00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

YouTube and Animators

104,156 Views | 284 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-07 11:38:13

Well said, Tom. WELL SAID. I haven't posted on Newgrounds for quite some time, and I don't watch flash videos like I used to. You're right, Newgrounds is special and really cleared the way for a site like YouTube to be what it is. Newgrounds was there first, plowed the streets and started the fire that allowed animators and artists be who they are on YouTube.

What saddens me is that a lot of them have forgotten that and are exclusively posting on YouTube. Like you said, it doesn't hurt to post it here and YouTube. Even animators like Egoraptor, who was all over the top 50 for years, and had to battle to keep his stuff OFF YouTube, no longer post to Newgrounds. He even made a video that told everyone to go watch them on Newgrounds where they were intended to be watched, but now he no longer posts his new content here.

You have created such an awesome thing and I wish you the best of luck with all of it. I was I was more of a content producer so I could join in the battle for Newgrounds. Never even finished my first animation :p I stuck to voice acting. Long live Newgrounds!

Mystic's 08 Voice Demo

Listen to my Demo and PM me if you want me to voice act for you, I'd be happy to help.

BBS Signature

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-07 12:31:00

At 8/7/14 07:11 AM, SwisherCovent wrote: Oh look, it's the guy who constantly used his front page post privilege to link to external sites.

Maybe you should look again.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-07 16:37:26

thankyou for the helpful advice

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-07 18:07:31

At 8/7/14 04:37 AM, JamalMason wrote:
At 8/6/14 10:49 PM, tonyfamous wrote: Hey, thanks for calling me a troll for having an opinion. Anyway, I guess this is what I was talking about and why we disagree. Instead of welcoming new content creators, wether you personally like their stuff or not, it's better, in your opinion to ban their stuff forever and then give them a little hate to boot. What a way to welcome new people to Newgrounds. Listen, I'm cool with low starring or thumbs downing crap, but as a content creator, I think blamming is a dick thing to do. Maybe, I'm wrong and maybe if you removed blaming the whole site would collapse and the world would end, but whatever, I don't really give a crap.
Looks like Voltage's response pretty much covered what i wanted to say.. however i will add; content is blammed when it receives too many negative votes. No single person is going around deleting peoples works. generally you are being judged by multiple artists and art lovers. There's no point in keeping content that no one wants to watch.

btw I am never serious when I say "nice troll m8"

Look, stuff like "nice troll m8" doesn't bother me. Again, about Blamming, I understand that my stuff, in particular is offbeat so I don't expect everybody to like me. But that's what I'm talking about. If you want a site with fresh content and new users and interesting stuff, then you have to allow all sorts of content that others may not like. When you Blam someone you boot off work that they put their heart, soul, whatever into. Everything someone posts on a site like this is a gift. Some stuff is experimental. Also, even guys like OneyNG or Egorapter started out somewhere. maybe they wouldn't be posting on a site like this as beginners if they had to deal with getting blamed. I don't know, but it's something to consider. Also, I'm sure a lot of people that post fresh content are starting out. maybe even kids. So when someone gets blammed and trashed, I feel what they would most likely do, or what I would have done if my 1st submission had gotten blammed, is say something like " Screw this site and go somewhere more friendly ". That's why I got now problem with a high or low star rating. Let everybody decide for themselves. Not just the first 50, or 100, or 200. If you are familiar with other content creators like the guy that does Spoderman or maybe Oliver at 24. you might agree that their style is rudimentary or amateurish, but I watch their videos all the time and find their content awesome. Anyway, maybe being a advocate for open-mindedness is not a great thing to be on the site, but on the bright side for everybody that advocates Blamming, I have no real input and I'm not in charge of changing anything so everybody can go about Blamming the hell out of whoever they feel like.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-07 18:26:58

At 8/7/14 05:55 AM, Voltage wrote:
At 8/7/14 04:09 AM, tonyfamous wrote: As it was, the not having flash thing kept me not posting for 3 years.
just sayin bro, i've been here for 11 years and i have had 3 works blammed out of the 18 submitted. that didn't keep me from NG, it made me want to make more and utilize more of what i learned. We don't have many 'strict' systems on the web about user driven content and facts will back me up, there is almost little to no user-driven content sites where an opposing opinion gets the work deleted.

