00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Static73 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How bad is my writing?

524 Views | 2 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How bad is my writing? 2014-05-02 18:17:55

Along with drawing I just started trying to write as I have these ideas floating around in my head that I think would make for a pretty neat story.

One story I am working on is in a not too outlandish futuristic setting, revolving around a group of expendable soldiers tasked with assassinating some dude who might not be that bad.

Here are two random samples from what I have so far. Spelling errors aside how bad is it? What do I need to work most on?

"Elissa woke from her sleep, gasping desperately for a breath of air to fill her empty lungs. She coughed violently attempting to do so, getting to the point where her abdomen began to burn. The fit eventually resided, being able to breath again she sat up right, sweat covered her smooth tan skin, pooling in places. After her father passed away, it wasn't uncommon for Elissa to suffer from the occasional nightmare. Since her incarceration they had gotten worse, often her nightmares involved depictions of her parents, centering specific memories of them before she signed on to the Tactical Infantry. It always felt like a trap to her, often they would repeat themselves, ending in some tragic event that Elissa never was able to change. Elissa brushed aside her brown hair that was matted to her moist face, she looked around hoping that by some odd chance that she had dreampted everything up. It was disheartening still being surrounded by the thick, coarse concrete walls that made up her cell. She had been in a prisoner for sometime now, to Elissa it seemed like ages, although there really was no definitive way of determining how much time has passed since her incarceration. Her cell offered no clues, for the most part she was stuck in isolation. Which for Elissa, wasn't necessarily a bad thing as she liked to spend time alone, although she prefer that it wasn't done in this manor."

""This was picked up by a comms buoy, over Ymir a few months back." he quickly added.

The recording started off with a drone of static, abruptly cutting off to a dark, yet soft spoken voiceover.

"I have done many questionable things... stained my hands with the blood of camrads." said the voice, taking several drawn out pauses. "Your leaders... without action, their words are empty, scattered to the winds..."

"Why don't you skip ahead." commented the General, continuing with his meal.

The officer placed his hand back over the black metal device.

"We will clense our lands. Our fleets rolling forth... planet after plant... system after system... annihilating them... incinerating them. And they say I'm the savage? They send men like me, so they can sleep at night, so they don't have to see what I have seen. What is it when savages accuse savages?" the voice continued, sounding tired and broken."

Response to How bad is my writing? 2014-05-10 21:49:01

Nice descriptions! One thing I noticed was that your sentences were generally quite long. Just as it's bad to have too many short sentences, it's not great to have so many long sentences. Also, try to check for words that are spelled similarly but have different meanings. This can drive a reader crazy. I like the story though, keep working on it!

while*

attempting to do so......

wasn't done in this manor."

Response to How bad is my writing? 2014-06-05 17:05:46

I'm really liking what I see! Like Sylvrn said, I think you really have a knack for description. Especially in the first paragraph, there's a good amount of showing rather than telling. I also think dialogue is one of your strong points, particularly the very last quote in your post. One thing I think you can improve upon is editing. Checking for minor little grammar issues, comma placement, and so forth could make your piece end up looking a bit more polished. Other than that, keep writing!