00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

soniccrackers23 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How To Find your first paid project

1,639 Views | 23 Replies

Hi everyone!

I've recently been getting quite consistent paid work as a composer, so I consider myself to be a professional. I compose music for interactive media (mobile and pc games, and other software).

I've decided to detail the methods I've used to successfully find work, and put them into a course. I'm also guiding my 'students' along the way with one 2 one email support. So I'll be kind of mentoring you, and showing you where to direct your efforts.

I've got some awesome techniques that are included in the course. For example

- how to find the relevant people in each company who are likely to be hiring composers, so you don't waste your time talking to the wrong people.

- how to work out a justified rate to charge for your services as a composer

- how to make your portfolio irresistible (I can give you this section for free if you send me a pm)

- networking tips to help you connect with helpful people, learn from them and find work

- how to ensure you've got all the necessary skills to begin the search for paid work

...and much more!

I'll also offer you critique on your music if you like, so you'll be maximizing your chances of getting hired.

I can send you details of my music production company and who I am via personal message. We can have a chat on skype or via email, or even on here if you like - and you can decide if my course will be right for you. It's currently in 'beta', so the sign up fee is very cheap.

Send me a message or comment, and I'll help you find your first paid project!

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-04 15:23:30

We can have a chat on skype or via email, or even on here if you like - and you can decide if my course will be right for you. It's currently in 'beta', so the sign up fee is very cheap.

I've tried "courses" like this. Anyone with an internet connection and the willpower can find a music job. Knowledge of the business is okay, but persistence, passion, and diplomacy will get you wherever you want to be. The recent creation of your NG account tells me you came here solely to hawk your services to newcomers and that is slightly upsetting.

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-04 15:28:33

At 9/4/14 03:23 PM, headphoamz wrote:
I've tried "courses" like this. Anyone with an internet connection and the willpower can find a music job. Knowledge of the business is okay, but persistence, passion, and diplomacy will get you wherever you want to be.

that's awesome, what course did you try? Did it not help you at all? I'd love to hear more about it. One thing that you forgot to mention was that having guidance when you're trying to achieve something great can be invaluable ;)

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-04 15:38:18

At 9/4/14 03:28 PM, mrjeffferson wrote:
that's awesome, what course did you try? Did it not help you at all? I'd love to hear more about it.

It was actually when I was first starting out a couple years ago, and it centered around getting work in game audio, from a professor who, at the time, I considered to be a veteran of the industry. He didn't even know how to work Adobe freakin' Audition and it was embarrassing for all involved.

One thing that you forgot to mention was that having guidance when you're trying to achieve something great can be invaluable ;)

I'll agree to that. Having a mentor is a wonderful thing, but I've never had a mentor who asked me to pay them. The only person I pay to give me business advice is an agent. Maybe you're offering to be that person, so I wish you luck in your endeavors here. :)

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-04 15:49:03

At 9/4/14 03:38 PM, headphoamz wrote:
It was actually when I was first starting out a couple years ago, and it centered around getting work in game audio, from a professor who, at the time, I considered to be a veteran of the industry. He didn't even know how to work Adobe freakin' Audition and it was embarrassing for all involved.

lol that must've been embarrassing! Well I can assure you my adobe audition skills are top notch ahaha ;)

I'll agree to that. Having a mentor is a wonderful thing, but I've never had a mentor who asked me to pay them. The only person I pay to give me business advice is an agent. Maybe you're offering to be that person, so I wish you luck in your endeavors here. :)

well I'm not an agent unfortunately! I actually find that when I'm contacting clients and looking for work, they like a personal touch, so having an agent isn't necessarily the best way to go about it.

The reason I'm charging is because of all the content I'm providing, and because I'm taking on several students. The search for work can be quite daunting because some people don't know where to look, who to ask, how to approach people etc. I'm offering a package with a lot of guidance, 3 ebooks of information and email support to help people along the way. Also by asking people to pay for something, I feel like they make a commitment and are generally take the course more seriously.

