00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Vaittus just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Game Jam 10 & Throwback Thursday

12,798 Views | 50 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Game Jam 10 & Throwback Thursday 2014-06-27 22:21:19

At 6/27/14 02:42 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 6/27/14 02:05 PM, squidly wrote: Or we can dust out the Core Design Diagram from Game Jam 8, that was fantastic, maybe have a 'random core design generator' that would force you to design around a randomly assigned core concept.
Maybe I could build some bastard cousin of IdeaTron who shits out core design diagrams...

I vote for this idea.

Also in regards to the duration of the jam, 1 month might be a bit much...maybe 3 days or 1 week.

Response to Game Jam 10 & Throwback Thursday 2014-06-28 04:31:37

Picked out a few at random for review, I recognize way too few of these apart from the most recent. Another groovy list!

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Game Jam 10 & Throwback Thursday 2014-06-28 09:52:31

At 6/27/14 06:43 PM, Pjorg wrote:
At 6/27/14 12:50 PM, grandbrinus wrote:
I can understand the interest for this type of games. But i think it's near impossible to fit entirely the theme (unless you accept some exceptions).
But it's a project i find interesting. I saw that challenge presented as a dare on a website's comment (not on NG but i forgot where i read it) and i have already work on an iconographic system.
Look at a game like Super Mario Bros... It's probably the most famous game of all time, but what little text it does use mostly exists just as some princess dialogue excuse plot. I think to say that game couldn't be made without words is pessimistic.

Without texts doesn't mean without dialogue. Of course, it's included, but it mean no game title and no interface too.
In Super Mario Bros, you have a "Pause", a menu for choosing player number, a menu for "game over", a life counter, a score, a timer and level titles. The most of them can be replaced by icons. But will the game become as intuitive as it already is ? I'm not sure but it's my opinion ;)

Response to Game Jam 10 & Throwback Thursday 2014-06-28 20:27:12

-Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue

-Make two different games that share a universe/storyline, or just otherwise complement each other

-Hands (like your hands, or clock hands, apparently there's a band named hands, dealing a card hand)

-You Play As A Zombie. I say "AS" a zombie, not like you breed them as an army, or you shoot them as a survivor, but you actually ARE one.

-2d to 3d and 3d to 2d
where you could use 2d software like flash to make an apparently 3d game, or 3d software like unity to make an apparently 2d game.

Response to Game Jam 10 & Throwback Thursday 2014-06-29 08:58:30

It sounds really cool
more ideas for the theme jam:

Animal Welfare
Down with the kings
Babies
Music
Trash
Poor and Rich
fast food
Cute

Response to Game Jam 10 & Throwback Thursday 2014-06-29 22:42:01

At 6/28/14 08:27 PM, Newbie97 wrote: apparently there's a band named hands

I'm voting hands

really though

Response to Game Jam 10 & Throwback Thursday 2014-06-29 22:53:55

I have the shell of an idea for a Game Jam theme. Maybe someone can help flesh it out, or give it a bit more direction?

My idea is:Google results

Each member of the team searches their username on google images. The first image that comes up that isn't just a person, or something connected to their actual Newgrounds account acts as something that must be integrated into their game.

I think there is definitely room to fine tune this idea.
Thoughts?

GAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Game Jam 10 & Throwback Thursday 2014-06-30 08:55:33

I like the Katamari theme idea. Or a similar theme I was thinking was 'Collecting'.

Small-ness (pitiful existence of man, or literally a mouse, Katamari anyone?)

Response to Game Jam 10 & Throwback Thursday 2014-06-30 10:09:39

At 6/28/14 08:27 PM, Newbie97 wrote: -Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed, Something Blue

When you think about it, this sounds a lot like Sonic Generations.

Radaketor is my gay lil' buddy.

GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Response to Game Jam 10 & Throwback Thursday 2014-07-01 08:13:26

A theme idea I've been thinking about for a while is "Non-violent action games". Most video games are about war and guns, which is usually because these are settings with action and projectiles. There are non-violent games out there, but they never seem to involve a "combat" type game mechanic. The fighting systems that have evolved in games over time don't really require the games to be about war. It'd be interesting to see if people could come up with ways of creating action games without a violent theme that shooter or action adventure game players would still like.

BBS Signature

Response to Game Jam 10 & Throwback Thursday 2014-07-02 22:57:55

Darn, I'm going to be busy with familty stuff nearly every weekend this month. Argh! I guess I'll have to wait for the next Ludum Dare to get my jam fix.

I'm seeing some really good themes here! Although I won't be participating, I'd like to offer one (although it was already sorta mentioned)...

-gravity

...only because there's so much that can be done with it.

Response to Game Jam 10 & Throwback Thursday 2014-07-05 01:06:57

I'm pretty new here, and I didn't had the chance to check most of the stuff on that list, but I spotted Daymare Cat in there, in the games listing and that's one of my very favs from Skutnik's works <3

Response to Game Jam 10 & Throwback Thursday 2014-07-08 05:01:43

If somebody is looking for a composer for this weekends game jam, here i am ;) My music has a quite broad range in stiles. It would be awesome actually if the Jams topic would be horror based... Here are some examples of my music:
Grotesque fairground music:

Orchestral stuff:

Jazzy bossa nova:

Sad musique box melody:

Relaxing fantasy atmosphere background loop:

Creepy music to some french poem:

If you are interested you can find much more at my soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/zhthar

Response to Game Jam 10 & Throwback Thursday 2014-07-08 19:36:40

Here are my suggestions for a the Game Jam's theme:

1.) Liberate
2.) The Trojan War
3.) Prison Break
4.) Rap Battle 1981
5.) World Cup Stadium
6.) Snakes

Response to Game Jam 10 & Throwback Thursday 2014-07-09 19:39:48

uGrounds related announcement. Been working heavily for the past 3 days or so; should have "Jam Version" up in time for the Jam. Bulk of my coding time has been on an error management system. (First version worked 90% of the time and had no built in debug); Jam Version includes:

From the original:
1.) Medals
2.) High Scores
3.) Register Session

New Features:
1.) Task Scheduling: In the original I advised users to not send commands more than once every 5 seconds. Task Scheduler handles this for you; you may send as frequently as you wish.
2.) Error Management: Commands now wait for proper response from the server and will retry up to five times on connection error. Additionally; unlocked badges will be stored locally (in the user data of the user's browser) and any that failed to unlock will be unlocked on next login.
3.) Referrals: Commands including loadMySite and loadNewgrounds will work.
4.) Basic Saves: Saved files must be plain text only (sorry; the structure that allowed bitstream ones to work in flash isn't available in Unity). You will be able to load save files in a list and load them; but not search them or load by clicking outside the game.
5.) Load Scores: Query to load a list of high scores into the game.
6.) Offline Testing: I technically had this in the first version; but I made it easier for other developers to use.

New Applets:
1.) Debug console. Appears only if Debug.isDebugBuild is true; (this variable is set when building out a copy to upload). Appears when "~" is pressed; shows the Debug logs.
2.) Default Badge Popup. Unlike the flash version this one can be set to appear in any of six locations, [Top, Bottom] x [Left, Center, Right].
3.) Default High Score Page.

Response to Game Jam 10 & Throwback Thursday 2014-07-10 21:58:12

At 7/9/14 07:39 PM, Bcadren wrote: blah blah blah

lol, what?

Response to Game Jam 10 & Throwback Thursday 2014-07-11 13:51:22

When the theme will be announced? Or is it a mystery? ;)

Response to Game Jam 10 & Throwback Thursday 2014-07-11 14:37:10

At 7/11/14 01:51 PM, pluss wrote: When the theme will be announced? Or is it a mystery? ;)

6PM you weenus

Response to Game Jam 10 & Throwback Thursday 2014-07-11 14:54:01

At 7/10/14 09:58 PM, BoobMarley wrote:
lol, what?

Unity API. And ID if I'll actually have it up by 6PM like I thought. Stuff came up. It'll be up in time for people to use though. If there are actually any other Unity people here. >_>;

Response to Game Jam 10 & Throwback Thursday 2014-07-11 16:26:45

I'd be interested, but only if it works. The last thing I need is more code to debug :)

At 7/11/14 02:54 PM, Bcadren wrote:
lol, what?
Unity API. And ID if I'll actually have it up by 6PM like I thought. Stuff came up. It'll be up in time for people to use though. If there are actually any other Unity people here. >_>;

Response to Game Jam 10 & Throwback Thursday 2014-07-11 20:14:37

At 7/11/14 04:26 PM, xyzzygames wrote: I'd be interested, but only if it works. The last thing I need is more code to debug :)

At 7/11/14 02:54 PM, Bcadren wrote:
lol, what?

The old version from February still works. Bulk of the time I've spent coding was error handling. New features that aren't that take relatively little time.