I can see where you are coming from but this is newgrounds, not nurserygrounds. if the fans dont like your stuff it gets shot, nerfed, and hung like frankenstein.

I understand about trying to be a better animator and stuff like that and it's not my site and they can do whatever they want. What I was saying is that when I joined and submitted, as a new user, if my work had been Blammed, ( and it didn't get blammed ) I wouldn't have posted anymore. Why bother? I'm not here to impress everybody. I'm sharing. Anything I post, as well as what others post, is a gift. If a lot of people don't like it then why not just vote crap down? Why delete it. Deleting is a slap in the face to anyone and I feel posting stuff on a site where it might get deleted is annoying and wasteful of my time. To be honest, I haven't decide if I'm going to bother posting anything else here. I certainly didn't get a friendly welcome. Anyway, what I said initially, is if the site wants more content creators, then why do stuff like Blamming when the new content creators can just post new content on a multitude of other sites?

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-07 20:17:24

Nice post Tom!

I definitely agree that Newgrounds deserves a lot more credit than it's been receiving. It's always been one of my homes back when I first started animating; always wanting to get that daily feature or getting a really sweet score on my submission. Best of luck to everyone at NG!

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-07 22:41:26

If they don't come back then don't sweat it tom. Let them starve. If you owe your entire online presence to newgrounds and abandoned it completely then bye let them suffer.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-08 01:33:07

At 8/7/14 06:07 PM, tonyfamous wrote: Look, stuff like "nice troll m8" doesn't bother me. Again, about Blamming, I understand that my stuff, in particular is offbeat so I don't expect everybody to like me. But that's what I'm talking about. If you want a site with fresh content and new users and interesting stuff, then you have to allow all sorts of content that others may not like. When you Blam someone you boot off work that they put their heart, soul, whatever into. Everything someone posts on a site like this is a gift. Some stuff is experimental. Also, even guys like OneyNG or Egorapter started out somewhere. maybe they wouldn't be posting on a site like this as beginners if they had to deal with getting blamed. I don't know, but it's something to consider. Also, I'm sure a lot of people that post fresh content are starting out. maybe even kids. So when someone gets blammed and trashed, I feel what they would most likely do, or what I would have done if my 1st submission had gotten blammed, is say something like " Screw this site and go somewhere more friendly ". That's why I got now problem with a high or low star rating. Let everybody decide for themselves. Not just the first 50, or 100, or 200. If you are familiar with other content creators like the guy that does Spoderman or maybe Oliver at 24. you might agree that their style is rudimentary or amateurish, but I watch their videos all the time and find their content awesome. Anyway, maybe being a advocate for open-mindedness is not a great thing to be on the site, but on the bright side for everybody that advocates Blamming, I have no real input and I'm not in charge of changing anything so everybody can go about Blamming the hell out of whoever they feel like.

Well then.. looks like we've both presented our arguments and we both still disagree. I reject the notion that the Blamming system is detrimental to newgrounds and that it scares off potentially good content creators. I believe if you're going to be successful at animating, writing, composing... fuck any thing artistic really, you won't stop at the first bump in the road. any way it seem there's no point in debating further as we're both set in our views and i don't see either of us changing the others mind. I guess that's all there is to say.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-08 02:32:13

Sadly, Tom, I myself have been neglecting Newgrounds, once my favorite site for videos/flash animations, in favor of viewing the content on Youtube. Why? Why would someone who has been on Newgrounds since 2005 forsake the site in favor of Youtube? Those annoying fucking unskipable ads. Yes, Youtube has ads, but they are SKIPPABLE after only 5 seconds, or if not, are only 15 seconds in length. I get that you need revenue, but the ads are just annoying.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-08 07:17:42

Hey Tom, just like to thank you for the support you give to all of NG content creators, I have recently been debating whether or not I should upload anything to NG and if there would be any draw if I didn't but after reading this I have decided to upload on both platforms as you advised.