I can understand where you're coming from though :)

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-04 16:06:41

I'd be interested in knowing a bit more about you and your journey, if you don't mind sharing. If it bothers you to do it publicly you can send me a PM like you said in your first post. :)

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-04 16:53:31

At 9/4/14 04:06 PM, MetalRenard wrote: I'd be interested in knowing a bit more about you and your journey, if you don't mind sharing. If it bothers you to do it publicly you can send me a PM like you said in your first post. :)

sure yea I'll tell you here :)

I've been composing for over 10 years, and I got a degree in music technology here in the UK. When I left university I found that it wasn't going to be easy to get work as a composer - no jobs are advertised, there's loads of competition etc. I did have a few single song contracts signed to dance music labels, but nothing substantial.

After working in a bar for 2 years, I decided that I couldn't work in a boring job - it was just killing me lol. When you have a crappy day job and you're surrounded by people who aren't ambitious it can be pretty soul destroying.

So I decided to focus all of my efforts into becoming a composer.

I did loads of research and stuff on how people who were doing what I wanted to do, full time. I got began basically molding myself into a desirable composer who has a good business sense also - and this process was fun! I learned what kind of perspective you need to have to make this work, I learned about the business, and how to network etc.

Then once I felt ready I started contacting clients. I really went all out - I contacted around 500 companies, and sent each on a personalized email to the person who was responsible to hiring composers.

After a bit of persistence I got my first couple of contracts composing for interactive media I then quit my job, and now I'm pretty much doing it full time.

so not I know how to find paid work - I'm definitely not the most experienced person out there, (I've only recently become a professional) but I'm willing to share my knowledge, and I'd love to be able to help others get there.

I hope I've explained myself well!

You can check out my music production company here:

http://www.undercurrentaudio.co.uk/

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-04 18:10:22

Hey there, not part of the demographic you're targeting with this, but I have a tip: not much comes up regarding your name or your studio, and your site only lists two clients. It might be in your best interest to list the projects you've been working on.

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/ryunocore

Need custom music or SFX for your project? http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1361543

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-04 18:22:50

At 9/4/14 06:10 PM, Ryuno074 wrote: Hey there, not part of the demographic you're targeting with this, but I have a tip: not much comes up regarding your name or your studio, and your site only lists two clients. It might be in your best interest to list the projects you've been working on.

Hi!

Thanks for the advice, but the projects I'm working on are ongoing, and unfortunately quite often before a company even considers hiring you they've already got you to sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA).

This prevents you from talking about the project, and quite often it means you can't mention it. I understand I'm not exactly well known yet, but as I've said before I know how to get paid projects. This is another reason why I'm 'beta testing' my methods. - I'm pretty sure a lot of amateur composers could benefit from them.

cheers

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-04 19:23:36

Well, at least your music is better than most people claiming to share their invaluable knowledge on here.
Good design on that website of yours, too.

More clients under Clients will definitely help get more interested in the future.

Good luck.

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-04 19:56:58

At 9/4/14 07:23 PM, LunyAlex wrote: Well, at least your music is better than most people claiming to share their invaluable knowledge on here.

Thanks for the kind words!

More clients under Clients will definitely help get more interested in the future.

they'll be up soon :)

Good luck.

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-04 22:49:51

At 9/4/14 07:56 PM, mrjeffferson wrote:
At 9/4/14 07:23 PM, LunyAlex wrote: Well, at least your music is better than most people claiming to share their invaluable knowledge on here.
Thanks for the kind words!

they'll be up soon :)

Good luck.

Meh. I thought about trying to take courses and stuff to try and make money come out of my music. But I felt like a whore doing it.

Not in it for the money.

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-05 00:32:40

Well this:

At 9/4/14 06:10 PM, Ryuno074 wrote: I have a tip: not much comes up regarding your name or your studio, and your site only lists two clients.

And then this:

At 9/4/14 06:22 PM, mrjeffferson wrote: I understand I'm not exactly well known yet.

And especially this:

At 9/4/14 03:23 PM, headphoamz wrote: The recent creation of your NG account tells me you came here solely to hawk your services to newcomers and that is slightly upsetting.

All of that paints some awkward undertones...or should I say undercurrents...ah ha ha ha. I mean, what really makes you different from the other "certified" people who have come here to sell their "knowledge"? Sure, it's such a secret to tell somebody that they're biggest hope for being "successful" is hashtag facebook soundcloud youtube get signed look pretty wear makeup rent a studio and follow the rules of capitalism. I suppose it is a science that I cannot completely wrap my head around, so I guess you're in the right...these things can be taught.

But my point is, there have been so many people who casually pass by here trying to "teach" and never appear again. Then, there are some members on this site who have given their valuable advice for FREE and participate on this site regularly AND the proof is in the music they post and the stories they share.

So...yeah oops. Take some time to know the community before professing you have the powers to help the community.

BBS Signature

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-05 03:13:30

At 9/5/14 12:32 AM, ZipZipper wrote: All of that paints some awkward undertones...or should I say undercurrents...ah ha ha ha. I mean, what really makes you different from the other "certified" people who have come here to sell their "knowledge"? Sure, it's such a secret to tell somebody that they're biggest hope for being "successful" is hashtag facebook soundcloud youtube get signed look pretty wear makeup rent a studio and follow the rules of capitalism. I suppose it is a science that I cannot completely wrap my head around, so I guess you're in the right...these things can be taught.

But my point is, there have been so many people who casually pass by here trying to "teach" and never appear again. Then, there are some members on this site who have given their valuable advice for FREE and participate on this site regularly AND the proof is in the music they post and the stories they share.

So...yeah oops. Take some time to know the community before professing you have the powers to help the community.

Not another one of these "I'll make u rich and successful" threads... >_<

I will be honest to say that I agree with Zip 100%. We have here what is called a "community". That means, you put in what you take out. If you want to make a business here, you need to take some time to first research, and then try to win over your audience (music business tip no. 1, which I guess you forgot about).

While it is very nice to see you are enthusiastic and have had found some degree of success like most of us, there are dozens here (Camo, Step, Skye, Breed, etc etc) who, instead of asking for a charge, provide their feedback and thoughts, open and honest, and answer questions about anything. Instead of teaching people, people post their questions and an open dialogue ensues between all the members, both those whose resumes read like a shopping list for a billionare with 10 kids and those who picked up LMMS last week. This open and public dialogue is the foundation of this website, and it's the reason why people like it here and aren't really interested in your "services" you sell. We openly discuss the topics which you want to "secretively" and "divinely" grace the minds of the uninitiated.

If you want to stay and chip in, like many have chosen, then I invite you on behalf of the community to provide your time freely and openly like those who also have countless gigs and projects do (I am not the busiest of them, but I am working on no less than three scoring gigs, one of which I have been touring conferences with, one gig on the back burner too, not to mention sampling, building, testing, and selling virtual instruments, redesigning my website completely, attending college full-time, judging the largest contest on NG and providing a pile of reviews for that, running my own contest, organizing and preparing for an upcoming game expo I will be presenting a game at, and having a semblance of a social life). We have people on here from teachers to doctors and salespeople to professional gigging performers who all donate their free time to go and review works of new composers/producers or go and put in their thoughts on a topic in the forum.

IMHO and from all the people who have posted literally exactly what you posted and then turned out to just be here to make a buck and lack the true desire to teach and share their knowledge, any class, lesson, or teacher which promises or even suggests they will make you "successful" is a, for lack of a better word, fraud. You cannot teach success. What you can teach is the building blocks of understanding and offer pathways into new and interesting inspirations that help supply a composer with the tools he or she needs in order to be successful. You could post in a discussion on orchestration, or a thread asking about mixing techniques for pop music, or a discussion of orchestral sample libraries. All of these would be considerably more useful to a person than "lessons" where you tell about how you single-handedly defeated the Dragon of Agnar and won a gig with some random indie startup like everyone else does in normal every-day business.

