00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Thatgooner just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Your own story for a video game

713 Views | 19 Replies

Your own story for a video game 2015-08-09 21:30:49

If you were to create your own story for a video game which by the way is different from your typical video game stories, what would it be?

Here's an example of one of mine: A teenage girl is caught in a fundamentalist Christian cult (by the way, I'm not bashing all Christians) in a suburban town in the southern United States. Recently, her father is physically, emotionally and spiritually abusing her mother and she has also had her share of being abused by her father as well. Her mother decided to sneak out of the house one day to receive counseling from the church for the abuse. The church's counselor tells her that she should not resist the abuse because if she does, she is being unsubmissive to her husband which is a serious crime in the church's eyes. That night, her husband beats her to death. Afterwards, the girl is beaten by her father and is left unconscious for several hours. Later, she wakes up and discovers that her father is gone, leaving her to believe he fled. She decides to go out and try to find her father and turn him in to the authorities, but first she desires to confront the cult leaders herself.

I know it sounds like a strange story for a game, but I was aiming for something different and more close to real-life situations. What would your story be?

"Get busy living or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne -The Shawshank Redemption

Response to Your own story for a video game 2015-08-09 21:42:02

At 8/9/15 09:37 PM, Cordyceps wrote: What the hell kind of game is that going to be

side-scrolling beat em up

Response to Your own story for a video game 2015-08-09 21:42:27

At 8/9/15 09:37 PM, Cordyceps wrote: What the hell kind of game is that going to be

Another 2deep4u indie game.

A shooter game with RPG and Horror elements. With some Grand Theft Auto and Godfather thrown in for good measure.

The twist is that you're completely unarmed for the whole game.

Response to Your own story for a video game 2015-08-09 21:45:59

At 8/9/15 09:44 PM, TheGamechanger wrote:
A shooter game with RPG and Horror elements. With some Grand Theft Auto and Godfather thrown in for good measure.

:You're talking about my game?

Response to Your own story for a video game 2015-08-09 21:46:55

At 8/9/15 09:45 PM, sirleibl wrote:
You're talking about my game?

Yes.

Response to Your own story for a video game 2015-08-09 21:49:05

At 8/9/15 09:46 PM, TheGamechanger wrote:
At 8/9/15 09:45 PM, sirleibl wrote:
You're talking about my game?
Yes.

I prefer for it to be more survival horrorish with some Metal Gear Solid style stealth thrown into it.

Response to Your own story for a video game 2015-08-09 21:52:11

The twist is that you're completely unarmed for the whole game.

Actually, there is going to be weapons.

Here's one of my game story ideas. If someone steals this idea, I'll be ok with it as long as they credit me with it.

Genre: Film Noir-style RPG

A human-sized Godzilla is the city's resident detective and crimefighter, with several movie monsters, comic book monsters, etc are also human-sized and are the criminals that Godzilla must capture. Detective Godzilla must solve all the crimes to complete the game, such as murder mysteries, bank robberies, property destruction, kidnappings, bomb threats, and mysterious disappearances. To level up, Godzilla fights random street thugs. Premium content includes a super boss and arena battle event.

Includes voice-acting, quality humor, and plenty of oscar-quality drama. May also include more than one H. P. Lovecraft homage.
Godzilla speaks perfect english in this game, as well as any other featured monster.

Response to Your own story for a video game 2015-08-10 00:19:54

After seeing a playthrough of Shadow of the Colossus I gained a new appreciation for stories where you really only have one or two characters. I thought it would be interesting if there was a video game where the main character woke up in a cave with no memories but is being nursed back to health by his girlfriend. Unlike a lot of the cliche memory loss plot devices, the character would actually be given all of the information from the start, but it would be about his girlfriend's expectation of a relationship while the main character is effectively meeting this woman for the first time. The general plot would be that they're both military deserters and the punishment for desertion is incarceration of family members. The majority of the game would be spent hunting and basically surviving while periodically dueling with the character's girlfriend. When he finally has enough strength to beat her, they invade the city together on a rescue mission.

Another idea I had was built around a main character with PTSD and schizophrenia. He, his partner, and his uncle are trying to jump the border, escaping a fascist state. Some of the enemies fought in-game are actually hallucinations of the main character, meaning he is the only one that can attack (or be attacked) by them, and he is also able to use magic techniques against them since none of it is 'real.' Both of his companions die throughout the story, but the main character cannot accept their deaths and begins to hallucinate them as party members. Thus, after dying, they can attack hallucinations but not real enemies. While the main character begins as the only one able to attack hallucinations, by the end he is the only member capable of defeating flesh-and-bone targets. The deaths are foreshadowed but not overtly presented to the player until the very end of the game.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to Your own story for a video game 2015-08-10 01:24:48

At 8/9/15 09:57 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: The ones shown in North America are fine, but the ones shown in the U.K. are infuriating.
here is the actual sound file played in the ads when it is shown on TV

The North American version is NOT OK. Ads like this are why I generally don't watch TV.

I've never used Trip Adviser and now I never will. I can pick my own damn hotels myself anyway.

Response to Your own story for a video game 2015-08-10 03:55:17

At 8/9/15 09:30 PM, sirleibl wrote: If you were to create your own story for a video game which by the way is different from your typical video game stories, what would it be?

I know it sounds like a strange story for a game, but I was aiming for something different and more close to real-life situations. What would your story be?

mASTER cHief vs sephiroth LOLOLOLOL

Noggleton is so cool lol

BBS Signature

Response to Your own story for a video game 2015-08-10 05:32:16

A young boy is battling the enormity of creation itself. All set to a quirky background.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Your own story for a video game 2015-08-10 06:57:22

You've got a great gameplay idea there. If I were you, I'd make it a sandbox with a variety of usable weapons (from a two by four to a heavy rocket launcher) and vehicles (from a bicycle to HIND-D3 or a prototype fighter-bomber) so our little girl can do IRL barrel rolls while this song plays in the background.

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

First half is an arcade third person shooter game with aliens, zombies and Nazis
First half of the second half of the game the protagonist realizes he was dreaming and it becomes a text adventure where you struggle against your daydreaming obsession.
In the second half of the second half, you have fought successfully against said obsession and have met several girls you want to couple with and it becomes a dating SIM.

I tell you this is going to be nuts best seller

Bitte meine beliebte Nazi mods, keine bannerino, weil ich auch ein Nazi Scwein bin! Danke schön

BBS Signature

Response to Your own story for a video game 2015-08-10 07:40:43

Not much of a story, rather this idea is just a character arc. I want to see a female character get set up as a damsel in distress, but she uses her feminine wiles to break free. Also she doesn't become the love interest. Instead she turns into a bro-tier character and enjoys a drink with the male characters as if she was "one of the guys".

The only downside is it'd be seen as social commentary or in the very least trying to subvert the damsel in distress trope.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Your own story for a video game 2015-08-11 08:57:58

It won't be interesting enough I think... But nice try

Response to Your own story for a video game 2015-08-11 19:25:52

OP, I don't make games yet but if you've ever seen the stuff I dreamed up for video game concepts, mine is a bit of an antithesis to your idea. You'll see why.

Response to Your own story for a video game 2015-08-12 01:18:09

At 8/9/15 09:30 PM, sirleibl wrote: What would your story be?

There was once a kingdom from a far away land called "Beardeville" known as the kingdom of the bearded manly people (every manly citizen has to grow a beard with mustache).

Until their king, the one who has the most majestic beard of all, felt ill. Only his son, named Larry, can inherit the thrown, but Larry...HAS NO BEARD!! The people went crazy, they can't accept an unbearded lad to lead their kingdom. The King has no choice but to invalidate his son's position to the kingdom and threw him out, giving him 3 months to grow a BEARD...

And this was how Larry's quest to grow a beard had started..he would later find out about a dragon named Shenron who grants wishes to those people who can gather all his balls.

BBS Signature

Response to Your own story for a video game 2015-08-12 01:20:53

A fart cloud has to get into peoples noses.