Thanks for the help and support

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-08 07:58:45

I am a first year animation student, and I hope to make my start into the animation community later this year with my first video.

As i have only heard about the youtube animator screw earlier today, I feel a damper on my dreams, but I have always loved NG and I will continue to love it.

It has become clear to me that Youtube is not the answer. So NG you're back in the game, but i don't think you were ever truly out!

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-08 08:44:57

I have fond memories of spending plenty of time on Newgrounds with my friends. I thought it would be cool if someday I could contribute with my own animations. With me eventually taking an interest in animation, I've come to a point where I can create animations and share them with people here. I'm happy to be a part of it and plan on posting more content for people to enjoy.

Cheers to Newgrounds!

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-08 08:47:01

At 8/8/14 01:33 AM, JamalMason wrote:
At 8/7/14 06:07 PM, tonyfamous wrote: Look, stuff like "nice troll m8" doesn't bother me. Again, about Blamming, I understand that my stuff, in particular is offbeat so I don't expect everybody to like me. But that's what I'm talking about. If you want a site with fresh content and new users and interesting stuff, then you have to allow all sorts of content that others may not like. When you Blam someone you boot off work that they put their heart, soul, whatever into. Everything someone posts on a site like this is a gift. Some stuff is experimental. Also, even guys like OneyNG or Egorapter started out somewhere. maybe they wouldn't be posting on a site like this as beginners if they had to deal with getting blamed. I don't know, but it's something to consider. Also, I'm sure a lot of people that post fresh content are starting out. maybe even kids. So when someone gets blammed and trashed, I feel what they would most likely do, or what I would have done if my 1st submission had gotten blammed, is say something like " Screw this site and go somewhere more friendly ". That's why I got now problem with a high or low star rating. Let everybody decide for themselves. Not just the first 50, or 100, or 200. If you are familiar with other content creators like the guy that does Spoderman or maybe Oliver at 24. you might agree that their style is rudimentary or amateurish, but I watch their videos all the time and find their content awesome. Anyway, maybe being a advocate for open-mindedness is not a great thing to be on the site, but on the bright side for everybody that advocates Blamming, I have no real input and I'm not in charge of changing anything so everybody can go about Blamming the hell out of whoever they feel like.
Well then.. looks like we've both presented our arguments and we both still disagree. I reject the notion that the Blamming system is detrimental to newgrounds and that it scares off potentially good content creators. I believe if you're going to be successful at animating, writing, composing... fuck any thing artistic really, you won't stop at the first bump in the road. any way it seem there's no point in debating further as we're both set in our views and i don't see either of us changing the others mind. I guess that's all there is to say.

Yikes, I have one more thing to say. Maybe 2. ;-) I never just meant that Blamming scares off just good or great content creators. I meant it removes content that some may not consider good, but others may consider good or great and if it does that, then it also removes the content creators and the people who would come to the site and the enjoy the content created by these content creators. I don't know, guys like the guy who makes Spoderman might be blammed, for example. I'm pretty sure the guy who makes Oliver at 24 got blammed and he has tons of followers that might visit the site. In my case, my first submission was something I chose specifically to see how the people on the site would react towards my post and other stuff I might post. I mean I have more animations that some might have considered better and some might have considered worse. My first submission was something that I considered very oddball, offbeat and experimental to me. O.K. so far not a lot of people like it, but some do. And if it had gotten Blammed then the viewers who liked it wouldn't have seen it on the site and I wouldn't have posted anything else, because in my case I would have felt like " Well why bother if my posts might be arbitrarily deleted. " My presence on the site would have been gone and I wouldn't be hanging out here like I am now. Anyway, before we part ways, I'd just like to tell you one more thing about myself. I used to hang on a site called funny or Die. I would post, interact with people who commented on my stuff and then watch videos from people who were posting like me. So one day the site decided not to accept submissions. Guess what? I split and I haven't hung there in years. Anyway, nice having the mini debate with you and good luck and best wishes in you future endeavors.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-09 09:13:04

A thousand times this. I'm really tired of what Youtube has become. It's not what it once was, and to be frank, I get more views, input and support from NG than I do from Youtube. So with that, I'll be uploading my graduation film within the next week (providing my internet can deal with the upload). Keep your eyes peeled, and many thanks to Tom and the other great guys and gals at NGs!

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-12 10:56:37

It saddens me to see how much in-fighting is going on in this thread instead of ways for people to band together and support each other.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-16 07:32:41

At 8/8/14 01:33 AM, JamalMason wrote:

Yes being persistent, and not giving up and getting over the bumps in the road to be a great animator is great and all, but what I had been saying about Blamming, when it comes to Newgrounds, is that why should a Website that is trying to attract new talent and contributors and members, throw bumps in the road? Personally, I never care about who likes or doesn't like what I do, but to have it removed because a bunch of random people don't like it!?! Sorry, but that's not what I consider a friendly, welcoming website that is trying to attract new members and I wouldn't hang past the first deletion. Maybe me not hanging isn't a bid deal to most others, but for a second, consider how many others might feel this way.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-16 09:43:33

Whoah. It's crazy that I missed this post earlier (I haven't been able to be that active, due to my current life situation). Although I'm late for the show, I have to say I agree with everything I read here. I haven't always been a member on the site, but I've been hanging around Newgrounds for about 10 years, and I've seen most of its different developments. I remember Newgrounds being really big back in the day too!
I'm impressed that this site has been running for so long, and it certainly deserves to keep running for much longer. I really like everything that NG aspires for, so I wish that the site will once again keep growing. Thanks to all the staff for keeping Newgrounds alive and relevant; I've never been so invloved in any other online comminity, as this one has been full of opportunities for me, which I'm grateful for!
Newgrounds really is a place for all kinds of content creators, as well as for people who simply want to be entertained (not to mention the forums). I think it's great that the site keeps developing and adapting to new changes.
Since the will to live is so strong, I too think that Newgrounds deserves all the recognition it can get, since there is no other site quite like this, and with all of its history.
I wish you the best of luck with Newgrounds in the future, and I hope to stay pretty invloved myself too :3

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-31 20:21:30

At 8/3/14 01:22 PM, TomFulp wrote:
My pessimism has helped me achieve some great things in life (you keep working when you aren't satisfied) but it has also hurt me because I constantly undersell my accomplishments, NG especially. I'll say now that NG is the best thing that ever happened on the Internet and it deserves to be recognized. The NG staff shows up every day and keeps making NG better, through boom and bust for nearly 20 years, and no site is more deserving of success than Newgrounds.

Here here!
I think I'll be posting on Newgrounds until the day I die. Money or no money, it's the best!

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-09-06 20:27:05

At 8/3/14 01:46 PM, Jojo55 wrote: I think a big reason YT got more popular so fast was that NG used to be Flash only. Not everyone can afford Flash (or knows how to pirate it) or even wants it. We only recently got support for real video formats. Not all animation (or games) is Flash and Flash will probably be dead one day.

"You snooze you loose," is the cliché. Next time the new big thing rolls around, whether it be a new video format or whatever, you just gotta get it before YT. The more advantages NG has over YT, the better.

BINGO, Flash has a horrible reputation! Now that you guys are accepting video my After Effects projects will be very much at home here =D

The news of Youtube's algorithm shift was heartbreaking (and my recommended videos are all boring talking heads now). I hope this site becomes a viable alternative given time.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-09-22 22:46:42

I've been loyal to NG for a long time! making animations since 2009...when I wanted to start making money, I use all the Ad System, and I get to make a few $$$.
I didnt use NG for the last months, and now i realized it change the system :s

because im not american, I have to make another contract and I really dont understand how it works :(

Could anyone explain me all this new system for foreign animators?