The only "lessons" I have taken in my life are on instruments or orchestration. My orchestration "teacher", if you could call him that, was a 60 year-old polytonal composer with dozens of concert works, performances, and decades of experience with the orchestra under his belt. I paid a flat rate per lesson, which consisted of anywhere from a hour to an entire evening spent exploring and discussing a large range of subjects from string writing to signal paths and the evolution of sampler technology. We would share pieces, influences, and ideas, and a sort of synergy came up. It wasn't a lesson as anyone would want you to believe... it was two composers geeking out over how awesome music is. That is the exact same as the truly "successful" lessons I have had. Payment was a tip for a good time and some building blocks, and no one ever promised success, just effort, companionship, and a honest, reliable service. That is what goes on here on Newgrounds. A crudload of musicians geeking out about how awesome music is. Here your payment is the satisfaction that you made a difference with someone, and often times, not just one person, but dozens.

The only truly poor lessons I have received are those given with great dogma and zeal. I've read to date three books promising "success" and found every single one to not be worth the paper they were written on. I've also attended two lectures by "famed" individuals who had great success. Both were to me, complete wastes of time and money. The mask they wear is so painfully clear when you stop believing the fairy tale they are weaving before your eyes. They really DON'T know how they succeeded. They're just making it all up in a human attempt to rationalize their success, just as you are.

The reason you are successful is not because of what you did, but because it was inevitable. It is a mathematical constant that eventually if you try hard enough, almost no matter the conditions and qualifications, you will succeed, and that is really all that anyone will ever truly need to know on the subject, as said by the successful (may I add award-winning and awesomesauce) Elspeth. The real trick is how to improve your personal craft and style, and for that, there is absolutely guaranteed nothing better than PRACTICE and FEEDBACK, and it is wrong that anyone should be asked to pay for the latter.

Every day, hundreds of composers, producers, and even non-musicians leave thousands of pieces of feedback via reviews on pieces on Newgrounds. We have a whole CLUB here devoted to giving reviews to anyone who asks, and a whole thread with the same purpose too. We don't need people coming in here and promising success and money and feedback when ALL OF THESE THINGS ARE FREE AND READILY ACCESSIBLE TO THOSE WHO HAVE THE MOTIVATION TO DO SO.

If you still want to charge money for this stuff, then I suggest you bring your "work" elsewhere, and study your audience first next time! Maybe you should send personalized e-mails to 500 prospective "students" you find on Soundcloud or bandcamp something. Even on there, most people give feedback completely free.

Peace out.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-05 06:26:38

Networking can be a helpful experience. It can't replace persistence, consistency, and follow-through. Seek out worthy teammates, practice, study and execute your craft. Also, get a hobby. Downtime can be awesome in moderation.

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-05 07:31:25

At 9/5/14 12:32 AM, ZipZipper wrote:

"oops" indeed. I like your meme by the way. Oh and your pun there - you're a witty guy.

Anway what I'm offering here is one to one guidance for musicians who are a few steps behind myself along their journey. Getting your first paid project is very different from getting your 20th - breaking in can be tough, and I've recently done it myself, so I'm up for helping others.

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-05 07:37:18

At 9/5/14 03:13 AM, samulis wrote:
Not another one of these "I'll make u rich and successful" threads... >_<

lol it's not

If you still want to charge money for this stuff, then I suggest you bring your "work" elsewhere, and study your audience first next time! Maybe you should send personalized e-mails to 500 prospective "students" you find on Soundcloud or bandcamp something. Even on there, most people give feedback completely free.

great tip thanks. I feel as if there's an air of resentment about the fact that I'm choosing to charge a small fee here. I'm just testing at the moment, so the fee is very small. I'm just looking for people who are committed and who'll take the course through the whole way.

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-05 19:56:57

Tell ya what, since you're promising paid projects, and seem confident of success, how's this offer: You teach me your course, and I'll give you 30% of what I make from my music for the duration of the course. If what you're teaching works, you stand to make more money that way than a 'small fee' up front, and I stand to make a good deal more than I'm making as a songwriter. It's win-win!

You in?

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-06 06:55:32

At 9/5/14 07:56 PM, Ceevro wrote: Tell ya what, since you're promising paid projects, and seem confident of success, how's this offer: You teach me your course, and I'll give you 30% of what I make from my music for the duration of the course.

as I mentioned previously, I'm not an agent ;)

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-06 10:01:06

At 9/6/14 06:55 AM, mrjeffferson wrote:
At 9/5/14 07:56 PM, Ceevro wrote: Tell ya what, since you're promising paid projects, and seem confident of success, how's this offer: You teach me your course, and I'll give you 30% of what I make from my music for the duration of the course.

You say the fee is about the students' commitment and not your personal gain, but you just turned away a guy committed enough to offer you a third of whatever he gets thanks to your course.

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/ryunocore

Need custom music or SFX for your project? http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1361543

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-06 13:27:19

At 9/6/14 06:55 AM, mrjeffferson wrote:

If you are actually promising success, I have no idea why you didn't jump on this offer. I'd take it even if I didn't promise success! You sound awfully lacking of confidence in a possible pupil for someone who is so confident that you know how to milk the system. The only system you seem to know how to milk is the poor young musicians you are bribing into your "tutelage" with false promises with the way you are painting yourself in this thread!

There are people who are trying to make a difference here, to inspire musicians of all ages to work harder. People who run contests, giving prize money out of their own earnings, people who review hundreds of pieces and provide thousands of words of feedback monthly out of nothing but charity, individuals who regularly frequent the forum or skype chat sharing their findings, education, and more without even asking for a tip. If you want to make money off of what is in your head, why don't you go try to become a music teacher? Oh? Don't have enough experience? Darn... guess you'll have to spend another 5 years at least learning all the other stuff you need to learn in order to teach and make your $30k/year!

There is no fast lane. There is no magic cheat. There is no such thing as quick success, only luck, experience, persistence, and name-drops within circles. A half-dozen books and dozens of interviews on the subject have taught me that much.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-06 16:33:05

At 9/6/14 01:27 PM, samulis wrote:
why don't you go try to become a music teacher? Oh? Don't have enough experience? Darn... guess you'll have to spend another 5 years at least learning all the other stuff you need to learn in order to teach and make your $30k/year!

OKAY??? Yaaas you bettah tell em!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-06 16:36:33

Well, in that case, you want me to take all the risk. Sorry, but that's not how this works. First, I'm not a bad musician, and I have been getting more paid work as a musician of late. I'd love to break into the market that you're talking about, and if you know how, then you should have no problem teaching me your secrets, and taking a cut of my success.

By refusing my offer, you have only convinced me that you have no clue at all how to get paid work, hence your lack of confidence in this system that you're trying to sell.

BTW, for the rest of you reading this thread: You know how I can get paid work composing for games/films/ads/corporate projects? You all know what my level of musical skill is, and you know what my rate of output is. Anyone else willing to take me up on that offer? Show me how to gain a paying market, and you'll get 30% of what I make, for one year (a reasonable period of mentorship, I think). Who here is a real mentor? I need one.

Response to How To Find your first paid project 2014-09-07 03:50:22

At 9/5/14 07:37 AM, mrjeffferson wrote: I feel as if there's an air of resentment about the fact that I'm choosing to charge a small fee here. I'm just testing at the moment, so the fee is very small. I'm just looking for people who are committed and who'll take the course through the whole way.

There's an air of resentment because you have nothing to show, you just appeared in our community and decided we should pay you money for a service you openly admit isn't even completely thought out... While everyone else in this community will offer you the same, and likely better, advice for free.

If you want to test the waters, you should not be so arrogant to assume we owe you money for it right off the bat when you have nothing to show it works.

You need to crawl before you can walk... and walk before you can run.

I don't see this going much anywhere else given the response so far, so I'm gonna lock this. If you were confident in your teachings, the offer you got above should have been a no brainer... but good luck selling this to anyone if you turn down such an offer in favor of straight up cash... basically admitting you don't think it will work.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature