00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

YouTube and Animators

104,131 Views | 284 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-04 13:56:22

Isn't Patreon a better plateform for animators than NG ?

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-04 14:13:40

It's hard to imagine NG being able to serve the next generation of people watching online content when there's not even an app for the "channel". I don't know about other folks, but I watch 90% of everything I watch on my phone or iPad via the Youtube app. The app would give NG something to actually pitch to people on the fly. Get NG an app that functions the way Youtube's app functions and I'm on board 100%.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-04 14:15:32

At 8/4/14 01:56 PM, CommandantDouche wrote: Isn't Patreon a better plateform for animators than NG ?

Patreon doesn't host videos. You're just linking your videos from Patreon, so those animators still require a hosting platoform (unless they're hosting the videos themselves).

Patreon is basically about people patroning artists that they like -- and they'll usually get behind the scenes access, art prints or even original artwork for their patronage.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-04 14:19:50

Oh -- also? I've thought for awhile that having a censored version of your animation on Youtube and having an uncensored version on NG might be a good way to broaden one's audience and to bring more eyes to NG overall.

(Also, get that app going)

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-04 15:56:17

It's true. I get the most exposure here then anywhere. I released a cartoon here and it's gotten +400 views. Not much, but on YouTube it barely got 100. Newgrounds gives so much more attention to it's content it's crazy. I recently stated I was going to leave because of the low views, but let's face it. This is the best platform for animations.

I think i'll stay.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-04 16:50:34

" I'll say now that NG is the best thing that ever happened on the Internet and it deserves to be recognized. "

Fuck yes.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-04 16:51:31

A world without Newgrounds would be a sad world indeed :L. I've been coming here ever for a long time now, and this site gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Here we are eight years later, and I'm working with Evil-Dog on a project I never thought I would even be interested in, yet alone a part of.

The same Evil-Dog that made one of the games that made me signup for here, (even though I played it awhile after it was released) the Punk-O-Matic. And now here I am, working with him and a bunch of other great writers and artist on an app thats far from the Punk-O-Matic, and I couldn't be any happier to be a part of it, and for it to be up here on Newgrounds.

I don't think I'll ever stop coming here, thanks to all the talent spread across all the portals, even the lesser known ones. And I hope this site is here for many years to come.

Preferably with a writing portal :L.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-04 17:23:26

It's a joy to read all your heartfelt sentiments, and I love to see how these past couple of years have brought us Newgrounders together. We're a family, aren't we? The internet has a lot of communities, but Newgrounds surely is the capital of everything creative. And don't all roads lead to Rome?

BBS Signature

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-04 17:28:07

Been on this site for 5 years. I'm not leaving ;)
I'm pleased to see you guys care about the future of Newgrounds, this is the best community on the internet for sure. :)
Also never allow live action on NewGrounds or I'm out..

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-04 17:33:06

This has given me a lot more motivation to continue animating - thanks!

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-04 18:29:56

Newgrounds is and will always be THE place to put up cool animation and games. I love the direction you are talking about. You already have a huge dedicated user base and the internet is a far better place with this site around.

Keep on keeping on!

-Tim

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-04 18:42:32

Beautiful post, so much truth. It's been a joy to watch Newgrounds grow and you can bet your bottom dollar I'll still be around here tomorrow, and the next day, on on and on like the song that never ends.

Keep up the great work, everyone involved on the NG staff and all the wonderful animators who have influenced me and touched my life over the years.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-04 18:51:46

You keep praising the CPMs of the site, but I never got a cent out of this, to the point where I realized I wasn't there to make money, but to make videos and learning more about animation. I'm now using YouTube because I got more audience than Newgrounds. The same video on Newgrounds and YouTube got 9482 views here, and 545,329 views on YouTube, that's more than 57 times the views. And no, not a single one of my videos is monetized on YouTube.

My problem with Newgrounds isn't even with the views, it's with the way it handles comments and votes. YouTube allows only one vote by user on a video, while Newgrounds allow one by IP address by day, that's just perfect for any troll who wants to watch the world burn, and the way comments are working here doesn't allow someone to reply to a reply to a comment like YouTube does, so the discussion is almost inexistent for a video.

Also, Svivel is a good software for converting Flash videos, but it ruins the colour of the video, and it's incredibly annoying to use because every single time you start it you are forced to see a splash screen with an intro music that is too loud and to wait until the intro animation is done to use it.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-04 21:16:43

At 8/4/14 06:51 PM, Player-exe wrote: The same video on Newgrounds and YouTube got 9482 views here, and 545,329 views on YouTube, that's more than 57 times the views. And no, not a single one of my videos is monetized on YouTube.

Its fair to say that there are a lot more brony's on youtube than NG. You've found your market!

None

BBS Signature

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-04 22:20:01

I been into animation for a bit over 12 years, animating and learning while developing a Bibble of ideas, sketches and writing. For the most part, my focus has been on Original content (despite I have very little up atm with a half finished episode), looking on how Youtube decided to change every day (algorithms) and favor Trends and Parodies, its been hard to wrap my head around anything original knowing it won't be seen by many.

Lately I been thinking more on doing game/anime/cartoon parodies before I get deeper into my originals, but to be honest its frighting thinking chances only the parody work will get attention, that is until I thought of Newgrounds. Parody work will be king even in NG, but there's a real opportunity to expose and express here without much fear, everything has a goo chance to be liked as long as its well put together.

I'm also a Youtube partner and part of Channel Frederator, once again I lack content (not for long), I really dig the program but it really pushes Animators to work with "Youtube Standards", and these days we aren't getting too favored, that said I really must thank Tom for reminding me there are other outputs where animators can strive to the very least get known.

I'm eager to post fresh new work here on NG!

BBS Signature

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-04 22:26:55

In fact, Youtube it is the best place to promotion, animations and make good monet with good work.

Newgrounds is more for beginners in animation and for games.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-04 22:38:58

I would love to come back to NewGrounds, I really would. Not from a production standpoint (I don't do big projects any more) more as a viewer, but there's one thing stopping me from really casually coming back to NewGrounds.

I can't watch videos here. At least, not .SWF videos, no idea about anything else. I don't know what's going on from the optimization end of this website but I can't even show my friends stuff I did in the long long past, as when I open up a NewGrounds animation from either my computer or my laptop, flash stops responding and the tab I have open crashes. This has been going on for quite a while now, and i'd really like to see something be done about it. If it helps, I'm using google chrome and the two computers i'm using are a PC and a Mac respectively.

I grew up artistically from this place, I'm never going to forget it, but I haven't been able to come back quite yet. Good luck in bringing back NewGrounds popularity, I want this place to succeed again.

Sig made by me

Once again i'm falling down a mountain like a metaphor

Here ends another post by the grand master of all things: fluffkomix

BBS Signature

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-04 22:53:26

I got a question, I uploaded some animations here long ago, but I upload more frequent to Youtube because they make it easier with the ads, here I have to copy/paste a coding to the flash to make the ad work plus I have to fulfill a format sheet because I'm not from the U.S., so I can actually cash the income.

Is it possible if you can make easier or friendly use the way to use the ad system? On youtube all you have to do is "Click" enable the ad and that's it, I think that helps them a lot too for animators who don't have to have to deal with the "enabling the ad" on their animations.

I hope my point is understandable, if not let me know and I can clear it out.

Also, I make animations about "learning Japanese" Most of the time here , only animations that get popular are fart, sexual or funny jokes that make the big jump and not the "educational" ones like mine, so I guess that also do not motivate me to continue to upload on newgrounds.

Isn't possible to divide the categories of animations? That could help more.

Thoughts?

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-04 23:22:43

Just got my girlfriend an account here - she cant stop playing games :P

LONG LIVE NEWGROUNDS!

