakwood wrote: Ey Tom! I started a monthly $10 subscription this month, but for some reason there's still money on my Paypal account. Something wrong with the system? I tried doing it again but got the message I already have a subscription running.

Thanks for letting us know about this... PayPal is supposed to collect the payment automatically, though in your case it looks like your profile was created but the money never collected (it may have failed, I'm not sure - we didn't get an email about it either way). For skipped payments, they make another attempt after 5 days.

I just tried collecting the balance and it went through fine.

Did Paypal send you any notifications as to what was going on? If so, could you please remove any sensitive info and forward them to me? liljim@

I've been working on ways of making all of this a lot more informative from our end, too, so I'm thirsty for any info I can get to debug this stuff.

Thanks for such a big monthly contribution btw!!!

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-08 06:03:19 (edited 2016-01-08 06:05:57)

At 1/8/16 05:12 AM, liljim wrote: Thanks for letting us know about this... PayPal is supposed to collect the payment automatically, though in your case it looks like your profile was created but the money never collected (it may have failed, I'm not sure - we didn't get an email about it either way). For skipped payments, they make another attempt after 5 days.

I got an email from Paypal an hour ago saying my 'outstanding balance payment was successfully delivered', so I guess it's okay now. I could PM you the details in the email if you want. Today is exactly 5 days since I first started the subscription, by the way.

Thanks for such a big monthly contribution btw!!!

Ohh shush, it's nothing. ^^

Edit: I just noticed I skipped an email Paypal sent me saying that my first installment of the subscription couldn't be processed. Welp, my bad. Don't know how that happened though.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-08 06:31:56

At 1/8/16 06:03 AM, Oakwood wrote: I got an email from Paypal an hour ago saying my 'outstanding balance payment was successfully delivered', so I guess it's okay now. I could PM you the details in the email if you want. Today is exactly 5 days since I first started the subscription, by the way.

Yeah, it should auto-try-again after 5 days, but in your case, I actually manually ran the payment....

Edit: I just noticed I skipped an email Paypal sent me saying that my first installment of the subscription couldn't be processed. Welp, my bad. Don't know how that happened though.

This probably is nothing to do with you - if you don't have funds in your PP account, it attempts to bill your funding method (credit card or bank account). I think sometimes this times out, so it gives up and sets itself up to try again in 5 day's time.

I've been trying to make all of this a lot more informative from our end. If this had happened to you a day or two later, you'd have got a PM explaining some of this.

Could you please PM me the contents of both emails you got?

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-08 07:42:27

Lots of cool stuff!

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-08 12:10:49

many good movies and games, once again this month!

good stuff, and lets keep NG running!

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-08 13:26:04

Yeeehaaw!! I'M A SUPPORTER!!! :D

Well, I should have spent more but I'm broke as fuck :/

Anyways, congrats to all the winners of December!!

I'll get another beer now.

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-08 15:21:45

Well congrats to winners of December 2015, hope that everyone enjoyed themselves very well. Hope that 2016 can bring more happiness to other future winners for this year.

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-08 15:37:25

At 1/7/16 03:50 PM, KingiOgh wrote: Congrats to the winners.

#5 movie only won because of the thumbnail.

Yes I think suicide is funny and I am sick of pretending its not.

eX(Wi/Ht? #45)

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-08 15:45:40

At 1/8/16 03:37 PM, iscrulz wrote:
At 1/7/16 03:50 PM, KingiOgh wrote: Congrats to the winners.
#5 movie only won because of the thumbnail.

#buttgate

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-08 20:28:35

Congrats to all the winners, lot of great stuff out there last month

Heavy Vibes

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-08 23:06:23 (edited 2016-01-08 23:21:03)

I love Newgrounds! <3

Edit: I really do! (I fucking love that edit option/button!!! tehe)

Edit: Wow, I don't know what to write, I just hit the Edit button! Well, I think it's cool! Soon I will start to work on a new game and it will be, you won't believe it, awe-some !!!! OKAY! I only have 5 minutes and 48 seconds left to release this message!!! LET'S DO IT!!!

And hey, I'm a very lonely guy. So play my games and give a review, that would be awesome! :)

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-09 00:35:40

Kudos to everyone who made a game or movie.
Best of luck to your plights.

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-09 03:38:22

At 1/7/16 11:29 AM, TomFulp wrote: We are up to 143 active Supporter Upgrade Subscriptions!

Something I just noticed... I am already a supporter as I paid for it awhile back before you started doing the monthly subscriptions. I recently changed my username and I noticed that I can now do the monthly subscription even though I'm a supporter. Wouldn't that open up the possibility (although very slim) that someone could have a monthly subscription, switch their username, and then start another monthly subscription?

Also Tom could you enlighten me about something? I was curious what is the difference between someone being a 'fan' of you vs asking to be your 'friend' here on NG? I don't think accepting a friend request actually bumps up your fan number (correct me if I'm wrong). Is it essentially the same thing as you both becoming a fan of one another without actually increasing your fan amount? I'm just curious because the last few months I've had quite a few users ask to be my friend and I'm trying to figure out why and what the benefit of it is. I don't know if they are doing it because they are interested in what I do or because they are trying to get more people to see their work by sending friend requests to everyone.

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-09 05:52:05 (edited 2016-01-09 05:52:17)

I'm not Tom, but I'll answer your questions...

At 1/9/16 03:38 AM, HeroPower wrote: Wouldn't that open up the possibility (although very slim) that someone could have a monthly subscription, switch their username, and then start another monthly subscription?

No.

I was curious what is the difference between someone being a 'fan' of you vs asking to be your 'friend' here on NG?

There are differences. For example, you can compare games between friends, more activity from friends shows up in your feed than people you are following (whose work you get to see, not whose reviews you see posted), etc.

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-09 08:44:35 (edited 2016-01-09 08:45:40)

At 1/9/16 03:38 AM, HeroPower wrote: Something I just noticed... I am already a supporter as I paid for it awhile back before you started doing the monthly subscriptions. I recently changed my username and I noticed that I can now do the monthly subscription even though I'm a supporter. Wouldn't that open up the possibility (although very slim) that someone could have a monthly subscription, switch their username, and then start another monthly subscription?

Most likely you fell into the window where it allowed you to renew your status.

Also Tom could you enlighten me about something? I was curious what is the difference between someone being a 'fan' of you vs asking to be your 'friend' here on NG? I don't think accepting a friend request actually bumps up your fan number (correct me if I'm wrong). Is it essentially the same thing as you both becoming a fan of one another without actually increasing your fan amount? I'm just curious because the last few months I've had quite a few users ask to be my friend and I'm trying to figure out why and what the benefit of it is. I don't know if they are doing it because they are interested in what I do or because they are trying to get more people to see their work by sending friend requests to everyone.

When you are friends with someone, you'll get updates about their activity in your feed (you can also choose to exclude friends from your feed and only include people you are fans of). The long-term intention of friends has been social activities, such as social gaming (seeing what games your friends are in and joining them) and chatting (seeing when friends are in specific chatrooms). It has been taking some time to get there though. Edited: Just saw Jim replied so this reply is mostly redundant.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-09 10:29:04

We've been working hard at our Pixel Day entry (MSGhero, LloydeSorrow and myself). We're taking it as a good opportunity to drive some traffic to our upcoming bigger project, but still trying to make something different from what we usually do and challenge ourselves a bit. I'm certainly having fun messing around with a new art style, might be one to adapt into something else later.

Tale of Enki: Pilgrimage, an RPG with a few twists. Available to buy it on Steam here!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-09 13:34:23 (edited 2016-01-09 13:48:07)

I love Newgrounds!

Edit: I also love Tom!

Edit: I'm drunk.

AND I love Liljim!!

I'm so kissy today.

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-09 13:53:27 (edited 2016-01-09 13:59:02)

Hey if you're new to Newgrounds that is really cool, but you need to understand that this is something really, really special. This not just an internet site. It's an internet site!! We make creative shit!! and men I might be an old asshole but damn I WON'T GIVE UP!!!! I WILL MAKE GAMES AND I WILL COOK STUFF LIKE POTATOES AND OTHER THINGS!!!!

Edit: I love Bomtoons!

Response to Best of December 2015 2016-01-09 22:51:16

What if Newgrounds became like Patreon, and content consumers throw money at creators? Newgrounds could take a cut. Could be interesting?