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-10-27 01:50:33

Well, you've convinced me!

I've been getting started on youtube, here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOp66HoCzZcA1_FCkhDU0Mw/videos

But now per recommendation from Jazza I'm starting out at Newgrounds and seeing where that goes.

Thanks for sharing!

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-10-30 10:28:11

I happen to be one of those animators. Then again I have been on youtube for the last 8 years, before making an account here. I used to head to Newgrounds for all the animaitons and games, and I really love this site, but haven't really used it to it's full potential. I posted one aniamtion way back in 2009, and then got caught up in YouTube as it seemed the better option for gaining a viewership. But since you reccomend using both platforms I have decided to come back and start uploading my stuff here again.

I really miss using this site, and hope to become regular again :)

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-10-30 10:34:29

At 10/30/14 10:28 AM, naysu wrote: I really miss using this site, and hope to become regular again :)

Looking forward to seeing you around!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-10-30 11:10:29

At 10/30/14 10:34 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 10/30/14 10:28 AM, naysu wrote: I really miss using this site, and hope to become regular again :)
Looking forward to seeing you around!

Thanks! :D

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-12-15 20:48:49 (edited 2014-12-15 20:49:50)

At 8/3/14 01:39 PM, TecNoir wrote: Are we doing anything to bring YouTubers here? How do we recruit users other than the word of mouth?

more boobs

Response to YouTube and Animators 2015-02-16 04:05:16

You know...after seeing the Gods of internet animation- my idols, those that give me something to aspire to in my time as an animator- rally together around this Youtube fiasco, I feel proud to consider myself a member of this community. It really gives me hope that maybe, just maybe, Newgrounds can see another golden age.

Let's make it happen, folks!

YouTube and Animators

When in Rome, leave.

BBS Signature

Response to YouTube and Animators 2015-03-19 12:33:05 (edited 2015-03-19 12:34:51)

At 8/3/14 01:22 PM, TomFulp wrote: These past few days a number of prominent animators have come out about the bleak future of animation on YouTube. Commenters keep opining, "If only there was an alternative to YouTube!" I'm here to tell you, there IS an alternative to YouTube and you're looking at it.

I agree. The way people alienate this website is hurtful.

Newgrounds has given animators a platform since 1999 and the majority of established web animators got their start here. We had real-time publishing for five years before YouTube existed and even beat their Partner Program to the punch with our Flash Ads system.

So Youtube stole your popularity.

When YouTube first launched, animators weren't particularly interested. Its growth was largely based on television and other entertainment piracy. Over the years, animators started having their work stolen and posted to YouTube, at which point they began managing their own accounts as a defensive measure. The real tipping point came when YouTube introduced Networks. To limit their liability and outsource the effort of dealing with independent artists, YouTube allowed third party companies to establish networks and receive a premium CPM, so they could incentivize artists to join under their network umbrellas.

Sounds bad, but interesting.

Individual networks raised tens of millions of dollars in venture capital to fuel rapid expansion. This created a lot of "bubble" money in the YouTube ecosystem; guaranteed CPMs, acquisitions of exclusive content, etc. It works out when these companies get sold for multiples of what investors put into them. Maker sold for $500-950 million based on having a bunch of contracts with popular YouTube channels.

Seems NG took a huge beating while Youtube made millions.

In comparison, NG has no outside funding and CPMs have traditionally been shit, due to our lax censorship policy and a history of controversial content.

Go on.

As the YouTube money grew, priorities shifted. Instead of being THE platform, Newgrounds became a springboard to move people to YouTube. Our front page blog space became filled with artists promoting their YouTube pages and a lot of the movies (still SWF format at the time) had "Watch on YouTube" buttons that were larger than the "Play" buttons. Our front page was essentially a big redirect to YouTube.

Well hate to bring it to you Tom, even to this day NG is still a redirect to Youtube. Although I plan to make a redirect to NG when my movie releases.

That wasn't the only thing working against NG though. Our CPMs declined as ad dollars moved into video and social advertising, not to mention the ubiquity of AdBlock. Game developers were losing confidence in Flash and jumping over to mobile and Steam. The last few years were a huge existential crisis for NG, as we shed staff and reduced other operating expenses, while also working to adapt.

This sounds really bad.

We added support for animation in video format and released Swivel, the best ever SWF to video conversion tool, used by most web animators today. We knew this would speed up the migration to YouTube but we thought people would at least keep posting to NG; sadly a lot of them took the free software and ran.

Okay this is not fair. How dare they treat you like this?

I got it though; NG had failed them miserably. Web animators were growing up and they wanted to make a living; that wasn't happening with NG. I felt like this was a deserved punishment because NG hadn't lived up to its potential and I spent a few years beating myself up about it.

That's how I feel too. The truth is Tom, you block certain potential things on this website. You want this website to be different yet not everybody is in agreement with it. If my NG featured film becomes the reason for your website to live tomorrow, there are going to have to be changes too.

I know you prefer flash, but I believe NG can have LIVE videos and not the type on YouTube. What will be different is that we make it ourselves and compete for front page. I think you might even see lots to of new people join and proudly be artists. You could also make it a separate portal.

Now, though, our potential is growing. NG is paying its bills and payouts to content producers are rising each month. In addition to video support, we accept games made with HTML5 and Unity. We're running video pre-roll ads on all of it and the fill-rate keeps improving.

That's good.

I can't promise that you will ever make a living off NG but I can promise that taking the time to involve yourself with NG will only help you. It won't take away from your YouTube views or your YouTube revenue and if anything will win you new fans and put extra money in your pocket.

I never came here for the money. I'm doing this for you and NG as a whole.

There's no reason for you to give YouTube exclusive content if they aren't paying you for exclusive content. In fact, showing YouTube they AREN'T the only game in town is the one thing that will make them work harder for you.

True.

Post your animations on YouTube but post them on NG too! Nurture fans on both platforms and the combined fanbase will translate to larger numbers on Facebook and Twitter. Tell fans about your stuff on NG! There was a time when social media didn't exist; you uploaded content to NG and depended on the NG front page to tell people. Now everyone has their own social media fans and they send them to YouTube exclusively. Mix it up a little! Make some people at YouTube jealous!

Be careful too Tom because you are going to have spies on your site. You might even need spies on theirs.

I didn't have the confidence to say this in the past because our CPMs were too low but we are getting more and more competitive and your support will speed up our progress. Our profits don't go to investors, they go towards sponsorships, contests and cool stuff like those Wacom giveaways we once had every December. We've streamlined the hell out of NG and NG doesn't make money unless the community is making money, so we don't win unless you do.

Fair enough.

My pessimism has helped me achieve some great things in life (you keep working when you aren't satisfied) but it has also hurt me because I constantly undersell my accomplishments, NG especially. I'll say now that NG is the best thing that ever happened on the Internet and it deserves to be recognized. The NG staff shows up every day and keeps making NG better, through boom and bust for nearly 20 years, and no site is more deserving of success than NG.

Agreed though make sure you listen to suggestions your fellow NG members make.

So to close this out...

We hope to see your next animation!

See this is what I mean by NG not living to its full potential. Expand to more varieties. You did it for games didn't you. You have even published at least two NG Live movies.

I believe you can pull it off. I truly do.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2015-03-19 18:17:40

At 3/19/15 12:33 PM, Master-Awesome wrote: I know you prefer flash, but I believe NG can have LIVE videos and not the type on YouTube. What will be different is that we make it ourselves and compete for front page. I think you might even see lots to of new people join and proudly be artists. You could also make it a separate portal.

This is antithetical to what NG exists for, as I understand it. Maybe my apprehension comes from watching cartoon channels I loved as a child, like Nickelodeon and Disney, convert to cringeworthy, ludicrously bad schedules stuffed full of live-action shows with piss-poor acting and even worse writing because such programs were cheaper to produce and they could maximize profit and investor interest. I just don't believe such a strategy has a place here.

That's because NG nurtures artists, not entrepreneurs. It's pure because it's the artists who own it. You'll have a hard time finding any other outlet that truly depends on its community to live, while it lives for its community.

Moving closer to Youtube with things like live videos will move this place away from that purity. It doesn't take an artist to make a video. It doesn't take practice to edit a string of shots together. It doesn't take patience to come up with a skit and record it on the spot. With a skill ceiling so low you'd have to crouch to fit beneath it, the motivation moves away from the work itself and into pure profit.

Here's what NG does have that Youtube never will, though:

At 12/15/14 08:48 PM, Rixxx wrote: more boobs

That's our strength. We're free from entrepreneurs and we can take risks as artists.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2015-03-19 19:01:23

At 3/19/15 06:17 PM, DragonTherapist wrote:
At 3/19/15 12:33 PM, Master-Awesome wrote: I know you prefer flash, but I believe NG can have LIVE videos and not the type on YouTube. What will be different is that we make it ourselves and compete for front page. I think you might even see lots to of new people join and proudly be artists. You could also make it a separate portal.
This is antithetical to what NG exists for, as I understand it. Maybe my apprehension comes from watching cartoon channels I loved as a child, like Nickelodeon and Disney, convert to cringeworthy, ludicrously bad schedules stuffed full of live-action shows with piss-poor acting and even worse writing because such programs were cheaper to produce and they could maximize profit and investor interest. I just don't believe such a strategy has a place here.

I don't want poor acting either. That's why I'm putting my best foot foreword and spent nearly $5000 or more on producing an NG worthy film. I'm even working on good acting and everything. I'm even doing this FREE and FOR FUN. I have no means for profit.

That's because NG nurtures artists, not entrepreneurs. It's pure because it's the artists who own it. You'll have a hard time finding any other outlet that truly depends on its community to live, while it lives for its community.

You do have a point, but that's my own problem.

Moving closer to Youtube with things like live videos will move this place away from that purity. It doesn't take an artist to make a video. It doesn't take practice to edit a string of shots together. It doesn't take patience to come up with a skit and record it on the spot. With a skill ceiling so low you'd have to crouch to fit beneath it, the motivation moves away from the work itself and into pure profit.

Entrepreneurs will exist no matter what. It doesn't take a LIVE film to make them exist. Yes, I agree making a movie takes a lot patience and hard work, but acting as if I'm meaning to take something away.

I only mean to expand to more varieties.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2015-03-20 01:39:31

At 3/19/15 07:01 PM, Master-Awesome wrote: I don't want poor acting either. That's why I'm putting my best foot foreword and spent nearly $5000 or more on producing an NG worthy film. I'm even working on good acting and everything. I'm even doing this FREE and FOR FUN. I have no means for profit.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that you're making a movie about NG. I hope you share it wherever there may be people who don't yet know about the site and I hope it brings in throngs of curious newcomers.

Entrepreneurs will exist no matter what. It doesn't take a LIVE film to make them exist. Yes, I agree making a movie takes a lot patience and hard work, but acting as if I'm meaning to take something away.

I only mean to expand to more varieties.

What kind of well-liked work on Newgrounds is analogous to all the airheaded ditzes video blogging about the mountains of crap they bought for school, or shrieking obnoxious douchebags playing and overreacting to computer games, or anyone else hopping on some trending viral video archetype to make a quick buck? Youtube is kind of a cesspool because channels like those exist to churn out vapid content while begging for likes and subscribers and being immune to criticism. Those are the entrepreneurs I'm talking about.