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-04 23:42:45

How dare I forget it was this site back in 2001 that made grab a pirate copy of Flash and start wanting to make my own shorts. Fast forward to the present and I've purchased various animation software and have had moderate success as a YouTuber...until the recent view killing changes. I'll certainly consider migrating over here-the site I definitely owe my thanks to for the influence.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-05 00:33:10

It goes without saying that the main reason for a lack of people using Youtube over Newgrounds to try and make a living is the fact that Youtube is much more popular than Newgrounds. Obviously this lack of popularity comes largely from the fact that Newgrounds serves a niche in Flash products, while Youtube has the capacity for any kind of video content. However, I think another big reason for NG's small user base is the UI. I'm obsessed with animation in general, and that's a majority of what I enjoy on Youtube, but I haven't gotten that much into Newgrounds (I made an account just to make this post) because the website design is super confusing to me. It's hard to tell what's what and, and I've found it especially hard to browse for different content creators. Comments (or "Responses") are also pretty confusing, the fact that you need to enter HTML commands to use different kinds of text. Some might argue that this is part of the charm, but the fact is that the your casual internet user would be confused by this. I think this is probably something that turns off content consumers who are new to this site, and I think the reason websites like Youtube and Facebook are popular because of their easy to digest interfaces. Whatever you want to call it, "streamlining" or "dumbing it down", I think an interface redesign is vital to Newgrounds' expansion. But that's just my two cents.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-05 00:34:36

Truth be, I could never feel what I feel for NG with Youtube. All about Newgrounds is pure art and fun, while Youtube moves millions out of [mostly] utter shit. I fell in love with this webpage since I was first able to use a computer, and it has never dissapointed me since. I've been a direct witness to it's decline, prizes and the crowdy community have declined, but I certainly hope --actually expect-- for this amazing page to arise from the ashes and return bigger, fatter and tastier than ever before. Neveertheless...thank you NG for the ride so far, Tom and all you wonderful fellas. You made true art get to my eyes, ears and hands like no one has. If it wasn't for NG, I wouldn't be so clearly sure and passionate about art and living for it as I am right now.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-05 00:36:34

Ach *Lack of people using Newgrounds over Youtube.*

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-05 00:40:31

I've taken my time and have now formulated a response to this.
I joined Newgrounds ages ago, essentially just to comment on things I liked, favorite games, and be a stupid twelve year old. Years later, I started to give animation a try, because I really liked Ren and Stimpy. I avoided Newgrounds because I thought my cartoons at that time were too crap for this site, and would just get blamed. Once I got a little better, I uploaded some small loop files and they got the reactions I expected. Some guys thought they were funny, others didn't see the point to them, or thought they were an autistic waste of 30 seconds.
I later learned about file compression and decided to take a shot in the dark and upload one of my older cartoons. I was so nervous, I actually went back and cleaned up a drawing that bothered me in it, just to avoid getting shit. I put it up and was actually so over joyed to see it on the top of the "Best New Games & Movies," list, that I took a screen-cap of it. I even got very positive feedback comment wise, aside from some who didn't like butt jokes. Those individuals however, were still constructive about everything else. It didn't actually get featured, which I never expected, but the fact that on that day, Tom actually took the fucking time to promote my cartoon, as well as several others who didn't get a Daily Feature, sparked something in me.
Hell, I personally thanked him.
That little push for my first non loop cartoon was enough to make me fall in love with this site, due to its genuine support of its artists. This encouraged me to keep uploading some old stuff, as well as to continue posting cartoons I had recently finished. I have a screen-cap of every cartoon that got a daily feature. I even use this site as a resume almost, because I'm genuinely proud of what I've put here.
I don't want to regress into bragging now, so I'll stop gloating on successes. The point is, Tom, this site, and its community have kept me going as an animator. I've even received a few PMs encouraging me to gun for art colleges, just based off of things I said in responses.
I'd like to see this site succeed and continue to succeed, because its one of the few websites right now, that I genuinely like. I don't expect to make a living off of my internet cartoons, I only want to keep doing what I like, with a community that I like.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-05 00:48:17

The only reason I ever wanted to animate in the first place was due to newgrounds.

Only recently have I gotten to the point that I might start posting my works, but this place will always be a sanctuary of free ideas and beautiful art, even with its share of stupid things too haha.

Tom, I've been here since I could access the internet, and I'll be here until the internet itself is destroyed.

I love this place

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-05 01:10:46

I wish these people can continue making a living on their individually produced animations, but I do not think that a solution to this YouTube and Animators problem will come anytime soon. I don't think that animators will make a comeback to Newgrounds but a part of my secretly wishes this happens. When animators return to NG, they wont be making the buck they had made on YouTube, and that will seriously deter anyone from coming back.

BBS Signature

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-05 01:16:53

the AAA is here to take over, fuckers our time 2 shine

YouTube and Animators

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-05 02:11:43

You hit on the dot man, but what people need to understand is the difference between a hobby and job. Look, NG is a GREAT place and it has a fucking awesome and loyal community. It's a place where animators, musicians, game devs and other content creators can show their stuff to the world and it's place for everyday people to enjoy that user created content. But people can't get mad at Tom or YouTube because they see a decline in money from their hobby. Their are plenty of artist who had normal jobs until their actual product sold (Jhonen Vaquez is one that comes to mind), and in the end, that's what is. You can't rely ads to bring you money, you have to rely your actual art. You make movies? Think about getting an actual job in animation while making your own films, or you could make a paysite. There are plenty of alternatives to relying on ads for your income, you just have to find them.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-05 02:26:49

At 8/4/14 09:39 PM, Zachary wrote:
At 8/4/14 06:51 PM, Player-exe wrote: My problem with Newgrounds isn't even with the views, it's with the way it handles comments and votes. YouTube allows only one vote by user on a video, while Newgrounds allow one by IP address by day, that's just perfect for any troll who wants to watch the world burn, and the way comments are working here doesn't allow someone to reply to a reply to a comment like YouTube does, so the discussion is almost inexistent for a video.
Newgrounds "comments" are not for people to bicker back and forth off topic, they are for reviews, which is exactly why they are called reviews. They are for feedback for the animators/developers/artists/musicians.

Then the problem is that you can't comment at all, not every single thing said about an animation needs to be a review.

Also, Svivel is a good software for converting Flash videos, but it ruins the colour of the video, and it's incredibly annoying to use because every single time you start it you are forced to see a splash screen with an intro music that is too loud and to wait until the intro animation is done to use it.
Are you really complaining about a FREE program that converts SWF to videos because it has a splash screen? God damn, that is ungrateful. As for the color, I have never had a problem using it so I assume you must be setting something up improperly.

Swivel is the only single software I found to feature audio it its splash screen, I'm not complaining on something that they couldn't do, I'm complaining on something they put time to put in place.
As for the color problem, it doesn't support properly color spaces, giving washed colors with H.264 videos.

Response to YouTube and Animators 2014-08-05 02:38:46

At 8/3/14 01:22 PM, TomFulp wrote: These past few days a number of prominent animators have come out about the bleak future of animation on YouTube. Commenters keep opining, "If only there was an alternative to YouTube!" I'm here to tell you, there IS an alternative to YouTube and you're looking at it.

For the past 10 years, the first site I choose to go after my home page (yeah, I'm a big Hockey Nut, so I go to nhl.com first) has been Newgrounds. I always check the portal and see some of the best animations going in the world today.

Tom, you've made something great and while people like Zuckerberg and Page / Brin have made commercial giants of their brands, you've run the underground from your basement through good times and bad. This palce is here to stay and I feel it a crowing achievement of my own to say that I've met you and received a golden tin of beans from your very hands.

Thank you, Tom, you've guided more than a generation and inspired creativity. Keep doing what you do!

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature