00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hauntir just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Animators vs writers

567 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Animators vs writers 2015-07-07 11:29:57

I came across a post a couple of months ago about the time consuming work of animation and how a writer can't find animators to work on their stories because animators are busy with their own.

Not until now did I really react. Do animators always write their own stories? Is the art of coming up with ideas and good lines secondary to animation?

The reason I am wondering about this is that I, myself, have tried to find animators to help make my ideas come to life, but I had to put my projects on hold because I just couldn't find anyone. Unless I paid big, of course.

Response to Animators vs writers 2015-07-07 12:29:21

Why would I clean your car for free if I already needed to clean my car? Well if you pay me sure I will come clean your car.

BBS Signature

Response to Animators vs writers 2015-07-07 13:50:33

At 7/7/15 12:29 PM, Blounty wrote: Why would I clean your car for free if I already needed to clean my car? Well if you pay me sure I will come clean your car.

Yes, this is absolutely true for all animators who are confident in their storytelling. Do all animators feel this way, that they are mainly animating because they want to make their own stories, and do not really want to work with a writer/director?

Response to Animators vs writers 2015-07-07 14:19:48 (edited 2015-07-07 14:26:02)

At 7/7/15 11:29 AM, clockhand wrote: Do animators always write their own stories? Is the art of coming up with ideas and good lines secondary to animation?

Some do, some don't. Most passionate animators already have some form of side project going on regardless - and/or they are working professionals who are occupied for most of the day. You'd basically ask people with their own dreams to realize yours for free. Most of the time it doesn't work out or you get really bad results.

Do all animators feel this way, that they are mainly animating because they want to make their own stories, and do not really want to work with a writer/director?

I for one do feel that way, but at the same time I love to work with writers and game designers.

BBS Signature

Response to Animators vs writers 2015-07-07 14:56:00 (edited 2015-07-07 14:57:54)

I can't speak for everyone, but I personally love to bring things to life - whether that be animating characters or creating immersive worlds in movies or games.

Everyone has their own interests or ideas on how things should be. This is the reason fan fiction exists - people are tailoring someone else's story to their own ideals. I'm guilty of this. I absolutely love the characters and story for things like Mortal Kombat and Dragon Ball Z, but I often think about how different things would be if I wrote it.

At the end of the day though, animation is so time-consuming and it requires a passion for not only the task of animating, but for the source material too. People are less likely to want to animate characters they don't like. So if animators create their own stories and characters - they likely to be more passionate about it.

Having said that - some people just aren't interested in writing. Or maybe they are willing to animate for someone else if they feel the money and/or story is good enough.

Response to Animators vs writers 2015-07-10 13:20:28

There are a few things with this. If an animator is not super passionate, they will spend their time at their full-time job and that's all the bigger commitment they have. They don't view animation as a lifestyle for instance.

The other group is that passionate section. They love animation so much they work on things outside of a full-time gig for instance. At these gigs, they are animating away, they have deadlines, managers, etc all giving them feedback on things and it can be demanding.

In their spare time why would they want to deal with that even more? So they tend to work on their own things or work in smaller groups of other animators since they have that in common. Sometimes they do freelance work to get some extra cash. Sometimes they will work on animated shorts to learn new techniques or software, but very rarely or ever are they going to animate for someone with a script.

The only way I would even consider doing something like that is if that person with the script or idea had a solid business plan or delivery plan. If this isn't in place, I'm not going to take you seriously. It would appear that I am simply animating your pet project. Like stated above, why should I animate your project instead of mine? Both may not be paid, but at least if I animate my idea I have control over it and its also a form of therapy.

It's kind of a harsh reality but if your a writer you will need some kind of deal sweetener to lure people into the project.

Response to Animators vs writers 2015-07-29 08:53:53

Ok, so it seems that animators are not looking for stories the way directors look for scripts. Good to know.

Response to Animators vs writers 2015-07-29 14:09:50

Unfortunately, unless you already have friends who are animators you're going to have a hard time finding someone to animate your stuff unless you are willing to pay for their time.

I don't understand where everybody gets this idea that animators just sit around waiting for somebody to tell them what to draw. Animation is visual storytelling. We do the same thing you do visually. Even if the stories aren't "written" in the traditional sense of the word, things like dialogue and creating story arcs and character development are necessary when creating a cartoon; So being able to write goes hand and hand with being an animator. Animation is film making.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I have millions of ideas for stories and I'll probably only be able to finish 5 or 6 of them in my life time because animation is so time consuming. I'm too invested in my own personal work to stop what I'm doing to work on something I have no attachment to (unless you make it worth my time somehow $$$). You thinking your story is amazing isn't enough for me to stop working on my own amazing story.

Smarty Art, Ninja, Action

BBS Signature

Response to Animators vs writers 2015-07-29 14:16:16 (edited 2015-07-29 14:17:13)

animators aren't your slaves you know! No money! No Professtional animator!

Response to Animators vs writers 2015-07-29 15:54:57

Tell me, are you a "writer?" Or are you just another "idea guy?"

In the real world, animation directors and animation writers are animators and artists. And they don't work with scripts. They work with storyboards. Don't just believe me, go look at any the-making-of animation documentary. Every one of those hit movies/shows start with storyboards.

Every post I've ever seen begging for free animation has never shown the basic understanding for the need of a simple storyboard. If somebody ever posted a complete storyboard of their project I'd take them a great deal more seriously. Show me your storyboards, show me your character model sheets, show me something more then, "I've got this great idea for an animated series."

Here's an idea for you. Pitch your project to us like you'd pitch a show to Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon. If you can't do that what makes you think any animator would waste their time for your project?

I'm expecting your response will be, "But, I can't draw." Doesn't matter. I've seen stick figure storyboards that work just fine. If your writing is any good it will show through stick figures. "But, I don't know how to make a storyboard." Google it. There are hundreds of professional storyboard examples you can download online. There are dozens of storyboard templates your can download. And there are a bunch of tutorials out there to guide you.

end rant.

Response to Animators vs writers 2015-07-30 02:04:13

Animators are reluctant for multiple reasons. First, animators tend to have little say in what goes on in the story. People write the story, then other people make the audio, and then the animators get to match that exactly. Second, people are flakes. How are we supposed to know you'll actually make things happen, get the audio, and put it all together. Also, animators tend to get the shaft when it comes to credit. Plus, it's hard to go to someone else's idea when you have so many. I guess you could try to learn animating, it really isn't that bad with practice. Good luck!

Please check out my YouTube if you want to: Massive Head Trauma Media

Or, if you want, check out my Newgrounds Page

Thanks!

Response to Animators vs writers 2015-07-31 00:59:28

Writers for animation are overrated. They will reduce characters to talking heads for generic dialogue and tell a generic story that has been done a million times, you can already see this in movies and TV shows today. Animation writers aren't very unique yet so abundant, and then again there is a sudden influx of writer-animators that also produce the same generic crap (but are capable of sparing other animators from working on their stuff). It's so strange.

Anyways storyboards should always be used instead of scripts since they tell a hell of a lot more and are funner to work with (unless the storyboard artist is more of a writer than an animator).

Response to Animators vs writers 2015-07-31 11:33:05

Agreed. Animators for the most part are also film makers and writers in their own respect. If you went to school for it, these are courses you needed to take so you kinda have been raised to be self-sufficient in that regard. If you didn't go the school route, you most likely still have an appreciation or desire for storytelling, composition, writing etc.

With that in mind, that is why most animators do their own thing. Also, when someone comes in and says they have an idea for this series, etc. It already shows us that person has no understanding of how animation works and how time consuming it is.

For me, it would have to be a pretty awesome story for me to buy in. Not only that, but they need to have some support team or artwork in place too. If they don't have those things, I wouldn't seriously talk to someone until they get those things. I have friends who all are like "I have this idea, do you want to work on it?" Of course I don't b/c you have an idea and I am doing the work. If you put in some work I might change my mind. So if you want to pitch animators on a story, you better have your story decided and get some supporting art or funds before you build a team.

On that same note, start small. Again, anyone wanting to do a 20 minute episode to start with is in for a rude awakening.

Response to Animators vs writers 2015-07-31 15:57:36

At 7/29/15 08:53 AM, clockhand wrote: Ok, so it seems that animators are not looking for stories the way directors look for scripts. Good to know.

Well, when i started animating i had no idea what i should animate to get exercise, and everything i have in mind is just: meh
i really wondered if i should search for a writer here on NG, but right now i´m working on one of my better "meh" projects

Response to Animators vs writers 2015-07-31 21:33:11 (edited 2015-07-31 21:34:14)

Animation can take months, even years to produce something good. We only have so much time in our lives to work on certain projects and it just isn't worth it telling someone else's story for free. keep in mind that a lot of us have our own ideas and stories that we want to tell so to us our time is valuable. You're going to have a hard time distracting us from our goals with your own stories unless there's either pay involved or some other benefit (like recognition or working with someone well known).

The best way to approach these things is to develop a new story idea with an animator from the very beginning. That way you're both equally invested in the project and no one feels like they're just taking orders from (let's face it) an ametuer writer who still has a lot to learn.

The last thing you want is an animator who's not passionate about the project because they're just going to half ass it and the product will turn out poor as a result, no matter how good the writing is.